Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I find the Streets Of Rage games to be janky and unpolished compared to other beat-em-ups. Not to say I don't enjoy them, but I'll gladly take Double Dragon 2, Final Fight 1, and Turtles In Time over pretty much any SoR game I've played.

I'd hold them up over Konami brawlers easily, but otherwise I tend to agree. SoR2 has such a bitchin soundtrack that it really gets held higher than it should. The console war factor (where few of us has SNES and Genesis if we had a 16 bit system at all) and the co-op probably boost its status as well.  Remake and 4 are pretty damn good though. 4 would have really benefitted from keeping 3's mechanics of universal run/dash and the up/down evasion- would speed up the feel a lot. Last playthrough I did was with Cherry and I was impressed with how much better her run made the game feel. 

Link to post
1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

I liked God of War and the Uncharted games. LBP was amazing when I played it back on PS3. Spider-Man is fucking dope, too.

Haven't played any of those other than GoW. Uncharted and LBP didn't look appealing to me at all. I considered Spider Man until I concluded it was probably a lot like the Arkham games, which I have already played the shit out of. All might be games I would enjoy- there's just nothing that makes me want to try them. Maybe if I had bought a PS3 instead of a 360 I would have tried some of those franchises a decade ago. And I do intend on picking up Ghosts of Tsushima once it goes down to $20- kind of afraid it will be too much like Assassins' Creed, which I have never been able to get into. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Camacho said:

I'd hold them up over Konami brawlers easily, but otherwise I tend to agree. SoR2 has such a bitchin soundtrack that it really gets held higher than it should. The console war factor (where few of us has SNES and Genesis if we had a 16 bit system at all) and the co-op probably boost its status as well.  Remake and 4 are pretty damn good though. 4 would have really benefitted from keeping 3's mechanics of universal run/dash and the up/down evasion- would speed up the feel a lot. Last playthrough I did was with Cherry and I was impressed with how much better her run made the game feel. 

Konami brawlers are supposed to be simple to the point that you can drop a quarter in, mash the attack button and have a great time/kick ass, at least TMNT1 and Simpsons. Turtles In Time was much more complex than that and Double Dragon 2 had a lot of stuff going on considering how simple the controls really were. Final Fight seemed like a more polished version of SoR even though it came out 2 years prior.

 

Anything Yuzo Koshiro composes though, I'll stan for. That man is fucking brilliant even when I'm not as into the songs (like Portrait Of Ruin.) He'd be a saint forever imo if the only thing he ever composed was the Actraiser OST.

 

  

41 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Ooh, I've got another one: the only Sony exclusive I've been really excited about for a long time was Bloodborne. I did enjoy dad of war (a bit overrated though), but very few of their franchises interest me.


Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made and better than every Souls game IMO, so that's a high water mark that's hard to top even with some of Sony's biggest franchises.

Edited by DoctaMario
Link to post
59 minutes ago, Camacho said:

And I do intend on picking up Ghosts of Tsushima once it goes down to $20- kind of afraid it will be too much like Assassins' Creed, which I have never been able to get into. 

I've never been into the Ass Creed games either, but I loved Ghost of Tsushima. From what I've read all the Ass Creed fans were jealous that the combat in Tsushima was so much better. Story was really good in it too. Great mashup of action, stealth, open world, and story. Highly recommend.

Edited by Chadouken
Stupid fucking autocorrect bullshit.
Link to post

oh yeah---The Division--- when they first showed footage of this game at E3, I was interested because it looked awesome...visually it was on another level at the time.  Then came a critical 2-hit combo the killed it for me... too much "real world" stuff and the fact that it's online-only.  I've given some games a pass on that horrible online-requirement nonsense, only when I enjoy literally everything else about it to such a degree that I can overlook such an unfortunate flaw.... but I couldn't give this one a pass.  When it is too much based on reality (*thus, no expectations of supernatural powers, aliens or ghost, vampires, mutants, zombies, time travel, portals, demons, etc. etc.) , then I probably won't ever be interested, as I've surely mentioned many times before.... quite unfortunate; there was 3 friends trying to sell me on that shit but nah... *maybe* if I got the game for free and even that's just a very bleak "maybe". 

....Look at Outriders on the other hand---that game lets me do shit like slow down time itself around me, teleport or use other elemental magical powers in addition to the gunplay.  Gears lets us save a world from subterranean humanoid freaks that have a similar level of tech and weaponry... Lost Planet gave us a cool grappling hook to play with as we fight alien creatures, and of course Vampyr lets me live out my fantasy of being a powerful badass vampire, Saint's Row 4 lets me super-speed run or fly around the city as the President of the U.S., saving the world from hostile aliens with my superpowers and Keith David as the VP....sheeeittt, the list goes on and on.  Games that are shackled to "real-world stuff" can't even begin to compete with stuff like that, imo.

 

It's not always the parents' fault when a kid does some stupid, horrible shit.  Sometimes that kid was just seemingly destined to be a horrible person.  We've all seen this early in life with our peers...with the classic example of the bullies at school, or perhaps those kids that enjoy torturing animals...  I am not sure why people forget about this when they grow up.  Perhaps it's something about human nature itself that is a bit too depressing and dark for most people to admit...we don't want to admit that there is such a thing as a "bad seed"... a kid who was destined to be a lowlife piece of shit that was always doomed to fail or do something horrible at some point.  No, I don't believe children are all perfectly blameless "magical" creatures.  Just like in teen and adult years... some people are just scum and it becomes obvious at a surprisingly early stage in life.

Link to post
21 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Look at Outriders on the other hand---that game lets me do shit like slow down time itself around me, teleport or use other elemental magical powers in addition to the gunplay. 

You digging it? I'm considering picking it up. I'm a big fan of Destiny and it seems like it's got some similarities, even though it's in third person. How is the gun play in it? Does it feel decent aiming and shooting?

Link to post

Streets of Rage 4 kinda blows.  It got a lot of praise but I've played other recent titles of the same genre that are way better. 

 

Best SoR is SoR Remake.

 

Best final fantasy is Star Ocean: The Second Story.

 

I thought the first Ass Creed game sucked but im finna try out the last 2(?).  They actually look fun.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
Link to post
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Chadouken said:

You digging it? I'm considering picking it up. I'm a big fan of Destiny and it seems like it's got some similarities, even though it's in third person. How is the gun play in it? Does it feel decent aiming and shooting?

yeah I enjoy it a lot so far... too bad the devs already posted about nerfing various things 😞 ...but yeah, all these other things about it got me to give it a pass on the "online-only" flaw....that comparison is indeed what comes to mind--- "Destiny in 3rd person"...but with an even greater focus on superhuman abilities.... the action is also designed around the player being aggressive more often than not.

On the nerfing thing--- that always seems silly to me... especially in a game like this with 15 difficulties if I recall?!

 

Classic movie monster I never liked--> The Wolfman.  He just looked lame and silly to me...like a guy that just has a hairy face... there's people in real life with a condition like that, where hair grows all over their face like the classic "wolfman".  Later depictions of werewolves are infinitely better in terms of the design.

Edited by MillionX
Link to post
1 hour ago, MillionX said:

yeah I enjoy it a lot so far... too bad the devs already posted about nerfing various things 😞 ...but yeah, all these other things about it got me to give it a pass on the "online-only" flaw....that comparison is indeed what comes to mind--- "Destiny in 3rd person"...but with an even greater focus on superhuman abilities.... the action is also designed around the player being aggressive more often than not.

What class did you go with?

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

What class did you go with?

Oh yeah, Trickster.  That stood out as the one with the most interesting powers...and even conceptually it already seemed to be the "gamebreaker" powers there--- being able to teleport behind enemies then cast slow time...proceeding to wreak havoc before they can do much about it.  It's glorious 😆  Trickster has another move that is similar to Tracer's "Recall" in Overwatch.. casting it marks that spot where you were...so during the time that skill is active, you can instantly teleport back to that spot by activating it again.

Link to post
6 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

G1 Ironhide's modern altmode should be a red pickup truck.

 

IMO it suits his personality more than a van or minivan.

 

The CW Ironhide alt mode was pretty good;the robot mode is a bit generic. Im sure a future toy could improve on it though.

 

reduced-image_10806_1_1589420959.png

 

 

I always sort of wanted Gen 1 Ironhide.

 

But I could never get past the fact that he had a decal for his face.

Edited by JHDK
Link to post

I can't think of many known releases in the near future I give a rat's ass about- RE8 (will probably still wait until it's around $30), and maybe Elden Ring, which is probably years off anyways.  Would be great to be surprised with another Dragon's Dogma, Sekiro, or anything else not aimed squarely at bros, kids, or pillow humpers. 

Link to post

Gaming unpopular opinion here but I don’t get the appeal of loot boxes. As a consumer, why would I ever pay for the mere chance of getting something I want? Unless I genuinely don’t care what I get (and at that point why buy anything?), it just seems like a complete scam. 


Back when I was casually into YGO I’d almost never buy packs unless there was an overwhelming chance of pulling multiple cards that I want. I would always stick to the box sets because you know exactly what you’re getting. But even then when you’re buying real life trading cards at least when you’re opening packs you can pull something that might be worth more in the future or even appreciate it as a tangible object you’ll always have. With video game loot boxes the trash items are literally worthless. 

Link to post
30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Gaming unpopular opinion here

Lets Go My Body Is Ready GIF

31 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I don’t get the appeal of loot boxes.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

 

No one does, homie! I was prepared for a spicy hot tamale of a take. 

I think most people would rather just spend more on the thing that they want instead of gambling to try to maybe win it. 

Link to post
12 hours ago, Camacho said:

I can't think of many known releases in the near future I give a rat's ass about- RE8 (will probably still wait until it's around $30), and maybe Elden Ring, which is probably years off anyways.  Would be great to be surprised with another Dragon's Dogma, Sekiro, or anything else not aimed squarely at bros, kids, or pillow humpers. 

As I said: You and me both, man.

 

But I feel the need to reply again, to commend your phraseology.

 

"Pillow humpers" is choice, and had me laughing in earnest from a forum post, for only the second time this year. 👍

Link to post
9 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

No one does, homie! I was prepared for a spicy hot tamale of a take. 

I think most people would rather just spend more on the thing that they want instead of gambling to try to maybe win it. 

You say this, but in every game I’ve played with loot boxes people throw fucktons of money at them. 

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

people throw fucktons of money at them. 

 

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Enough people are into that shit to make it lucrative.

Are they "into" the lootboxes, or are they willing to do what they have to to get the stuff they want? 

 

I'm willing to bet my bippy that most people throwing money into lootboxes are doing it because they love the game and want whatever skin/weapon/item that has a chance of coming in that box. 

 

If they had the option just to spend the in-game currency or real world money to get the thing they wanted, they'd rather do that. 

 

If lootboxes are your only options, of course you're gonna purchase them 

 

edit: or they're degenerate gamblers. If buying said thing at a higher price is an option, but the person opts to risk it for the biscuit, then they have a gambling addiction low key 

Edited by KingTubb
Link to post
30 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

If lootboxes are your only options, of course you're gonna purchase them 

 

This is my unpopular opinion then because LMAO no I fucking won’t. Im perfectly capable of going without if my only option to get something is gambling. 

Link to post
Just now, Vhozite said:

Im perfectly capable of going without if my only option to get something is gambling. 

Word, I'm in that boat with you. 

 

Also, any first person game with skins that people drop cash on boggles my mind, especially free games. 

 

I see people dropping cash on exclusive skins in Apex and WZ and I don't get it. You don't see you're avatar, why drop money on that? 

Link to post
3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

You don't see you're avatar, why drop money on that?

Because other people see your character. 

 

I don't even like parting with my money for games I'll be damned if I'd spend it on some kinda gamble to get something in a game.

 

I'm not big on DLC in general.  I can count on one hand how many DLC I've bought since 360 came around.

Link to post
14 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Because other people see your character. 

Exactly, 

 

So when some dude shoots the shit out of me while I panic and forget that my gun is burst fire, not full auto, I don't need the image of them teabagging my "ELITE" skin they know I paid money for. 

15 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

I'm not big on DLC in general. 

Me neither. I have trouble finishing games as is, I don't need the extra content that I'm not going to finished piled on top

Link to post
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Because other people see your character. 

Do people actually care about this? Tryna to flex your skin on other people playing a video game? 
 

I completely get trying to dress well to impress people in real life...but on a video game? LMAO

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Doesnt matter where its at.  It shows that you have disposable income...its a status thing.

 

16 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

...but on a video game? LMAO

 

Link to post
1 hour ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Because other people see your character. 

 

I don't even like parting with my money for games I'll be damned if I'd spend it on some kinda gamble to get something in a game.

 

I'm not big on DLC in general.  I can count on one hand how many DLC I've bought since 360 came around.

The only DLC I will ever advocate, is actual content-rich expansion-esque/full expansion stuff, that was made after the vanilla game came out.

 

Fuck Dey Wan DLC, fuck loot boxes, and fuck paid cosmetics.

 

And by "fuck" I do mean "fick" or whatever the German version is.

 

Because it sounds more hateful.

 

And probably involves shitting all over it.

Link to post
16 minutes ago, JHDK said:

The only DLC I will ever advocate, is actual content-rich expansion-esque/full expansion stuff, that was made after the vanilla game came out.

So like old school expansions. This is not unpopular, it what should be expected. 

I don't mind map packs or new characters. 
But the DLC has to add actual value to the game, offer some replay value. 
And not have retarded pricing. 

Make some shit Horse armor, I don't want to play 2.99 for it. Make it free or apart of a larger pack. 

 

Cosmetic DLC could go ether way. If the cosmetic DLC is free, or reasonably priced sure. 
Not some fucking $5.99 for Chun Li to dress like Morgan or some shit. 

No just loot boxes or pay to win BS. 

Edited by DarkSakul
Link to post
43 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Do people actually care about this? Tryna to flex your skin on other people playing a video game? 
 

I completely get trying to dress well to impress people in real life...but on a video game? LMAO

Yes actually. You know kids get bullied because they use the default skins in Fortnite instead of the paid ones? 

 

This psychological pressure is the reason why other players were allowed to see what you got in loot boxes in CoD WW2. 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Yes actually. You know kids get bullied because they use the default skins in Fortnite instead of the paid ones? 

 

This psychological pressure is the reason why other players were allowed to see what you got in loot boxes in CoD WW2. 

I find this fucking sad. 

 

Link to post
2 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I find this fucking sad. 

 

I actually think it’s hilarious. Imagined being bullied over a Fortnite skin. Kids are fucking ruthless lol. 
 

Funny thing is that whenever I play a game with skins, someone rocking default is either a complete beginner or actually insanely good with no in between. 

Link to post

Unpopular gaming opinion incoming. 

 

I don't care about lootboxes, positive or negative. Ive played plenty of games with them and I've never paid a cent for one. Ive esperienced very little negative about then that couldnt be applied to plenty of other systems of content delivery.

 

I've played RPGs where I spend weeks grinding out a less then 1% drop, but people wanna cry about grinding loot boxes and shit?

 

Spare me. 

Edited by RSG3
Link to post
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Funny thing is that whenever I play a game with skins, someone rocking default is either a complete beginner or actually insanely good with no in between. 

Or an adult who rather spend their money on something else. 
If I going to waste my money fibrously I rather get a case of beer instead of a stupid costume for a free to play game. 

Kid wants to throw shade my way, I quickly remind them I don't need daddy and mommy to buy me things. And I got far better PC and/or more consoles than they have. 
 

32 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I've played RPGs where I spend weeks grinding out a less then 1% drop, but people wanna cry about grinding loot boxes and shit?

How much actual money did you spend for that 1% drop in that RPG ? 

People who cry about loot boxes ether don't want to waste the cash for that same 1%, people threw away hundreds for that 1% drop out of a glorified Gacha machine.

My complain is I rather grind for a week than to drop in  $150  in glorified Gacha loot boxes to unlock shit. I used to remember it was like $1.99 to get Vader in SoulCalibur 4, now with EA/Dice Battlefuck I need to spend $150 for the chance to maybe unlock Vader at a 1% chance.  

Link to post
55 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

 

I've played RPGs where I spend weeks grinding out a less then 1% drop, but people wanna cry about grinding loot boxes and shit?

Presence of loot boxes fundamentally changes the design the game. The things the game will make you do will purposely make the play loop more tedious and grindy to force you to use the cash shop to reduce it. Ain't no game with microtransactions putting that shit there unless they want you to use it. I'm not about to treat my game like a second job. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
Link to post
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

 

I've played RPGs where I spend weeks grinding out a less then 1% drop

Lol I don’t do this shit either. If anything I consider my time even more valuable than my money. 
 

Fighting ridiculous RNG is something I’m absolutely done doing in video games, whether it’s paying money to spin the wheel on loot boxes or praying the game blesses me with a 1% drop like your example. Either give me a guaranteed way to get what I want or fuck off. 

Link to post
3 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

How much actual money did you spend for that 1% drop in that RPG ? 

Same amount I spent on loot boxes.

 

$0 outside the initial buy in for the game. 

Edited by RSG3
Link to post
7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Lol I don’t do this shit either. If anything I consider my time even more valuable than my money. 
 

Fighting ridiculous RNG is something I’m absolutely done doing in video games, whether it’s paying money to spin the wheel on loot boxes or praying the game blesses me with a 1% drop like your example. Either give me a guaranteed way to get what I want or fuck off. 

My threshold for that bullshit is 10%.

Link to post

ha, that reminds me that comic books/collectible shops back in the day did the "mystery loot-box" thing... I think sometimes they called it a "grab bag" or mystery box or something..... and I didn't like the concept back then either.  Same deal... I like knowing exactly what I'm getting for the money.  A box of something could end up being nothing but lame shit.  (and looking back on this...you know there's no way in the world they would put actual cool stuff in there) I bought it once and never again...because OF COURSE all the comics in there were lame old shit....not even *new* lame shit.  Well, at least 1 of them was a Silver Surfer comic, so that was at least something decently cool, but the rest of them were something you throw right into a dumpster.

 

Travelling <---nope, I'm not into it.  This is seemingly different from 95% of the human population, from what I see....it's especially annoying when you have family like an overbearing parent who is *constantly* harping on the idea that you should travel and go see another country and all that jazz.  If I'm being 100% honest about it... then no, I'm perfectly fine right here.  I may visit other cities in the U.S., but I already feel quite lucky to have been born in *modern-era USA (*ha, as opposed to old slave-time USA) in the first place.  The only notable landmark that is elsewhere in the world that I have a slight interest in seeing would be the Great Pyramids in Egypt....that's seriously it.  This is the modern age where we can easily see pictures and video of every other place in the world without physically being there.  Yep, I realize that most people think it's a sad thing if a person spends his/her entire life in 1 city, never setting foot outside their country.  To me, home is where the fun and relaxation is.  I never feel like I can be in full "chill mode" if I'm somewhere else.

 

Really, every time I've been somewhere else....even if I'm having fun at the moment... I'm also always thinking ---"...can't wait 'til I get back home...".  

 

 

Link to post
14 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Travelling <---nope, I'm not into it. 

See for me traveling is cool, but it’s on that list of things where you’ll run into people won’t shut the fuck up about. 
 

Traveling

Being vegan

Drinking

smoking weed

The gym

 

I feel differently about everything I listed, but occasionally I’ll run into someone who will make one of those things their whole personality and it sours me against whatever they’re discussing. 

Link to post
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

 

Travelling <---nope, I'm not into it. 

The thing with traveling is that I hate the getting there and getting back, the in between is awesome usually. But I get it, especially if you like sleeping in your own bed and having your stuff around it makes complete sense. Being on the road for as long as I was, I learned do the Carlin thing and pack a smaller version of my stuff and now, I could go for a week long trip with just a backpack. 

Link to post
10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I hate the getting there and getting back, the in between is awesome usually.

Schitts Creek Girl GIF by CBC

I fucking HATE the actual act of traveling. 

 

I hate driving

I hate being on a plane

on a train

on a boat

 

But I like being on vacation or visiting somewhere new. I usually have to sit down and deal with the pit of dread I find myself in before a trip and convince myself the transit will be worth it. 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select