Stage Select

Fighting Game Lounge

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Still no mention of Reptile!

And why does Raiden, Kung Lao, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and Shang Tsung have very similar (if not the same) human models.

Anyway, these graphics look spectacular, and I am pretty sure what we saw in the end is gameplay.

I take Reptile absence to mean his MKX ending is canon. He has no reason to involve himself in this bullshit anymore

22 minutes ago, Sonero said:

What was Reptile's ending in MKX? Him going "fuck all this"?

He finds an isolated group of his race deep underground in a ruined city. This group migrated to earthrealm eons ago before their realm was miraged with outworld. Since Reptile goal is to revive his race he said fuck everything and decided to live with them. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
42 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

He finds an isolated group of his race deep underground in a ruined city. This group migrated to earthrealm eons ago before their realm was miraged with outworld. Since Reptile goal is to revive his race he said fuck everything and decided to live with them. 

That's a hilariously wholesome ending that comfirms all the David Icke conspiracies about there being reptiles underground who are controlling the world governments.

So its a 🔥 ass ending. 😂

By the way, I'm hundred percent sure that Ed Boon meant it that way.

So Liu Kang essentially becomes the God of Gods, The only God, and The keeper of Time itself, then he chooses to recreate the Timeline to include warring realms that develop the same tournament format that caused all the problems in his original timeline. Literally could’ve done anything and he chose to repeat history and then punish anyone who doesn’t want peace. 

Like he could’ve removed bad actors from the timeline itself and changed the way realms interact with one another.

Who cares it’s a fighting game’s story but the issue here is that it is THE selling point for the game these days. One would hope a little more thought is put into this. The fighting engine seems secondary and in the service of this primary function.

Edited by Daemos

Think the deal is that Liu Kang isn't an authoritarian. He is giving everybody a second, fair chance now that he knows what the inherent issue is between all the people. He could choose side or give them a chance to work it out.

I believe in MK11 Scorpion and Sub Zero finally reconcile. So instead of just erasing them altogether, its a restart to see if they can follow a better path.

Also you damn well know at some point Ed Boon wanted to call this Mortal Kombat Alpha. 😂

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

So Liu Kang essentially becomes the God of Gods, The only God, and The keeper of Time itself, then he chooses to recreate the Timeline to include warring realms that develop the same tournament format that caused all the problems in his original timeline. Literally could’ve done anything and he chose to repeat history and then punish anyone who doesn’t want peace. 

Like he could’ve removed bad actors from the timeline itself and changed the way realms interact with one another.

Who cares it’s a fighting game’s story but the issue here is that it is THE selling point for the game these days. One would hope a little more thought is put into this. The fighting engine seems secondary and in the service of this primary function.

I like @EvilCanadian's theory. It sounds plausible based on the trailer. What if both Aftermath endings happened? Shang Tsung seems to be invading from another reality.

Nah, that gorilla man is wrong just like he is wrong about Bison.

Tsung is portaling in from Outworld. They are about to engage in the first Mortal Kombat tournament. Liu Kang is functioning as Raiden in this retelling of the first tournament (the one from many generations before MK1 the game), and he has his champions ready.

Outworld looks lush, so perhaps it is still Edenia. Why they could be doing the tournament again is anyone's guess. a disfigured Mileena was created which means Shao Kahn is likely around.

The key difference here is that Liu Kang is more than protector of Earthrealm, he is also effectively all the Elder Gods in one person. So if you break the rules, he could punish you immediately as what the trailer implies.

8 hours ago, BornWinner said:

If the CG trailer is of any indication, the gore tech is going to be nuts. No more perfectly split heads, someone’s head will just explode into a pile of gore and you will see every bit. I feel bad for the guys who will have to model that.

Specially now that LiveLeak doesn't exist. Where are they gonna get reference material?

😭

On 5/18/2023 at 1:15 PM, Daemos said:

I think the Kameo Fighters mentioned in the press release are a new type of "assist" system. A way to monetize their characters without fully committing to making a whole new character for DLC.

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. I'm sure the implications for the combo system are going to be pretty massive

Just now, DoctaMario said:

Yeah I'm wondering about that too. I'm sure the implications for the combo system are going to be pretty massive

Something about it comes off as Pay-2-Win. I don't see how this will be positive for gameplay long run. If it was its own game mode I'd be more on board but right now it feels like a money making scheme.

According to Amazon Italy, “Kombat Pack 1” includes the following:

• Six Playable Characters
    • Quan Chi
    • Omni Man
    • Ermac
    • Peacemaker
    • Takeda
    • Homelander
  • Five Kameo Characters
    • Tremor
    • Johnny Cage
    • Khameleon
    • Mavado
    • Ferra
  • Jean-Claude Van Damme Character Skin

3 guest characters in the DLC part. WB must have Ed Boon's balls on a vice grip, holy fuck.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:05 PM, Daemos said:

As if we needed another reminder this franchise is dogwater.

23 hours ago, Daemos said:

Something about it comes off as Pay-2-Win. I don't see how this will be positive for gameplay long run. If it was its own game mode I'd be more on board but right now it feels like a money making scheme.

I hope that NRS explains Kameo fighters very soon, as well as whether customized fighting styles are a part of the system again. SF6 is going to keep me busy, so I am not thrilled about jumping into MK1. I am more interested in Granblue Rising as a secondary game.

Looks like NRS might make the story line/lore come full circle like they did with The Flash TV show and this might be the last MK game for a long while.

This will lead to MK Mythologies and the 10th Mortal Kombat eventually anyways.

The scene where they show Mileena and Kitana; Kitana is still a heel.

In the beginning when they show Raiden; Raiden is still going to be the Raiden we know.

Johnny Cage will be an ancestor of the current Johnny Cage.

Remember, this takes place 500 years before Mortal Kombat (1992). Remember the prologue to Mortal Kombat about the Great Kung Lao and so forth.

Also, if John Tobias is actually writing this lore this time, then it'll be epic and explain a lot of origins and full circle stuff.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that Scorpion and Sub-Zero are the ancestors of the current Scorpion and Sub-Zero. Someone in the past mentioned that the Shirai Ryu might be an offshoot of the Lin Kuei. I could be wrong.

Edited by Jion_Wansu