Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

I seriously did not see this coming. 

Spoiler

Like "The Wellest of Men" I feel for Drake, he gave one more push to ensure Kaido's defeat but it was seemingly for naught. I really liked how Luffy wasn't goofing around and you can see him struggling just to remain conscious after taking massive hits. Which makes CP0's interloping all the more frustrating, but I still welcome a change a pace.

Kaido is by no means an honorable man-beast, but craves satisfaction. He knew that in this battle carried a sliver of a chance that he might lose and he took enjoyment in that, like with facing Oden 20 years back. The difference is now that this moment has been taken away from him a second time, he might do a temporary heel turn direct his ire not on that pitiful CP0 agent (I hope we see something similar to when Luffy nuked that Celestial Dragon with his fist) but the World Government as a whole. Keep in mind the reason why he spared Momonosuke 20 years ago from certain death was with the hopes he could actually be a challenge in light of Momo's father's defeat, so he does have some twisted sense of honor.

Hopefully that rampaging by Kaido might allow Luffy to recover or discover something greater— Awakening.

Oh and there's also Dragon Momonosuke and Zunisha who can run interference...

Spoiler

So Luffy is Joy Boy / Sun God Nika ?

Notice how the grin makes a sound that sounds like "Nika".  So could Luffy's fruit be something like Nika Nika? Smile Fruit? Sun fruit? Man it's going to be a long ass break.

I guess some of our theories are coming true

Edited by Sacr3D
On 3/11/2022 at 8:28 AM, Sacr3D said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So Luffy is Joy Boy / Sun God Nika ?

Notice how the grin makes a sound that sounds like "Nika".  So could Luffy's fruit be something like Nika Nika? Smile Fruit? Sun fruit? Man it's going to be a long ass break.

I guess some of our theories are coming true

Yes, it seems so. It also coincides with what was explained by Kaku regarding the Devil Fruits...

Spoiler

That they are inhabited by "devils". Devils could mean the souls or wills of the users. This is why Zoan  Devil Fruits can inhabit objects and come alive and have personalities unique to themselves like Spandam's elephant sword Funkfreed.

What we know as Gomu Gomu no Mi might have been inherited by Joy Boy, hence why World Government/ Im kept it under lock and key, because they couldn't afford for its "inherited will" to continue and also for the fruit to be available to regrow if the user died. This concept of will and fate also follows Blackbeard, since he just happened to find the Yomi Yomi no Mi by being on the right pirate crew, on the right ship.  I also feel that the Teach and Xebec are carrying the will of another "devil" in the form of the Yomi Yomi no Mi like Luffy is...

Also can we give it up to that CP0 agent that knew he was dead the moment he took on the mission and took his fate like a real G? 

I think we've seen him before, I never forgot that smile...

https://images.mangafreak.net/mangas/one_piece/one_piece_66/one_piece_66_2.jpg

https://images.mangafreak.net/mangas/one_piece/one_piece_66/one_piece_66_12.jpg

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*

So knowing all this, I can't help but thinking about Shank's motives and there are two options that come to mind.

Spoiler

He either planned all this from the beginning by stealing the Gomu Gomu fruit OR he didn't plan Luffy eating it and was a legit accident. In any case Shanks knows about what's going on than most people in One Piece. What did he even talk about with the 5 elders was he bargaining with them to spare the Straw Hats? Perhaps Roger told him something and he was trying to follow his will? Guess we'll find out soon enough

Look at all the references that reddit found: https://imgur.com/a/38SrtCz

Notice Luffy's silhouette in the last panel. Also, the moon looks like a D.

Edited by Sacr3D

I'm quite hopeful that Oda will make the whole revelation coherent and not *pure* deus ex machina. I would definitely hate if Luffy's victory was solely through Joyboy taking over. That said, it wasn't like Oda wasn't leaving substantial breadcrumbs involving Joyboy and the whole underlying narrative of fate and "The Will of D". 

I remember when Nico Robin save Monkey D Luffy and I wondered what made her heel turn in the grand picture. Only to find out 3 arcs later that her random sentimentality came from the kindness of Jaguar D Saul. Kid Nico Robin was also spared by Aokiji, whose mentor was Monkey Garp. Everything we've has been interwoven with a grander plan, the mercy and defiance of the D clan has been shaping the future in ways that the World Government nor Im cannot comprehend nor predict.

• 2 weeks later...

Huh.

Spoiler

Fucking Mythical Zoan!?

That being said, I don't much care for the hair.

Well we wanted an awakening, this looks to be as top as you can get. Stretching the ground shape changing and logically it makes more sense.

I still don't like that hair.

Edit: Props to Oda on that crying Hiyori close up, he can't help himself when it comes to crying snot but that face looks more beautiful then anything he has done with one of these types of panels since Robin.

Edited by Wellman
Spoiler

So his powers are literally based of classic cartoons with the eyes, silly sounds and all that. Gotta say it's imaginative. Like the Gorosei are saying. He's still rubber except that the awakening makes him stronger on top of that he can use his  "freedom" aka his imagination to do other things with his body. In a sense his can use his stretching in even wilder ways akin to looney tune characters.

Shanks:

Spoiler

Now this brings a lot of questions in regards to what Shanks was doing during the Reverie or even before. How did he get a hold of the Gomu Gomu no Mi in the first place. Did he even know about it's potential?

It was nicely done by Oda- if Luffy got this power from straight up losing to Kaido, it would just be deus ex machina bullshit.  But because Luffy lost on dirty outside interference, the power-up doesn't invalidate all the effort that went into the fight up until that point, /slowclap.

So Luffy's definitely yonko tier now, right?  If he was able to go one-on-one with Kaido before the big power up, I don't think anyone can question his level after this.

7 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

Shanks:

Hide contents

Now this brings a lot of questions in regards to what Shanks was doing during the Reverie or even before. How did he get a hold of the Gomu Gomu no Mi in the first place. Did he even know about it's potential?

Spoiler

Based on his reaction to Luffy eating the fruit and wanting to sell the fruit in Romance Dawn, he didn't know of the fruit's potential. It seemed like just a random raid on the Marines.

And regarding what we saw this chapter—

Spoiler

My Nika Luffy...

HOLY SHIEEET!!! Luffy has quite possibly the haxxiest broken ability in shonen manga history. Toon Force!!! There was a lot that Oda showed us in a short amount of time.

First off his, ability has a "Looney Tunes"-like reality manipulation not only on himself but others. Notice the eye-poppin' effects on the fully Zoan Kaido when he was being manhandled by Gear 5 Luffy? Also I believe there was some time manipulation as well. Luffy was able to intercept and rebound Kaido's Blast Breath while laughing, then recognizing, and reacting— all while the the beam looked stationary. It didn't look like a speed feat, which is why we didn't see Luffy in a blur or speed lines to display action. It was like he slowed everything to allow him to react. Insane!

Also him digging up the earth like carpet to repulse Blast Breath might be taken as turning the ground into rubber, but I think it might be more complex than that. He's literally altering the reality around him to suit whatever he imagines. 

And just as I said before, devil fruits, particularly Zoans, seem to have wills of their own. It's why awakened Zoans in Impel Down basically took over their human hosts. Luffy, on the other hand, still retains his personality but his laugh and mannerisms have changed to resemble Sun God Nika. It's also interesting that we haven't seem Luffy use any visible forms of armament, only conquerors, like he's surpassed that stage.

Also, this lends to my belief that the Yami Yami no Mi was also seeking Marshall D. Teach the same way the Gomu Gomu no Mi has a will of its own.

I've been also speculating this possibility for a while:

Spoiler

Oda drew his final panel of One Piece many years ago. Added with the fact that Roger and his crew laughed when they found out what One Piece truly was, I have a sinking feeling we might be witnessing a "Big O" scenario.

For those who remember the series and watched it until the very end, it was found out that the entire events in Big O were all a story written by a woman who wrote herself into the story... a story that she made play out and repeat over and over again. While I don't think the One Piece story repeats, I do believe that it might be a meta-fantasy, where Gol D. Roger realizes that this grand adventure had been an actual story all along... or at the very least a dream created by another entity.  This has no direct evidence, but it's still something I'm willing to consider in light of what I read this chapter.

This was a long 2 weeks, so glad no break next week! 

4 hours ago, Reticently said:

It was nicely done by Oda- if Luffy got this power from straight up losing to Kaido, it would just be deus ex machina bullshit.  But because Luffy lost on dirty outside interference, the power-up doesn't invalidate all the effort that went into the fight up until that point, /slowclap.

So Luffy's definitely yonko tier now, right?  If he was able to go one-on-one with Kaido before the big power up, I don't think anyone can question his level after this.

Lmeits still a deus ex powerup. He had a fucking built in Phoenix down power up

4 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Based on his reaction to Luffy eating the fruit and wanting to sell the fruit in Romance Dawn, he didn't know of the fruit's potential. It seemed like just a random raid on the Marines.

And regarding what we saw this chapter—

Reveal hidden contents

My Nika Luffy...

HOLY SHIEEET!!! Luffy has quite possibly the haxxiest broken ability in shonen manga history. Toon Force!!! There was a lot that Oda showed us in a short amount of time.

First off his, ability has a "Looney Tunes"-like reality manipulation not only on himself but others. Notice the eye-poppin' effects on the fully Zoan Kaido when he was being manhandled by Gear 5 Luffy? Also I believe there was some time manipulation as well. Luffy was able to intercept and rebound Kaido's Blast Breath while laughing, then recognizing, and reacting— all while the the beam looked stationary. It didn't look like a speed feat, which is why we didn't see Luffy in a blur or speed lines to display action. It was like he slowed everything to allow him to react. Insane!

Also him digging up the earth like carpet to repulse Blast Breath might be taken as turning the ground into rubber, but I think it might be more complex than that. He's literally altering the reality around him to suit whatever he imagines. 

And just as I said before, devil fruits, particularly Zoans, seem to have wills of their own. It's why awakened Zoans in Impel Down basically took over their human hosts. Luffy, on the other hand, still retains his personality but his laugh and mannerisms have changed to resemble Sun God Nika. It's also interesting that we haven't seem Luffy use any visible forms of armament, only conquerors, like he's surpassed that stage.

Also, this lends to my belief that the Yami Yami no Mi was also seeking Marshall D. Teach the same way the Gomu Gomu no Mi has a will of its own.

I've been also speculating this possibility for a while:

Hide contents

Oda drew his final panel of One Piece many years ago. Added with the fact that Roger and his crew laughed when they found out what One Piece truly was, I have a sinking feeling we might be witnessing a "Big O" scenario.

For those who remember the series and watched it until the very end, it was found out that the entire events in Big O were all a story written by a woman who wrote herself into the story... a story that she made play out and repeat over and over again. While I don't think the One Piece story repeats, I do believe that it might be a meta-fantasy, where Gol D. Roger realizes that this grand adventure had been an actual story all along... or at the very least a dream created by another entity.  This has no direct evidence, but it's still something I'm willing to consider in light of what I read this chapter.

This was a long 2 weeks, so glad no break next week! 

I like the idea that the one piece is some 1000 year old saki. This is the most oda type joke he'd do and id respect the fuck outta him for it. Half his fanbase would be so mad but him having a joke item as the one piece is perfect. 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Random thoughts 

:

-so zoan fruits all have their own will and possibly souls

-devil fruits didnt always exist

-luffys fruit is blatantly antigovt/anti celestial

Is it possible.. Devil fruits were created by the government using peoples souls? 

Spoiler

The fact that Luffy's is modeled after a mythical figure, almost confirms some sort spiritual essence, unless Oda is going to say Nika is a race of some sort.

For his sake and the localization teams around the world I hope he doesn't do that.

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

Is it possible.. Devil fruits were created by the government using peoples souls? 

I've had that feeling from the very beginning, unfortunately my entire treatise was deleted along with all of SRK, but essentially I tied it in with Davy Jone's Locker being another term for oceanic hell or the afterlife, which coincides with Devil Fruits being weak to the sea. The souls and artifacts of all who died in the lost civilization got turned/ reincarnated into Devil Fruits. Zunisha was likely a witness to the old civilization.

The only missing link is what the Lineage Factor has to do with all of this...

EDIT: I just realized that by coincidence, my previous review of chapter 1044 was my 100th post. WOOT!

4 minutes ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

I've had that feeling from the very beginning, unfortunately my entire treatise was deleted along with all of SRK, but essentially I tied it in with Davy Jone's Locker being another term for oceanic hell or the afterlife, which coincides with Devil Fruits being weak to the sea. The souls and artifacts of all who died in the lost civilization got turned/ reincarnated into Devil Fruits. Zunisha was likely a witness to the old civilization.

The only missing link is what the Lineage Factor has to do with all of this...

EDIT: I just realized that by coincidence, my previous review of chapter 1044 was my 100th post. WOOT!

Lineage as in the will of D? Originally i thought it was just a metaphor and not literal... But seeing how joy boy is real i dunno anymore

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

I wonder if we'll ever get any explanation on why the Nika fruit seems to work so differently from other zoans   Even other mythological zoans don't seem to have "always on" powers when the user isn't at least partly transformed.

Its probably because his has a life of its own. All the other zoans the user seems to be in the driver seat... Luffy doesnt exactly look like hes in full control. 

9 hours ago, Maxx said:

Lineage as in the will of D? Originally i thought it was just a metaphor and not literal... But seeing how joy boy is real i dunno anymore

The Lineage Factor is something that was elaborated by  Judge Vinsmoke. It is the genetic history of all animals, including humans. Judge, Caesar, and Vegapunk learned about it, but only Vegapunk seems to truly have full understanding of it as he has been able to replicate the powers of Devil Fruits in other beings and learned how to make objects "eat" Zoan Devil Fruits (Funkfreed for example). He also was able to create an artificial Devil Fruit with no drawbacks unlike Caesar Clown's SMILES in the form of Momonosuke's artificial DF, derived from Kaido's Lineage Factor. In Vinsmoke's case he learned how to manipulate the Lineage factor to modify his children's bodies, like with Sanji he unlocked Lunarian-like abilities.

It may be that the Will of D might have something to do with the Lineage Factor and not just direct heritage, which would explain why even a full giant like Jaguar D Saul is also a D.

Fortunately, Oda promised that we will meet Vegapunk after this arc and he will explain everything about Devil Fruits... unfortunately that could mean we'll know in 2024. 🤣

16 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

Despite Luffy's insane powerup, I still think Law is just as busted lol

I mean Law is basically reality warping and adjustment within a fixed area or object. Although yeah Luffy is right behind him now. Crazy how Kidd is the most grounded of the trio of Worst generation captains now.

8 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I mean Law is basically reality warping and adjustment within a fixed area or object. Although yeah Luffy is right behind him now. Crazy how Kidd is the most grounded of the trio of Worst generation captains now.

Theirs def an argument devil fruits all have souls because very rarely does a fruit feel like it doesnt match their users personality. 

8 hours ago, Reticently said:

Honestly, I expect Kidd will go back to being as irrelevant to the story as most of the rest of the Worst Generation, so we may never see any further development for him.

Law seems to be the only non-Strawhat from that group who's a high likelihood of staying somewhat in the story focus.

Its what happens when the editors forced them to happen in the first place