Stage Select

The "What Stick/Controller Should I Buy?" Thread

DarkSakul

The “What Stick/Controller Should I Buy?” Thread

Click here to jump to the stick index / reviews 

Warning: This thread is heavily opinionated as are the nature of any product review

As well all have contrasting views on what is good/acceptable, as rule from the moderators, we shall not devolve into a VERSUS thread.

Personal opinions are fine, trying to argue that your favorite stick is better will not be tolerated. Do not confuse opinion with fact and vise versa.

Your Results/Mileage will vary. And don’t ask for us to make a choice for you, I am not holding anyone’s hand.

When it comes to my own reviews, I will not go through and point out what is my own opinions from what is fact (as my prerogative), and I encourage everyone to do your own fact finding research before you make a final conclusion for yourself. That is what google is for, finding your own research and making your own decisions.

Don't ask about sales, promo codes, or deals for any products. As the time of writing, we don't have any known industry insiders on the forum.

Keep in mind I am purposely leaving out many limited edition and/or collectors sticks, as it goes outside the intentions of the guide. Collectors are going to collect.

And I also like to keep custom sticks off the thread entirely, Custom sticks are outside of the scope of this guide and is considered off topic. Want a custom stick, make your own or hire someone to do it for you. I am going to completely ignore All-button "sticks", Keyboard-"sticks", Hitboxes and the like. If you want to review them, then make your own. 

And no this is not a carbon copy of the guide from Tech Talk, as that guide is out of date and I am leaving a lot of old stuff there. 

Last but not least I ask readers to go outside of this thread and do your research. Read reviews here on MEGASHOCK and reviews on online stores and in magazines. Weigh the Pros and Cons before deciding which stick to get. And please don't make new threads on what stick you should buy, read the thread first. Don't see what you are looking for ask. 

Before I start with the cool part of this guide, we will first cover three more important objectives.
And what you need to consider above all else.

• Needs
  • Wants 
  • Budget

Needs: This covers what you absolutely have to have, strip down and basic. With any purchase this is what you should think of first. When it comes to Video Game controls this is usually covered by the Default game pad, only a few games require specialized controls or controls modified for those who have special needs. Example a One handed controller for a gamer who only have one useable arm.
I am assuming most people reading this guide now are hardcore fighter or arcade game fans who the regular d-pad is not cutting it for you (for one reason or another).

Wants: This is what you have your heart set for. For most people this is your end results.

Budget: This is how much money you have to spend. Budget is the more realistic and sobering part of the purchase process. Typically a stick will run you 60 to 250 dollars U.S and up. retail this figure will change with what the normal market price is in your region of the world. Don't ask me personally where to buy sticks in your home country, I wouldn't know from my location in the US.
Any stick you find** less than $50** is not worth your money and breaks easy.

General rule of thumb on these things: when in doubt, pass. I’d rather pay the few extra dollars and get one that I KNOW works than one that may or may not. My peace of mind is worth a few extra dollars.

Keep in mind if you are broke (Budget), and the default game pad works fine enough for you (Need) that these 2 will and should over ride your Wants.

Now I am also going to cover other features of each stick/ controller here. These factors are also important to cover but goes secondary to the above. I be using this on almost every stick I list here.

• Quality
  • Reliability
  • Ease of Modification
  • Purpose or special use

Difficulty Scale for Modding
From a scale of 1 to 5. This will factor in installing Buttons, Joysticks and replacement panels, and to a lesser extend PCB replacement.

This will not factor actual Dual-mods, replacement art or any painting.

1. Easy: Standard parts drops right into place, reasonable access to all parts.
  2. Medium Easy: Still uses standard parts, access can be difficult/ time consuming
  3. Moderate Difficulty: Requires minor case modding or appropriate mount plates
  4. Medium hard: Requires some physical tool use to fit parts into place.
  5. Hard: Requires Heavy modding using tools to cut, grind or drill to fit replacement parts.

How to Win at eBay.

Keep in mind eBay is not an online store. eBay is a listing, and auction service, you are buying from that individual seller not eBay. And Every Seller is different.

For Experienced sellers who sold hundreds if not thousands, Look for sellers with a Feedback score of 99.5% rating or better. Huge time sellers with a 95% or lower are to be avoided like the plague. Pay attention to the text in the negative feedbacks, check to see if the negative feedbacks buyers actually have an issue or they are just jerks.

For people with a hundred sales or less, if they do not have a 100% rating, avoid them.

When Bidding:

• Never, ever bid early. You only drive the price up higher.
  • Wait till the last possible minute (or less).
  • Also decide in advance the maximum you want to bid, unless you GOTTA HAVE IT do not get in a bidding war.

Also there is no such thing as a “BEGINNER STICK” so do not ask. There are no Training Wheels in the FGC. :coffee:

There are too many joysticks to list them all -- these are just some of the more important/historically relevant ones.

Mad Catz

NOTE: Issues with early Mad Catz Sticks:

Xbox 360 version: Dual-modding with your TE with a Board for Dual modding, when you open up your stick, printed on the board should be its Revision Version printed on the board. If you have Rev A, that is the problem board. If you have Rev B you will be fine. Rev A = bad, Rev B = okay. I was also under the impression that Rev B boards are more reliable but at this point in time you are better off replacing the PCB. 

PS3 Version: Because of  the proprietary USB protocol encoding (UHCI) the PS3 versions of the original SE, Round 1 and Round 2 TE Mad Catz sticks, These early PS3 versions has issues operating on PCs with OLDER Non-Intel USB controllers chipsets (USB 1.1 and USB 2.0). The PS3 versions of the TE Round 1 and Round 2 are completely incompatible with USB 3.0 and onwards. Your best bet is to replace the PCB with something more Universally compatible. There no modern USB PCIe board that allows you to use theses sticks, so don't ask us to find you a PCIe expansion board for you. Mod your stick instead.

Street Fighter IV SE (PS3, Xbox 360)

Spoiler

Hts00ZT.png

A basic 8 button arcade stick controller.

Parts:

MadCatz  joystick/buttons (Sanwa clones)

Known issues: 

Earlier models may have issues with the PCB or Printed Circuit board.

Mod Difficulty: [ 1 ]

Sanwa parts are perfect drop in replacements and Seimitsu parts would also work well. PCB replacement is do-able because of the space underneath Only replacement art is for the top panel is difficult to replace due to the bent in the angle of the top panel, plexi is not an option here. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Wii) and the WWE Brawl SE are nearly identical but they have improved PCB quality. 

Tournament Edition "Round 1" (PS3, Xbox 360)

Spoiler

BiTU6al.png

(This stick got retroactively called the Round 1 to distinguish it from the later Round 2 TE)  

Type 1, 1st gen TE. Wider layout than the SE, with a leveled flat top. Red IV artwork. This is the TE that had the most issues with the PCB. As with the Xbox 360 versions, they possess a Xbox 360 [2.5 mm audio jack] mic port, the PS3 version lack the mic port. On the PS3 TEs the mic area is filled with a plastic plug.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Has many issues with the PCB, this was improved with later versions of the TE. Cable compartment can break.

Mod Difficulty: [ 1 ]

Uses standard Sanwa parts so it easy to mod. Plenty of 3rd party options for modding such as replacement panels and side pieces.

Tournament Edition Round 2 (PS3, Xbox 360)

Spoiler

2I4Edi7.png

(called the Round 2 on the stock art/retail packaging)

Revision of original TE. Slightly more reliable PCB but still has minor issues.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Cable compartment door can break.

Mod Difficulty: [ 1 ]

Tournament Edition S  (PS3, Xbox 360)

Spoiler

5JtSR2c.png

Updated shell with extra screw by the turbo panel. Possesses much better PCB. Uses the "extended size top Panel"

Parts:

Sanwa joystick / buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 1 ]

TE 2 (Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3/PS4) 

Spoiler

NE5Afpg.png

Mad Catz' first entry into the 8th generation of consoles.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Earlier models have issues with top plexiglass fit.

Opening the lid makes the stick easy to access, although the PCB is not common ground on the Xbox One version.

Note: The Xbox One Killer Instinct version of the TE 2 isn't a true Xbox controller and does not work on many games including other fighters. That particular model was originally intended to work only with Killer Instinct (2013). 

Street Fighter X Tekken Fight Stick Pro (PS3/Xbox 360)

Spoiler

g4dJ02F.png

New body style that is wider than the TE series. The Guide area is moved to the right side of the stick.  PCB improved over the TE models.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 1.5 ]

Odd PCB placement compared to the TE.

Versus Series (PS3/Xbox 360)

Spoiler

8j9ht8N.png

New body style. Easily identified by the screws holding everything together. 2 separate sticks can be joined together into a single 2-player stick.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues: 

None

Hori 

Real Arcade Pro  (PS2)

Spoiler

Kbu9mot.png

This stick has A and B revisions.

Parts:

Hori joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [2.5] 

Removing top panel requires bottom panel to be removed first. Issues in mounting Seimitsu joysticks on Version B.

Real Arcade Pro 2 (PS2) 

Spoiler

jM85vId.png

Parts:

Hori joystick/buttons

Sanwa joystick/buttons (SA version)

Seimitsu joystick/buttons (SE version)

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 2 ]

Fighting Stick 3 (PS3) / Fighting Stick EX2 (Xbox 360)

Spoiler

eEG9dTG.png

EKk06P1.png

PS3 version has 8 buttons on the front, 360 version has 6. There is a DOA 3 variant of this stick. 

Parts:

Hori joystick/buttons

Known Issue:

Reports of the PCB acting up.

Mod Difficulty: [ 3 ]

Fighting Stick Wii (Wii)

Spoiler

9t2usT7.png

Parts:

Hori joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Real Arcade Pro EX (Xbox 360)

Spoiler

Y3Dm0PC.png

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/Hori buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 2 ]

Removing top panel requires bottom panel to be removed first. Non-common ground PCB. Buttons can be replaced with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons easily. Universal stick mount.

Real Arcade Pro 3  (PS3)

Spoiler

Q7Pfgva.png

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/Hori buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 2 ] 

Removing top panel requires bottom panel to be removed first. Buttons can be replaced with Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons easily.

Wireless Fighting Stick 3 (PS3) / Wireless Fighting Stick EX (Xbox 360)

Spoiler

wedAzUp.png

Rcr3ddC.png

Tekken 6 came bundled with a Tekken-branded variant.  PS3 version uses a 2.4GHZ dongle.

Parts:

Hori joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Some users report input drops and lag.

Mod Difficulty: [ 3 ]

Fighting Stick V3 (PS3) / Fighting Stick VX (Xbox 360)

Spoiler

qsUEVyY.png

57uHghl.png

Parts: 

Hori joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 2 ]

Common ground PCB. Hori buttons are soldered to a PCB, but the PCB that the buttons are soldered to are not the main PCB but a secondary board that does not need to be saved for button swapping.

Real Arcade Pro.V3 SA (PS3) / Real Arcade Pro.VX SA (Xbox 360)

Spoiler

xeiMl8s.png

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Cable compartment door can fall off.

Common ground PCB. Buttons are connected with quick disconnects.

Real Arcade Pro V4 (PS3/PS4)

Spoiler

Pk78fLH.png

There are variants of this stick with special silenced parts.

Parts:

Hori Hayabusa joystick/Kuro buttons

Known Issues:

Common ground PCB.

Real Arcade Pro Hayabusa (XBO)

Spoiler

E091md5.png

Parts:

Hori Hayabusa joystick/Kuro buttons

Known Issues:

Real Arcade PRO V3 VLX (PS3)

Spoiler

8vxCzdO.png

Also comes in a blue 'Diamond' variant.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Easy-access top panel.

Real Arcade PRO Premium VLX (PS3/PS4)

Spoiler

BzYo128.png

Parts:

Hori Hayabusa joystick, Hayabusa buttons

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [ 1 ]

Easy access top panel.

Hori Real Arcade Pro N (PS3/PS4)

Spoiler

hIHT1qK.png

Has Gundam, Tekken, Soul Calibur, and Dragon Ball FighterZ variants.  Start button can be hidden behind a sliding door.

Parts:
Hori Hayabusa joystick, Hayabusa buttons

Known Issues:

None

Common ground PCB.

Hori Fighting Edge (PS4)

Spoiler

TSysPqX.png

Premium stick with aluminum finish.

Parts:

Hori Hayabusa joystick, Hayabusa buttons

Known Issues:

No issues

Touch panel is a pain to mod, but the board is common ground.

SEGA

Virtua Stick HSS-0130 (Saturn) 

Spoiler

Is6qlfC.png

Large 2-player stick mimics the panels found on SEGA Astro City arcade cabinets. Uses the same metal top panels as the actual cabinets.

Parts:

Seimitsu joysticks/SEGA buttons

Known Issues:

None

Sega Virtua Stick HSS-0136  (Saturn/PS2) 

Spoiler

yAABtek.png

Similar in visual style to the HSS-0130 stick.  Mimics Astro City arcade cabinet.  Was later re-released for PS2, and an unofficial off-brand version was made for the Dreamcast.  Was only sold in Japan.

Parts:

Seimitsu or ASCII joystick/buttons (differs from unit to unit)

Known Issues: 

Dreamcast variant of the stick has an internal Saturn to Dreamcast PCB that is poorly secured inside. The Adapter’s PCB is wrapped in bubble wrap and stuck on with double sided tape.

Common ground board.

Sega Virtua Stick HSS-0104 (Saturn) 

Spoiler

bas7C7r.png

First joystick released for Saturn. Inferior to the HSS-0136.  Uses poor quality parts.  Only recommended for collectors and not suitable for modding due to limited space.

Parts:

Unknown

Mod Difficulty:  [ 5 ]

Virtua Stick High Grade (PS3)

Spoiler

eCc17Rb.png

High quality joystick with metal body.

Parts:

Sanwa joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

Serious reported issues with First run PCBs.

Mod Difficulty: [ 2 ]

Agetec SEGA Dreamcast Arcade Stick  (Dreamcast)

Spoiler

xoRbICK.png

Excellent case and one of the better PCBs for Dreamcast controllers. The stick and buttons are below average.

Parts:

Agetec joystick/buttons

Known Issues:
None

Modding Difficulty: [ 5 ]
PCB is common ground. Modding the case to accept modern arcade parts is not easy. Top panel and shell have to be modified to accept 30mm buttons  and Seimitsu/Sanwa joysticks. 

SNK

Neo Geo AES Stick (Neo Geo/Neo Geo CD)

Spoiler

7IaErMw.png

Standard controller for the Neo Geo AES. Uses a 4 button curved layout and a Seimtsu joystick. Later variants using clone parts were made for the PS2, PS3, PC and Neo Geo X Gold. 

Parts:

Seimitsu Stick, proprietary buttons

Known Issues:

Plastic balltop on the joystick can crack with age

Modding Difficulty: [ 5 ]

Limited space can make it difficult to fit standard-sized parts

American/ European Style Sticks

Sticks in this category are meant to be used with American style parts (Suzo/Happ).

X-Arcade Joysticks (PC/Multi)

Spoiler

IqaDetl.png

Come in multiple configurations for one or two players.

Parts: 

Happ-like joystick/buttons

Known Issues: 

PCB not the greatest but there are worse on the market. Compatible with multiple consoles through the use of adapters.  Adapters don't always work well.

Pelican “Real Arcade” Stick (PS2/GameCube/Xbox) 

Spoiler

WVfqnB2.png

Parts: Happ-like joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

PCBs starting to show problems with age

MAS Systems Stick (Multi) 

Spoiler

OEJBqe8.png

Custom made-to-order American-style sticks.  Made for various systems.

Parts:

Mostly Happ Parts. Newer Models may have Perfect 360° joysticks.  Some models support Sanwa buttons.

Known Issues: 

Earlier sticks used a custom PCB. Later model sticks ditched the PCB for a hand-wired PIC chip taped down with scotch tape. The most recent models use actual PCBs again.

Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition Arcade Stick  (PS3, Xbox 360)

Spoiler

0wPdg9x.png

Has MK-specific layout.  Not really useful for playing other games.

Parts:

Uses custom Happ parts.

Known Issues:

None

Mod Difficulty: [3.5]

Accepts Happ and IL parts. Dual-Mod not possible with stock PCB without some electronic isolation.

NubyTech Official Street Fighter Anniversary Edition Arcade Stick (PS2, Xbox)

Spoiler

5XifPhe.png

Parts:

Happ-like joystick/buttons

Known Issues:

None

Accepts Happ/ IL Parts.

• misterBee changed the title to The "What Stick/Controller Should I Buy?" Thread
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've bought the latest Mayflash F500 Elite that supports Sanwa Button Modding not too long ago. I'm not sure how reliable these arcade sticks are, compared to the others you've posted. The basis of them, going further in depth prior in your original posts are noted. I don't know much about this subject, but I'll put my trust in you. 

• 8 months later...
30 minutes ago, misterBee said:

These days most sticks in that price range are the same.  Just buy the one that looks nicer to you/has the better price.

At this point, you're probably just paying for the different case? With the exception of a few sticks like etokki and mayflash, I feel like they all use sanwa buttons and jlf levers. So yeah, ditto.

waiting on that mas stick reboot tho lol

2 hours ago, hanzohattori12 said:

I have the opportunity to get either one for $150, so I’ll probably go with the Razor.

I have the Razer panthera and I like how easy it is to fix or swap out parts. $150 is a steal. If you need replacement parts such as the usb cable, it's really easy to get a hold of those as well for a decent price.