Stage Select

The Work Thread: How do you pay for your FG addiction?

2 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Programmer for a grant management company. I make money that's good for a single guy, but I feel below average for my profession at my time out of college.

If I was making the money I make now a couple years ago I would’ve agreed, but this inflation has made me feel like I have barely moved up. I make a little over $40k/yr with OT, and I feel like I been priced outta everything. It’s definitely more then the barely-above-min-wage I was making before, but it’s not as much as I thought lol.

I’m trying to stick it out at this place at least 3 years before getting something else since it’s my first job outta my 2 year school, but I’m feeling the pressure. 

I front loaded my fuck ups. Pissed away a full ride through community college then state school because I didn’t actually want to go to college, and even if I did I certainly wasn’t ready at 18. Changed majors like 3 times, and floated form dead end job to dead end job until I couldn’t finally hammer out a shitty associates in Solar lol. 

Anyways, I’m on the job drafting now which makes me happy since it’s an actual skill, and as a bonus I’ve learned a lot about electrical stuff. Currently in the “apply yourself” phase but one thing I don’t like about my job it’s that I feel like I’m slowly approaching the ceiling of what I’m gonna learn here. I used to have a good mentor/manager who’s since moved on, and my new manager just doesn’t foster the same learning environment (he doesn’t know as much as the last guy). Nice guy and a hard worker but frankly just not a great leader.

I'm a senior software developer at a genetics firm that specializes in detection of certain kinds of cancers. I'm in the six figures club as of a few years ago, but yeah if I had applied myself more I could've been there much sooner.

But the last time I got washed in Strive it was by a forklift certified tranny so who's really winning here.

I'm a graphic designer and marketing manager. I started out in advertising, but when I realized that was dying I moved on to printmaking and packaging design. I get to go to trade shows and work with an interesting variety of clients. Salary-wise it isn't great because the cost of living in my area is low, but it is much better than what I got from advertising.

I sometimes spend my free time making digital art, sketching or painting. Never, NEVER go into graphic design looking for creative fulfillment. Trust me, it isn't there.

Edited by Jurassic

The majority of my past work history were regular jobs before taking the entertainment industry path were some degree of law enforcement, whether I was stationed in convention centers, facilities, or events. Wanted to originally join the military over 20 years ago, but was ruled a physical liability after the written test. Wish that this could've turned out favorably, but my mindset didn't align with services' traditional values.

I've been a Gig Worker for over 10 years now,  because it's far more flexible for production courses, events, and working on the set when the mood strikes me. I think working when I want is less stressful and more peaceful.

Quite honestly, I miss FGs. I'd need to revisit this genre again. 

Edited by Emptyeyes_

I clean dishes for $9K a year...

I got offered a software engineering job at $90k a year and I could've dropped out of college to take that, and they offered to pay for my education in the industry as well. Everything was set until... The dreaded contract clause...

Hopefully when I graduate I can get revenge and get a higher paying job...

• 2 weeks later...

I work in higher edu basically the 'IT guy' of my department.  I do everything from reporting/data analysis, software implementation, programming/writing scripts for automation, test/QA systems we use post IT patches/upgrades  etc.

Pros:

-union contract

-lots of holidays off. Basically if it's a federal holiday, 99% it's a paid day-off.

-summer schedule aka work only 4-days. <-- The main *REASON* why I really stay in this sector

-remote work once-a-week 

Con: 

-Salary is not high compared to private sector

-no end-of-year 'bonus'

I actually just joined the six figure club earlier this year also. I prolly could've reached it earlier had I stayed in the previous  Ivy League uni but then again I prolly have no hair/dead by stress by now🤣. Out of my friends, I'm the only one still with lush hair just like in high school😂

spacer.png