Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

42 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The uneven stages is the biggest reason I hated Tekken 4. You win as soon as you get the high ground. It doesn't help that move properties change depending on your elevation. Undoubtedly Obi-Wan favorite game.

That's what made it a little more fun for me over convenience. I think either Tekken Tag or Tekken 4 were my first tournament entries at the time. 

Edited by Emptyeyes
44 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

I'm not crazy. I only seem crazy to the uninitiated. 

I don’t know shit about you but tbh I think it’s sketchy you change your avi every 2 days. 

Unpopular opinion for this thread: I don’t care about whatever this dumb ass feud is

On topic: I strongly prefer strong/outspoken women to more quiet/passive personalities. Of the last 3 girls I’ve been interested in one is in the army and the other was a security guard who wanted to join the Marines. I really liked them but the latest was a quiet bookworm type and that shit ain’t for me. 

Edited by Vhozite

Games were better back before patches and updates gave companies the cop-out to print incomplete garbage.

Also:

This is particularly true with fighting games.

Constant updates absolutely ruin the genre.

Make a game, solidify gold, and let the meta fucking develop.

If nobody wants to play your game because it is an imbalanced mess, then make it right the first goddamned time.

We used to spurn Animu shit because peeps like Arcsys would iterate disc-based versions faster than the Japanese could localize it.

Modern fighting game iteration is much, much worse.

Edited by JHDK
25 minutes ago, JHDK said:

Games were better back before patches and updates gave companies the cop-out to print incompete garbage.

Also:

If nobody wants to play your game because it is an imbalanced mess, then make it right the first goddamned time.

We used to spurn Animu shit because peeps like Arcsys would iterate disc-based versions faster than the Japanese could localize it.

I can't believe I agree with you on something. 

MP games aren't really MP anymore in the sense of you vs. an opponent, figuring this out. Instead, it's just whoever studies and practices more aping off of the players that actually develop stuff. So these games just lose the fun of figuring stuff out and developing your own playstyle and gaining more exp from different sources actively.

Single player games also now have this issue. Rather than playing the games and enjoying them, most people seemingly watch videos first, especially if it's a more difficult game. Devs also think they have to make the games difficult because people that watch these videos first claim the games are too easy and not challenging. When people actually play a single player game now as they were played back in the day, they make a big deal about "going in blind" and ask for tips on how to play. I don't want to make broad sweeping generalizations but it's definitely something only from the younger gens, it's crazy to me how something that's supposed to just be enjoyable like video games somehow becomes something people are prepping for and studying. I bet these people spend more time watching videos and reading how to play a game than they spend preparing in school, or on a project at work. Then they want this weird mix of attention and validation, especially from people that aren't investing so much time on video games and so won't have optimal perfect play.

A specific example is Nightmare Grimm in Hollow Knight. HK is a pretty tough game in general, but if someone asks for tips or says how ridiculous some of this stuff is, some schmuck always claims it's super easy and that person needs to "git gud". What they don't admit until 5 pages of arguing later when they accidentally let it slip is they watched videos of the fight first then it took them an hour of dying, even after having seen how to win the fight, before they actually won. This, they claim, is "easy". This is also how back in the day people would see "Battletoads is so ez" but then make excuses to not actually play the game and show you, even if you offered to pay them. What is the point of this sheer idiocy? Why do people think it's impressive to just deny things or fake how good they are at something?

I'll add this also gets taken into mysteries. There's no way you'll figure out the bullshit tricks used, you can only guess at which trick is used if you've seen it before and guess at what info is being hidden. But people swear up and down how they figured it out at the start. No man, you didn't, stop circle jerking each other pretending you did.

15 minutes ago, Serpent said:

MP games aren't really MP anymore in the sense of you vs. an opponent, figuring this out. Instead, it's just whoever studies and practices more aping off of the players that actually develop stuff. So these games just lose the fun of figuring stuff out and developing your own playstyle and gaining more exp from different sources actively.

These two concepts aren't really conpatable imo. "Figuring stuff out" really has nothing to do with there being a second player present. 

39 minutes ago, Serpent said:

When people actually play a single player game now as they were played back in the day, they make a big deal about "going in blind" and ask for tips on how to play. I don't want to make broad sweeping generalizations but it's definitely something only from the younger gens, it's crazy to me how something that's supposed to just be enjoyable like video games somehow becomes something people are prepping for and studying. I bet these people spend more time watching videos and reading how to play a game than they spend preparing in school, or on a project at work

That shit is this? 

I am glad the new generation got videos on the internet to figure stuff out in a fighting game. Its a far cry from scrounging gaming magazines at the supermarket, looking to find player guides in the bargain bin hoping to find something, if not you are asking other kids on the school yard.

Kids always spend too much time reading about video games and watching videos instead of school work, this was around since video games hit the scene in the 70s. And before Video Games it was something else.

39 minutes ago, Serpent said:

MP games aren't really MP anymore in the sense of you vs. an opponent, figuring this out. Instead, it's just whoever studies and practices more aping off of the players that actually develop stuff.

This has always been the case. Ever since competitive video games were a thing, you acting like this shit is new and kids are spoiled. 
Hell the thing you are trying to accuse the new generation of players of doing has been a thing since February 14, 1962.

Edited by DarkSakul
22 minutes ago, Lord Vega said:

Serpent will not answer you since he doesn't argue. 

Well that and especially in an unpopular opinions thread. It takes a special kind of person to get worked up over something in this topic.

Although btier I have to say, for someone that should know better, you keep getting into arguments in that Lounge thread.

On 3/23/2021 at 4:35 PM, Emptyeyes said:

I really wanted to avoid this soooo badly. Unfortunately of that being the case, the majority here admits their own self-importance then, making them no one different than the person(s) they have a problem with on this particular subject. Humans are hypocrites, after all. 

Man just shut the fuck up. Your posts are fucking exhausting to read and you ultimately say absolutely fucking nothing. 

if you don’t like it here than leave like you said you were but then didn’t 

Edited by iStu X
3 hours ago, Serpent said:

Well that and especially in an unpopular opinions thread. It takes a special kind of person to get worked up over something in this topic.

Although btier I have to say, for someone that should know better, you keep getting into arguments in that Lounge thread.

Yeah, I need to stop getting into arguments. My ego still needs some training. I'm actually getting tired of myself. 

Edited by Lord Vega
3 hours ago, Serpent said:

The only time Btier gets into arguments in the lounge is when he argues with his alt.

Otherwise he flat-out starts shit.

This isn't opinion. This is fact. As a lawyer you ought to know the difference.

3 hours ago, iStu X said:

Man just shut the fuck up. You’re posts are fucking exhausting to read and you ultimately say absolutely fucking nothing. 

if you don’t like it here than leave like you said you were but then didn’t 

Honestly, if I get that bored with this forum, I will leave. Until then, I'm not going anywhere.

Take your own advice and ignore me. You don't have to see my posts, you know. 

There's no reason to be triggered by what I've said. Sensitive types all the same. Loosen up, a little. 

Edited by Emptyeyes
12 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

Honestly, if I get that bored with this forum, I will leave. Until then, I'm not going anywhere.

Take your own advice and ignore me. You don't have to see my posts, you know. 

There's no reason to be triggered by what I've said. Sensitive types all the same. Loosen up, a little. 

When you are trying to pull off dual trolling, you need to not let your tone slip up into the other "persona" so badly, as you have been, like this post clearly illustrates.

On topic, and still relevant to the above:

Btier is overrated.

2 minutes ago, JHDK said:

When you are trying to pull off dual trolling, you need to not let your tone slip up into the other "persona" so badly, as you have been, like this post clearly illustrates.

On topic, and still relevant to the above:

Btier is overrated.

Please clarify where I've actually trolled in this forum? So, according to you, I can't point out the faults and opinions of a certain community? Otherwise, it's considered trolling and annoying to you? That mystifies me. 

I never said I was all that and a bag of chips. You people were the ones that adopted the name for me, always wondered who I was, and alt account accused me. That consists  through out my time being here. So, I can argue to you people that you all have overrated me. 

You know, you actually had my back here at one point. To think, I thought you were "different" than the rest here.

11 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

Please clarify where I've actually trolled in this forum? So, according to you, I can't point out the faults and opinions of a certain community? Otherwise, it's considered trolling and annoying to you? That mystifies me. 

I never said I was all that and a bag of chips. You people were the ones that adopted the name for me, always wondered who I was, and alt account accused me. That consists  through out my time being here. So, I can argue to you people that you all have overrated me. 

You know, you actually had my back here at one point. To think, I thought you were "different" than the rest here.

You seemed genuinely Autistic at first.

You were doing s much better job of trolling back then.

A+tier, even.

Shame about the tells you leave.

You'd be opened up best out of 3, much less first to 10.

Pro tip:

If you are going to come up in here and refute being Btier, maybe DON'T have your other Btier nigh immediately post emails to both my post and yours?

The timing isn't merely suspect.

It is a guilty verdict waiting to happen once @misterBee sees it.

I have screenshotted the emojiis, by the way.

Edited by JHDK
8 minutes ago, JHDK said:

You seemed genuinely Autistic at first.

You were doing s much better job of trolling back then.

A+tier, even.

Shame about the tells you leave.

You'd be opened up best out of 3, much less first to 10.

Considering what the impersonal things I've said about myself in past and the change now, I don't see a need for me to be "that kind" and " that respectful" to you people anymore, because I was getting walked over by Cisco at one point. So, a little arrogance to guard myself can go a long way. 

1 minute ago, Emptyeyes said:

Considering what the impersonal things I've said about myself in past and the change now, I don't see a need for me to be "that kind" and " that respectful" to you people anymore, because I was getting walked over by Cisco at one point. So, a little arrogance to guard myself can go a long way. 

Nah.

Shut the fuck up, Btier.

The proof has been sent to misterBee, btw.

I do hope your E-Peen enjoys the IP Ban.

:coffee:

1 hour ago, Emptyeyes said:

The GD wants both me and you, gone, either way. 

Yeah. Most can't handle us because they are weak willed. I'm not saying that I don't get triggered as well though. I'm just going to ignore anybody that gets butthurt by me and avoid arguments that lead to nowhere. 

Edited by Lord Vega

Simple is best. If you can't state it simply, you don't really understand it very well, but you do though. Simple words can have infinite meaning. 

The Yin Yang explains the entirety of the Universe with Its Infinite Meaning in one image. The Yin Yang is a fractal.  

Edited by Lord Vega
38 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

While I do enjoy the spritework of them, I hate most of designs in KOF12 and KOF13.

My gripe is that you have people who look like they can literally punch a hole through a building (Ralf and Clark) and people who look like they would blow away with a mild gust of wind (Yuri)

ralf-12s.gif yuri-kof13-stance.gif

Edited by Lantis
15 hours ago, JHDK said:

Games were better back before patches and updates gave companies the cop-out to print incomplete garbage.

Also:

Tbh this is why I don't play modern fighters more seriously because I don't have time to keep up with all the balance changes. I could spend a bunch of time working on my game and then come back next patch to find out they patched it out. I'd rather play a remotely finished product than have to guess what they're going to change in a few months as a knee jerk reaction to some tourney result. I'm learning to be more casual with modern games though and that's helped a lot. 

13 hours ago, Serpent said:

I think the internet and how much faster information is spread and can be crowd sourced has changed this. They were still figuring stuff out about SF2 fairly recently, same with 3s, but at the same time, people think they have modern games all figured out and they move on, but who knows what other things could be found if people kept playing them like they do the older games.

I tested out the ignore feature. You need to add the user to the list but then also set it up after to actually ignore their posts and stuff. And then it's the lame style of "you chose to ignore this user" instead of reddit and twitter style erase them from existence.

You'll never be able to prevent stupid people on any decent sized online social forum/tool, but what you can do is give users an option to erase the particularly stupid people or use an upvote/downvote system to auto-hide posts. This is something reddit and social media excel in, but traditional forums and discord either don't believe in or can't do (better discord can do it though). It's imo, and here's that unpopular opinion again, the major reason reddit and social media replaced traditional forums: when people got a better way to limit their exposure to stupid people, they preferred to do that. I don't have a link but I remember reading a study that the most vocal people on the internet are a small number of dysfunctional people that are ostracized in real life, so they spend the most time online and are, again, vocal and visible. The study also indicated that unintelligent people often get triggered and frustrated, and lash out at people for that. The majority of people tend to not even participate at all.

For discord I'm in a lot of bigger servers where if there are one or two stupid people like that, and they're not moderated out, the servers kind of just die right out. Thousands of users and nobody talks. Meanwhile a better moderated smaller server of say a hundred people can be extremely active. Moderation is rather difficult though.

Actually I shouldn't say just stupid people, but also, and there's usually overlap with this but not necessarily, socially inept people. Socially inept people are obviously people that are unpopular in real life, but online, again, if there are no controls in place for them, they can shit things up and tend to kill interaction, because it's so hard to get rid of them or ignore them unless the tools are there, and they're user driven tools. Reddit isn't perfect, but usually I have to scroll down and actively choose to see the really stupid/insult posts. Most people just downvote and move on on reddit when it's something like that.

I purposely am not naming names, because honestly, I don't get involved in this stuff and it's easy for me to ignore for the most part, even if I sometimes just roll my eyes at some of it. But because I'm seeing some flames going back and forth on this thread and the saloon one, I figure some people might be better off reading this and stop taking the bait and getting into it with the socially inept morons. If said morons want to self identify, just take that as an opportunity to laugh at them some more, but do not engage. Especially if you're like over 30.

29 minutes ago, Serpent said:

Socially inept people are obviously people that are unpopular in real life, but online, again, if there are no controls in place for them, they can shit things up and tend to kill interaction, because it's so hard to get rid of them or ignore them unless the tools are there, and they're user driven tools. Reddit isn't perfect, but usually I have to scroll down and actively choose to see the really stupid/insult posts. Most people just downvote and move on on reddit when it's something like that.

If this is directed to me, also, then yes, I'm not popular in real life and no longer care. And that's the problem of the long-term insecurity and feeling pressured from measuring up to others by the mainstream, neglecting my own individuality. I think my discussions and debates on my own perceptions on things are wasted on people, due to how vastly unpopular they are. They are never going to understand my train of thought, but I can't connect to their own either. This is why I've dismissed myself from RSG3. 

Edited by Emptyeyes
3 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

If this is directed to me, also, then yes, I'm not popular in real life and no longer care. And that's the problem of the long-term insecurity and feeling pressured from measuring up to others by the mainstream, neglecting my own individuality. I think my discussions and debates on my own perceptions on things are wasted on people, due to how vastly unpopular they are. They are never going to understand my train of thought, but I can't connect to their own either. This is why I've dismissed myself from RSG3. 

I didn't name any names and I absolutely won't, but I can tell you 100% I was not thinking of you at all. I will not respond to anyone else that self identifies either, you are a special one time case out of pity.

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Tbh this is why I don't play modern fighters more seriously because I don't have time to keep up with all the balance changes. I could spend a bunch of time working on my game and then come back next patch to find out they patched it out. I'd rather play a remotely finished product than have to guess what they're going to change in a few months as a knee jerk reaction to some tourney result. I'm learning to be more casual with modern games though and that's helped a lot. 

Same here.

1 hour ago, Serpent said:

I didn't name any names and I absolutely won't, but I can tell you 100% I was not thinking of you at all. I will not respond to anyone else that self identifies either, you are a special one time case out of pity.

Hm. Fair enough. I wish I can have that trait of yours of not acknowledging nor arguing with people, instead of me belittling people for not knowing any better. That definitely makes you alright, in my book. 

59 minutes ago, Emptyeyes said:

Hm. Fair enough. I wish I can have that trait of yours of not acknowledging nor arguing with people, instead of me belittling people for not knowing any better. That definitely makes you alright, in my book. 

I didn't develop that ability until nearly two decades of getting trolled on the internet. The really mature people never get baited at all, it took into my early-30s to figure that out, when the really smart dudes figure it out by their mid-20s and women seemingly figure it out by their teen years.

10 minutes ago, Serpent said:

I didn't develop that ability until nearly two decades of getting trolled on the internet. The really mature people never get baited at all, it took into my early-30s to figure that out, when the really smart dudes figure it out by their mid-20s and women seemingly figure it out by their teen years.

Then I guess it's decided then, to work for this, at least minimizing entertaining people as baby steps. I would also need to work on not expressing my intuition toward said people. I have schizoaffective disorder, so, that may be the reason of being set off so easily. Your post definitely inspires me. Thank you and nice talking with you. 

I feel that Weaponlord is the most complete 2d fighting game out of them all for me. I like that the character designs and distinctive moves are in contrast to Street Fighter designs and inspirations that came after. I like that the overall system makes you work more to have an understanding for what it demands from you from a reset to re-interpretation on 2d fighting games. The lenient thrust blocks and swift animation from it are one of the critical aspects that greatly impacts the outcome of matches from a more intermediate to versatile level. Most of the special commands are holding medium or strong attacks and then completing the motions. It had one of the longest movelists for a 2d fighter of it's time and a more unique moderate to death combo system. It's more of a successor to the late 1980s barbarian due to it atmosphere. 

James Goddard over delivered himself on the games development and release in the middle 1990s. It definitely exceeds the depth, complexity, and rivalry to modern fighting games. 

Unfortunately, it's existence made me disengaged with most fighting games, with Virtua Fighter and Chaos Breaker being one of the few main exceptions. 

Edited by Emptyeyes

Key differences is Yugioh don't use any R&D or play-test their cards and the card concepts came out before they ever thought of the rules and the whole game pays for it harshly. 

Magic has an extensive R&D section of their card creation process, Yugioh also usually you required to pull cards from multiple sets, some many years old to make a functional set. Magic on the other hand you can make fully functional decks from a single block (which are 2/3 next to each other in releases sets), quite often you can make a functional and comparative deck from a single set. Magic also has a core set which allows reprints of "Staple" cards.
Magic's ban list makes sense, it does not change very often, cards are banned if they ether break the game or no longer make the game fun. 
Yugioh's logic to banning cards is throwing darts at a board and it will change every 3 to 6 months, and bannings and unbannings makes little sense. 

As for art, Magic's card art often start as huge oil paintings on canvas, yugioh uses ether digital or manga art. 

So I dug back into Doom Eternal hard after playing the DLC's- got better at it and I probably like the game more then Doom 2016 now. I did end up playing TAG1 on pansy difficulty (read that it has since been toned down a bit), played through TAG2 that way as well, figuring I was out of my league. I enjoyed part 2 so much that I played back through in normal difficulty, than did the main campaign again. The DLC forcing me to improve made the campaign more fun- the Icon of Sin was the only thing that really gave me grief (ended up using Sentinel armor after dying a few times, that fight takes way too long). I'll have to give 2016 another go and see how I feel about it in contrast now.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:30 PM, Serpent said:

You'll never be able to prevent stupid people on any decent sized online social forum/tool, but what you can do is give users an option to erase the particularly stupid people or use an upvote/downvote system to auto-hide posts.

We already have a system to auto-hide posts...people just don't use it.  Please see the below thread:

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

We already have a system to auto-hide posts...people just don't use it.  Please see the below thread:

You're going to have to change it to a mega downvote button, nobody is going to remember that casually. And most people don't want to really report someone unless its something bad. Just hide the names for the downvote button and make that do this.