Stage Select

Fighting Game Lounge

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Thoughts on the Riot fighting game? Given all the recent shenanigans going down with China....not sure how I feel about it.

They're definitely going to want to make it for the widest possible audience - I'm expecting it to be super simplified, like Rising Thunder was -- it might even be like Fantasy Strike.

Probably won't be my thing, but I'll try it just like I try everything else.

• 2 weeks later...

Namco is making Frame Data paid DLC for Tekken. A feature that everyone else includes for free. People need to call them out for this before it becomes standard practice. Sega's Virtua Fighter, NRS fighters, Tecmo's DOA, and Capcom's SFV didn't charge for this. It was added as a free update for SFV. Gameplay features should not be paid DLC. This gives a competitive edge.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Namco is making Frame Data paid DLC for Tekken. A feature that everyone else includes for free. People need to call them out for this before it becomes standard practice. Sega's Virtua Fighter, NRS fighters, Tecmo's DOA, and Capcom's SFV didn't charge for this. It was added as a free update for SFV. Gameplay features should not be paid DLC. This gives a competitive edge.

I don't see any reason to call them out for it.

Tekken's home release is 2 years old and they put extra development time and resources to add this feature.  I don't see any reason why they shouldn't charge for it.  It's not like the feature was sitting around already complete and they just flipped a switch to make it work.

Not only that, but the other cool features like replays and punishment training are free.  I don't think paying extra is a problem here.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll agree to disagree. They launched with subpar training options and are charging DLC to fix it. This sets a precedent for gameplay featuresin fighters being locked behind a paywall. 

I don't see how it sets a precedent for anything really.  It's simple business.

Spin up additional development after launch = charge a bit of money to recoup costs.

Adding new content after the fact and charging for it isn't the same as gating content behind a paywall at launch.  I don't see why people think paying for add-on content now will somehow affect what the next game launches with years from now.

You could argue the game could have had these things  at launch, but this isn't launch.  It's 2 years later.  There's no way this was going to be free.  The only 2 choices were to pay a little bit of money now for these features or wait for them to possibly appear in Tekken 8.

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Every other fighting game developer uses paid DLC to ensure gameplay additions are free for the userbase. Characters, costumes, etc. cost money. Any gameplay or balance related updates are free.

Tekken is the exact same way.  With the exception of the frame data, all balance and gameplay related updates are free for Tekken too.  Punishment training and replays/replay advice are free as well. 

The ONLY thing that is being charged besides characters is the frame data, which is a niche add-on that only the hardcore have been asking for/will use, and which they have said took a bunch of extra development.  I'm really struggling to see why people are losing their minds here.

Tekken has been updated and supported consistently since launch and makes SFV support look like a joke - a single 4 dollar DLC that affects a small hardcore group of people shouldn't be that big of an issue honestly.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Tekken has been updated and supported consistently since launch and makes SFV support look like a joke - a single 4 dollar DLC that affects a small hardcore group of people shouldn't be that big of an issue honestly.

And yet SFV could add frame data at no charge. And no Tekken is no longer the same way. Because they are charging for Frame Data. Something none of their competitors do. Yeah I'm never going to agree with you on this. If all of your competitors provide something at no charge and you charge for it. It's going to be a problem.  If it's accepted and the community just blows it off, it ended up being standard from everyone.

Someone pointed his out and I hadn't considered it before. Sony, Sega, and Nintendo didn't charge for online gaming. Microsoft did. The reaction was, and I shared it so I'm not going to pretend I didn't, "what's the big deal." Fast forward to now, Nintendo and Sony charge for online. So it was a big deal after all.

16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

And yet SFV could add frame data at no charge. And no Tekken is no longer the same way. Because they are charging for Frame Data. Something none of their competitors do. Yeah I'm never going to agree with you on this. If all of your competitors provide something at no charge and you charge for it. It's going to be a problem.  If it's accepted and the community just blows it off, it ended up being standard from everyone.

Someone pointed his out and I hadn't considered it before. Sony, Sega, and Nintendo didn't charge for online gaming. Microsoft did. The reaction was, and I shared it so I'm not going to pretend I didn't, "what's the big deal." Fast forward to now, Nintendo and Sony charge for online. So it was a big deal after all.

If you want to make blind comparisons then of course this isn't going to get anywhere.

You have no idea how SFV or Tekken 7 were built.  Just because one game was able to add it easily doesn't mean the other could as well.  It's all well and good to say "everyone should charge for the same things" but that's also incredibly unrealistic.  You're ignoring all the work/factors involved in releasing said feature.

Bandai Namco and Capcom are two different companies, with different production costs, staff, workflow, etc.  If one wants to charge for something but the other doesn't, then whatever.  Buy or don't buy.  But to just assume everything will be the same between them is  not really realistic.  If the cost doesn't seem worth it to people, they just won't buy it -- but that's hardly a cause for righteous indignation.

Nintendo charges less for online than MS or Sony.  By your logic MS and Sony should cost the same as Nintendo! Blind price comparisons are pointless.

Let's not forget that SFV also put ADS into the 60 dollar game I bought.  That's kinda messed up.  Does this mean that in the future Tekken will have ads?  SFV did it and it was ok!  Clearly everything and anything is a precedent set in stone!

If Tekken 8 and SF6 come out with frame data as paid add-ons, then by all means get mad.  But people trying to predict the future like they've got a crystal ball because of some 4 dollar add-on to a 2 year old game is ridiculous.  I'm just really not getting the outrage.

This isn't SFV versus Tekken 7  issue. It's Tekken versus everyone else issue. I have DoA Dimensions on 3DS, it came out in 2011. It has frame data. Tecmo has had frame data in three different game engines and DOA doesn't have Tekken's budget.  Ads in SFV are shitty, so is the netcode. That doesn't make charging for frame data excusable. No one, well maybe Xykes, is defending Ads in SFV nor its netcode.

Yet people are bending over backwards to defend Namco for charging for a gameplay feature that the Virtua Fighter series, Dead or Alive series, Injustice series, MK series, and now even SFV offer for free. There is serious level of whataboutism with this issue. Pointing to unacceptable practices in one game does not excuse Tekken for charging for frame data. Just like how the, frankly shit, netcode in Japanese fighting games is inexcuable when a budget title like KI has excellent netcode. Tekken out sells everything but NRS titles. They have no excuse. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I know it's old, but currently I'm drunk enough to find Fuudo's wife boinkable. That's 6 cans of 8% Hong Kong beers. Taste like crap btw. Why do people play SF when there are so many good games out?  One could say it's because of rollback netcode, but we all know how much of a terrible job they did with that, makes ArcSys delay netcode look good. Like seriously fuck these people.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fighting EX Layer is $10 on Steam unit 0ctober 7th. I just picked it up. I already have it on PS4 and barely play. It's more to support Arika than anything else. Game feels solid. Classic inputs aren't lenient. It's like player older SF games in that regard and takes some getting used with how lax things have gotten in modern titles.

Side note: That doesn't include Terry Bogard. He's $5 DLC but I think that's fair. I know SNK didn't give him up for free.

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

From the latest Yakuza trailer, VF5FS has officially found its way onto three generations of consoles. 

I’ve never played a Yakuza game but I have no idea what it’s supposed to be lol. Is it like an adventure game with a bunch of mini games inside it?

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Is it like an adventure game

In the past it was a 3D beat-em-up with RPG elements. It has an open world between missions that you are free to dick around and do whatever you want in Kamurocho/Osaka depending on the game. There's bars with karaoke, billiards, lady fights you bet on, and arcades with arcade games you can play. 

Also, roughly 7,000 places to eat. 

This new one is gonna be a turn based game, from what I've gathered, but it'll still have all the wacky side stuff 

7 hours ago, Scanman said:

Just popping in here to say: I cannot believe I was actually dumb enough to buy Granblue Fantasy vs.

low character count, lots of DLC, and probably the worst netcode this side of Samsho.

I was fooled!

Samsho has good netcode if you're on fiber. If you aren't, then I could see how it's dodgy, but I've had good experiences with it and really only a handful of truly bad matches.

1 hour ago, Scanman said:

No it wasn't dude. Terrible delay netcode and a lobby system that is actually borked.

It's probably the best delay netcode that's every existed. I had a good experience with the netcode, so I can't speak to why you didn't, and it seems like I'm in the minority in that respect but it worked well for me. I'll agree with you about the lobby system though.

Edited by DoctaMario
29 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah, no shade, but you very much are. Shamsho has been one of my most miserable online experiences. I'm not sure if I ever got more than a handful of matches were there wasn't a few hiccups. 

Yeah it definitely seems tired to Japanese isps and geography. 

Conversely, the netcode for SamSho5Sp is easily the best netcode I've ever used. Even on my Vita on wifi, I was able to get solid connections to Japanese players with few if any hiccups. That netcode is some fucking devilry and it's awesome! The game is better than SS7 too!

On 10/6/2020 at 10:21 PM, DoctaMario said:

It's probably the best delay netcode that's every existed. I had a good experience with the netcode, so I can't speak to why you didn't, and it seems like I'm in the minority in that respect but it worked well for me. I'll agree with you about the lobby system though.

90% of my connections are great, even with friends on japan while i am in central america. 

Saying that, i would never call it the best delay netcode that ever existed, quite the contrary. 

Is a terribad one, not the worst , but certainly not good. 

Is really easy to get desynched and drop the connection. 

Its saving grace is that due the nature of the game, it is not terrible impacted by the netcode. 

But if you have a garbage infrastructure like in the usa, your experience will be very mixed. 

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

90% of my connections are great, even with friends on japan while i am in central america. 

Saying that, i would never call it the best delay netcode that ever existed, quite the contrary. 

Is a terribad one, not the worst , but certainly not good. 

Is really easy to get desynched and drop the connection. 

Its saving grace is that due the nature of the game, it is not terrible impacted by the netcode. 

But if you have a garbage infrastructure like in the usa, your experience will be very mixed. 

I honestly can't think of a game that has better delay netcode especially with the ability to reach as far as Japan. ISPs are a factor too, you can have a decent speedtest trying but if your ISP sucks, you'll still get crummy connections. 

That said, I'd rather play someone with a crappy connection using delay netcode then rollback. Rollback is the absolute worst of the connection isn't good. 

14 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I honestly can't think of a game that has better delay netcode especially with the ability to reach as far as Japan. ISPs are a factor too, you can have a decent speedtest trying but if your ISP sucks, you'll still get crummy connections. 

That said, I'd rather play someone with a crappy connection using delay netcode then rollback. Rollback is the absolute worst of the connection isn't good. 

I would say any of the ASW games not named BattleFantasia shit on the samsho netcode.

And this comes not from just playing, but doing tests with friends alonegise both latin america and other continents.

For starters, i can play, well with friends in colombia in DBFZ, GG, BB, BBTAG, GBFVS, etc but i cant lay with them at all in samsho without having desynchs that end disconnecting us.

I can play with some in Mexico, but the connection is inconsistent.

And playing with some friends on USA has been also a similar experience, despite having more consistent and better connections on other games.

Like i say, is not the worst, but is certainly not the best.

But at least is much better than KOVXIII and KOFXIV

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

hmm now  I think you're going insane

Edited by rukawa_kaede
1 minute ago, rukawa_kaede said:

hmm now  I think you're going insane

Gonna be honest.

What some folks call playable on rollback is as garbage as bad delay.

Having your opponent teleporting every 1 or 2 seconds is not playable, yet some morons claim it to be better than having a match with barely any delay just because is rollback.

Fuck that shit

15 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Gonna be honest.

What some folks call playable on rollback is as garbage as bad delay.

Having your opponent teleporting every 1 or 2 seconds is not playable, yet some morons claim it to be better than having a match with barely any delay just because is rollback.

Fuck that shit

why would i even care about rollbacks when all i'm trying to do is to land this combo which if done properly most likely will work in an actual match in person?!

delay fucking sucks in the other hand.. hey i know Jump K won't land because there's lag so i must buffer it before it connects: online tactics

4 minutes ago, rukawa_kaede said:

why would i even care about rollbacks when all i'm trying to do is to land this combo which if done properly most likely will work in an actual match in person?!

delay fucking sucks in the other hand.. hey i know Jump K won't land because there's lag so i must buffer it before it connects: online tactics

Because having rollbacks at every fucking second is as bad as having a fucking delay.

Is as unplayable, a bad connection be rollback or be delay is some bullshit garbage to have.

"I fucking landed the hit confirm into super" jokes on you, rollback into you getting hit.

Hell yeah, i managed to start the combo, though luck, rollback into dropped shit.

Rollback is good to masquerade bad connections and help in situations where delay strugles, but even with rollbakc you have  plenty of times that is as bad as delay, and with the added bonus of having an anti catharsis factor to it that is why the vast majority outside of the fgc dislike it, since they feel the game is glitching every time a rollback happens.

I have seen unplayable messes that niggas claim were playable, just because of all the times they had rllbacks, 1 or twice they managed to land a misserable combo.

17 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I would say any of the ASW games not named BattleFantasia shit on the samsho netcode.

And this comes not from just playing, but doing tests with friends alonegise both latin america and other continents.

For starters, i can play, well with friends in colombia in DBFZ, GG, BB, BBTAG, GBFVS, etc but i cant lay with them at all in samsho without having desynchs that end disconnecting us.

I can play with some in Mexico, but the connection is inconsistent.

And playing with some friends on USA has been also a similar experience, despite having more consistent and better connections on other games.

Like i say, is not the worst, but is certainly not the best.

But at least is much better than KOVXIII and KOFXIV

I've only played BB and Xrd but while the netcode was good, I wouldn't say it was any better than SamSho really. Samsho is kind of a spongy feeling game so even when the connection is good, the game doesn't feel as snappy as an ASW game or even earlier SamShos.  Tbh it's one of the things I don't like as much about it.