Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

5 hours ago, HD-Man said:

So the editors made Oda create and use the Worst Generation or am I reading your post wrong, Maxx???? 

Yeah oda talked about it a few years back. The worst generation weren't originally part of the story. 

This tells it a bit differently than i remember reading but overall same idea... Last minute idea and wasnt originally part of the story 

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/one-piece-anime-supernovas-new-details/

14 hours ago, TheInfernoman said:

So with the last revelation we had from the previous chapter, is it possible that Negrobeard and his Yami Yami no mi has also some secret to it that may get revealed? 

Remember Reverse-Vitiligobeard said that he felt that the Yami Yami no Mi wanted him to find it, the only difference that he earned it in a more treacherous way by killing his captain Thatch than Luffy and Gomu Gomu no Mi. 

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Wellman said:

It maybe just me but I hate when Bandai Namco do OP games and they make the characters look so plastic in this case clayish. I know the art style is difficult to do in 3D but there has to be a better way.

Get the cuphead niggas to do it lol

On 8/13/2021 at 10:56 AM, Wellman said:

I like it, it isn't Marineford week after week of OMG stuff, but as a arc it has been nice and we actually get to see everyone do some things. Only weakness so far it does kind of get scatter shot with your attention. A lot is going on but for me I still want the main course dishes ie Kaido vs Luffy and Law/Kidd vs Big Mom with a side of Sanji vs Queen but we still feel like that is multiple chapters away from getting any of that.

You wanna take that back?

19 hours ago, Dayaan said:

You wanna take that back?

Why? At the time I was right it was like November or December before we got a full chapter fights for Sanji vs Queen, etc. It is fantastic when it does these chapters without a doubt and recent development has been very much on a epic caliber but personally still this Raid arc has still been kind of scatter shot compared to Summit War/Marineford where you mostly followed Luffy and Whiteboard to a degree as they advanced.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

Why? At the time I was right it was like November or December before we got a full chapter fights for Sanji vs Queen, etc. It is fantastic when it does these chapters without a doubt and recent development has been very much on a epic caliber but personally still this Raid arc has still been kind of scatter shot compared to Summit War/Marineford where you mostly followed Luffy and Whiteboard to a degree as they advanced.

Oh I was just joking in light of current events.

2 hours ago, Wellman said:

I agree Marineford > Wano arc for me atm. Of course the Roger flashback the Yonkou fights and Luffy's reveal are very epic too but nothing super shocking besides the latest chapter. Marineford had more of a focus on things and had some crazy moments.

Also:

1nhricgmlaq81.jpg

14 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Yea, I'm gonna need to see this fight animated, I still can't wrap my mind around wtf I'm reading 

It's gonna be great especially with the looney tune sounds lol. Also I'm glad that his hair is white and not yellow like all these fan art mofos are drawing. No super Saiyan shit.

Edited by Sacr3D
13 hours ago, Wellman said:

That whole thing was weirdly phrased. He is at least seen as messing with them which can mean a number of things.

He seems to be just loosely affiliated, the Charcoalbeard crew clearly doesn't trust him.

And now for 1045... GOMU GOMU NO...

Spoiler

JUMPROPE! 🤣 I gotta say it's a relief to see that Luffy is still using his "Gomu Gomu No" moveset. The Gorosei weren't lying anout this being the most ridiculous power. What's interesting is seeing the accumulated damage on Kaido from Luffy's god mode attacks that would be lethal if not for the "Toon Force" warp. Kaido would've been dead if he got punched through the face in "reality" but instead his smushed head just bends and conforms back with some blood. It's cool but makes it hard to gauge just what kind of damage is being dealt. 

Conversely, Kaido's attacks are still hurting Awakened Luffy and draining his stamina even with his Toon Force powers, which is  cool. I'm seriously wondering what the consequences for Luffy will be after this arc, since it's clear once his Awakened mode is gone Luffy will be donezo, maybe for even month.

Luffy being able to runon air and alter his size casually is crazy enough, but it seems his Toon Force abilities can alter people who are just in the vicinity. Last chapter the only one affected was Kaido who he was physically touching, but Tama, Nami, Law, and Kidd were still affected by the "Loonification" of his power. This abilityto alter the world around him might be how Luffy will "destroy" Fishman Island like Madame Sharley prophesized.

My "Big O" theory might actually be correct...

2 hours ago, *.:White ShadoW:.* said:

Tama, Nami, Law, and Kidd were still affected

I think it may be the case that for the foreseeable future it will be difficult to separate what's literally an application of Luffy's ability from Oda's use of artistic license.  Like if Luffy's around and Sanji's eyes grow huge because he sees an attractive woman, now we have to wonder if shit is actually happening to Sanji's eyes.

Speaking of eyes, Kaido could NOT have been comfortable during that panel.

Luffy looking way more normal than before. Less giggles and more serious. His normal personality resurfaced and we also get a nice confirmation from Kaido that he now managed to control his awakening. The lightning grab though is a wtf to me... even by One Piece shenanigan's standard.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:04 PM, Sacr3D said:

Luffy looking way more normal than before. Less giggles and more serious. His normal personality resurfaced and we also get a nice confirmation from Kaido that he now managed to control his awakening. The lightning grab though is a wtf to me... even by One Piece shenanigan's standard.

If this series has taught me anything that questioning the fights is futile and just buckle in for the rides. Also weird faces of the Eww factor lol.

2 hours ago, GreyFoxx said:

If this series has taught me anything that questioning the fights is futile and just buckle in for the rides. Also weird faces of the Eww factor lol.

Yeah more then even coke bottle figured women and large breasts, Oda clearly loves snot leaking crying faces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2022 at 8:48 PM, TheInfernoman said:

while we wait, just going to leave this here

They've dropped hints throughout the series about the sun and luffy. This isnt a stretch just another fun easter egg for later ods seems to have planted this whole time

48 minutes ago, Maxx said:

They've dropped hints throughout the series about the sun and luffy. This isnt a stretch just another fun easter egg for later ods seems to have planted this whole time

Well yeah I know that but the point is how fun it is to see so much detail and subtly sprinkled in. We have been given over the years what may have been throwaway lines but in reality were Easter eggs the whole time which really shows the care this series is given. 

Nice chapter.

Spoiler

But in the real, I don't like the giant singular punch attacks. It would be cool if Luffy wrecked a chunk of the island but another variant of King Kong punch is a bit of a let down if this winds up being the final attack. But the fight has been nice so far, hoping the landing sticks.

• 2 weeks later...

Great art in this chapter, but I feel like Oda was stalling. 

Half the chapter was just rehashing stuff that's already well established.  I hope it was a stylistic decision Oda made so that he can improve the pacing of the next chapter, given that there's a good chance the Kaido fight could finally end there.

Edited by Reticently
On 4/22/2022 at 6:08 AM, TheInfernoman said:

@*.:White ShadoW:.* Remember that convo we had years back about:

Hide contents

What Roger's abilities could have been and you told me he must have had godlike haki? well...this chapter confirms it. 

Yes, it's funny that even back on OG SRK I called Shanks a "Haki God" explicitly. I can't wait to see him in action, I still think he might be able to conjure an arm manifested from pure ryuo haki when he does his serious sword techniques. He might've learned a thing or two from Gol D. Roger.

As for this latest chapter. It was mostly exposition, and I feel this is going to be torture for anime fans since this moment might be 2.5 episodes in total, but I hope Luffy does something new with this attack other than being a "Big Punch".  I love Kaido's  trump card though, I respect that he wants to end this in his full Zoan dragon form as well. He doesn't stray from his theme.

Also something I didn't address before. It seems despite Luffy's toon force healing he still can get harmed by cutting attacks, and with  how he looked when Gear 5 was wearing off Luffy might be out for a surprisingly long time. Like borderline catatonic, this may be the drawback that prevents him from activating Gear 5 willy nilly. I wouldn't be surprised if the next mini-arc (which shows the blowback from Kaido's defeat) goes on for half a year before Luffy recovers.