Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

5 hours ago, Abbachio said:

I thought the xbox DRM issue was due to SKU checks between xbox one and series S/X games?

on topic, the correct Megaman classic list from best to worst is: 9 > &Bass > 7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 11 > 10 > 2 > 3 > 1 >>>> those bootleg as fuck DOS conversions > 8

I love 8. 😞 

Also, as much as I love &Bass that game is hot garbage lol. I’d rather play X7

(okay, maybe not that far. But you get the point)

Edited by iStu X
12 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Can't say as they I've ever heard of MegaMan & Bass 🤔

It was originally a Super Famicom title that came out fairly early in the PSOne/N64 Era and was re-released about a decade or so later in the west on GBA.

how it came about is Inafune wanted kids who didn’t have any of the new consoles yet to still experience a new Mega Man. Thus, he created Mega Man and Bass. This is also why Astro Man and Tengu Man from MM8 are in MM&B. 

Its also the first and only game  on the Super Famicom to use an system memory expansion pack/adapter like device because the game was so massive for its time due to being compiled of mostly unused assets from MM8

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

It was originally a Super Famicom title that came out early but during the PSOne/N64 Era and re-released about a decade or so later in the west on GBA.

how it came about is Inafune wanted kids who didn’t have any of the new consoles yet to still experience a new Mega Man. Thus, he created Mega Man and Bass. This is also why Astro Man and Tengu Man from MM8 are in MM&B. It also takes place outside of the main time line AFAIK 

Iirc it’s also the first and only game  on the Super Famicom to use an system memory expansion pack/adapter like device because the game was so massive for its time being compiled of mostly unused assets from MM8

It's a bummer that is a bad game because Inafune's reason for making it is a pretty good one.

18 hours ago, Abbachio said:

I thought the xbox DRM issue was due to SKU checks between xbox one and series S/X games?

on topic, the correct Megaman classic list from best to worst is: 9 > &Bass > 7 > 6 > 4 > 5 > 11 > 10 > 2 > 3 > 1 >>>> those bootleg as fuck DOS conversions > 8

Never thought I would see the day that someone would rank 2 as one of the WORST MM games yet here we are....

Should we be ranking the Power Fighters arcade games too?

Edited by Lantis

Ok so blatant hyperbole out of the way, that would generally be my list of favourites for the MM classic games, but I do feel 2, while good, is pretty overrated especially when the series improves movement and the like overall. 1 and 8 I just don't like pretty much all the way through. 2 improves on the first in terms of... well everything but movement doesn't feel as good as it does in titles beyond 3, to me.

5 hours ago, Lantis said:

Never thought I would see the day that someone would rank 2 as one of the WORST MM games yet here we are....

Should we be ranking the Power Fighters arcade games too?

No those are fighting games, silly.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:16 AM, MillionX said:

I enjoyed Simon's Quest; it surprises me how often I notice other Castlevania fans hated that one.

Simon’s quest is a victim of the times. Translating back then was really hit or miss. It’s why the NPC’s in games like Simon’s Quest and Zelda II had such weird dialogue that contradicted, just lied to you or just didn’t correctly explain things you had to do to continue the story. 

there’s been fan revisions of Simon’s Quest that clean up the correct it’s dialogue which make it the game it’s supposed to be. 

edit: didn’t realize this was posted by million on the first page. Lol. Wtf 

Edited by iStu X
7 hours ago, iStu X said:

Simon’s quest is a victim of the times. Translating back then was really hit or miss. It’s why the NPC’s in games like Simon’s Quest and Zelda II had such weird dialogue that contradicted, just lied to you or just didn’t correctly explain things you had to do to continue the story. 

there’s been fan revisions of Simon’s Quest that clean up the correct it’s dialogue which make it the game it’s supposed to be. 

edit: didn’t realize this was posted by million on the first page. Lol. Wtf 

The manual tells you that some villagers will lie to you, and that would be fine, except that there are certain things you'd probably never figure out in a million years without a guide (the Deborah Cliff tornado sequence for one.)

Here's an unpopular opinion. I think Simon's Quest is actually a great game, maybe as you said, a bit of a victim of the times, but a great game nonetheless. It showed, in an embryonic way of course, that Castlevania didn't just have to be an arcade style game and without it, we'd never have gotten the metroidvanias.

And hell, let's go for another one. I think most of the metroidvania games are rather cheaply designed attempts at copying the SotN formula. Most of them have the same types of areas, the progression is largely the same, and it wasn't until Portrait Of Ruin that it seemed like IGA finally gave up on trying to make SotN 2 (until Bloodstained anyway.) There are only a couple of the metroidvania titles that are truly great games whereas the classic games have far more well designed and interesting titles even though the formula is same in all of them.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

The manual tells you that some villagers will lie to you, and that would be fine, except that there are certain things you'd probably never figure out in a million years without a guide

That's them covering up the fact than the translations were terrible.
The Japanese version's Hints actually made sense. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Here's an unpopular opinion. I think Simon's Quest is actually a great game, maybe as you said, a bit of a victim of the times, but a great game nonetheless.

It would be if they didn't botch the translations.

I still stand by Simons Quest being boring as shit, even with the translatipn patch. I've also never seen a single thing to point to Iga being inspired by this game at all. He never mentions it when talking about Symphonys development. 

But I also will stand by the statement that most of It's a Metroidvanias are ok at best, with Harmony of Dissonance actually being kinda bad. Pretty crappy controls, Super saturated colors (I know why but it still sucks) and a pretty piss poor castle design. 

Edited by RSG3
46 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

That's them covering up the fact than the translations were terrible.
The Japanese version's Hints actually made sense. 

It would be if they didn't botch the translations.

I'm gonna bet that the bit in the manual is from the original japanese manual, not covering for it. I agree the game is a victim of poor translation though. There were several things that were colloquial Japanese that didn't really translate well, and that was part of it. 

10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I still stand by Simons Quest being boring as shit, even with the translatipn patch. I've also never seen a single thing to point to Iga being inspired by this game at all. He never mentions it when talking about Symphonys development. 

But I also will stand by the statement that most of It's a Metroidvanias are ok at best, with Harmony of Dissonance actually being kinda bad. Pretty crappy controls, Super saturated colors (I know why but it still sucks) and a pretty piss poor castle design. 

I don't think IGA was influenced by Simon's Quest, but it showed that the series could work in that capacity, which probably made SotN easier to pitch.

Funny you should mention the castle design in HoD. I think it's the first instance we got of bloated CV level design, but I really liked the A/B castle part. It reminded me of the normal/dark worlds in Silent Hill, how the dark world is a twisted version of the normal one and I think it's the one instance of the "remixed/reversed" level from a Metroidvania that's actually good. 

50 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't think IGA was influenced by Simon's Quest, but it showed that the series could work in that capacity, which probably made SotN easier to pitch.

I think thats a stretch considering it didnt do that well and they immediately went back to doing what did work well. I dont think Simons Quest has anything to do with Symphony existing, at all. Its all Iga and him wanting to make a game that lasted longer then a traditional Castlevania game did. Thats really it imo. I dont think Simons Quest influenced much of anything. Maybe it Influenced that other CV game that had kind of an open design inside the castle where you had to find keys and shit to move on...Was that Haunted Castle? I dont remember when they one came out. I just dont think Simons Quest relates to Symphony at all outside of both being CV games, and the whole Body Parts of Vlad thing for the true ending.

55 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Funny you should mention the castle design in HoD. I think it's the first instance we got of bloated CV level design, but I really liked the A/B castle part. It reminded me of the normal/dark worlds in Silent Hill, how the dark world is a twisted version of the normal one and I think it's the one instance of the "remixed/reversed" level from a Metroidvania that's actually good. 

I actually fucking hate the A/B castle design and is a biog part of what i was refering to when i said HOD had a terrible castle design. Getting around in that game is a fucking chore, and the A Side/B Side thing makes it that much more difficult to get around. Also weird shit in that game, like needing to use a teleporter to proceed when you only found the one, in a series that generally wont let you use a teleporter till youve found 2 of them. I remember being "Lost" for a while because i didnt know you could use the teleporter to go to a new part of the castle you've never been to before. Games kind of obtuse.

37 minutes ago, Camacho said:

I think too many of use were just so excited to have a new SotN style CV that we ignored how bad HoD really is. Myself included.

I agree, I remember liking HoD enough when I played it but honest Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow are much better. Circle was flawed due to hardware but that's no longer an issue these days really, while HoDs are still pretty apart and. He'll the graphical style of the game has only been made worse by how easy is to play gba games in perfect lighting anymore. 

4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

I think thats a stretch considering it didnt do that well and they immediately went back to doing what did work well. I dont think Simons Quest has anything to do with Symphony existing, at all. Its all Iga and him wanting to make a game that lasted longer then a traditional Castlevania game did. Thats really it imo. I dont think Simons Quest influenced much of anything. Maybe it Influenced that other CV game that had kind of an open design inside the castle where you had to find keys and shit to move on...Was that Haunted Castle? I dont remember when they one came out. I just dont think Simons Quest relates to Symphony at all outside of both being CV games, and the whole Body Parts of Vlad thing for the true ending.

I actually fucking hate the A/B castle design and is a biog part of what i was refering to when i said HOD had a terrible castle design. Getting around in that game is a fucking chore, and the A Side/B Side thing makes it that much more difficult to get around. Also weird shit in that game, like needing to use a teleporter to proceed when you only found the one, in a series that generally wont let you use a teleporter till youve found 2 of them. I remember being "Lost" for a while because i didnt know you could use the teleporter to go to a new part of the castle you've never been to before. Games kind of obtuse.

SQ may have met some criticism but it was really different from the original and Zelda 2 wasn't exactly beloved either because it was so different from Zelda 1. But both games still work and I would argue are good on their own merits. 

The game you're thinking of is Vampire Killer, which actually came out months before CV1 did on the MSX. But even that game was somewhat stage based if I remember right (I still need to finish that one), Simon's Quest is really the series' first legit foray into open world design. 

I think the teleporter thing in HoD tripped me up too, but I think that's the first instance of you moving form the a castle to the B castle. Either way, the game is bloated and the fact that Juste has those dashes is proof that even IGA thought so. 

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

I think too many of use were just so excited to have a new SotN style CV that we ignored how bad HoD really is. Myself included.

It really seemed like they were trying to make a portable SotN with that game. 

22 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

SQ may have met some criticism but it was really different from the original and Zelda 2 wasn't exactly beloved either because it was so different from Zelda 1. But both games still work and I would argue are good on their own merits. 

Sure I can respect that, and I can see why someone would enjoy the game, I just don't. You're right tho, I enjoy Zelda iI quite a bit and I don't think it gets it's fair shake. 

23 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

The game you're thinking of is Vampire Killer, which actually came out months before CV1 did on the MSX. But even that game was somewhat stage based if I remember right (I still need to finish that one), Simon's Quest is really the series' first legit foray into open world design. 

Ah yea Vampire Killer. It is stage based but the stages are open in design for you to wander around. You need to find the key to proceed to the next stage if I remember right. 

24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Either way, the game is bloated and the fact that Juste has those dashes is proof that even IGA thought so. 

That we can definitely agree on. Even that's kinda lazily designed tho, two dash buttons when holding a direction and hitting dash would do the same thing for you, and now you have a button to rotate spell books or something...games a mess lol.

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

I refuse to believe these are real transactions, ima have to play those games for myself and see, 😂

It's 110% real. Samurai Shodown VI has some wild-ass quotes like when Seiger, who fights with a giant iron glove beats Charlotte and asks her how she liked the fisting. 😂 I wish I could find more pics of them but that game is just hilarious.

Edited by DoctaMario
22 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Crunchy peanut butter is nasty. 

Toaster Strudel are far superior to pop-tarts.

Target > walmart

I've actually never had toaster strudel or pop-tarts...

In terms of the eye-candy situation....Target is indeed leagues beyond any Walmart.  For some reason it's always been a store that attracts some pretty fine ass white girls.  I always would advise anyone, if PAWGs are your thing then Target is one of the best places to spot them.  It's a normal, daily thing to see girls that are on the level of a Trish Stratus, Lacey Chabert or Stacey Keibler, or any random white CW-show actress in there.  haha, a "bad" day in a Target is when you see only 1 or 2 girls that are about a 6.5 to 7 out of 10, imo.   Normally it's loaded with fine ass (with a few occasional indians and asians here and there, of course)...this always fascinates me, when you notice that some places are just better than others when you want to see a very particular category of gorgeous women.  ha, meanwhile in Walmart... that's where you go to see women that look like Roseanne Barr and Lizzo. 😞 

Oh yeah---Horror icons.... I was much more of a fan of Jason  Voorhees and Freddy Kruegar, as opposed to Michael.  Part of this may be some childhood-born bias since the Friday the 13th movies are what I saw first.

..which reminds me, it would be one of the biggest disappointing revelations the day I found out a little more about that Friday the 13th game from a few years ago...at first I was hyped, and then found out "oh...it's online only....of fucking course.  ...and it has NO story mode either, just the 1 multiplayer mode, which looks janky on top of that."

angry jason terry GIF

On 6/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, Faltimar the Dark said:

Crunchy peanut butter is nasty. 

Depends on what you’re doing with it. It’s the better of the two when making stuff like cookies. 

Toaster Strudel are far superior to pop-tarts.

They both suck. 

Target > walmart

It depends on what you’re going in for. When it comes to video games I’m going to Walmart 10/10 times since they sell all their new titles up to $10 off.

So unless target has one of those buy one get one sales that includes preorder titles I’m going to Walmart every time. 

I also just don’t really like target anymore as far as shopping experiences go. I’ve had way too many issues with them when it comes to preorders. 

Edited by iStu X

I don't buy games from either place so that's of no concern to me.  Its more along the lines of Target is usually cleaner, easier to find what I want and as Million pointed out lots of fine tail in the place.

We make our cookies with creamy peanut butter.  Chunky is just nasty...imo.

Its been so long since I've eaten a pop-tart or toaster strudel.  I just know I always like the strudel better.  They weren't so dry.

The closest Walmart is a state away and I don't feel it's worth it to travel that far for one. There's plenty of Targets here and I like going there for grocery shopping. It's the most accessible place around with healthy food options. Got plenty of sugar free and low calorie food that I normally would have to go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for. 

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

The closest Walmart is a state away and I don't feel it's worth it to travel that far for one. There's plenty of Targets here and I like going there for grocery shopping. It's the most accessible place around with healthy food options. Got plenty of sugar free and low calorie food that I normally would have to go to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for. 

Yeah. I 100% get this. I would go to the target here way more often than I do but the closest one is about a 20 minute drive that I don’t feel like taking. 

we have Trader Joe’s sister store, Aldi’s here. There’s one down the street from my house but I’ve actually never been to it. I use to go to trader joes hella when I lived in Seattle though. There was one in the shopppng center right next to a card shop I went to regularly