Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

He looked like for a second they were going to have him throw down with King but then they moved away from that.

He handled Page One but aside from that and mook stomping (Fishman Island what up) he really hasn't had a big win since Water 7  maybe. But then again that is half or a quarter of the crew anyway. Story focus and all that.

Edited by Wellman

I don't think Oda has forsaken Sanji.  I think Oda realized he had too many characters to focus on and didn't want to give himself Naruto or Bleach style problems.  Sanji is just one of the few characters there we'll developed enough to have a way to write him out of the fight without having to give him the short shrift. 

It was either that or have Zoro get lost on way, which would have been even worse.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah Haki started getting complicated once we started seeing a physical manifestation of it post time skip vs what was somewhwta shown pre time skip? 

the short is, the Ryuo (aka Haki) we see Luffy train doing in Wano is the advanced tech dubbed emission haki (that magic glowing aura outside the black skinned armament we are used to). Zoro is shown using base armament haki and can extend it to his weapons (AKA imbune) but nothing beyond that. Enma looks like it pulls out that armament haki out of the user. 

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Haki/Busoshoku_Haki

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Enma

Yeah, as much as I'm a Sanji fan I don't think he'd have much to contribute here.  He'd basically be doing as well as Killer is out there, just lacking big enough hacks on offense to be a credible threat to a Yonko.  At least Zoro has a magic sword and a couple of useful special attacks in the Big Mom match-up.

Edited by Reticently
2 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

So I guess the way for Zoro to make up for his lack of advanced haki tech is to channel more haki into Enma? That's odd because if somehow he loses that sword in a fight, then he becomes useless.

I'd say it's more like Zoro needs to tame Enma so it works with him perfectly when he needs to cut. I wouldn't be surpised if he accidently gets this advanced haki as it was hinted waaaay back in the story (I think White Shadow brought this up long ago when we hear about Ryuo)

On 1/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, Reticently said:

Speaking of Zoro, I was a little disappointed that Mihawk didn't cited as one of the people Kaido knows can fight him.  I know that the list wasn't supposed to be exhaustive, because Garp wasn't shown either.  But it still would have been nice to see Mihawk's strength clarified a bit, given that Zoro is now fighting Yonko himself.

Perhaps they just never met. Mihawk seems to like keeping a low profile. We'll probably hear more about him since they're trying to mess with him now. Bad idea!

spacer.png

Edited by Sacr3D
  • 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I have a hard time believing that Luffy can beat Law. He's so goddamn broken the only way to neutralize him would be with some Katakuri level observation haki. 

I wonder how far this battle will go because so far Kaido and Big Mom seems to still be messing around. They don't seem super threatened.

Kaido seems to truly underestimate the next gen, plus keep in mind that Kaido already fought the Kine'mon crew so while I assume he's got the stamina to handle multiple fights, he did get softened up a smidge. I do like seeing each of these guys for now hold their own and everyone showing they can put up a fight. Big Mom is a good defense though but I lol'd at her shock of Luffy resisting a lightning attack. Like DOES EVERYONE FORGET THIS!? Giving me the Enel flashback there!

When you think about Kaido's short list of people he's actually had to worry about, it's not really surprising that he's still underestimating the Worst Gen.  Hell, wasn't he trying to kill himself by skydiving without a parachute at one point, and just walked it off?  I think he's still got a huge amount of gas in the tank.  Frankly, while he's fighting this whole time he's also carrying the whole damn island.  If he really wanted to fuck shit up he could just drop it and see how many people it takes out (yeah that would massacre his own people too, but he may not care that much).

8 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

Sometimes I have a hard time believing that Luffy can beat Law. He's so goddamn broken

Law's DF is broken, but he does run into match-up problems with anybody that can tank gamma knife hits.  He might be able to take Luffy, but Luffy probably has fewer bad match-ups one on one.

This chapter has me guessing this is Round 1 of the fight and some how it will get broken up. How I don't know but this fight is not going to end on the roof of Kaido's flying fortress and we will see another all out fight potentially with them taking on Kaido and Big Mom separate from each other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, Reticently said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1005/

I take my Sanji criticisms back-  guy was just setting the whole thing up to score points with Robin 😉

Also, it was a good chapter for boobs.

Opposite for me. Sanji has been nerfed so hard post time skip. He was one of the monster trio and now he's just helpless. He almost died on fisherman island because he had a massive nose bleed. Had to be rescued by Luffy countless times and now he STILL can't hit a woman. You don't wanna hit a woman? Okay fine. At least subdue them or something. Good thing he's not in the fight against Big Mom he would just be useless. Nah son Oda did Sanji dirty. He was one of my favorites but now meh.

I still think Sanji is up there in power but yeah, Oda will need to do some work to get him back where he should be as part of the Monster Trio.

Spoiler

It looks like he is going to be paired off with Jack, which is fine except we saw Jack get wrecked earlier by the samurai. Sanji let himself get messed up by Black Maria but I am still expecting him to do something else because big you got Luffy and Zoro taking on two Emperors then Sanji shouldn't be stuck beating up on the shrimp of Kaido's top forces, I forgot what they are called. But I won't lie I am pissed off him and King never materialized and want to see that fight. Over King v Marco.

After years of being called the Jobber Commander of the Whitebeard Pirates my dude Marco finally gets some serious shine! Dude out here performing some very advanced-looking techniques while styling on 2 Yonko commanders. 

So some interesting things I've noticed these last 2 chapters...

1. Sanji being unable to use armament haki to preotect himself from Black Maria's blows since haki is literally willpower he can't "will" himself to use it. Personally, I think Sanji's backwards chivalry is nonsensical but I've accepted it over the year. And just so you guys know from a cultural angle, many Japanese women find Sanji's whole schtick of being a gentleman chef attractive so I guess it has its specific cultural appeal.

2. Hyogoro accessing his younger, stronger form through the virus putting him through the wringer seems to be continuing theme with. Doflamingo crewmember Lao G was also able to access his full youthful power using his Jio-ken style.

3. It seems there's a limit to Marco's regenerative abilities since he's showing signs of bleeding and fatigue. I wonder if this Devil Fruit also has that unique side effect of draining the user's life force if used too much a la Law's Ope Ope no mi?

4. Black Maria's devil fruit is unusual, and it's interesting that she can sprout webbing from her fingers. Hm... I wonder if the spider is actually the true "Black Maria" and the female body is simply and attractive marionette to deceive enemies?

5. The animal/ tech? surveillance network that is being used is quite useful. One of the Strawhats like Stealth Black Sanji or Franky needs to deal with it. I can't tell if it's Queen's work or a DF ability yet...

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

The dwindling party trope goes hand and hand with Samurai stories just like single stroke clashes and dudes yelling about honor. 

That being said yeah I ain't feeling it but at least we got another taste of the main dish. Also jack ass Orochi is alive, was hoping they actually killed him.

21 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Oh shit 

Hide contents

Luffy go that third wind. And about time we see asura... Although Zoro not even knowing about haki surprises me.

But I have to remember he is Luffy dumb so Mihawk probably just talked around that.

He obviously knows about Haki just not conqueror's.