Stage Select

Fighting Game General


Recommended Posts

On 10/16/2020 at 3:54 AM, misterBee said:

  

 

Accent Core Plus R Steam version getting rollback beta just like KOF!

Hoping this gives +R a new lease on life. It's easily my favorite GG game and it's nice to see Arc continuing to give it some love. Hopefully they follow suit with all the other versions of the game besides the steam version. 

Link to post

You'd hope so considering all versions should be similar in terms of implementing rollback. 

 

Ideal world they branch out and start adding rollback to other franchises. Doing another GG makes sense as its maybe close enough structurally to make adding it after Strive not too bad (go for the hat trick and add it to Xrd too, fuck it). But it sure would be neat to see good rollback in GBVS and/or DBFZ.

Link to post
1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

You'd hope so considering all versions should be similar in terms of implementing rollback. 

 

Ideal world they branch out and start adding rollback to other franchises. Doing another GG makes sense as its maybe close enough structurally to make adding it after Strive not too bad (go for the hat trick and add it to Xrd too, fuck it). But it sure would be neat to see good rollback in GBVS and/or DBFZ.

I'd definitely go back to Granblue if they added rollback netcode.  It's a great game but the online is so frustrating 😢

Link to post
3 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I'd definitely go back to Granblue if they added rollback netcode.  It's a great game but the online is so frustrating 😢

Yeah I bought the damn thing and never even cracked into it really. Granted that was about the time I was really off of FGs but the general feelings on the GBVS netcode didn't exactly light a fire under me to fire it up.

Link to post
1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah I bought the damn thing and never even cracked into it really. Granted that was about the time I was really off of FGs but the general feelings on the GBVS netcode didn't exactly light a fire under me to fire it up.

Yeah, if you played during the initial 2 month 'hype' period it was okay since there were so many people playing.   If you were matched up with someone they were most likely close by.  I grinded up to S rank with Zeta.....  but once the game started to die out it was such a chore to find ranked matches.  And the lobby system is terrible, you queue up with people and you can't even see their connection so it turns into a guessing game.  

 

Similar thing happened with Samsho, it's a shame some of these games lose steam after a few months because of online.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
Link to post
3 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Probably the community sperging out over nothing like usual. 

one of the combatants I actually know outside of FGC.  She helped me move into my place and before then she was a student when I was helping teach band camp.

 

As for the other combatant, he seems nice enough when I spoke to him but I don't know him personally.  It's a shame people can't get along and be civil when we're all stuck here in this pandemic nightmare.  Gaming should be like pizza, something that brings joy when there is none before its partaking.  

Link to post
47 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

one of the combatants I actually know outside of FGC.  She helped me move into my place and before then she was a student when I was helping teach band camp.

 

As for the other combatant, he seems nice enough when I spoke to him but I don't know him personally.  It's a shame people can't get along and be civil when we're all stuck here in this pandemic nightmare.  Gaming should be like pizza, something that brings joy when there is none before its partaking.  

I don't even know what the drama was this time around, but i remember all the stuff that went down with Dyne and how shitty people were both to him and people who supported him. Vampire Arcadia even blocked me on Twitter because I liked a couple tweets in support of him. You'd think a small community like theirs would try to get along better and iron things out within rather than broadcasting it to Twitter. 

 

Link to post

I have a bit of a philosophical question for you guys based on some conversations I've had in the 3s and SamSho5Sp communities. 

 

With most games, especially if the netcode isn't up to snuff, often times two different metas develop, the online and offline, and the common belief that the offline version of any game is the one that matters, since it's the one that's played competitively. 

 

That said, if most players are playing the game online, and given Covid and how offline events aren't happening now, one could argue that the online meta is the more important one. People often look down on "online tactics" but if the online meta is the one most players are playing, and those tactics aren't obviously bullshit, abusing lag, etc, should they be discouraged? 

 

Obviously the best of all possible worlds is the online and offline metas being the same or as close to the same as possible, but in a world where that's rarely the case, should we be focusing more on the meta that more players have access to and are experiencing that competitive players could also access, or the one that a small portion of a game's community will likely ever experience? 

 

 

btw I hate the word "meta" but I don't know a better word to describe what I'm talking about 😂

 

TL;DR: if more players play online then offline & offline events are cancelled, does that mean the online version is more important than the offline version? 

 

Edited by DoctaMario
TL;dr
Link to post
On 10/29/2020 at 6:29 AM, DoctaMario said:

TL;DR: if more players play online then offline & offline events are cancelled, does that mean the online version is more important than the offline version? 

 

I think one point would be that "offline strats" would still work correctly online (if you're in rollback). EG Alpha 2:

 

Sakura's crossup into uppercut loop works offline or online.

 

Doing Adon's jaguar kick (which is unsafe even on hit, unless you hit an extended limb) and then activating CC or super to try to catch their punish will probably only work online.

 

Same with ST: Claw's walldive loop always works. Ken spamming Jab shoryu does not (probably).

So it's important to know all the online gimmicks, and also know that they prolly won't work against a tournament player offline.

Link to post
10 hours ago, misterBee said:

The only thing that's important is the version of the game you are playing.

 

If you play online, pay attention to online strats.  If you play offline, pay attention to offline strats.

 

I don't really see the point in trying to argue which meta is the 'real' one.

It's usually offline/tourney players I see arguing about it most of the time. 

Link to post

It feels kinda reductive but you can only play the game in front of you. You can maybe argue developer intent/design - older games couldn't have been built with online play in mind whereas current gen ones arguably should ne - but if a version of a game doesn't really exist for people to play then its kinda moot.

 

Doesn't even need to be online vs offline, look at release client SF5 and its high input lag. That was a real pain in the ass and everyone knew that it should be better, that there was stuff you were way more likely to get away with due to the 6-8 frames of lag. But everyone just kind of had to live with that reality until circumstances changed. EX Dolphin Dives for days motherfuckers!

 

I think its definitely more painful having known the alternative and having it taken away temporarily. But can't do shit about that right now unfortunately so best we can all do is treat this like a wacky remix edition period and have what fun with it we can. Hopefully as more games get designed with rollback in mind or get it ported it becomes less of a problem.

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select