Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

-Street Fighter 2 is the only truly great SF game with the others being largely average to above average fighters (I say this as someone for whom 3s is my favorite) 

-Smash Ultimate is better, more intuitive, and more fun than a lot of actual fighting games when you play it like a fighter (i.e. 1v1 stamina mode) 

-NRS has been the best fighting game dev since MKX came out in terms of making their games easy to learn and giving the competitive community tool to be able to play the game with each other. 

14 hours ago, Vhozite said:

This was why I stopped playing monster Hunter world despite playing like a fiend for 2 weeks. The game is really easy. When I got to the elder gods and beat them on my first try with almost no trouble i uninstalled. 

Yeah, you didn't even play the real game yet dude lmao 

The first few elder Dragons you fight are kind of whatever. The real game starts on Master/G rank. 

Edited by M A R T I A N
38 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I'm with you, but maybe that's the point?  

I've been suggesting this for years. At a certain point I think you have to consider that the animation style is intentional. It resembles the classic games in a very faithful manner, warts and all. 

Unpopular opinion probably but: I actually like most of the animations in MK because they harken back to the old games, and in turn, they feel like the old games. 

It seems strange to me to attribute the animation style purely to incompetence when you can look at the character intros, cutscenes and fatalities to see they clearly understand how to make more traditional/realistic looking animations. 🤷🏾‍♂️

13 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

It seems strange to me to attribute the animation style purely to incompetence when you can look at the character intros, cutscenes and fatalities to see they clearly understand how to make more traditional/realistic looking animations.

Exactly. 

You want to talk about animation incompetence. Why does M. Bison wipe his head with no hat!

Something I thought about today. Chick-Fil-A is exceptionally mediocre.

7 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

Yeah, you didn't even play the real game yet dude lmao 

The first few elder Dragons you fight are kind of whatever. The real game starts on Master/G rank. 

Lol miss me with that “nah you gotta play 20/30/40 etc hours to get to the real game” shit. Im already at a point where I’m constantly killing the same shit over and over again to farm mats. I’m not gonna keep doing that on the off chance the game might eventually get challenging. Why the fuck are they already recycling content if the “real” game is farther in?

5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Something I thought about today. Chick-Fil-A is exceptionally mediocre.

I work in a mall right next to a chick-Fil-A and it’s insane how packed it is every fucking day. The food is good but mfs be there like it’s going out of style.

Like at absolute best it’s slightly above average fast food...but it’s still fast food. 

I don't know if I said this before, but I think Hideo Kojima is overrated. I think he, like many other developers of his era, benefited from the restrictions of hardware. The more powerful hardware got, the more his "games" started to feel less and less like games. He clearly wants to makes films, so he just do it already. Just, for his sake, I hope it comes out better than Hironobu Sakaguchi's efforts.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Lol miss me with that “nah you gotta play 20/30/40 etc hours to get to the real game” shit. Im already at a point where I’m constantly killing the same shit over and over again to farm mats. I’m not gonna keep doing that on the off chance the game might eventually get challenging. Why the fuck are they already recycling content if the “real” game is farther in?

Why are you grinding low rank monsters to farm low rank materials? Especially if they're already "way too easy" in the first place. You should be blasting through that stuff to get to the end game, where most of the challenging content actually resides. 

If you're still doing main story quests 30/40 hours in, that's on you lol. You can get to Master Rank stuff in like 8 hours or less. 

47 minutes ago, M A R T I A N said:

Why are you grinding low rank monsters to farm low rank materials? Especially if they're already "way too easy" in the first place. You should be blasting through that stuff to get to the end game, where most of the challenging content actually resides. 

If you're still doing main story quests 30/40 hours in, that's on you lol. You can get to Master Rank stuff in like 8 hours or less. 

I’m not you don’t even fight the elder gods until several levels into high rank. I can’t be assed to check how many stars it is, but to keep upgrading my Gunlances I had to grind monsters for gems (Wyvern gem, anjanath gem, etc) and other shit that apparently has like 1% drop rates. 

Aint nobody got time for that. 

37 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’m not you don’t even fight the elder gods until several levels into high rank. I can’t be assed to check how many stars it is, but to keep upgrading my Gunlances I had to grind monsters for gems (Wyvern gem, anjanath gem, etc) and other shit that apparently has like 1% drop rates. 

Aint nobody got time for that. 

Gems ain't hard to get. Doing bounties with gold and silver rewards can land you some gems. Capturing monsters instead of killing them will get you more drops. 

On 7/22/2018 at 10:35 AM, misterBee said:

- Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed games are fun and ppl who bash them have a stick up their ass.

no comment on AC as I never played them...BUUUUUUT

CoD is my fast food choice of game. I know what I am getting into buying it each year and I could care less what others say about the series. I have fun playing it and it's my go to game when I just want to play something without overthinking things. I think they should port CoD Mobile to Switch and I would be sold on that. 

I do play Diablo 3 and picked it up again. While it lacks more end game content, I have enjoyed it for what it's worth. My GF plays on Switch and PC and enjoyed it. We're both planning on playing D4 when it comes out. 

10 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Gems ain't hard to get. Doing bounties with gold and silver rewards can land you some gems. Capturing monsters instead of killing them will get you more drops. 

I know how to farm as efficiently as possible. I bee-lined Legiana set bonus and I have captured everything from like the 2nd mission onwards...trap tools were literally the first thing I bought. It doesn’t change the fact that I’m still being forced to run missions multiple times against creatures I’ve already fought that shit is dry and repetitive. Then I get my shit, finally fight a new creature just to not even be challenged. 

Monster Hunter is mid ass game but niggas won’t let you criticize any aspect of it.

14 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Monster Hunter is mid ass game but niggas won’t let you criticize any aspect of it.

You can criticize it all you want, but don't be surprised you're getting pushback when you're faulting the game for being  "too easy" because you're grinding early game monsters like a goober. 😂

It's like playing nothing but Arcade mode in a fighting game, then never coming back because "man this game is too easy". 

• 2 weeks later...

The Earthly realm is not very worth it to me anymore in my opinion. Even though my Consciousness has risen enough where my outside world has become more supernatural and spiritual, it is still too Earthly ergo boring. I have much transmutation to do still for my outer world to be a better reflection of my inner self. 

Somehow this is an unpopular opinion.

The new MK movie sounds like it's gonna be a four finger stinker, only thing separating it from the Tekken movie seems to be a much healthier budget.  That synopsis dear lord...can't wait for Mighty Cole Young to unlock the Arcana Heart and become Scorpion.  At least he's Asian, imagine if they pulled a KOF and they called Matt Mullins "Hanzo."

Edited by Psychoblue

I know that the FGC has only one actual Truth, and that Truth is Street Fighter. 
Street Fighter II started the scene, and Street Fighter IV revived the scene in 2009.

And when the FGC is hopping Capcom is King.

But we got people who reject Street Fighter 5 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite for Dragon Ball "Opps all Goku" Fighter the scene going to suffer. 
Namco (Tekken/ Soul Calibur) and SNK used to be great Number 2s, and they are (or were) also leaders in the scene, its Capcom that really drawls people in. 

Arcade sticks are seen now as specialty controllers the way steering wheels and Light Guns are, they stop being a 1 to 1 analogy to a game pad a while back. 

Fact as the devs don't take good netcode seriously, and that the leadership from the TOs and originations are not there any more. 
Few places left that talk big about fighting games online discourage new blood, which the FGC always needs. It's definitely not the Neo Geo Forums. 
Shmup forums always been it's own thing and other game forums have their own niche. Unity forums is long gone, I don't think the Nevernearlm forums are that active. 
What's left, a discord, Facebook, Reddit, LOL. I would like to say this place stepped up, but it's mostly old hats who remember when things were "gud" 
And fewer and fewer people want to take up the roles old-hats used to in the scene. Old hats are going to move on for one reason or another. 
The SRK Forums prior to this "Maintenance" is a symptom of the bigger problem. 

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

I know that the FGC has only one actual Truth, and that Truth is Street Fighter. 
Street Fighter II started the scene, and Street Fighter IV revived the scene in 2009.

But we got people who reject Street Fighter 5 and Marvel vs Capcom Infinite for Dragon Ball "Opps all Goku" Fighter the scene going to suffer. 
Namco (Tekken/ Soul Calibur) and SNK used to be great Number 2s, and they are (or were) also leaders in the scene, its Capcom that really drawls people in. 

Arcade sticks are seen now as specialty controllers the way steering wheels and Light Guns are, they stop being a 1 to 1 analogy to a game pad a while back. 

Fact as the devs don't take good netcode seriously, and that the leadership from the TOs and originations are not there any more. 
Few places left that talk big about fighting games online discourage new blood, which the FGC always needs. It's definitely not the Neo Geo Forums. 
Shmup forums always been it's own thing and other game forums have their own niche. Unity forums is long gone, I don't think the Nevernearlm forums are that active. 
What's left, a discord, Facebook, Reddit, LOL. I would like to say this place stepped up, but it's mostly old hats who remember when things were "gud" 
And fewer and fewer people want to take up the roles old-hats used to in the scene. Old hats are going to move on for one reason or another. 

The people who want to play will continue to, the people who rely on public opinion as to whether games or the FGC itself is "dead" or not will always find excuses not to. 

Speaking of unpopular opinions, I don't give a damn about crossplay. People whine about games that don't have it, but it's because they're too lazy to find opponents on discord and are just looking for excuses not to play.

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

The anime discord fighter scene is going strong atm.

Many of the players in the anime discords are new, aren't very good, and are in it for their waifus.  They have 0 interest in playing most other mainstream fighting games.  Waifu laifu gonna save the FGC.

The weebs are going to inherit the (FGC) Earth.  🌎

Even if this forum is mostly old people I hope you're all enjoying your time here. 🙂

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

The anime discord fighter scene is going strong atm.

Many of the players in the anime discords are new, aren't very good, and are in it for their waifus.  They have 0 interest in playing most other mainstream fighting games.  Waifu laifu gonna save the FGC.

The weebs are going to inherit the (FGC) Earth.  🌎

Even if this forum is mostly old people I hope you're all enjoying your time here. 🙂

Pillow humpers are taking over.... sigh.

8 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Street Fighter IV revived the scene in 2009.

I played fighting games for years, but IV was the one that made me register on the other site.  I put in an insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane number of hours into that game. SFV relatively speaking has become a coaster. I probably put more hours into the game in the last 3 month than the 4.5 years prior. 

6 hours ago, Hecatom said:

NFS Carbon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NFS Most Wanted 2005

I never could get into Carbon. 

People still regard Apple as innovative because their marketing campaigns are exceptionally successful.

Maybe an unpopular one? -- if an animated show is about mundane, real life stuff...chances are I won't like it.  "Anime" in particular...there's certain expectations I have there, from years...decades now of growing up watching stuff like Voltron, Robotech and Devilman way back in the day...to stuff like Dragonball Z, Bleach, then Death Note and Attack on Titan, etc today.  It's similar to my stance on video games....if it's mundane "real world" shit, then it's automatically boring and lame to me probably 99% of the time.  With the endless possibilities of animation and gaming---why stick to "realism"?  Bring on the giant armored titans that are ripping people apart, to shinigami with world-ending powers, and humanoid aliens that are capable of casually blowing up the moon with energy blasts from 1 hand...and have them talk shit to each other as they go into battle with each other.  That's always going to be the real deal for me.

Man, imagine if they had an "anime" version of something like "Murder, She Wrote" or a CSI show... nah it's a no for me dawg, get outta here with that. 🤣

13 hours ago, Camacho said:

Pillow humpers are taking over.... sigh.

lol

I generally like the aesthetic and art of anime (outside of the hentai/ridiculously big titties over sexualization shit) but I bounce off so many of them cause I guess I don't get it? 

I don't know if it's the way the industry works, but anime/manga go on for waaaaay to long and last years after they jumped the shark. 

They always either go on for way too long that it's daunting to start cause you have so much shit to read or watch, or it has so many spin-offs that you have no idea where to start. I call the second scenerio the Gundam Conundrum 

17 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Speaking of unpopular opinions, I don't give a damn about crossplay. People whine about games that don't have it, but it's because they're too lazy to find opponents on discord and are just looking for excuses not to play.

I whine about because I want to be able to play my friends while also being on my platform of choice. I don’t give a shit about what randoms I’m fighting or fighting some dude on discord I don’t know...the most important thing is player wise for me is being able to play my friends. And to do that I’d prefer not having to buy a game multiple times or even potentially a whole console I wouldn’t use much otherwise in the future. 

I want to be able to play my friends while also being on my platform of choice.

Exactly, I wanna be able to play my friends. Also, an unfractured player base is always nice. 

I don’t give a shit about what randoms I’m fighting or fighting some dude on discord I don’t know.

This is where Docta does have me dead to rights, I am 100% too lazy to jump on discord to fish for games. Fuck that. 

Also, if I'm new to the game and go through the trouble of finding someone on discord, coordinating the lobby and all that stuff only to get cooked like thanksgiving dinner, I feel like a piece of shit because I wasted that person's time. 

Sushi is fuckin' nasty.  I dont even know why it became trendy here to eat that shit.  Its healthy I guess but that aint why most people eat the shit.  My fat ex wife loved that shit and I ate it for years pretending to like it just so she'd stfu.  But that shit is slimy and mostly tasteless unless you really just like that stank fish taste.  Gotta douse it in soy sauce and that green shit so it taste like something.  fuckin' hipster jerks makin' that shit popular...nasty

According to what I have eaten from those three East Asian nations, I prefer Chinese and Korean food over Japanese food. I prefer Chinese food over Korean food. Chinese and Korean has more flavor. I have not really eaten a wide variety of their dishes, though, so I don't really have a very accurate taste of their food overall. 

Edited by Lord Vega
5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Though I haven't eaten a lot of Japanese dishes, I gotta say I'm not crazy about their cuisine. Something about their flavors and seasoning isn't too my taste. I like much better Chinese and Korean cuisine.

I like sushi, but when I was in Japan, a lot of the Japanese breakfasts we had the option of were basically the same ingredients as what you might have for lunch, fish and rice. So needless to say I generally passed on that. It was kind of like how a lot of Mexican food is the same handful of ingredients just in different configurations lol.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I like sushi, but when I was in Japan, a lot of the Japanese breakfasts we had the option of were basically the same ingredients as what you might have for lunch, fish and rice. So needless to say I generally passed on that. It was kind of like how a lot of Mexican food is the same handful of ingredients just in different configurations lol.

Oh, yes, fish and rice for breakfast lol. I have seen that. That did strike me as strange the first I saw that. But is it that strange when in the West we can have toast, ham and eggs for breakfast and later have a submarine sandwich with similar ingredients for lunch?

Some countries in Latinamerica , well more in the countryside, also have breakfast dishes that looked like they are from lunch hour. Even soup. 🥴

Edited by AriesWarlock