Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:17 AM, DoctaMario said:

KoF XIII looks way better than KoF XIV or XV, just like Third Strike looks way better than any fighting game Capcom has put out in the modern era. Apparently these are controversial opinions. 

Guilty Gear has done amazing things with 3d but most companies are still shitting the bed when it comes to it. 

I also enjoy KOF XIII's sprite work, but SNK kinda goes from super buff to super lanky with the characters in that game....

3 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I actually didn't like Ralph and Clark looking like roid rage in 13. 

King looked like a little kid more than a woman too. 

13 has my favorite version of Athena. She’s moe as fuck.

AB61858A-E093-46E2-B37F-974BE2A2D688.thumb.png.9d0209aec8a863e5106a415e93de3d20.png

also, I agree 100% on Ralph and Clark. They looked horrible. 

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Takuma looks like a boss to while everyone in 14/15  looks like extremely cheap plastic figures. 

14 or 15 has nothing to do with it for me. 14 looking like trash has nothing to do with how I feel about XIII.  I just think KOFXIII looks are highly overrated. The sprites are higher res than the older games but it pointless the art is ass in my view. To me, it seems like people romanticize the games look solely because it has 2D sprites. I love 2D sprites but KOFXIII isn't it. The game has many of the pitfalls and problems I see in 3D fighters. Inconsistent art style. Some characters look fine, some look like complete dog shit.  I have agree to disagree with Takuma. He looks like a Kyoukugen version of Handiman to me. If I saw someone that looked like that I'd call 911 because I'd they were suffering from a medical emergency. I'd rather have the KOF 94 Rebout Sprites. 

yuri-sakazami-kof94-rebout-sprite.gif

I've probably said it before on SRK, but goddamn, I hate Contra Hard Corps controls. I get that they made the lock into a toggle because of the Genesis' godawful button layout, but holy shit it sucks to use in that game. I really wish the Contra Collection had added a control option to make it an assignable hold button (i.e. a shoulder button). I spend more time getting hit due to that dumb shit than I do learning patterns when I play it. 

Edited by Camacho
On 7/9/2021 at 5:41 PM, Camacho said:

I've probably said it before on SRK, but goddamn, I hate Contra Hard Corps controls. I get that they made the lock into a toggle because of the Genesis' godawful button layout, but holy shit it sucks to use in that game. I really wish the Contra Collection had added a control option to make it an assignable hold button (i.e. a shoulder button). I spend more time getting hit due to that dumb shit than I do learning patterns when I play it. 

That game was goofy. I didn't know until recently that it has a fanbase now, but I had it growing up and coming from the NES and SNES Contra games, me and my brother both thought it was pretty wack. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

That game was goofy. I didn't know until recently that it has a fanbase now, but I had it growing up and coming from the NES and SNES Contra games, me and my brother both thought it was pretty wack. 

It's definitely weird as hell, but that's not what irks me- it's that goddamn toggle position lock. They could have at least given a hold lock option. Playing with 3 right hand fingers and holding A or C would have felt better to me. 

ha, I think I mentioned that earlier here or another thread... I'm the complete opposite on that point---if the X-men aren't dressed up in the 90s blue/yellow outfits, it's automatically a tough sell for me.  Sometimes I think this tends to be based on whatever the character designs were when a person sees them for the first time.  It would be interesting if someone were to test that...like imagine, you show a kid Superman in the electric blue outfit before the traditional costume.... that kid might go on to be a fan of Superman ...but he may view the traditional red/blue caped outfit as lame or just not as cool as the electric-blue version.

...actually...I didn't mind the electric blue Superman design, actually it was alright....but yeah I prefer the normal traditional design.

A later design idea that I preferred--- Megatron as a tank----this made much more sense than Megatron turning into a laughably small handgun. 😆

Old Man/Boomer Moment:  I still don't get the appeal of Tick Tock, and I probably never will.

Post 2010 hip hop is a buzzkill 

I'm at this silent disco thing and there are three channels, a reggaeton channel, an old school channel, and a new hip hop channel, and the reggaeton channel is fucking LIT, the old school channel is what it is, and the hip hop channel is weak drums, slow tempos and wack rhymes. Not to say I don't like any hip hop post 2010 but I think hip hop is going thru the same thing rock did in the early 90s where there's a split going on. 

Edited by DoctaMario
10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Post 2010 hip hop is a buzzkill 

I'm at this silent disco thing and there are three channels, a reggaeton channel, an old school channel, and a new hip hop channel, and the reggaeton channel is fucking LIT, the old school channel is what it is, and the hip hop channel is weak drums, slow tempos and wack rhymes. Not to say I don't like any hip hop post 2010 but I think hip hop is going thru the same thing rock did in the early 90s where there's a split going on. 

The split has been happening ever since mumble rap became a thing. Though the popularity of mumble as died down considerably with drill being the new hotness.

11 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

Da fuck is mumble rap?  I know mofos be rappin' so fast I cant tell what the fuck they're sayin.  So now they're just like nearly whispering?

The new rappers don't even form words.

Gone are the days of Busta Rhymes who actually enunciate words. They are just sloppy ass jank that getting by doing the min

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

That's weird because, as someone that doesn't closely follow the NBA, I get the impression that people don't give Giannis his due. It seemed like people weren't giving him credit because he wasn't jacking up threes at high proficiency. IIRC he didn't even start playing basketball until he was in high school.

This is true, the narrative was always what Gianiss CAN'T do as opposed to appreciating what he can do. But ppl still didn't give him credit despite multiple MVP awards.

But this performance in the Finals left no doubt of his greatness, he dominated on offense and defense the entire series after being counted out, the Suns had no answer for him, Gianiss did as he pleased. 50 points and only one 3 point shot. Shit is amazing 

8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

It still cracks me up that people call it "mumble rap" 😆

The majority of trap rappers don’t even mumble but that term has become so prevalent that it doesn’t even matter. Will definitely admit that some of those guys are hard to understand (Future being probably the biggest example).

Also this thread is a perfect example of why I don’t talk about hip hop with people even though I love it to death. Old heads hate everything made after some arbitrary date and younger fans will literally not listen to anything that didn’t drop in the last 6 months.

We live in probably the best time ever for rap since the popularity of the genre means you can find new music frequently no matter what your taste is if you’re willing to look. But instead I gotta listen to my boss complain about how violent “new” rap is like Biggie wasn’t rapping about killing kids and fucking niggas with broomsticks on Dead Wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fighting game AI could be a great learning tool if devs stopped thinking about arcade mode as the old school quarter stealing AI and started updating the AI with tech and exploits the players were coming up with. Yes, fighting games are geared towards multiplayer but having another means of learning that doesn't necessarily involve another player would help everybody. 

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Fighting game AI could be a great learning tool if devs stopped thinking about arcade mode as the old school quarter stealing AI and started updating the AI with tech and exploits the players were coming up with. Yes, fighting games are geared towards multiplayer but having another means of learning that doesn't necessarily involve another player would help everybody. 

I don't think that opinion is going to be unpopular on this forum.