Stage Select

Fighting Game Lounge

In fine tradition the SFV thread usually ends up being the sort of FG general thread, and we have threads for most of the other prominent games, but I figured there may be a use for a thread that is this section's version of general discussion to collect all the random one off FG related things that come up.

Worse comes to worse this can just become a fan art or anime general thread. 😉 

Speaking of anime, the thing that made me think of this thread in the first place: @misterBee any interest in Koihime Enbu RyoRaiRai (jesus that title?) I've never played Koihime Enbu but its coming out soon for $20 so I figured why the hell not, provided it continues to get decent player feedback.

Yeah. 🚫💻🚫 

I had one for a long time but it aged out and I never bothered to replace it. There are days where I really debate buying a new one to have access to the PC communities of the games I play (which seems to be where the more dedicated players are?), PC specific FGs, and the random PC games that I think are neat. But then I'd have to buy a PC and re-buy everything I want to play and I always find something else to spend that 💰 on.

I'll definitely add this to the anime pile on Friday.

24 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah. 🚫💻🚫 

I had one for a long time but it aged out and I never bothered to replace it. There are days where I really debate buying a new one to have access to the PC communities of the games I play (which seems to be where the more dedicated players are?), PC specific FGs, and the random PC games that I think are neat. But then I'd have to buy a PC and re-buy everything I want to play and I always find something else to spend that 💰 on.

I'll definitely add this to the anime pile on Friday.

If I didn't give it to my cousin for college, I would have given my old laptop. It had i7 4810MQ, 24GB  of RAM, and a 8GB Geforce GTX880M. It can run all modern games.  My cousin doesn't really game. He's going to use it for school and his music. It's really overkill for what he needs but it was cheaper to replace the primary HDD in that than to buy him a new one for graduation.

I gave my previous laptop to @PussyStuffer when he was in a pinch. I'll keep you in mind when I replace this one, but that probably won't be for a few years. I have custom deal now that's basically a portable desktop. I have i7 7700K and Geforce 1080. Given the ridiculous RAM and GPU prices. I should be good for quite sometime.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If I didn't give it to my cousin for college, I would have given my old laptop. It had i7 4810MQ, 24GB  of RAM, and a 8GB Geforce GTX880M. It can run all modern games.  My cousin doesn't really game. He's going to use it for school and his music. It's really overkill for what he needs but it was cheaper to replace the primary HDD in that than to buy him a new one for graduation.

I gave my previous laptop to @PussyStuffer when he was in a pinch. I'll keep you in mind when I replace this one, but that probably won't be for a few years. I have custom deal now that's basically a portable desktop. I have i7 7700K and Geforce 1080. Given the ridiculous RAM and GPU prices. I should be good for quite sometime.

Appreciate the thought man.

Part of it is that my house is a console peasant house in general, so my wife uses them too. I used to always have a PC around (even pseudo built my last one) but I honestly didn't end up using it for much so when it aged out I effectively replaced it with my phone and tablet.

I do want to start looking at laptops again. I've always been more partial to a tower but I don't really have the space for it, and for what I need and would actually use it for that would probably be fine. Plus its always fun to look. 😉

2 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Appreciate the thought man.

Part of it is that my house is a console peasant house in general, so my wife uses them too. I used to always have a PC around (even pseudo built my last one) but I honestly didn't end up using it for much so when it aged out I effectively replaced it with my phone and tablet.

I do want to start looking at laptops again. I've always been more partial to a tower but I don't really have the space for it, and for what I need and would actually use it for that would probably be fine. Plus its always fun to look. 😉

If you are lacking space you should build ITX systems.  I have 2 high end gaming rigs (one for my desk and one for my TV) and they are both the size of a shoebox.  Unless you plan to carry it around I don't find laptops to be very good value propositions at all -- they are more expensive to begin with and age more poorly.

43 minutes ago, misterBee said:

If you are lacking space you should build ITX systems.  I have 2 high end gaming rigs (one for my desk and one for my TV) and they are both the size of a shoebox.  Unless you plan to carry it around I don't find laptops to be very good value propositions at all -- they are more expensive to begin with and age more poorly.

I agree with you on this. I've had nothing but laptops in the last decade. The position I held for about 5 years caused me to move a lot. Between that driving home to visit family, having a laptop was preferred. While I current position has had me in the same place for the five years. I still go home frequently to Virginia. Having a laptop still my best bet. I thought about getting a desktop before I got this particular laptop. However, i'd likely still need a laptop. I can't justify having two PCs a single person on his own. If I ever moved back to Virginia. I'd get a desktop.

12 hours ago, misterBee said:

This is the case I use for both my rigs:

sg13-dimension.jpg

Nice! Thanks for letting me know about that. 

I'm so out of touch with PC builds that I always think of a big 'ol tower when it comes to building a PC. Since most of my gaming happens in the living room now I'm not gonna be able to get away with setting up a tower there. Something with that kind of form factor would work I think.

If you're not trying to go super high end you can probably buy prebuilt PCs that are small like this too.  You won't have to build it but they might not be that upgradeable, depending on where you get it from.

This one looks good but you'll have to pay a little bit of a premium because it's prebuilt:

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/chronos/

size-3.jpg

It's no big deal either way.  I can play on PS4 with you until then. ❤️

19 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Hell, if he lives close enough I can just go to his house and build it LOL.

You'd better have good food. 😏

This is the point where we find out one of three things. Either....

OR

• His wife is a caterer

OR

• He and his wife run a world class restaurant.

Get your tools ready @misterBee 😉

Edited by Darc_Requiem
13 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This is the point where we find out one of three things. Either....

OR

• His wife is a caterer

OR

• He and his wife run a world class restaurant.

Get your tools ready @misterBee 😉

Ha, I don't know about all that, but I do handle all the cooking in the house and I do know a few pretty good dishes. 👨‍🍳

@misterBee Thanks for that link. I don't mind paying a bit for a pre-built so long as it isn't a big gouge and I'm happy with the final product. I also don't totally mind putting a PC together myself but its been about forever since I've done that and I don't have as much free time as I used to so at this point I'd probably fork over the extra cash just to make sure I didn't have a bunch of PC parts sitting around for a couple of months. 😉 

Definitely going to be a while before I can invest in anything but I can at least start looking and getting ideas. I've also been out of the game so long that I don't really know what a good set of general PC specs are nowadays.

Origin is definitely more expensive than others, BUT they have some things going for them:

- Custom case with good paint job

- Off the shelf parts with no proprietary customization (good for normal upgrading)

- Well known brand (support)

So if you've got the cash you can go with them. 

If size is not an issue, then you can save some money and go with iBuyPower:

https://www.ibuypower.com/Site/Computer/Desktops

These systems are a little cheaper but don't build stuff that is as small.  They are another reputable vendor that makes stuff using standard parts.  The 'Revolt' line are the smallest systems they make.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found a new arcade in Brooklyn!  Everyone knows about Next Level, but people don't know about this one, which is right around the corner!

It's called I Fix Machine and has 10+ candy cabs with real arcade hardware/swappable games, as well as a bunch of modern cabs with PS4s/PCs with Steam inside.  Great place to hang.  All machines are free play -- just $10 a day.  It's where I've been getting my fighting game fix for the past few days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifixmachine/

https://twitter.com/Ifixmachine

On 8/31/2018 at 11:12 AM, misterBee said:

Found a new arcade in Brooklyn!  Everyone knows about Next Level, but people don't know about this one, which is right around the corner!

It's called I Fix Machine and has 10+ candy cabs with real arcade hardware/swappable games, as well as a bunch of modern cabs with PS4s/PCs with Steam inside.  Great place to hang.  All machines are free play -- just $10 a day.  It's where I've been getting my fighting game fix for the past few days.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ifixmachine/

https://twitter.com/Ifixmachine

I would kill to have a place like that where I live. The group that puts on the tournaments our microscopic scene compete in have been trying to get a permanent space and create something similar, but apparently they haven't been able to get a deal on a building yet.

Otherwise, the closest thing to an Arcade my podunk little town has is this weird little used game store tucked away and partially hidden by hedges and trees that has four cabinets with sub-par emulators in them and a little lounge area for gaming on modern stuff you can rent by the hour.

So SNK has an announcement on the 10th. 

I am fantasizing but:

BBtag 

Soul Calibur 6

UNIST port for steam

This has been quite a year for swords

I am hoping in Samurai Showdown

So I wrote this a few days ago and I must have missed the posting button, hopes have been fulfilled, and the game looks good. 

I hope they put Shiki in on release, honestly is been years I don't even remember who I liked, I only played the game on SNK emulator and did arcade mode with everyone, a lot. 

I never played CVS so idk how Shiki plays, but she looks cool. 

Ah yes... And of course, while DOA6 nerfs most of the cast's looks to make them more "Realistic", Marie and Honkers look exactly the same from Last Round because Koei-Tecmo know they can't infuriate their biggest market... IMO it's pretty scummy how NyoTengu is a pre-order exclusive character, and only from the $150+ "Collectors Edition" at that.

If the leak I read is true, Tina, Lisa, Mila and basically all of the "Western Market Bait" characters either are going to be cut entirely or made DLC through some weird kind of Gacha system that makes Loot boxes look fair...

It makes me glad we've got Soul Caliber VI and the new Samurai Shodown game to look forward to 

On 9/13/2018 at 9:46 AM, The_Weasel said:

Ah yes... And of course, while DOA6 nerfs most of the cast's looks to make them more "Realistic", Marie and Honkers look exactly the same from Last Round because Koei-Tecmo know they can't infuriate their biggest market... IMO it's pretty scummy how NyoTengu is a pre-order exclusive character, and only from the $150+ "Collectors Edition" at that.

If the leak I read is true, Tina, Lisa, Mila and basically all of the "Western Market Bait" characters either are going to be cut entirely or made DLC through some weird kind of Gacha system that makes Loot boxes look fair...

It makes me glad we've got Soul Caliber VI and the new Samurai Shodown game to look forward to 

I had to Google all of them 'cause I know fuck all about DoA character. When I saw Nyotengu I thought "ah ok, these are all gonna be super Asian tropes, that's why he calls them western market bait, weird tho, plenty of Asian looking chicks in there already a few more shouldn't make a difference" 

Then I Googled the other 3 and turns out they are all chicks with strong western traits. 

So I feel like I gotta tell you... You got this shit backwards. Here in Asia they all crave western looking chicks, on the other hand westerners tend to like Asian chicks, quite sure Asian fetish is one of the most common fetish for caucasians. Everybody wants exotic. 

4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I had to Google all of them 'cause I know fuck all about DoA character. When I saw Nyotengu I thought "ah ok, these are all gonna be super Asian tropes, that's why he calls them western market bait, weird tho, plenty of Asian looking chicks in there already a few more shouldn't make a difference" 

Then I Googled the other 3 and turns out they are all chicks with strong western traits. 

So I feel like I gotta tell you... You got this shit backwards. Here in Asia they all crave western looking chicks, on the other hand westerners tend to like Asian chicks, quite sure Asian fetish is one of the most common fetish for caucasians. Everybody wants exotic. 

I based my comments on the fact that when the final results of the roster poll for DOAX3 was released, the characters with predominantly western traits (Tina, Christie, Mila, Lisa & Rachel) were all at or near the bottom of the totals. Considering that this poll was only available to Asian regions, then combined with the fact that certain characters like Mila, Lisa & Rachel have far fewer costumes compared to other females in DOA5:LR, further backed up by the leak that Tina, Lisa and Christie are most likely DLC while Mila & Rachel out completely...

Yeah. I stand by what I said.

Besides, I'm not even that interested in DOA any more. Especially with SCVI, the new SamSho game out next year and a bunch of other games on my radar.

I've always been a filthy casual with DoA but it seems like a game that could be very fun once you start getting the RPS system down. And if you like VF its the closest thing you have to a new one of those until Sega pulls an SNK/SamSho and pulls it from the grave. 

Honoka and to a lesser degree Marie Rose bug me for some reason and the series has a plastic doll look that sort of kills it for me. Hope the new one is good though for series fans. I'm curious to see if they'll bring VF chars back this time around.

• 1 month later...
On 9/15/2018 at 8:11 AM, GetTheTables said:

I've always been a filthy casual with DoA but it seems like a game that could be very fun once you start getting the RPS system down. And if you like VF its the closest thing you have to a new one of those until Sega pulls an SNK/SamSho and pulls it from the grave. 

Honoka and to a lesser degree Marie Rose bug me for some reason and the series has a plastic doll look that sort of kills it for me. Hope the new one is good though for series fans. I'm curious to see if they'll bring VF chars back this time around.

I don't Marie Rose because she looks like a 10 year old. Honoka is basically the Seth of the game. Her moves are a hodgepodge of various characters. The only thing I find interesting about her is that it is implied that she is Raidou's daughter. I just hope her mother, unlike Ayane's, was a willing participant.

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2019 at 11:44 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

The only major 3D fighting game I don't like is Tekken. Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, and DOA are fine by me. I miss VF. Maybe I'll have to boot up Yakuza so I can play VF5 again.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call BAD TASTE. 😠

I'm not one into Tekken :coffee:

Unrelated Rant: I never played Dead or Alive: Dimensions before. I kept hearing how it had the best story mode in the series. So I snagged a used copy off Amazon. DoA: Dimensions has one of the best story modes I've seen in a fighter. The game literally has you play through the entire saga up until it's release.

It's not just impressive for a 3DS game, it just flat out impressive. Characters that are mentioned and never/rarely seen get 3D models. Shiden, Hayate and Kasumi's father, is in the game. Ayame the mother of Ayane, Hayate, and Kasumi is in the game. Fame Douglas, Helena's father shows up. I even saw Victor Donovan, who despite being the series antagonist, is never seen. How can 3DS game shit on the story mode of basically every 3D fighter released. Outside of some Bayonetta style, 3D characters that don't animate, cutscenes on ocassion, I can't find fault with it. It's even fully voice acted. How did I miss this game?

I haven't finished the story mode yet, I'm in the DoA2 chapter but damn. It puts DoA4, 5, and 6's story mode to shame. I like DoA 6 but man I wish it had the same style of story mode.

• 3 weeks later...