Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I was coming out of an EZ pass booth and there was a Model 3 behind and we were both moving, but jfc the difference in speed is nuts. Like you said my car has a V8 and is faster than probably 85% of cars on the road and he blew the doors off my car when he decided he didn’t want me keeping up anymore lol. Don’t get me wrong my car sounds great, but it also felt silly making so much noise for my to get instantly gapped even already going over 100 lol. 

That aside, there just aren’t any EVs I like even though I like the concept. The EVs we have now I wouldn’t but even if they were ICE because they’re heavy as fuck, way faster than I want for a public road, they’re expensive, and most of them are shaped like eggs lol. I think a lot of tunes will change when we get something like an affordable Tesla Roadster or the equivalent of an EV Miata.

It's the batteries. In order to get enough range to make them viable the chassis of EVs is basically a battery rack. There have been some EVs I thought were cool but they were generally EV version of ICE cars. Well with the exception of Audi. Some of their E-trons are just nice looking cars. I'm fan of how the E-Tron GT looks for example.

2023_audi_rs_e-tron_gt-pic-9939959772427

That said, to your point, it's a 5,000lb car. 5,000lbs. My land barge 2015 Equus is 4,500lbs. The E-Tron looks like a 3800lb ICE car.

Yeah my dream car Pursuit V8/AWD Charger is ~4500lbs, so an EV being even more than that is nutty to me. 

Some people laugh but to this day so far the most fun car I’ve driven is my Ex’s clapped out 90’s civic. Small, light (2600 range iirc), fart can exhaust, no power steering, and slammed on the cheapest coilovers money can buy. Car had like 150HP and would scrape the ground if you so much as looked at a driveway or speed bump, but fuck did I love that car. 

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah my dream car Pursuit V8/AWD Charger is ~4500lbs, so an EV being even more than that is nutty to me. 

Some people laugh but to this day so far the most fun car I’ve driven is my Ex’s clapped out 90’s civic. Small, light (2600 range iirc), fart can exhaust, no power steering, and slammed on the cheapest coilovers money can buy. Car had like 150HP and would scrape the ground if you so much as looked at a driveway or speed bump, but fuck did I love that car. 

It was probably because of the more visceral experience. The sound dampening was low, so you didn't feel isolated from the road like you would in more modern cars. I like my Equus but if I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten something else. My Taurus SHO was much more fun to drive. Not as fun as my G8 GT but it was fun. Plus the AWD was nice for inclement weather.

19 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I was coming out of an EZ pass booth and there was a Model 3 behind and we were both moving, but jfc the difference in speed is nuts. Like you said my car has a V8 and is faster than probably 85% of cars on the road and he blew the doors off my car when he decided he didn’t want me keeping up anymore lol. Don’t get me wrong my car sounds great, but it also felt silly making so much noise for my to get instantly gapped even already going over 100 lol. 

That aside, there just aren’t any EVs I like even though I like the concept. The EVs we have now I wouldn’t but even if they were ICE because they’re heavy as fuck, way faster than I want for a public road, they’re expensive, and most of them are shaped like eggs lol. I think a lot of tunes will change when we get something like an affordable Tesla Roadster or the equivalent of an EV Miata.

The difference is that there is 0 loss from the engine (motor) because of gearing. Since the power is literally going to the wheels, torque is applied with little resistance. Now, that said, at top speed, you can trap them, but you'll need more than a 1/4 mile. 

19 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Speaking of being too fast for the road, it’s been 1 year with the Mustang and I’m pretty set on a twin or a WRX for my next vehicle. Just can’t decide if I want AWD and if I want to go manual or not. 

Food for thought 🤣

312626135_489795909856434_74352450799962

Waiting until things warm up to do a few things to the Charger. I have a new intake manifold, heads, headers, and rear diff to install. It'll then need to be tuned. Before any of that goes on though, I need to restore these Brembos. Don't want to be an example set by this meme:

416858717_6992143300873175_5023726907713

I'd really like to get a set of 6 piston (Hellcat variant) but the 4 piston will do. I don't know if I want to supercharge the car or not. I have both a 6.1L and 6.4L intake manifold. When I got the diff, the seller practically threw in a 6.1L intake manifold. The 6.4L is better if you remain naturally-aspirated; the 6.1 is better when supercharged since it is cast aluminum. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Food for thought 🤣

312626135_489795909856434_74352450799962

lol I’m going back and forth on the RWD vs AWD thing. The main thing I’m not enjoying about RWD is all the wheel spin when I want to accelerate hard. Breaking traction is fun when I’m purposefully trying to kick the rear end out, but the other 90% of the time when I floor it I want the power to go down  as clean as possible. The rear stepping out because I got on the throttle half a second too early coming out of a corner or bc it’s rained at any point in the last 12 hours irritates me. 

The issue I’m having is that the selection of fun AWD cars feels super slim compared to RWD. Like Darc said I want something more visceral than my Mustang and outside of the WRX and Lancer it feels like all the options are isolated, worse sounding (than my 5.0)  luxury cars.  

Right now my shortlist of cars I’m looking at is:

Brembo/Track Pack/Boss 302 Mustang

Pursuit Package Charger

Twins

WRX (regular or STI)

7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

lol I’m going back and forth on the RWD vs AWD thing. The main thing I’m not enjoying about RWD is all the wheel spin when I want to accelerate hard. Breaking traction is fun when I’m purposefully trying to kick the rear end out, but the other 90% of the time when I floor it I want the power to go down  as clean as possible. The rear stepping out because I got on the throttle half a second too early coming out of a corner or bc it’s rained at any point in the last 12 hours irritates me. 

I've read a lot of rhetoric about the idea that this is an American issue. Let me know what you think. The way I see it, this issue that you have is exactly what makes this fun to me. Not having any control until you romantically seduce the car into getting traction is wonderful. I love how technical it can be to go as fast as possible by eking out every square millimeter of contact and traction. I like doing everything on the limit, including accelerating from a dead stop. It should be difficult and irritating to find the sweet spot right up until the moment you drill into your feet how to get the best launch.

WITH THAT SAID

I think it would be so fun to blast off with 100% traction too. Yes, my slower and more technical approach is faster in reality, but it's less cool than the visual of a car just instantly shooting off into the sunset at a way higher starting speed.

Right now my shortlist of cars I’m looking at is:

Brembo/Track Pack/Boss 302 Mustang

Pursuit Package Charger

Twins

WRX (regular or STI)

The shortlist needs to be cut down by three options. All that should remain is the WRX STI.

Like Darc said I want something more visceral than my Mustang and outside of the WRX and Lancer it feels like all the options are isolated, worse sounding (than my 5.0)  luxury cars.

Hope this helps! ❤️ 

16 hours ago, Dayaan said:

The way I see it, this issue that you have is exactly what makes this fun to me. Not having any control until you romantically seduce the car into getting traction is wonderful. I love how technical it can be to go as fast as possible by eking out every square millimeter of contact and traction. I like doing everything on the limit, including accelerating from a dead stop. It should be difficult and irritating to find the sweet spot right up until the moment you drill into your feet how to get the best launch.

I might agree with all of this on a track/weekend car. Talking purely recreation a bit of drama is fun. 

I’m mostly talking about a car as a daily driver though. Between traffic, merging, imperfection road conditions, and generally just unexpected variables, I want to be able to go hammer on anvil with my inputs and the cars goes with no fuss. No wheels spinning, no rear stepping out, no transmission taking 10 years to downshift, etc. 

Talking purely in terms of personality, I’m very much a “all or nothing/it just works” kind of guy and I’m not a huge fan of things that require lots of finesse or precision. I go for layups over shots in basketball, 100m dash is my favorite sport, shotguns are my favorite guns in FPS games, I use the most straight forward characters in Street Fighter, lifting weights is my favorite activity, and so on. One of the reasons I enjoy working on cars over something like electronics is because of how heavy handed I can be with parts and tools and not worry about breaking anything. 

Edited by Vhozite

Cool video on the new GR Yaris. Not available here in the USA but theoretically a lot of these changes should make it to the GR Corolla. New torque converter auto, more driver centric interior, revised diff (read: shouldn’t overheat anymore), and a couple other changes. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2ASmjCMkR1/?igsh=OHZ3cTExN3oxNzFy

(Finally) a good look at the new pre-production Charger. Gorgeous front but that rear is funny looking imo. Also lol at most of the comments being “lol no V8”.

Edited by Vhozite
Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Damn, then call it something else. They are setting themselves up for failure. 

I think Charger is pretty damn good name for an EV lol. 

Joking aside, it’s all but confirmed it’ll have both an EV or TT I6 powertrain. Not sure how popular it’ll be but If it does flop I’ll happily buy one at a discount. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been driving MX5s on the sim. I need to get good at driving cars that aren't open wheelers competitively. I will smoke anyone here in an F1 car, but goddamn if I can't corner properly with a normal vehicle. It's so hard for me to adjust to a reality that isn't dominated by 2000 kilos of downforce...

Spoiler

The previous post was a week ago. I’ve spent the last week researching sports car driving techniques and using telemetry to analyze my driving errors.

I read that a Formula 1 driver claimed that it can take a year or more to adjust from open wheelers to sports cars on simulators, and I intend to beat that. Yes, I am trying to beat one of the best drivers in the world. My goal is to be proficient, not the best.

As an update, I’ve improved my average times around a typical circuit track by quite a bit. My time on Silverstone in an untouched Porsche 911 RSR (2017), was cut down by over 39 seconds… today. I spent about an hour driving and cut down my time that much just by implementing different execution techniques on different corners and by cleaning up inputs. For context, I know Silverstone quite well from driving open wheelers, and so it was less so a matter of learning what corners are coming up and moreso a matter of me learning how to drive a sports car around the track. 

I still have difficulty in sustained corners and I struggle to enjoy and control understeer. What I do know is that I can mitigate my weakness by reducing traction control in the appropriate corners on the fly, but it still does not target the root of my problem, which is that I don’t know how to drive slow the right way.

TL;DR

I cut down my lap time since my last post here by over half a minute by improving my driving technique through data analysis.

I still have room to grow.

• 1 month later...

Idc what anyone says I love this. Love the way it looks, love the hatch, love the standard AWD, and love the potential of TTI6.

This is also the only EV I’d consider buying. Unlike every other EV this actually seems like it’s trying to be cool, and it’s not a damn SUV and not a Tesla. 

It’s a shame I’m poor this would otherwise guaranteed be my next car.

• 1 month later...

Everyone knows I’m a huge F1 fan. It’s my favorite Motorsport, but I think Endurance racing might take over. IMSA is awesome but I don’t really care about American circuits. I prefer the international nature of FIA events. As such, I’ve been watching WEC. Holy shit, it’s incredible. That was a 15 minute long battle at the end of the race for the lead at Imola, and my team’s contender didn’t even win! But I had a blast. It was incredible. I loved every second of it. F1 is technically more interesting, has more drama, fanfare and insider looks into the behind the scenes action. None of that translates to the track as often as it does in WEC. Beauty.