Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Heck he's the one dude in the video that shouldn't be apologizing. He's seems to be the only guy there that was willing to stand up to Linus before all this happened.

He's the guy who's known Linus the longest and knew him before he blew up. That would put him in a position where he can check Linus compared to anyone who isn't his wife. Luke should push him harder. He saved Linus from getting canceled a couple of months ago

• 2 weeks later...

If the pricing is right the 7700XT looks like it could be a good card. The 7800XT looks like a joke IMO. 6800XT 72CUs, 7800XT 60CUs. 6700XT 40CUs, 7700XT 54CUs. Won't know until we get independent bench marks but on paper the 7700XT is a significant upgrade over the 6700XT. The 7700XT should be $400 so AMD will probably price it at $450.

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-rx-7800-xt-16gb-and-rx-7700-xt-12gb-graphics-cards

Edit: Pricing got announced somehow AMD has managed to flip my opinions on the cards. The 7800XT at $500 is cheaper than I expected. I figured they'd charge $550. The 7700XT is $450......which is what I figured and $50 too high IMO.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
  • 4 weeks later...

I've being dumb right now. I ordered a new mobo, ram, and 7800X3D. Then I ordered case and ARC 770 for shits giggles to pair with my old mobo, ram, and 5800X. Not sure if I'll get the code in time, but I may have a Starfield key to give away. One came with my 7900XTX. Didn't realize they were giving them away with CPUs too. I think I'm done with tech for the foreseeable future....provided me new laptop comes back all good from my RMA.

TLDR: I may have AMD, Intel, and Nvidia graphics soon. 

On 9/27/2023 at 12:49 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I've being dumb right now. I ordered a new mobo, ram, and 7800X3D. Then I ordered case and ARC 770 for shits giggles to pair with my old mobo, ram, and 5800X. Not sure if I'll get the code in time, but I may have a Starfield key to give away. One came with my 7900XTX. Didn't realize they were giving them away with CPUs too. I think I'm done with tech for the foreseeable future....provided me new laptop comes back all good from my RMA.

TLDR: I may have AMD, Intel, and Nvidia graphics soon. 

I'll take the Starfield key off your hands if don't want it. 

@HawkingbirdI dont think I'm getting the extra Starfield code. I ordered my CPU on 9/26 but it didn't ship until 10/3. Promotion expired 9/30. I got it today but I haven't gotten a redemption code from Amazon. I thought they'd go by order date. Wish I could just give you my copy that came with GPU. I haven't even played  it an hour. Wish Steam would let you gift games you've played less than 2 hours too.

Side note: I got home from work and have spent the entire evening installing my motherboard, cpu, and working out all the kinks. Should have did this weekend but I was impatient. Hopefully this BIOS update lets me run my DDR5 6000 instead 4800 or I'm going to be salty. I checked the what RAM speed and the specific brand RAM ahead of time. Everything should work.....PCs....the gift and the curse of upgradibility.

Edit: Everything is up and running fine. DDR5 6000 is running at that. I'm set for a while now. 7800X3D, 32GB DDR5 6000, and 7900XTX. Only complaint I have is my 6900XT was whisper quiet and my 7900XT is audible. It's bad or anything. It's noticeable. When I'm not wearing my headphones or when I don't have my desk fan on. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

No worries. I'll wait until maybe the first expansion to get Starfield. Hopefully the mod support would have matured by then

Yeah, once Bethesda's fans get a hold of it. I'm sure Starfield will improve by leaps and bounds. The best thing about Bethesda games are their community. Bethesda basically releases a glorified "RPG Maker 3D" that their fans get a hold of and craft magic out of. I really wish I could gift you the key I got with my XTX though. If I'd bought it, I'd still qualify for return on Steam. IIRC I have like 49 minutes of playtime. With me bouncing between CP2077 and BG3, I'd barely have time for it, even if it interested me.

My continuing saga of PC building hits a snag. This fucking Noctua cooler man. I wish I would have known about the AK620 back when I got it, I wouldn't have this problem. This massive tank of cooler is too big. technically I can install the my CPU in my Fractal case but will have damn near no clearance from the bottom of the case. The DH15 is so big I can't use my other PCIE slot. So I'll be snagging another AK620. That will give the clearance I need.  All the aside, the Fractal case is pretty nice. It's more compact than my Phanteks but just as easy to work with.

Side note: I recieved my laptop back , they just gave me a new one. The CPU was the issue.

I'm not even mad. I can only laugh at myself with this Intel ARC build. I got my AK620 and a USB port converter(Fractal board has newer port for the USB C hub). I got all set to install the cooler and finish up things. Unmount the Noctua cooler......I don't have a AM4 back plate. I looked through all my stuff. I got all kinds ofIntel mounting hardware that I don't need. No AM4 backplate. I don't know if the shop never gave it back that did my upgrade a few years back or i lost it. I doubt it's the latter because I literally packed all the stuff away, even the Intel stuff, just in case i'd need it down the line. Like when I did the build I sold to Sonero. I took my extra 120mm fan from my Hyper 212 and mounted to his CPU cooler so he'd have two fans. One should have been fine for a R5 5600 but rather go overboard with something I'm sending to someone else.  It's not a big deal really. We are talking $7 to $10, but still. I only have myself to blame, I should just unmounted the cooler yesterday and I would have noticed it. So I'll finish tomorrow, when the back plate arrives...hopefully 😅

Got it everything up and running on the Arc rig in no time. I really like how easy this Fractal case is to work with. I wasted money on a Windows Key, because it didn't me for one and I have no water mark. Just getting all the drivers installed. Hmm...no why did do this again. I have literally no use for this outside fucking around. 😅

Edit: I've only tested Cyberpunk 2077 so far. Performance is simialr to my 4080 Laptop. Raytracing performance, is not far for the 4080 laptop. XESS is not as good as DLSS or FSR2 in my opinion. I'm not DF but notice some visual issues and what look like slight tearing at times. Its not bad by any means. It's just that I have the other two technologies to compare it too. 

Side note: I had update my BIOS on my motherboard for Resizable BAR to work. This wasn't an ARC issue, as GPU Z had the same issue. Not sure what was the cause. I had this BIOS before but rolled it back. It kept causing my system to power down at random. It seems stable with the A770 though...computers....man.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

So my PC tally right now sits at four now. I think I'm turning into @misterBeenah, I'm doing basic builds. Misterbee does cool custom stuff. All jokes aside, I regret the new laptop. The first one was faulty. The replacement seems okay so far but I don't like how hot the CPU gets even with Liquid Cooling. The CPU has a max temp of 100°C and I've seen it hit 92°C. Just like with cell phones, I think they've gone too far with making laptops thin. My old laptop was twice as thick. I REALLY wish they had an AMD option for the CPU. I would have taken an R9 7945HX in a heartbeat. I love the 7900XTX. Cyberpunk 2077 loves Nvidia hardware. Yet my new laptop with the same settings gets doubled up by the 7900XTX with Raytracing set to Ultra. For point of reference, my 6900XT was neck and neck with it. So far, I'm not fan of Frame Generation. It looks nice and smooth but you are still getting the latency of your actual frame rate. For example, if I turn Frame Generation on my laptop. It "matches" the FPS I get on my 7900XTX but it feels slightly better than the quality mode for CP2077 on PS5 which runs at 30fps. In NFS Heat it feels fine but that's because I'm already getting well above 60fps. Frame Generation only seems good when you are already getting a solid frame rate.  To put in in FGC terms, Frame Generation reminds me of SFV at launch. Yeah the game was running at 60fps, but because of the input lag, it didn't feel like it.

Old Laptop:

Intel Core i7 7700K

32GB DDR4-2400 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB

Intel Arc Build:

AMD Ryzen R7 5800X

32GB DDR4-3600 RAM

Intel ARC A770 16GB

Fractal Meshify 2 Case

New Laptop:

Intel Core i9 13900HX

64GB DDR5-5600 RAM*

Nvidia GeForce RTX 4080 12GB (laptop version is really cut down 4070Ti Desktop)

Main Rig:

AMD R7 7800X3D

32GB DDR5-6000 RAM

AMD Radeon 7900XTX 24GB

Phanteks P600 Case

*Thought I had a bad RAM stick, so I figured why not, but it was actually the laptop. If anyone need some Laptop DDR5 let me know. I have 32GB DDR5 5600 kit that's just going to gather dust.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I can't carry my desktop with me back home to Virginia. Most of the time I'm only there for 2 maybe 3 days tops. I need to be able to PC game on the go. Which is exactly what laptops are for. 

No no no.

You see, I'm only at my parent's place for 2 or 3 days at a time, maybe once a month.

I built a whole desktop just for when I'm at their place.  🙂

3 minutes ago, misterBee said:

No no no.

You see, I'm only at my parent's place for 2 or 3 days at a time, maybe once a month.

I built a whole desktop just for when I'm at their place.

Hmm.....I could actually do that with the ARC build I just did. I wish I would have thought of that before I dropped the money on the laptop. Although in that instance, I probably would have just kept the 6900XT. The ARC is just for me to play around with. Plus I like having Geforce, Radeon, and Arc cards to mess around with.....although my grandma doesn't have the space for me to just bogard with an additional PC.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
24 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I bought this drive from the current Amazon sale https://a.co/d/4NQ53qb

This will be my new steam drive. I've been thinking of having a duel monitor setup as of late so I might order a cheap spectre monitor and a monitor arm before the day is over

Hey that's a great pick up man. It's a well reviewed drive. Only reason I don't have one myself is that the ship time was a few weeks out when I was looking to buy the 790. The 4TB model was going for $195 at the time. I ended up going with this one. Which cost me $20 more. Now the 790 is $40 cheaper.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T2XVG16/ref=twister_B0C499WDWZ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Hey, what size and resolution monitor where you looking for. I snagged a cheap 1080p 165hz monitor my arc system. Right now I have a ni...jerry-rigged 👀set up using my old GAEMS portable PS4 monitor as a work around.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hey that's a great pick up man. It's a well reviewed drive. Only reason I don't have one myself is that the ship time was a few weeks out when I was looking to buy the 790. The 4TB model was going for $195 at the time. I ended up going with this one. Which cost me $20 more. Now the 790 is $40 cheaper.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09T2XVG16/ref=twister_B0C499WDWZ?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

Hey, what size and resolution monitor where you looking for. I snagged a cheap 1080p 165hz monitor my arc system. Right now I have a ni...jerry-rigged 👀set up using my old GAEMS portable PS4 monitor as a work around.

A silicon power drive was my runner up. This one in particular.

https://a.co/d/6iGkCpv

I went with the Lexar as it has better performance for $12 more. I'll keep that drive in the back of my mind if I need a storage drive.

I'm looking at 27 inch for the monitor. This is the one that caught my eye.

https://a.co/d/9jwwA5A

For what I want it for this should suffice.

@HawkingbirdThat Silicon Power drive is the second drive in my new laptop. I got it back in July, it was $160 then. The Lexar you have is on par with the higher end Silicon Power drive I linked in the previous post. That one is the primary drive in my main rig. It's crazy that's it's going for a budget NVME price with it's performance.

I was actually looking for a 1440p monitor but I couldn't find one with a high enough refresh rate for what I wanted to spend. So I settled on an off brand 27' monitor with a 165hz refresh for $110. Given the performance I've seen so far, it's probably best for me to stick to 1080p. I'll be able to hit triple digit frame rates without having compromise like I would at 1440p. Here is the off brand monitor I snagged. If it dies, it dies. It was just over $100. I'll find out how good/bad it is when I get home today.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDBK7GPF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Edited by Darc_Requiem
33 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@HawkingbirdThat Silicon Power drive is the second drive in my new laptop. I got it back in July, it was $160 then. The Lexar you have is on par with the higher end Silicon Power drive I linked in the previous post. That one is the primary drive in my main rig. It's crazy that's it's going for a budget NVME price with it's performance.

I was actually looking for a 1440p monitor but I couldn't find one with a high enough refresh rate for what I wanted to spend. So I settled on an off brand 27' monitor with a 165hz refresh for $110. Given the performance I've seen so far, it's probably best for me to stick to 1080p. I'll be able to hit triple digit frame rates without having compromise like I would at 1440p. Here is the off brand monitor I snagged. If it dies, it dies. It was just over $100. I'll find out how good/bad it is when I get home today.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BDBK7GPF?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

What was your budget for the 1440p monitor? Was it within the price range of the 1080 monitor you ended up buying?

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

What was your budget for the 1440p monitor? Was it within the price range of the 1080 monitor you ended up buying?

I wasn't really looking to spend much about a $100 just because the system I'm using it on isn't going to get the amount of play that my primary rig is. The monitor is fine for the money. The "HDR" support is complete ass but I knew it would be because of how low the nits are. The SDR image is good enough for what I need it to do.

"HDR" support will always be ass in anything that costs under $800. Even some of those monitors the support can be ass if it uses edge lighting instead of FALD. 

Using some amazon price trackers I see that current price of the monitor I want is the lowest price it's ever sold for. I was thinking about waiting for black friday but it's a good enough deal now. 

I find it ironic that everyone talks about how great Nvidia drivers are and they've been the least stable for me. I'm hesitant to install the lastest drivers that just went becuase the last set caused my laptop to hard lock up. I had to use DDU and roll back to the previous set. Meanwhile, I'm not having any issue with AMD and Intel. The latter is the most surprising to me.

31 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

According to every review of 14th "gen" Intel CPU I've seen is that it is a reskin of 13th. Just when Intel was getting back on track they pull this shit

The only one that is an appreciable upgrade is the 14700K and that's if you are doing productivity taskes. It has an extra 4 E-Cores. From a gaming standpoint it isn't better than a 13700K.  The rest are reskins with a 200mhz boost clock increase.

I decided to buy a new motherboard for my Intel Arc build. The existing one works fine but the onboard Wifi and LAN failed on it last year. I have LAN and Wifi cards, so it's not impeding functionality That said, I'd rather just replace the board now. At some point the prices of 500 series boards are going to increase, so I'll just take care of it now.

Minor update on all my systems.

• Arc A770 16GB - Drivers are have been stable for Arc. Outside of Star Citizen, which I barely play, running poorly. I have had no issues. Even with Starfield which is supposed to run poorly on Arc. 
  • Radeon 7900XTX - Zero issues. I typically don't use Raytracing but even in CP2077. I get well around 74fps with RT Ultra. So I leave it on. I don't really play a lot of online competitive titles, so I didn't update to the latest driver that removes Anti Lag+. Just make sure it's off in SF6. WTF AMD, you didn't think to run the implementation buy developers when it messes with DLL files. 😑
  • Geforce 4080 (laptop) - No issues with the current driver (545.84). CP2077, BG3, SF6 all run without issue. Previous driver(537.58) was a shit show. Caused my laptop to lock up and required me to do a hard rest. Which is nuts because the driver before it (537.42) was faultless as well. Aggravated me to no end because I thought I may have another faulty laptop.
8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I decided to buy a new motherboard for my Intel Arc build. The existing one works fine but the onboard Wifi and LAN failed on it last year. I have LAN and Wifi cards, so it's not impeding functionality That said, I'd rather just replace the board now. At some point the prices of 500 series boards are going to increase, so I'll just take care of it now.

Minor update on all my systems.

• Arc A770 16GB - Drivers are have been stable for Arc. Outside of Star Citizen, which I barely play, running poorly. I have had no issues. Even with Starfield which is supposed to run poorly on Arc. 
  • Radeon 7900XTX - Zero issues. I typically don't use Raytracing but even in CP2077. I get well around 74fps with RT Ultra. So I leave it on. I don't really play a lot of online competitive titles, so I didn't update to the latest driver that removes Anti Lag+. Just make sure it's off in SF6. WTF AMD, you didn't think to run the implementation buy developers when it messes with DLL files. 😑
  • Geforce 4080 (laptop) - No issues with the current driver (545.84). CP2077, BG3, SF6 all run without issue. Previous driver(537.58) was a shit show. Caused my laptop to lock up and required me to do a hard rest. Which is nuts because the driver before it (537.42) was faultless as well. Aggravated me to no end because I thought I may have another faulty laptop.

What's the form factor of the new MB? You get sub $100 on a few mATX. 

2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What's the form factor of the new MB? You get sub $100 on a few mATX. 

ATX. The build I did earlier this year was on a MSI B550 mATX. I prefer the larger layout the ATX form factor. mATX is a pain in the ass for me because everything is more condenced. Not good for my XXL hands. It took a gamble on a refurbished motherboard for $100. New it's $185. I went with a Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus Wifi. It was well reviewed from what I've seen. I could have gotten the exact same board I already have for $130 but I wanted something different. Current board is an Asrock  X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Wifi. But I'm wary about the Wifi and LAN failing again. We'll see if I made the right decision soon. Board is supposed to be here Friday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083SRFQPH/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Motherboard came in early. I got it installed. Looks brand new. Only complaint is the board only has one USB 3 header. My old board had two. Just bought a $9 adapter that'll allow me to use one of the two USB 2.0 headers. Sure it won't be full speed but at least the front mounted USB port will work. Not a huge deal. LAN and Wifi works on it. So if I ever decided to get rid of this thing, everything on it's functional.

Edit: For clarification it's a nicer motherboard. The strange lack of a second USB 3.0/3.1/3/2 (too many USB 3s....) header is the only downside. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Okay final update hopefully for 2 or 3 years, I have too many computers. Everything on the Arc build is good to go. I had a little issue with the LAN port but after a fresh Windows install and subsequent driver updates it's working as it should. Spent the last two days using my ARC build just to be sure. I've actually been using it to play Baldur's Gate 3 when I want to watch TV.  For what ever reason it crashes randomly on laptop. Lost like an hours progress, game doesn't autosave as much as I thought, because of it. Meanwhile, on Vulkan, no crashing on the A770. 

Honestly impressed with my Intel ARC experience thus far. My Geforce laptop has been the least stable of my three rigs. Based on what I've heard it should be the most stable. Followed by the 7900XTX and then the A770. In practice its' been the 7900XTX, A770, and the 4080 laptop. None of the experiences are bad overall though. I don't really play any games that are older than DX11 though. If I was playing DX9 and 10 stuff maybe I'd see the issues that others are having with ARC.

Damn, didn't realize the Legion GO was only $750 with a 1TB NVME Drive. Maybe I shouldn't have did that ARC Build 😅Not that I would buy one now since I already dropped significant change on my laptop. From the outside looking in, the only real flaw i can see is the RAM. It's only 16GB. There should should be a 32GB option. It looks to be far better thought out that the ROG Ally though. Hopefully Gamers Nexus gets their hands on one. I'd like to see Steve do a full breakdown of it. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-go-8-8-144hz-wqxga-gaming-handheld-amd-ryzen-z1-extreme-16gb-with-1-tb-ssd-shadow-black/6559604.p?skuId=6559604

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I have my eye on the legion GO. I'm waiting on reviews to see if it's worth getting. So far I'm seen nothing but positive things. Asus has been discounting the Ally since the Go dropped. 

Even before the SD card slot issue arose, I lost interest in the Ally after reviews. It doesn't have a big enough performance bump over the Steam Deck. Then I discovered why, the biggest thing holding back AMD APUs in the PC space is memory bandwith. In consoles they have GDDR memory so it isn't an issue. Valve knew this and they designed the Steam Deck to alleviate this as much as possible. Valve designed the Steam Deck with quad channel memory. So despite the Ally having faster memory chips it has lower bandwith than the Steam Deck. The Ally has dual channel so IIRC it has 51.2GB/s memory bandwith. The Steam Deck has 88GB/s memory bandwith. I'm curious about the GO. Yes it has faster RAM than the Ally but is it still dual channel. If so, it'll have bandwith that's faster than the Ally but lower than the Deck. I have a feeling the GO has dual channel. I think if it had quad channel they'd brag about it.

Edit: It seems well designed. The "FPS mode" is a nice feature. Timestamp should start at him showing off the feature.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Even before the SD card slot issue arose, I lost interest in the Ally after reviews. It doesn't have a big enough performance bump over the Steam Deck. Then I discovered why, the biggest thing holding back AMD APUs in the PC space is memory bandwith. In consoles they have GDDR memory so it isn't an issue. Valve knew this and they designed the Steam Deck to alleviate this as much as possible. Valve designed the Steam Deck with quad channel memory. So despite the Ally having faster memory chips it has lower bandwith than the Steam Deck. The Ally has dual channel so IIRC it has 51.2GB/s memory bandwith. The Steam Deck has 88GB/s memory bandwith. I'm curious about the GO. Yes it has faster RAM than the Ally but is it still dual channel. If so, it'll have bandwith that's faster than the Ally but lower than the Deck. I have a feeling the GO has dual channel. I think if it had quad channel they'd brag about it.

Edit: It seems well designed. The "FPS mode" is a nice feature. Timestamp should start at him showing off the feature.

Even if the Go has a bandwidth issues that leave performance on the table, it's software suite looks a lot more optimized than the Ally. Windows home works well on it and it doesn't have an abomination like armory crate running it. My main concern with it would be the ergonomics. It's a chunky boy and it doesn't look comfortable to hold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Apparently the 4060 8GB isn't selling to well. So Nvidia has come up with a solution. Lower price? Increased Specs? Nope.... 

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-preparing-geforce-rtx-3050-with-6gb-vram-8gb-model-to-be-phased-out

That's right. They are gimping the already worthless waste of sand 3050 8GB by discontinuing it and replacing it with a 3050 6GB which likely means a 96 bit bus 😒

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Ah for general use? Then that's fine. Typically at $500 they only give you 8GB of RAM. That model has 16GB. CPUs solid at 6 cores/12 threads.

Going for a entry level gaming laptop because I know that's what the oldest will want to do. He will want to play Roblox, Pizza Tower and other games he's into.