Stage Select

Terrible Character Designs.

sheeeeit, I was thinking about how off-putting the designs in Street Fighter V are, then got on a tangent of searching the net, and noticed a thread about it on another forum (here) so yeahhhh I'm stealing that topic, bruh...

• Rufus from Street Fighter 4...so ugly I don't even want to link that shit.  It's the first time I've ever wished I could magically "erase" a character from existence in any fighting game.  He's that damn bad, man.
  • The "Cowardly Lion Edition Akuma" from SF5.
  • The big steroid freak in SF5...I forgot that clown's name; I don't mind some characters being super buff but that is ridiculous.  It looks like in real life he would be about 15 feet tall and about as wide as a city bus.
  • The main guy from this game RTX Red Rock.

Cartoon shit--- take the nostalgia bias off for a minute and remember "The Wild Thornberries" and "Hey Arnold!".  Those characters were all shit-stain ugly, man.  Also---most things from current-era Cartoon Network are an eyesore.  And of course...the latest offender is that new shit they're trying to pass off as "Thundercats".

*The Catwoman outfit/design from the Halle Berry version.  When I first saw the picture, I actually thought it was a joke...like no way it was a real picture of the upcoming Catwoman at the time.  It still looks like some cheap thing they bought at your local "Party City" store during an "after Halloween" clearance sale....for probably 14.99🤣

Edited by MillionX

From MK5(Deadly Alliance) ...

Hsu Hao . He looks like a Village People reject /Daboog.  

193853-hsuhaomk.jpg

Nanny (X-men/X-factor)

Most X-men villains look cool. Not this one alas.

Her biggest accomplishment was the "death" of Storm in Uncanny Xmen 248 and subsequent regression of Storm to a teen.  Her partner in crime Orphan Maker looks cooler than her. Issue 248 was the first X-men issue I read and Jim Lee's first work on an X-title so its one I remember.

She is a low level telepath who tries to steal mutant children from parents to "save them" . She was originally a scientist for an anti-mutant organization headed by Cameron Hodge but after trying to stop them , she was locked into an egg shaped armor and went insane.

350?cb=20141103174653

Batman TAS Season 4/5 Joker

latest?cb=20120420190327

The  eyes should stayed yellow .  The loss of the red lips is the worst change. He looks just like Freakazoid.

It makes him too  cartoony and less threatening. The facial color depending on lighting or other factors is often light blue/light gray as opposed to the stark white look in the previous design.

the only improvement is the change from the inner shirt to a green color,but overall a significant step down.

Catwoman Batman TAS Season 4/5

latest?cb=20110331114817

Too much black all around. It needs some different accents. Also, why is her skin tone stark white?

It seems  her an Ivy underwent this change. While Ivy is seemingly mutating into a plant /human life form, Catwoman is a regular white woman. In her civilian look, she has a typical Caucasian skin tone so why change it for the costumed look?  At least her civilian look went back to the dark hair after being blonde in the earlier seasons

Riddler  - Batman TAS S4/5

latest?cb=20110330232930

This riddler is an intellectual and narcissist. Wearing spandex doesnt really fit his character and why is he bald now? Lame.

^yeah that's terrible... that Riddler just looks like a dude in some weird pajamas, and the Catwoman design up there is just visually boring.

Time for what some may consider blasphemy, real quick....most characters in SNK fighters...from Art of Fighting to Fatal Fury...most of those guys/girls just look boring to me....many of them just look like plain-Jane ordinary people, even tho yeah they're doing things like hitting with fire and all that.  The major exception to me from SNK/Neo-Geo world is the Samurai Shodown franchise... I like those characters.

Another one that might be a bit controversial-- One Piece.  I've mentioned it before many times... I just can't get past the look of that show.  I've tried on several occasions...but the designs are so hideous it's actually distracting.  The designs on just about all characters in that are PURE ass.  They just look....goofy and stupid...and in the worst possible ways.  At least there is some noticeable effort and thought put into it, unlike bottom-tier shit you see on Adult Swim in the past several years, like 12 oz. Mouse....but still, that shit is ugly... possibly the ugliest popular anime in history, at least in my opinion.

Edited by MillionX
On 9/12/2018 at 1:59 PM, DangerousJ said:

Batman TAS Season 4/5 Joker

latest?cb=20120420190327

The  eyes should stayed yellow .  The loss of the red lips is the worst change. He looks just like Freakazoid.

It makes him too  cartoony and less threatening. The facial color depending on lighting or other factors is often light blue/light gray as opposed to the stark white look in the previous design.

the only improvement is the change from the inner shirt to a green color,but overall a significant step down.

This is has been the Joker look in animated DC stuff for years now.  I don't think it's bad.

Continuing with crappy designs..you know I had to go to the one franchise that is near and dear to my heart..

Live action Michael Bay Starscream (2007-2011)

starscream.jpg

Ye gads. I understand that the G1 design cant be copy/pasted but good lord is this ugly.

Pros: It has the cockpit chest and is a military jet with a different G1 actor doing a decent take on the classic Chris Latta voice

Cons (lol)

The ugly insect head (Most Decepticons movie heads are ugly but SS is supposed to be "good looking")

The very wide body that makes him look like a Doritos chip

Chicken legs

Bland color scheme

Edited by DangerousJ

Demolishor from TF2: Revenge of the Fallen (2009)

20090914041435!ROTF_Voyager_Demolishor.j

From arguably the worst live action film (and thats saying something), comes this Decepticon monstrosity.

Unicycles are comedy vehicles not alien robot bodies. No chest/abdomen/pelvis/legs?

Optimus executes him at point blank range early on in the film. While I would normally be upset at Op's more bloodthirsty movie portrayal, I can let it go for this dude.

Edited by DangerousJ

hahah... I'm not sure it's possible to make obese characters ever look cool.  At least to me they always look either nasty or just silly....like one is purposely designing the designated "joke character"...something you could never take seriously.

Digimon-- most of the "monster" designs in that franchise just looked goofy or lame to me.... I did enjoy season 3 of the cartoon though.  I bet it's a factor in why it could never quite match the insane popularity of Pokemon at the time.  Most kids probably just preferred the Pokemon character designs...simple as that.  They usually had a more simplified, streamlined, "clean" aesthetic to them that was more eye-catching and memorable.

Suicide Squad's Joker, played by Jared Leto - the overall look here instantly put me off.  I already didn't have any real interest in that movie, other than Margot Robbie being smokin' hot (*but her career is kinda on fire right now so we can see her in other things....no need to tolerate this movie just to see her).... but when they finally showed what he was going to look like---nahhhhhh it's a 'no' for me, dawg.  That Joker looked like a wannabe... like one of those random dudes in the "Jokerz" gang on Batman Beyond....a low-level thug that just aspires to be like the actual Joker.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 1:55 AM, MillionX said:

Another one that might be a bit controversial-- One Piece.  I've mentioned it before many times... I just can't get past the look of that show.  I've tried on several occasions...but the designs are so hideous it's actually distracting.  The designs on just about all characters in that are PURE ass.  They just look....goofy and stupid...and in the worst possible ways.  At least there is some noticeable effort and thought put into it, unlike bottom-tier shit you see on Adult Swim in the past several years, like 12 oz. Mouse....but still, that shit is ugly... possibly the ugliest popular anime in history, at least in my opinion.

I know the character designs for one piece are an acquired taste, especially early on in the series, but some designs are actually cool.

Mihawk

latest?cb=20141222220702&path-prefix=fr

Zoro

kisspng-roronoa-zoro-zorro-deviantart-on

Katakuri

5772168-dog.jpg

And some Nami/ Robin fanservice

latest?cb=20140304113709&path-prefix=id

2a9ef437cdf81aae436b616772e75260.jpg

As for horrible designs...

Infinite Man

1003998-infinite_5.jpg

Immortus

203519-170322-immortus.jpg

Karnak

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcROjbj6yv7n0_VW7lLyKvw

Ball cap era Cyclops

Cyclops-Marvel-Comics-X-Men-Scott-Summer

Hypno Hustler (Spider-man)

70s one off villain and was probably meant to be goofy. It succeeded.

Hypno-Hustler-Marvel-Comics-Spider-Man-D

"Cat" Beast (X-men)  (2001)

This was just Grant Morisson wanting to change things for not much real reasons. It looks dumb imo.

beast54.jpg

Later in Astonishing X-men(2004) he got a new costume by  John Cassaday, but while he is a good artist, this costume looks dumb. Its a pants and half a top?  Either  trunks or a full body outfit would have been better

3573944-3813397975-22488.jpg

First Class Beast was based on the cat version. It was a great movie, but this was one of its few failings. (Its rare that Singer does something better than Matthew Vaughn but here you go lol)

youngbeast.jpg

Edited by DangerousJ

This may come across as strange to some people but I was actually introduced to Street Fighter and the SNK characters through CVS1 (specifically, the KOF characters. I already knew of AOF and the FF series a little before then). CVS1 was literally the first fighting game that I actually took seriously when I was only ten years old. 

While many of the Street Fighter characters are iconic, my initial reaction to them was "what is going on here?" as far as some of their designs go. I understood the context behind most of their designs by the time got into the 6th grade, but even then I still favored the SNK characters more in the sense of how cool most of their designs looked or some variation of that. Shinkiro's artstyle helped a lot as well. Even then, SNK has had some odd designs here and there, specifically with the Maximum Impact series.

There are also some designs that I never understood either: Like some of the Fighting Layer designs. There was this boss in the game that used a odd fighting style to the point where he was almost animalistic and had a giant gatling gun that would come out of his own stomach as a super move. 

A lot of older 3D fighting titles from the 90's to early 2000's had some janky ass designs as well. 

1 hour ago, GreatDarkHero said:

This may come across as strange to some people but I was actually introduced to Street Fighter and the SNK characters through CVS1 (specifically, the KOF characters. I already knew of AOF and the FF series a little before then). CVS1 was literally the first fighting game that I actually took seriously when I was only ten years old. 

While many of the Street Fighter characters are iconic, my initial reaction to them was "what is going on here?" as far as some of their designs go. I understood the context behind most of their designs by the time got into the 6th grade, but even then I still favored the SNK characters more in the sense of how cool most of their designs looked or some variation of that. Shinkiro's artstyle helped a lot as well. Even then, SNK has had some odd designs here and there, specifically with the Maximum Impact series.

There are also some designs that I never understood either: Like some of the Fighting Layer designs. There was this boss in the game that used a odd fighting style to the point where he was almost animalistic and had a giant gatling gun that would come out of his own stomach as a super move. 

A lot of older 3D fighting titles from the 90's to early 2000's had some janky ass designs as well. 

SF characters are for the most part late 80s cultural stereotypes.  They are shallow as hell and everyone loves them simply because they're old.

KOF/SNK characters are mostly original concepts and so they tend to be more interesting.  They've certainly aged much better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread..

Mk 6 (Deception)

Kobra

kobra-mkd.jpg

Ken Masters in a Karate Kid gi.

Hes supposed to be in Kano's Black Dragon.

His first first fatality is just ripping the heart out, but the slams it in the face now.

The second one is just him kneeing the opponent twice, stopping dramatically, and then kicking his head off.

I actually think MK 6 had the best fatalities of the 3d era (4-8), so for his to suck was no excuse.

I cant remember his specials outside of a flaming axe kick lol.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2021 at 7:09 PM, Jurassic said:

Jeez, I'm dreading what She-Hulk will look like in the Disney+ show.

Nicole Bass but green

On 2/8/2021 at 5:15 PM, DangerousJ said:

Sorry to bump this thread..

Mk 6 (Deception)

Kobra

To be fair, all the new characters in the 3D era outside of maybe Havik looked terrible

Edit: Just noticed the length of time between the last post and now. My bad for necroing the thread.

Edited by Makrow
Apology for necroing the thread
  • 3 weeks later...