Stage Select

The Return of.. Terribly Unpopular Opinions.

10 minutes ago, Serpent said:

You're going to have to change it to a mega downvote button, nobody is going to remember that casually. And most people don't want to really report someone unless its something bad. Just hide the names for the downvote button and make that do this. 

I'm not going to change the name of the Report function because it IS the reporting tool.  I can't simply make the thumbs down reaction turn into a report function either, because that's not how reactions work/what they are used for.

Some people do use the report/mega downvote from time to time, but unless a lot of people do it then nothing will happen.  The threshold for the number of reports needed to autohide a post is currently ridiculously low, but has almost never been met.

I have reminded people that this function exists multiple times, but basically it comes down to the fact that most people couldn't be bothered to use it.  Either way it's fine by me -- but the option DOES exist, and is well documented.  It's just up to people to decide it's something they want to use. 🤷‍♂️

17 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I've tried to get into Magic but I just can’t get into it. The card art has never appealed to me. 

Perhaps you'll enjoy their new direction.

Faithless-Looting-STA-672.jpg

16 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Magic has an extensive R&D section of their card creation process . . .
Magic's ban list makes sense, it does not change very often

Except for the last two years or so.

oh yeah...reminds me of that general category vehicles...

SUVs---I'm just not a fan.  I'd never really want to own one of those.  I'm more of a "regular car" person...preferrably a slick, sporty design... my dream picks are the Aston Martin (to ride like James Bond), Porsche, and as of recent years the Tesla.

I don't really like pickup trucks either... the only reason I'd ever have one is for purely practical reasons like being able to haul stuff more easily... when you get new furniture or happen to be moving, that's when it's nice to have a truck, obviously. 

*I hate that CD players probably are not a standard option anymore on most cars... I still have my CD collection, and yep I still listen to them.

I hate the PT Cruiser...the shit is SO ugly...but it has been fairly popular/successful for the past several years.  I wouldn't even keep it if I was given one for free.... I'd just sell it asap....haha I'm not about to be seen driving around in that if I can help it. 🤣

I didn't know cars don't come with cd players anymore.

My mom has a 2016 toyota and it has one. 

I have never wanted a truck or suv either. 

My car is a mix of small car and wagon called Toyota Matrix. At max, only 2 people ever sit in it.

I can fold down the rear seat to fit some bigger items which is nice. I have to have 4 doors though.

I only listen to cds or sometimes from my phone using the youtube app. It's not connected to the car. I just play it and let it rest on the passenger seat. Lol

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

oh yeah...reminds me of that general category vehicles...

SUVs---I'm just not a fan.  I'd never really want to own one of those.  I'm more of a "regular car" person...preferrably a slick, sporty design... my dream picks are the Aston Martin (to ride like James Bond), Porsche, and as of recent years the Tesla.

I don't really like pickup trucks either... the only reason I'd ever have one is for purely practical reasons like being able to haul stuff more easily... when you get new furniture or happen to be moving, that's when it's nice to have a truck, obviously. 

*I hate that CD players probably are not a standard option anymore on most cars... I still have my CD collection, and yep I still listen to them.

I hate the PT Cruiser...the shit is SO ugly...but it has been fairly popular/successful for the past several years.  I wouldn't even keep it if I was given one for free.... I'd just sell it asap....haha I'm not about to be seen driving around in that if I can help it. 🤣

While of course what someone wants to drive is their own business, trucks are super impractical if you aren't regularly using one for work or to haul things. Between the initial cost, putting gas in the thing, and insuring it, most people would come out way ahead just renting one on the rare occasion they need to haul furniture and whatnot.  

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

I didn't know cars don't come with cd players anymore.

My mom has a 2016 toyota and it has one. 

I have never wanted a truck or suv either. 

My car is a mix of small car and wagon called Toyota Matrix. At max, only 2 people ever sit in it.

I can fold down the rear seat to fit some bigger items which is nice. I have to have 4 doors though.

I only listen to cds or sometimes from my phone using the youtube app. It's not connected to the car. I just play it and let it rest on the passenger seat. Lol

I have a 2005 Matrix. It's got about 213k miles on it and is a bit noisy because the whole undercarriage of it is all rusty from too many northern winters, but it still rides nice and I have a friend who had the Pontiac version and got 400k miles out of it before he took it in to a garage to have the AC fixed and they somehow killed it. 

Diatribe incoming...

As for unpopular opinions, I hate websites. You may laugh and say, "but you're on a website right now" and that's true, I don't mean all websites, just most non-social websites. If anything, social media has made me realize that most websites are extremely inefficiently designed.

I've had to go to many corporate, government,  and school websites to try to get information,  make payments, etc, and the one thing they almoat all have in common is that the design and layout of them is universally awful. You'd think entities that rely on payments from websites or use those websites to distribute information would make sure that it was as easy as possible to find the information you need or make paying them as simple as possible, but it never is, there's always a degree of hunting that goes into finding what I'm looking for. I remember a rep from a music company coming into a store I worked and critiquing the layout saying, "You need to design the layout of your store for the dumbest possible customer" and I think the same is true for websites. I myself, may be that dumbest possible customer. 

Some of them (like the irs.gov site as of last year anyway) are optimized for Explorer and don't work properly in a non Explorer browser. Some of them break mid-operation and fail to actually follow through or demand I download their app to be able to pay them like the website I pay my medical bills through. Some of them don't have a web app so if you're accessing them  Maybe using mobile apps has dumbed me down a bit, but a  lot of them are much more efficient and better designed. When I access a lot of websites, it's like grocery shopping, I know what I want, I want to get it, and get out. 

Edited by DoctaMario
26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I think Steam is a crappy platform and I'll never understand why people jockride it so much, and act like having only one real PC storefront is a good thing. 

Having one storefront is problematic but it’s no different than all the people who buy everything from a place like Amazon, Target or Walmart. Being able to get everything you want in one place is convenient. Mind you I’ve used Origin and Steam, though I’m not sure if the former is still around. Genuine question...what else is there?

38 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Having one storefront is problematic but it’s no different than all the people who buy everything from a place like Amazon, Target or Walmart. Being able to get everything you want in one place is convenient. Mind you I’ve used Origin and Steam, though I’m not sure if the former is still around. Genuine question...what else is there?

EGS is the only other storefront I'm aware of that deals in New games and people trash that as if having some sort of comp to steam is bad, though I get some or the reasons they don't like it.  I don't really do the PC thing much anymore but i hated having to keep Steams bloatware updated to be able to play games I've paid for. Especially games I'm not going to play online. Really every steam game is online only if you consider that you have to keep their client updated to be able to play your library. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I think Steam is a crappy platform and I'll never understand why people jockride it so much, and act like having only one real PC storefront is a good thing. 

Why do you think steam is a shitty platform? 

39 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Origin is still around. It's where EA publishes all their PC titles. As to what else is there, the biggest competitors are the Epic Game Store and GOG. There's publisher based clients like Origin (EA), Uplay (Ubisoft), Social Club (Rockstar), Battle.net (Activision)

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

EGS is the only other storefront I'm aware of that deals in New games and people trash that as if having some sort of comp to steam is bad, though I get some or the reasons they don't like it.  I don't really do the PC thing much anymore but i hated having to keep Steams bloatware updated to be able to play games I've paid for. Especially games I'm not going to play online. Really every steam game is online only if you consider that you have to keep their client updated to be able to play your library. 

That's not how steam works at all. Yea, you need to update the client but that's not necessary to play your games. Steam has a offline mode. I've used it plenty when my online went bonkers and had no issues playing any game.

7 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That's not how steam works at all. Yea, you need to update the client but that's not necessary to play your games. Steam has a offline mode. I've used it plenty when my online went bonkers and had no issues playing any game.

I used to play SF4 on PC and it seemed like every time I tried to open it, there was an update that would take quite a but of time to make happen. I know there's an offline mode, nut you still have to keep the client updated to be able to play the games. If I need other software to run games on my PC that isn't the OS or something related to the game itself, I have an issue with that. People get uppity about games that are online only, but when yiu have to have internet to be able to update the client that allows you to play yiur games, isn't that kind of the same thing?

Edited by DoctaMario
12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I used to play SF4 on PC and it seemed like every time I tried to open it, there was an update that would take quite a but of time to make happen. I know there's an offline mode, nut you still have to keep the client updated to be able to play the games. If I need other software to run games on my PC that isn't the OS or something related to the game itself, I have an issue with that.  

That's never been my experience with steam. There were times when I had no internet for weeks and didn't have issues playing the steam games I had installed. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

That's never been my experience with steam. There were times when I had no internet for weeks and didn't have issues playing the steam games I had installed. 

Sure, but if you go online at all, it bugs you to update and won't let you start anything until you do. If you could just buy the games and never have to deal with Steam again then that would be fine, but you can't. They will always end up being an interloper between you and the games you've purchased. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I used to play SF4 on PC and it seemed like every time I tried to open it, there was an update that would take quite a but of time to make happen. I know there's an offline mode, nut you still have to keep the client updated to be able to play the games. If I need other software to run games on my PC that isn't the OS or something related to the game itself, I have an issue with that. People get uppity about games that are online only, but when yiu have to have internet to be able to update the client that allows you to play yiur games, isn't that kind of the same thing?

If you don't like Steam there is always GOG.

GOG doesn't have DRM so you can run/install games without having to be online/verifying with servers.

Yeah, the fewer barriers between the player and the games, the better, imo.  If I ever get back to PC gaming (ha, that's another terrible opinion for the thread there---console gaming is consistently a superior experience to me 😆... because I never have to tinker with a gotdamn thing.  I just get the damn game and play it.)....then yeah I'll likely just focus on getting stuff via GOG then.  Fortunately for me, there's only a very small # of PC-exclusives that interest me..... like Vampire the Masquerade games (since it looks like Bloodlines 2 won't happen anytime soon); it's a damn shame those never went to any console 😞 

Shiny rims on a car---there's another thing.  Yes, despite being a black person from the Southern region of the U.S.,... I've never cared about this shit.  The only "car toy" I thought looked cool for a while was the "lights under your car" thing back in the 90s....which reminds me; I haven't seen that in a while... I guess it was just a fad that went away at some point..?

MTV - I preferred this network as it was around the early to mid 90s.  This was the time when it was a mixture of the old and new eras... when they still played music videos BUT they also had regular shows like Real World, Road Rules, Liquid Television and Beavis & Butthead.

TV in general-- I prefer the era of recording things via VCR or DVD Recorders.  With streaming, the various companies have made sure we will eventually never own a copy of anything.  I liked that back in the day, it was a regular thing to just record episodes of your favorite shows, or a movie off HBO, and then you just have it for repeat viewing, theoretically for the rest of your life, really....or until the tape or dvd eventually wears out, I guess.  When the show finally gets canceled, you STILL "have" it. (*edit--yep, I'm one of those people that still has a lot of VHS tapes and DVDs/Blu-Rays, even now.)

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Shiny rims on a car---there's another thing.  Yes, despite being a black person from the Southern region of the U.S.,... I've never cared about this shit.  The only "car toy" I thought looked cool for a while was the "lights under your car" thing back in the 90s....which reminds me; I haven't seen that in a while... I guess it was just a fad that went away at some point..?

Yeah I always thought the under lights were cool but as you said they’ve never been common. I see a car with it less than 5 times a year lol. Was probably just a fad, but I know also there is a few regulations that you have to follow with that stuff too. Might be one of those things that’s cool but not worth the hassle. Shiny rims haven’t been my thing for a while either. I do love black rims and other colors though.

I don’t watch lots of tv but the stuff that I really love I keep on DVD or on a separate hard drive. Between copy rights, cancel culture getting shit nuked, and the new streaming services that seem to be popping up every day I don’t trust these services to always have what I want in. 

But my real unpopular opinion is that I don’t watch much tv shows much. I’ll watch movies and football but that’s mostly it. For me tv shows are like those manga’s that you read in an hour but there is like 100 volumes you gotta go through. I have no desire to invest that much time in anything that doesn’t really involve any feedback from me...it’s boring. 

Edited by Vhozite
22 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

I wish fucking idiots stop asking questions in Facebook groups for shit that 1 second doing a internet search would provide awnsers too.

This behavior I unfortunately not going anywhere. I have a job and a separate internship that I work right now. Like 33% of both positions is me answering questions that literally anyone could Google immediately and get an answer in the first two links.  

If they’re old (like retirement age and up) or a literal child I totally don’t mind helping you out since you probably need legitimate assistance finding what you need. But everyone else in between I have no fucking idea what their problem is. We live at a point  in history where you have access to almost all human knowledge in your pocket and people cannot even be fucked to use it. It’s to the point where people ask me things and like half the time I just bust out my phone and Google it in front of them. 

Its very frustrating because I waste so much time spoon feeding completely able bodied and mentally capable adults when there are people who need real help. 

Edited by Vhozite
9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Sure, but if you go online at all, it bugs you to update and won't let you start anything until you do. If you could just buy the games and never have to deal with Steam again then that would be fine, but you can't. They will always end up being an interloper between you and the games you've purchased. 

Steam updates never bothered me. They are super quick to the point that I often don't notice them. I'm always on steam so that might play a part in it. What you describe is what I have to deal with on consoles more so than steam.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

GOG>>>>>Steam. 

This is unpopular? For any single player game I don't understand why people wouldn't use GOG. I prefer GOG. DRM free and in general just better releases.

Steam is for multiplayer and stuff that won't be on GOG that you might tolerate DRM for because you love it so much, like DQXI for me.

11 hours ago, misterBee said:

If you don't like Steam there is always GOG.

GOG doesn't have DRM so you can run/install games without having to be online/verifying with servers.

GOG is more retro games though isn't it? I've only bought something there once, but they don't sell new releases do they? 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

GOG>>>>>Steam. 

My man 😂

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Steam updates never bothered me. They are super quick to the point that I often don't notice them. I'm always on steam so that might play a part in it. What you describe is what I have to deal with on consoles more so than steam.

I didn't always keep my computer online and it seemed like every time I jumped on to play something, there'd be an update and it would take awhile to download and then seemingly forever to execute for some reason. I rarely use Steam anymore and that computer is always online now but even still, I've had issues with it not loading my profile in a game because something in the client is gummed up and all I wanted to do was try something out in training mode for 5 minutes. Stuff like that definitely makes me glad I opted to go the console route instead of building a gaming PC like I'd originally planned. 

10 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

GOG is more retro games though isn't it? I've only bought something there once, but they don't sell new releases do they? 

GOG main thing is being DRM free since a lot modern games appear on the platform now. 

12 minutes ago, Serpent said:

This is unpopular? For any single player game I don't understand why people wouldn't use GOG. I prefer GOG. DRM free and in general just better releases.

It's not though GoG doesn't always get the latest releases so Steam remains my go to for anything on PC. 

35 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

My man 😂

They have plenty of new games, especially indies. They don't have usually the newer Jap games, since Jap devs love DRM.

They just released CP2077 a couple of months ago, and aside from that I know a few other major releases were on there, for games I don't really have interest in.

Since most of the games I play now are indies or AA releases, and I also like to wait a few months for a sale and for devs to actually fix their games, GOG is my go to store. I have some 70 or so games on there, probably 100+ with the freebies they give that I just hide. Steam I have probably a dozen and almost never log on now and haven't since I last played DQXI.

Again I only would ever use Steam for stuff that won't have a GOG release or for say a fighting game that needs strong MP support. But most people seem to be using Epic store a lot now too.

And when I see a GOG release of a game I already own, usually I'll get it off GOG, like FO3 and FNV which have better GOG releases since they're updated and maintained for newer OS'.

ha, I haven't logged into Steam in forever... I get the notice that it's trying to update every time I turn the computer on as well... I think the last time I played a pc/steam game may have been 2 years ago *at least* 😆.... most games that are a big enough deal typically are on consoles as well.  Aside from the VtM games (Redemption and Bloodlines), there's Hatred and Nex Machina (this is also on PS4 but I don't have that system, surprisingly).  Hatred was *supposedly* headed to the Nintendo Switch(!), but it seems that has fallen thru the cracks....the trailer was out before the pandemic, so that probably helped kill it off, I bet.  I had Hatred on my previous machine but it could barely play the damn game since I suppose it's a bit on the pitiful side. (though it was capable of running Bayonetta and Kingdoms of Amalur, at least...and Skyrim but pretty much anything can run Skyrim at this point.. all 3 of those are 360-era games so that's 2004/2005-ish level hardware.)

edit---ah yes... Wolcen is another one.  I was sure they had plans for a console release but I've given up hope on that, basically.  Now they seem to be just focused on fixing the various issues with that game.  Right away it at least has that 1 advantage of having an offline mode, UNLIKE the handicapped pc-version Diablo 3.

Edited by MillionX

GOG will always be the better route to go but it is limited on what games it has.  That's not to say GOG doesnt have a shit load of games...it does.  But newer releases generally wont be found there.  Even GOG has its own game launcher now.

And I always read Millions post and how he just wants to play games and not have to tinker or whatever.  What tinkering are you talkin' about?  I been built this computer I'm using like a year ago and I aint tinkered with shit other than putting another SSD in it.  This fuckin' thing is always on and always ready to play a game.  I never have to do shit but install my games and launch them.  Updates that come here and there for windows and steam but those are mostly automatic, I just have to click a button and they take seconds/minutes. 

I think a lot of people dont realize that gaming on PC now is not like it was in 2005.

Edit - Can you take screenshots on console and upload them easy style yet?

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
4 minutes ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

And I always read Millions post and how he just wants to play games and not have to tinker or whatever.  What tinkering are you talkin' about?  I been built this computer I'm using like a year ago and I aint tinkered with shit other than putting another SSD in it.  This fuckin' thing is always on and always ready to play a game.  I never have to do shit but install my games and launch them.  Updates that come here and there for windows and steam but those are mostly automatic, I just have to click a button and they take seconds/minutes. 

I think a lot of people dont realize that gaming on PC now is not like it was in 2005.

He probably doesn't want to set graphical settings to ensure that game runs optically in whatever hardware he's got. 

So I just finished a new playthrough of Doom 2016 after playing Eternal and its DLC's- I do like Eternal more now. It has almost a DMC3 feel for a FPS- you get a ton of tools to survive and play stylishly, but the game will spank you until you learn to combine and use those tools well. '16 felt too tame after Eternal. Eternal also feels more "gamey" in how it streamlines certain things so much more effectively (pits respawn with health loss instead of death, objective switches/items are harder to miss, etc) in the name of fun. 

7 hours ago, Faltimar the Dark said:

This is good though. I've played on PC since the MSDOS days and it's gotten easier and easier but still not so much that you can run a PC tournament. 

58 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

This is good though. I've played on PC since the MSDOS days and it's gotten easier and easier but still not so much that you can run a PC tournament. 

The downside of running a PC tournament isn't really the PCs themselves so much as it is people trying to use all sorts of controllers, often which don't conform to a standard.

Razer implements X-input in weird ways, or people try to use sticks that are shitty PS3/PS4 d-input implementations.  Having everyone show up with a proper x-input stick would fix 99% of tournament issues on PC, as they're almost always weird controller driver issues.

Having a row of PCs with the same specs and enforcing a controller rule would make PC tourneys just as stable as console ones, which by nature have the same restrictions.

Honestly the main reason tournaments are still console based is simply because consoles are cheaper and thus more economical to deploy at scale.

Interestingly enough, the cost dynamic flips again once you start talking about 2D games that don't require much power.  You can easily run Melty or UNIST tournaments on small, low-powered PCs using integrated graphics.

A small NUC can be mounted on the back of monitors and easily has enough power to run any 2D game, as well as older 3D ones.

intel-nuc-core-i5-nuc5i5ryk-mini-pc-revi

37 minutes ago, misterBee said:

The downside of running a PC tournament isn't really the PCs themselves so much as it is people trying to use all sorts of controllers, often which don't conform to a standard.

Razer implements X-input in weird ways, or people try to use sticks that are shitty PS3/PS4 d-input implementations.  Having everyone show up with a proper x-input stick would fix 99% of tournament issues on PC, as they're almost always weird controller driver issues.

Having a row of PCs with the same specs and enforcing a controller rule would make PC tourneys just as stable as console ones, which by nature have the same restrictions.

Honestly the main reason tournaments are still console based is simply because consoles are cheaper and thus more economical to deploy at scale.

Interestingly enough, the cost dynamic flips again though once you start talking about 2D games that don't require much power.  You can easily run Melty or UNIST tournaments on small, low-powered PCs using integrated graphics.

Sure, but you have the same dynamic that makes PC or Android apps more janky than Mac/iPhone,  because they're trying to make the same application run on a greater variety of hardware. I'm a dyed in the wool android user but sometimes when I see the performance differences between the platforms it's palpable, as opposed to a console where foe the most part everyone has the same experience. Every PC user's experience is probably going to be slightly different based on their hardware, OS version, revision version, etc. There are so many more variables in a less locked down ecosystem that makes it preferable for a competitive setting and I'd be surprised if that ever changes. 

Sure, but you have the same dynamic that makes PC or Android apps more janky than Mac/iPhone,  because they're trying to make the same application run on a greater variety of hardware. I'm a dyed in the wool android user but sometimes when I see the performance differences between the platforms it's palpable, as opposed to a console where foe the most part everyone has the same experience. Every PC user's experience is probably going to be slightly different based on their hardware, OS version, revision version, etc. There are so many more variables in a less locked down ecosystem that makes it preferable for a competitive setting and I'd be surprised if that ever changes. 

The main thing with a proper PC tournament though is that every PC would be the same.  Different hardware wouldn't be an issue because all systems used in the tournament would be identical.

A row of identical PCs with the proper spec to play the game vs a row of PS5s wouldn't be any different to the players.

The main issue with FGC PC tourneys is computers that can't properly run the game being used (ghetto laptop tourneys), or wild controller variables (negated by having a controller rule).

I don't see the standard changing from console in the future, but it certainly can be done. Non-FGC tournaments have been run on PC many times before, and eSports tourneys with millions of dollars on the line run on PC with no issue. Unfortunately PC literacy in the FGC is comparatively low compared to some other scenes, and the aforementioned cost will always be a factor.

Interestingly Evo will be playing Tekken on PCs this year -- I'm wondering how that will play out.  Since everyone is playing at home online the tourney organizer doesn't have to worry about the specs of the systems being used.

Why doesn't Dream Hack have this problem? It's the largest LAN party event in the world that's hosted tournaments for Street Fighter, Skull Girls, and other fighters that's available on PC and they happen to run just fine. 

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Why doesn't Dream Hack have this problem? It's the largest LAN party event in the world that's hosted tournaments for Street Fighter, Skull Girls, and other fighters that's available on PC and they happen to run just fine. 

How serious is Dream Hack tho? If I were playing in one of those tournaments I wouldn't take that seriously at all. People are already complaining about lag in the Evo online tournaments, if PC specs come into the picture it's going to be a shit show. 

I say this as someone who played thousands of hours on fightcade,  but if real money was on the line? Word....?

Edited by DoctaMario
4 hours ago, misterBee said:

The main thing with a proper PC tournament though is that every PC would be the same.  Different hardware wouldn't be an issue because all systems used in the tournament would be identical.

A row of identical PCs with the proper spec to play the game vs a row of PS5s wouldn't be any different to the players.

The main issue with FGC PC tourneys is computers that can't properly run the game being used (ghetto laptop tourneys), or wild controller variables (negated by having a controller rule).

I don't see the standard changing from console in the future, but it certainly can be done. Non-FGC tournaments have been run on PC many times before, and eSports tourneys with millions of dollars on the line run on PC with no issue. Unfortunately PC literacy in the FGC is comparatively low compared to some other scenes, and the aforementioned cost will always be a factor.

Interestingly Evo will be playing Tekken on PCs this year -- I'm wondering how that will play out.  Since everyone is playing at home online the tourney organizer doesn't have to worry about the specs of the systems being used.

Sure, BUT, it's a lot more difficult to get PCs all in line than consoles. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

How serious is Dream Hack tho? If I were playing in one of those tournaments I wouldn't take that seriously at all. People are already complaining about lag in the Evo online tournaments, if PC specs come into the picture it's going to be a shit show. 

I say this as someone who played thousands of hours on fightcade,  but if real money was on the line? Word....?

Major players attend Dream Hack and they major TOs help out. Jebailey is involved with them. They been doing online community events with payouts. All on PC. 

8 hours ago, misterBee said:

Interestingly Evo will be playing Tekken on PCs this year -- I'm wondering how that will play out.  Since everyone is playing at home online the tourney organizer doesn't have to worry about the specs of the systems being used

There been FPS and RTS Tournaments on PCs for decades now. 
And yes PCs have been wildly vary from fricking Top tier high tech marvels to the most ghetto-riffic POS that by all logic should not even be able to power on. 
If your own PC is not up to snuff to properly run a game, you are just setting your self up for failure. 

And some of the bigger PC only tourneys at events like Quake Con or what ever the European counterpart is have techs that will comb over every machine that comes in. 
They certify if a machine can compete. And people pay alot to ship in High end PC towers. 

Some of the sponsored players have practically new gear every few months 

And it depends on the Tournament. Alot of the FPS and RTS tourneys, its bring your own gear. Your shit is ghetto as fuck and it craps out mid match, you just threw the match. 
Like having a stick die mid match in a bring your own controller tournament. 

3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Sure, BUT, it's a lot more difficult to get PCs all in line than consoles. 

Not really, everyone got to log into the same server with the same anti-cheat software.
You are responsible for your own PC state and your internet connection 

18 hours ago, Serpent said:

They have plenty of new games, especially indies. They don't have usually the newer Jap games, since Jap devs love DRM.

They just released CP2077 a couple of months ago, and aside from that I know a few other major releases were on there, for games I don't really have interest in.

Since most of the games I play now are indies or AA releases, and I also like to wait a few months for a sale and for devs to actually fix their games, GOG is my go to store. I have some 70 or so games on there, probably 100+ with the freebies they give that I just hide. Steam I have probably a dozen and almost never log on now and haven't since I last played DQXI.

Again I only would ever use Steam for stuff that won't have a GOG release or for say a fighting game that needs strong MP support. But most people seem to be using Epic store a lot now too.

And when I see a GOG release of a game I already own, usually I'll get it off GOG, like FO3 and FNV which have better GOG releases since they're updated and maintained for newer OS'.

GOG is absolutely the way to go.

I have no idea why Epic would be uttered in the same breath, beyond their having tons of bought and paid for exclusivity of Indies and the like, and thus having a wide selection of such, because in every other conceivable aspect, they are the literal exact opposite of GOG.

With GOG you own your games.

You literally have the entire game sitting on your hard drive, DRM-free, to use at any time, on or offline, as you see fit.

Steam falls somewhere in-between these two extremes, though I would posit that it lands much closer to GOG than to Epic.

Regardless, GOG is the clear cut winner for consumers.

Edited by JHDK