Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

On 8/27/2021 at 9:33 AM, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

Latest Chapter is out and Holy Shieeet!  

https://onepiecechapters.com/manga/one-piece-chapter-1023

Some really interesting reveals:

Reveal hidden contents

LunariansThese might be the ones who are behind the lost civilization. Sanji's Lineage Factor was likely manipulated by Judge to contain some Lunarian properties hence the subconscious fire manipulation. The Raid suit might be further augmenting Sanji's abilities which is why he feels off. However, I think it goes deeper. This might explain all the elemental properties we've seen used in the different races. Fishmen and Mermen with water manipulation, Minks with electricity manipulation and why certain characters including Luffy could use certain techniques to conjure fire a la Red Hawk. Lunarians might've created all these different races by being master manipulators of the Lineage Factor which is why they were seen as gods.

The Shandians, Birkans, and Skypeians are either descendants or separate ethnicities of the Lunarians, and the Red Line might hint of a great calamity that befell that Kingdom. This clearly ties into the abandoned civilization on the moon and the automatons than Enel now controls. I still don't know what this has to do with Space Pirates however.

Zoro finally has some of his origins expounded on after 1000 chapters and unsurprisingly he shares lineage with Ryuma, how a descendant of Wano found himself in the East Blue is interesting...

I'm 90% sure that after the major events of Wano conclude we will finally see Vegapunk, these revelations are right in line with a face reveal. Oda said ages ago that once he appears all the secrets of the Devil Fruits will be answered which is likely why he's been holding him back for so long. He might even be one of "them".

I'm So Hype Right Now!!!

damn.  Whenever I click any of those links I get a 404.  Any ideas why?

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Dumb random question: Wtf does Doflamingo look like without glasses? I've heard Oda gave a joke response but I'm curious what he really looks like

Probably will never be answered tho 🤣

That is right it is one of those things we will probably never know. Like if Gin from the Baratie arc ever is alive or not on the Grand Line or WTF anybody the stuff from Eneru's cover story arc has to do with the story directly.

• 2 weeks later...

New chapter is nice.

Spoiler

We got some Kaido & King shared backstory, which is interesting. 

And damn given all the damage he got this chapter, I feel bad for King. Zoro cut him straight up the middle earlier (I hope he was wearing the OP equivalent of a cup) and that last panel clearly shows one of his natural wings have now been clipped. But with this out the way all we have left is Kaido, Big Mom and some government assassins. We may see this arc's big fights end by Valentine's day depending on how Oda sets it up. But I think SJ usually takes a two or three break for New Years so that guess might be too soon.

Ah Yes!

Spoiler

Roronoa Zoro has ascended! King's backstory is quite interesting and his relationship with Kaido was a lot less adversarial than I expected. I always had this notion that Kaido brought all his minions to heel before adding them to his crew, but with King I guess they could identify with being hated, misunderstood "creatures".

What's crazy is that even with Zoro combining Conquerors Haki into his blades, namely Enma, he still couldn't cut King in his fired up form. That's  an insane level of durability and goes to show how crazily powerful the Lunarians as a race were. King was also able to casually conjure up fire with the same intensity as magma and manipulate it as well. I makes me wonder more about the nature of Logias and Devil Fruits as whole, and how they relate to the Lineage Factor.

Although there's a break next week I hope chapter 1036 will give us what we've been waiting for...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we are wrapping up, they talking Namekian minutes as was the case in Ennis Lobby but not too much now.

Spoiler

Somewhat unfortunate thay the previous chapter looked like Zoro chopped King's hand but it was only the wing and sword.

Usopp with that speech does make up for it.

Edited by Wellman
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Sacr3D said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/357/one-piece-chapter-1037

Whats with that ending whats going on???

Spoiler

I am not sure if Oda is doing the whole cut away stuff as a misdirection but it seems to imply, Zunesha is not just a giant long living elephant but a DF user? Also it looks like the approaching fleet is about to get flexed on.

Very nice chapter, got some action, intrigue and three things that were from before this arc I was wondering when they would reintroduce.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

If this is the end of the Kidd and Law vs Big Mom fight, I wish we could have seen more of it. But if it follows the structure all the other fights have Big Mom is getting knocked out with that last attack.

Hoping Izo will be ok, but it certainly looks bad given his state and him going against CP0. Yamato as well although I really wish we were free of the bomb subplot but I guess it gives him something to do.

Not a bad chapter. We really are moving to wrap this one up in the next few weeks. The question is now how will it end mostly for the non Strawhats.

16 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

Law is top tier. Seriously...

Him and Kidd are set up to be Luffy's near equals/rivals they got to be. Hope the anime takes the opportunity to flesh out the fight and show all the parties really get to go all out besides the few pages we have seen here and there. 

30 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Luffy is on a different tier to Law and Kidd at this point, fighting solo near equal to a Yonko.

All the top of the Worst Generation are close to each other in strength, but Law and Kidd individually are probably closer to Zoro and Killer than to Luffy right now.  

I wouldn't say that. While Kaido is a beast on his own, technically he beat Luffy already. Luffy just has been able to comeback to the field thanks to help from others including Yamato and Kaido's dumb decision to extend his power to lifting up the island. Also in terms of abilities Big Mom is broken. Three super strong familiars, the ability to generate more from all objects plus she gets a degree of strength from feeding on the various fodder around her. She might be the tougher of the two but not as focal to the arc.

I still wish they had explained how Kidd got out of prison. 

Edit: Also Zoro is not too far from all of them including Luffy. It was only for a second but tanking that combo hit earlier and still having enough to come back and wound Kaido is freaking nuts.  Killer is closer to Sanji then Zoro or the other three Captains.

Edited by Wellman

Nah, I mean yeah all the tiers are more compressed at the top.  But Luffy is figuring out how to crack the Yonko tier right now, and every body else we mentioned is around Marco or Katakuri level.

That's not really a knock, Marco was trading blows pretty handily with Big Mom in this arc too (though arguably they weren't interested in going all out on each other).

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Railgun no Jutsu.

Also, I realize space in the issue was probably a concern, but I would have liked to see Big Mom's trump cards get shown off a bit more.  Misery showed up a couple times, but was entirely off panel whenever anything important happened. 

Man my age must be catching up, I don't even remember a Misery homie being created before this chapter.

1 hour ago, Sacr3D said:

https://onepiecechapters.com/chapters/406/one-piece-chapter-1040

Someone explain to me how Luffy can possibly beat Law.

Luffy could technically be fast enough to dodge Law and deal more damage. But it is a situation we won't have to worry about since they are rival buddies.

Spoiler

Honestly I would not be surprised if she came back with Amnesia again. But that explosion puts a high bar for the anime when it comes to making the end of this fight.

21 minutes ago, KimuraLOX said:
  Hide contents

Anyone actually think Big Mom is dead? I'm guessing some last minute soul transfer shit cuz I don't think even she could tank that explosion, not in her state.

Probably just KO'd, which is all the narrative requires.

5 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Luffy could technically be fast enough to dodge Law and deal more damage

Yeah, observation haki to see into the future, plus Luffy's considerable speed and strength advantages.

It'd be a pretty dull fight to read though, because both of them would need to be doing things to win it all at once, and neither of them has an obvious defensive option against the other to prolong the fight.

On 1/31/2022 at 5:39 AM, TheInfernoman said:

Luffy no doubt grew a huge chunk when he leveled up his conquerors haki. On the other hand both Law and Kidd know how to use their awakening. Hard to really determine some of these power levels when many characters are leveling up during their fights this arc. 

@*.:White ShadoW:.*I summon thee for your opinion...when you can make it. 

I hath returned brethren! This is a good but tricky question but I would say Conqueror's Haki > *. Awakening is amazing, but much of Big Mom's defeat is attributed to the uniqueness of Law's Devil Fruit rather than just Awakening itself. K-Room just happened to have the rare effect that could bypass Big Mom's ridiculous defenses but most other Awakened abilities wouldn't have fared well, as we saw with Kidd who played mostly a Marvel assist role the whole fight.

But this arc isn't over yet, Luffy's Gear 4th has already displayed abilities that resemble an Awakened state, so I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy just refines it or find a way to take away the drawbacks somewhat...

But yeah Law and Kidd finally defeating Big Mom was glorious, and the R-Room was also strategically smart since it didn't alert anyone of destruction. Now there's only one real battle left, and I can't wait to see Luffy finally being pushed to his true limits!

LET'S GO!!!

Spoiler

Izo showing the WB crew haters that they can still get it done. And look at the turn of events, The Gorosei are so shook they want the CP0 to eliminate Luffy ASAP. What's telling is how the CP0 (presumed) leader is scared at the prospect of interfering. X-Drake is probably going to intervene anyway.

I absolutely love how Luffy when full anti-trope and didn't waste time watching Kaido weep, but instead went full offense mode. That panel of Luffy on the assault was clean! I wonder if the fact that he can't "see" Luffy's Hydra has to do with Luffy improving or that it's just the natura' result of dealing Snakeman when you don't have precog Observation haki? I think Luffy is going to need a bit more than a Snakeman attack to do Kaido in though...

I'm so hype for next week!

Man, I love this chapter and hate how it is teasing me into wanting the next chapter ASAP.

Spoiler

I hope Izo ain't down for good, seemed a damn fine sibling for Kiku and it would suck for her to keep stacking L's this arc. Drake being around makes me think he should be fine though.

Surprised the theories about the Elders talking about Luffy's fruit are true. Really was hoping it would be Otama's as a swerve.

Hiyori getting the last word on Orochi is cool, but I hope it isn't just him getting crushed under debris and she gets a stab or slash in their.

Luffy doing Luffy things... Still probably another four chapters before we done here.

It's kind of telling how far along the story is that 

Spoiler

a member of CP0 got murked before they were even well characterized as an antagonist.

I'm not surprised the other one is reluctant to go upstairs though.  There's basically two Yonko up there, and he's probably only around Marco/Katakuri level himself, given how his fights have shaken out so far.

4 hours ago, Reticently said:

It's kind of telling how far along the story is that 

Hide contents

a member of CP0 got murked before they were even well characterized as an antagonist.

I'm not surprised the other one is reluctant to go upstairs though.  There's basically two Yonko up there, and he's probably only around Marco/Katakuri level himself, given how his fights have shaken out so far.

Spoiler

I would say individual Akazaya 9 level, which to me is below Yonjo commander level. I mean if Izo hadn't got wreaked by Kaido and then held off his minions, would it have only been one of them that he got or both? These boys have been chilling while everyone else has been at war, a scuffle with Drake and a wounded Izo and he is ready to clock out.