Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

He could even know about conqueror's haki, and just got confused by Kaido thinking that Zoro might be using it to break through Kaido's toughness.

That's true. Zoro has been using Asura for a very long time and I never once thought it was related to conquerors' haki. Unless  it can manifest in different ways? I always thought Asura was killing intent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Reticently said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1012/

Sanji with the oblique Trigun reference this week.

That was wild, wouldn't have expected it but yeah clearly Oda got to be a fan to put that in.

Spoiler

I love Ulti's design but woman fucked up striking Tama like that. She even got Nami upset enough to start getting serious never mind Big Mom standing right there.

Also we better Perspero or whatever is about to get rocked. Now that Cat Viper knows what is going on... But I get he is just linking up but could no one have gotten word about Pedro dying until just then?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reticently said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1015/

Shit ton going on in this chapter.

Hide contents

Sanji with the clear MVP move this chapter, and gave Zoro a pathway back into the fight as well.

Luffy with the Voice

Nami with a likely big power-up

RIP Kinemon

Spoiler

Damn Oda made Kine'mon's death definitive now, R.I.P. to a real G. Foxfire.  *pours sake*

I had a feeling Luffy would be rescued by Law's sub, but I had hoped it would be Seakings making a surprise appearance. Still cool either way. It's nice to see that Sanji is taking on a guy with a higher bounty and strength than Jack. I'm curious to see what an all-out Sanji looks like at this stage.

Luffy's Voice of All Things can now communicate with others, the way it works seems so dubious I'm still trying to make sense of it as it's apparently distinct from Observation Haki.

Unrelated to this chapter I had a revelation the other day while reading up on Norse mythology. I read about the god Tyr, who lost his arm (to Fenrir), and is the Norse god of justice, war and a guarantor of good faith. Amongst the Vikings he was evoked when making deals and treaties to show said good faith.

In addition to pirate history, Oda is a big fan of Norse mythology due to growing up being inspired by a Viking cartoon growing up. As we've seen with Shanks— he lost an arm, and seems to be always taking a more diplomatic approach with his enemies, to the point where even the very Gorosei weren't worried bringing him amongst them. I'm getting the strong impression Oda loosely based Shanks off Tyr and his presence in the story is meant to mirror his fate.

I get the feeling that Shanks ascent to Yonko-dom was based on an oath rather than a desire for power, one he took so seriously (likely after the reveal of "Laugh's Tale"/ One Piece) that made his goal after Roger's death to  usher in the New Age that will fulfill the "Will of D". 

I guess I should also note that in the end of Tyr's story he loses his life slaying a hellhound in battle during Ragnarok. Hmm...

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*

Honestly if they are doing it right, they should test live action market and tech not by trying to adapt the manga/anime but come up with an original story with a less fantastic side character who has more manageable abilities.

That way if works or there is a buzz for more you have basis to work with.

Edited by Wellman
Spoiler

Well I guess folk who were hoping for that Zeus based Nami power up to stick have gotten their wish. Although for a second I wondered why they were saying Momo was dead because I forgot he and Shinobu did fall off a cliff previously.

Shocked Kaido and his forces not seeing a body still like to claim victory.

6 hours ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

Well I guess folk who were hoping for that Zeus based Nami power up to stick have gotten their wish. Although for a second I wondered why they were saying Momo was dead because I forgot he and Shinobu did fall off a cliff previously.

Yeah, Momo might be fucked if he fell in the ocean by himself.  But he's got a literal ninja with him, and also doesn't his dragon form fly?

9 hours ago, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

Reminder that Kaido isn't the most intelligent of enemies. Momo was in his hands literally and he tosses him back into the burning castle assuming he will merely die there. I personally blame his excessive drinking for his poor decision making. 

• 2 weeks later...

^ I was just about to post this. lol

Some interesting developments...

Spoiler

— It seems Queen did work with Judge, Vegapunk and Caesar after all... but clearly went a different path with his experimentation seeing as he couldn't recreate the effects of SMILE. I guess he has a preference for cybernetics...

— I know Zoro is a durable MOFO but he's broken multiple bones, even if his stamina is restored this medicine must also have some regenerative effects for it be useful. Either way it's good that he'll be back in the game soon.

— Who's Who version of Rokushiki is quite cool. The Fang and Blade Shigan techniques will look cool animated. I wonder if he has his own variant of Rokuougan as well? But the bigger revelation is that he was sent to Impel Down for not being able to guard the Gomu Gomu no Mi (which is ridiculous considering he lost to Shanks' crew) but I believe this harsh punishment was because this was probably a direct order from Im. 

— As for the importance of the Gomu Gomu no Mi to higher ups, I believe the fruit has more symbolic value than being a genuine utility— unlike the Ope Ope no MI. Methinks Joy Boy might've been the original user of the Gomu Gomu no Mi and Im seeks to eradicate even the slightest hint of his memory along with knowledge of the Void Century. Evidence of this fanaticism to keep history at bay was how Ohara was destroyed for even the faintest knowledge of the past, and how the World Government tried many times to destroy the nigh-indestructible poneglyphs even though only a handful of people could read them (now only Robin).

This isn't to say that the Gomu Gomu no Mi won't be of any significance later on (awakening is long overdue IMO), but that this isn't why the WG was interested in guarding it. 

1 hour ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

I believe the fruit has more symbolic value than being a genuine utility

It likely does something of value, or I think it probably would have already been in a vault somewhere rather than on a transport ship.  Having to move it means they didn't already have it on lockdown.  That could be because it had been lost for a long time, but devil fruit don't generally seem to stay lost for long.

My pure guess is that it hard counters something important.  Maybe one of the Ancient Weapons is electricity based, or maybe it cause some other weird effects like the Yami Yami no Mi's powers to rebound off.

• 2 weeks later...

...and we're back this week: 

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1019/

Sanji not yet breaking a sweat vs Queen, Luffy may be back in action before Zoro at this point, Frankie in a hell of a fight, and Yamato's even stronger than advertised (still no Kaido though).

Spoiler

Am I right that she seems to have a Mythological Zoan type Kirin fruit?  That should be up there with Marco the Phoenix for how strong it is.

Nothing from Who's Who this week though.  I was  expecting a little more exposition there, even if the fight's over.

Edited by Reticently

Yeah it looks like they are wrapping up some of these battles, would expect either Robin/Brook or one of the remaining samurai in next week if it doesn't pick up where left off this one

Spoiler

Damn that new form Yamato looks dope. Hope we get see it full action.

Also I wonder if Oda purposely made it so that bandages are hindering Zoro's recovery due to that old web comic with him and Chopper or if this just one of those hilarious coincidences.

• 2 weeks later...

Allow me this week

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1020/

Spoiler

A. Black Maria is both desirable and undesirable with that half Spider design. That feels like Oda doing that on purpose.

B. Surprised that piece of crap is getting run in the main story again. Aside from the cover story I don't remember him being mentioned anywhere else in this arc.

C. Brook and Robin make a nice team. Can't wait to see Robin perform this move next week.

Edited by Wellman

Damn that was even better then what I was expecting from the end of last week. 

Edit

Spoiler

Still trying to make out that last panel and what was Robin and what was Black Maria.

But Momo getting a potential age up is something I never considered. Let alone Shinobu being the catalyst.

Edited by Wellman
4 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Robin is so pretty here! I never join anime discussions online if I can help it, but I wonder what you guys think of Wano so far?

I like it, it isn't Marineford week after week of OMG stuff, but as a arc it has been nice and we actually get to see everyone do some things. Only weakness so far it does kind of get scatter shot with your attention. A lot is going on but for me I still want the main course dishes ie Kaido vs Luffy and Law/Kidd vs Big Mom with a side of Sanji vs Queen but we still feel like that is multiple chapters away from getting any of that.

55 minutes ago, Wellman said:

main course dishes ie Kaido vs Luffy and Law/Kidd vs Big Mom with a side of Sanji vs Queen but we still feel like that is multiple chapters away from getting any of that

Especially with a lot big names still in play on Kaido's side.  King vs Marco, Jack vs the dog/cat combo, half the Tobi Roppo is still running around, Perospero, etc etc

Shit, even Zoro is pretty much guaranteed to get a second go-around with somebody.

Spoiler

While I'm not sure about the exact details of how Hawkins' gimmick works, Killer can probably attack Hawkins in the arm Kid is missing.

Interesting to note that King and Queen combined to hurt Marco worse than Kizaru managed.  Though keeping Marco down seems to be mostly impossible without seastone or similar.