Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

4 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I think I figured why I don't have the sleep feature on my PC. I updated my motherboard bios and when it booted up windows I noticed that sleep was a power option. I got excited thinking the update was all I needed but when I went back into bios to set my overclock settings it was gone again. I use curve optimizer on my CPU. Could that be it?

Hmm I'm not sure.

Root around your BIOS power options and see if there's anything related to sleep/hibernate in there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

My best friend found a open box 3090 for $900. He was on the fence, I told him to go for it. The extra RAM is actually useful to him. He doesn't just game. I hadn't realized that they were up to $1800 online. Crazy!

He actually ended up getting a 4080. Just noticed this when I came update you all on something else. I still have things to button up but I got my old system put together. I just installed Windows. I'm going to change were I plug in my second CPU cooler fan or I may just take it off. I have to look like crazy man right now. I'm on my laptop, have XFL on TV, my desk is on behind me for no reason, and I'm using my GAEMS portable monitor that I use for my PS5 when I travel as monitor while I'm setting up my new/old rig. 😅

Edit: Think everything is good to go. Installed a game and cranked everything up to max to see try to stress things. Things seem golden. Now I need to decide what I'll do with this thing 🤣

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 2/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, TheInfernoman said:

probably not the place to ask BUUUUT I am looking to clone my main SSD drive that has all of my programs to a new one because my current one is almost filled up. What software do y'all recommend? 

Honestly it's better to just back up your important files and then do a wipe/fresh install of Windows.  Doesn't take very long at all.

I'm tired of compressed air cans. This has good reviews, so I'm giving it a shot. Not much dust in the old system. I'm guess the shop cleaned it out when I did my upgrade last year with Phanteks P600 case. It's was sealed up since then. I figure I'll give current rig a once over after I test this thing out in my old one of course. 😉

https://www.amazon.com/SIN-SHINE-Compressed-Electric-AD01-Black/dp/B083LNC6NR

40 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm tired of compressed air cans. This has good reviews, so I'm giving it a shot. Not much dust in the old system. I'm guess the shop cleaned it out when I did my upgrade last year with Phanteks P600 case. It's was sealed up since then. I figure I'll give current rig a once over after I test this thing out in my old one of course. 😉

I have an air duster.  It is a lifesaver.   I started a PC building business recently and I use it all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/MetroVac-ED-500-ESD-Anti-Satatic-Electric-Duster/dp/B07TS8GKTF/ref=sr_1_10?crid=3O2UQ0BFYTH22&keywords=datavac&qid=1676930539&s=office-products&sprefix=data+vac%2Coffice-products%2C61&sr=1-10&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.304cacc1-b508-45fb-a37f-a2c47c48c32f

This is the one I got.  I got it for a good price on FB marketplace.

On 2/20/2023 at 4:21 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I've been using an air duster for the last 5 years. Those things are amazing and a huge saver on money and time. 

Final update on my old/new PC.  Everything is in working order. The Wifi card wasn't showing up, but after doing some research, I downloaded MSI Center. It was a pretty nifty program. It scanned my mobo, updated all my drivers, and everything is in working order. The built in WiFi is subpar as it's capped at 467Mbps that said, for budget B550. It's pretty solid. The front of my case has 5 UBS ports. 1 USB-C, 2 USB 3.0, and 2 USB 2.0 and I was able to get them all connected.

CPU: Ryzen R5 5600

Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT /w 2x120mm Fans.

GPU: XFX Thicc 5700XT 8GB

RAM: 16GB T-Force Delta DDR 3200 CL16

SSD: Crucial P3 2TB PCIe Gen3 3500MB/s

Motherboard: MSI PRO B500M-VC WiFi

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Bronze

Now that I'm confident it's good to go. I'll consider selling it. I know a few Megashockers are looking to get SF6 on PC. This will handle it no problem.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Final update on my old/new PC.  Everything is in working order. The Wifi card wasn't showing up, but after doing some research, I downloaded MSI Center. It was a pretty nifty program. It scanned my mobo, updated all my drivers, and everything is in working order. The built in WiFi is subpar as it's capped at 467Mbps that said, for budget B550. It's pretty solid. The front of my case has 5 UBS ports. 1 USB-C, 2 USB 3.0, and USB 2.0 and I was able to get them all connected.

CPU: Ryzen R5 5600

Cooler: ID-COOLING SE-224-XT /w 2x120mm Fans.

GPU: XFX Thicc 5700XT 8GB

RAM: 16GB T-Force Delta DDR 3200 CL16

SSD: Crucial P3 2TB PCIe Gen3 3500MB/s

Motherboard: MSI PRO B500M-VC WiFi

Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BX1 750W Bronze

Now that I'm confident it's good to go. I'll consider selling it. I know a few Megashockers are looking to get SF6 on PC. This will hand that no problem.

Shipping is a huge bitch though.

Might have better success selling it locally on FB and getting paid in cash.  Selling it online can be iffy as there are a lot of scammers out there who will try to do Paypal chargebacks.

5 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Shipping is a huge bitch though.

Might have better success selling it locally on FB and getting paid in cash.  Selling it online can be iffy as there are a lot of scammers out there who will try to do Paypal chargebacks.

I didn't built it to sell it. So I'm in no hurry. Like my book, it was to see if I could do it. I actually kept the box that the SL600 case shipped in. Shipping it won't be as hard as if I chucked the box. I would need some decent packing material for the inside of the case though. I used to move a lot in my late 20s, so I got into the habit of keeping boxes for some large items. Makes it easy to pack when you move. I kept the box for my Phanteks case for the same reason. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I didn't built it to sell it. So I'm in no hurry. Like my book, it was to see if I could do it. I actually kept the box that the SL600 case shipped in. Shipping it won't be as hard as if I chucked the box. I would need some decent packing material for the inside of the case though. I used to move a lot in my late 20s, so I got into the habit of keeping boxes for some large items. Makes it easy to pack when you move. I kept the box for my Phanteks case for the same reason. 

The difficult thing about shipping a PC is making sure the parts don't get damaged in shipping. We know that UPS and FedEX won't handle the package with care so the shipper will need to compensate. You'll need sealed air packaging like this to ensure something like the GPU won't break off the PCiE slot during shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Instapak-Quick-Packing-Shipping-Solution/dp/B01BU5VXVS/ref=sr_1_26?crid=143U20HG1HU0J&keywords=sealed%2Bair%2Bpackaging&qid=1677106646&sprefix=sealed%2Bair%2Bpa%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-26&th=1

37 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The difficult thing about shipping a PC is making sure the parts don't get damaged in shipping. We know that UPS and FedEX won't handle the package with care so the shipper will need to compensate. You'll need sealed air packaging like this to ensure something like the GPU won't break off the PCiE slot during shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Instapak-Quick-Packing-Shipping-Solution/dp/B01BU5VXVS/ref=sr_1_26?crid=143U20HG1HU0J&keywords=sealed%2Bair%2Bpackaging&qid=1677106646&sprefix=sealed%2Bair%2Bpa%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-26&th=1

Ah that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks fam. 

Edit: Pays to be a pack rat. I opened the box and I had save the packing material that the PC originally shipped with 👍🏾

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I'm curious how the 7900X3D will turn out. It only has 6c/12t per CCD but the CCD with "3D" Cache is going to 16MB per core versus 12MB per core for the 7950X3D and 7800X3D. If anything reviews would be able to simulate the performance of a hypothetical 7600X3D.

Can't read the text, but can read the charts. It looks like the extra cache does help make up for the loss of two cores. It was curious to see if it would beat the 5800X3D. Seems it does.

https://tweakers.net/reviews/10924/3/amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d-ryzen-7-7800x3d-en-sneller-geheugen-alle-gamebenchmarks.html

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 2/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm curious how the 7900X3D will turn out. It only has 6c/12t per CCD but the CCD with "3D" Cache is going to 16MB per core versus 12MB per core for the 7950X3D and 7800X3D. If anything reviews would be able to simulate the performance of a hypothetical 7600X3D.

Can't read the text, but can read the charts. It looks like the extra cache does help make up for the loss of two cores. It was curious to see if it would beat the 5800X3D. Seems it does.

https://tweakers.net/reviews/10924/3/amd-ryzen-9-7900x3d-ryzen-7-7800x3d-en-sneller-geheugen-alle-gamebenchmarks.html

The new 3D chips will all outperform the 5800X3D for sure -- they'll probably be hideously expensive though. =/

On 2/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Sounds like 7900X3D isn't a good value. 

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Sounds like 7900X3D isn't a good value. 

Not surprised. AMD didn't send samples for a reason. It doesn't really have a function at it's current price point. If you want to game, you get the 7800X3D. If you need gaming and productivity performance, you get the 7950X3D. If the price was maybe $520 to $530 it could be  "budget" option for people that needed both things. I needs to be cheaper than the standard 7950X to be worth looking at IMO. The 7950X is around $600 now. The 7900X is going for $450. It needs to be price between those two SKUs.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not surprised. AMD didn't send samples for a reason. It doesn't really have a function at it's current price point. If you want to game, you get the 7800X3D. If you need gaming and productivity performance, you get the 7950X3D. If the price was maybe $520 to $530 it could be  "budget" option for people that needed both things. I needs to be cheaper than the standard 7950X to be worth looking at IMO. The 7950X is around $600 now. The 7900X is going for $450. It needs to be price between those two SKUs.

I'm patiently waiting on the 7800X3D. I have a 7700X on my system and if the 3D chip runs cooler with less power that would be enough for me to swap. I know my current CPU is designed to run hot but it still makes me uncomfortable seeing the temps border on terminal throttling when I have a good airflow case and AIO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching the reviews of the 7800X3D and I'm blown away by it's efficiency more than anything. Not only does it be the 13900K in gaming but it does so at a significantly lower power draw. Not that I'd recommend it, but you could put it on an A620 board without issue. If you purely after gaming performance, it's clearly the best option. The 7950X3D should have a very slight edge in performance but you can't count on Windows to schedule the correct CCD.

So I'm looking into upgrading my monitor for SF6 and thought I'd ask in here.  I've been using a flat screen TV with pretty low input lag (supposedly) for most of my gaming but now looking at monitors which I don't know much about.  There's like three different panel types (IPS, VA and TN), resolution, and refresh rate, freesync/gsync to think about plus size of monitor.  Seems quite confusing, thought it would be simple lol.  

Since I'm primarily using the monitor for fighting games, prioritizing frame rate/high hrz makes sense.  I also will occasionally be playing RPG's so it'd be nice for the picture to be halfway decent.  From what I've researched would 240 hrz/1080p at 24" be preferable for my needs? Or should I go with 144 hrz/1440p?  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  

22 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

So I'm looking into upgrading my monitor for SF6 and thought I'd ask in here.  I've been using a flat screen TV with pretty low input lag (supposedly) for most of my gaming but now looking at monitors which I don't know much about.  There's like three different panel types (IPS, VA and TN), resolution, and refresh rate, freesync/gsync to think about plus size of monitor.  Seems quite confusing, thought it would be simple lol.  

Since I'm primarily using the monitor for fighting games, prioritizing frame rate/high hrz makes sense.  I also will occasionally be playing RPG's so it'd be nice for the picture to be halfway decent.  From what I've researched would 240 hrz/1080p at 24" be preferable for my needs? Or should I go with 144 hrz/1440p?  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  

Not really an expert on the matter but whenever I buy a TV or monitor, I go to RTINGS.com. They have go into great detail and rate displays in great detail.  Here is a link to one of their monitor articles.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not really an expert on the matter but whenever I buy a TV or monitor, I go to RTINGS.com. They have go into great detail and rate displays in great detail.  Here is a link to one of their monitor articles.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

Thanks! I'll definitely check this out. This a nice resource as there seems to be a ton of options out there.

On 4/9/2023 at 6:21 PM, HeavensCloud said:

Unless you play other competitive games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Valorant and Rainbow Six Siege you won't need 240hrz. 144hrz will be fine. From personal experience I would recommend an IPS panel. The only reason to go TN is if you want something cheap and/or want an higher refresh rate than 240. If you want more depth about the panel types this buyers guide should help. Monitor Hunter's Fact Sheet. - Google Docs

I think this monitor would be great for Street Fighter and whatever game you want to throw at it.

GIGABYTE M27Q 27" LED QHD FreeSync Premium IPS Gaming Monitor with HDR (HDMI, DisplayPort, USB) Black M27Q-SA - Best Buy

42 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Unless you play other competitive games like CS:GO, Overwatch, Valorant and Rainbow Six Siege you won't need 240hrz. 144hrz will be fine. From personal experience I would recommend an IPS panel. The only reason to go TN is if you want something cheap and/or want an higher refresh rate than 240. If you want more depth about the panel types this buyers guide should help. Monitor Hunter's Fact Sheet. - Google Docs

I think this monitor would be great for Street Fighter and whatever game you want to throw at it.

GIGABYTE M27Q 27" LED QHD FreeSync Premium IPS Gaming Monitor with HDR (HDMI, DisplayPort, USB) Black M27Q-SA - Best Buy

I ended up getting this monitor https://www.asus.com/ca-en/displays-desktops/monitors/tuf-gaming/tuf-gaming-vg259qm/.  It's a 25 inch IPS panel at 1080p/240hz. My desk is quite small so I went with the smaller screen.  240hz might be overkill, but it certainly can't hurt.  There were a lot of good reviews on this monitor so I'm hoping it works out.  

I'm hoping to use this for the next few years until OLED technology becomes cheaper.  It looks honestly amazing, but I'm not spending over 1K on a monitor.  

On 3/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, YourFavGrandpa said:

Will hopefully be ordering a new GPU next week. Bad news is that directly through Amazon, they can't keep in-house stock of 7900 XTX cards they sell so fast; so I may end up with a 4080 or even a 4090 due to demand issues with the 7900 XTX. I am going to pay out over time and deduct the cost of it from my taxes for next year.

An update on this, 

I ended up getting the Sapphire Nitro+ 7900 XTX, this thing is an absolute monster! Granted I have a 75hz refresh rate on my 4K Ultrawide, but I'm looking at actually moving down to 2560x1440 and getting something like a 240hz display at that resolution. I have had zero complaints with it so far (and hopefully I can get the new monitor purchased before Quakecon).

On 4/13/2023 at 7:53 PM, Hawkingbird said:

TN also has the lowest input latency out of all the different panel technologies.

I've been using a 4K TN panel for the past 6 years.  I still game at 60hz.  🙂

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

The price of the RoG ally, a steam deck competitor had it's price leaked.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gaming/pc-gaming/asus-rog-ally-price-leaks-can-it-beat-steam-deck-on-performance-value

It will be $700. If the performance is good I will get one.

I'm considering it too. On paper, both the low end and  the high end are more powerful than a Steam Deck. TFLOPs aren't everything but since both the Steam Deck and Ally are AMD powered it may actually add up to significant different.

Steam: 1.6 TFLOPS (Zen 2 GPU/RDNA2 GPU)

Ally Z1: 2.8 TFLOPS (Zen 4 GPU/RDNA4 GPU)

Ally Z1 Extreme: 8.6 TFLOPS (Zen 4 GPU/RDNA3 GPU)

The Ally is one GPU generation and two CPU generations ahead of the Steam Deck.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:34 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm considering it too. On paper, both the low end and  the high end are more powerful than a Steam Deck. TFLOPs aren't everything but since both the Steam Deck and Ally are AMD powered it may actually add up to significant different.

Steam: 1.6 TFLOPS (Zen 2 GPU/RDNA2 GPU)

Ally Z1: 2.8 TFLOPS (Zen 4 GPU/RDNA4 GPU)

Ally Z1 Extreme: 8.6 TFLOPS (Zen 4 GPU/RDNA3 GPU)

The Ally is one GPU generation and two CPU generations ahead of the Steam Deck.

I hope Asus can get the software right. Windows have never been great on these handheld PCs. 

6 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I hope Asus can get the software right. Windows have never been great on these handheld PCs. 

The Windows situation is a plus and a minus. On the one hand, you won't have the compatibility issues of the Steam Deck. On the downside, you won't get developers optimizing games to run on the Ally.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Windows situation is a plus and a minus. On the one hand, you won't have the compatibility issues of the Steam Deck. On the downside, you won't get developers optimizing games to run on the Ally.

I've mostly used my Steam deck to play indie games and emulation. That's the appeal of these machines for me. If the AAAs can run fine on it then it's a bonus.

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The absurdity continues. These cards are a fucking joke.

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-announces-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-at-399-rtx-4060-to-launch-in-july

@HawkingbirdGiven my current situation, I'm going to skip the Ally. I don't want to buy something I may be unable to use. Hell. I'm not buying anymore games right now either. 

I remember when 60 class card were the people's champ. Who the fuck is going to buy these at these prices?

That sucks to hear. Did you find out what's wrong with your wrist? Given the recent bullshit with Asus as me second guessing getting an ally.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I remember when 60 class card were the people's champ. Who the fuck is going to buy these at these prices?

That sucks to hear. Did you find out what's wrong with your wrist? Given the recent bullshit with Asus as me second guessing getting an ally.

My wrist/hand doesn't have inflammation, it's excess bone. The excess bone is why I've lost range of motion. It's really bad on the back side of my hand so it explains why I haven't been able to bend my had back for the past 5 years. The excess bone on the under side of my wrist is pressing on my nerve, so I'm getting increasing numbness in my left hand. Mostly my fingertips. Started with my thumb, now it's spread to every finger but my pinky. That wouldn't be so bad, but now the palm side of my middle and ring fingers are numb too. Plus as of today, I can't quite make a complete fist. But it could be worse, I still have my hand, so things can get better. So I'm seriously wondering if I'll be able to play SF6 when it drops. The rate my hand is going I'm sort of doubtful. I know I'm going to need surgery but I doubt that'll happen before July.

58 minutes ago, misterBee said:

4060s will sell like hotcakes because drones refuse to buy anything but Nvidia.

Hope everything is ok @Darc_Requiem 😔

That doesn't seem to be the case with this generation of cards. 4080s and 4070s have been collecting dust since they've launched. The high prices of cards have been turning some people off og GPUs altogether. Intel is looking more like the hero which time Nvidia announces a new card. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

That doesn't seem to be the case with this generation of cards. 4080s and 4070s have been collecting dust since they've launched. The high prices of cards have been turning some people off og GPUs altogether. Intel is looking more like the hero which time Nvidia announces a new card. 

These low end cards seem utterly point less. You can get RX 6800 for the price of a 4060Ti 8GB and an RX 6800XT for the price of the 16GB model. As for AMD, if the RX 7600 launches for anything more than $250, it's a waste of time. To your point the ARC A770 is looking better by the day. 16GB for $330 to $350 bucks.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

These low end cards seem utterly point less. You can get RX 6800 for the price of a 4060Ti 8GB and an RX 6800XT for the price of the 16GB model. As for AMD, if the RX 7600 launches for anything more than $250, it's a waste of time. To your point the ARC A770 is looking better by the day. 16GB for $330 to $350 bucks.

I bought a RX 6750 XT last month to put into my nephew's PC for the price of a Arc  A770. It has 12GB of VRAM rather than 16 but it should last him a good while. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

I bought a RX 6750 XT last month to put into my nephew's PC for the price of a Arc  A770. It has 12GB of VRAM rather than 16 but it should last him a good while. 

Yeah the more stable driver situation. The A770 hardware seems solid and it has better Ray Tracing performance that Radeon but the drivers still have a ways to go. As I mentioned previously, Ray Tracing is a moot point to me at the low end. There isn't enough performance head room to justify the hit and upscaling technology, even DLSS, is poor below 1440p. So you can't use that to compensate. DLSS3 isn't worth turning on, objectively, unless you get at least 60fps without it. Otherwise you have game that looks smooth but has terrible input delay. 

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah the more stable driver situation. The A770 hardware seems solid and it has better Ray Tracing performance that Radeon but the drivers still have a ways to go. As I mentioned previously, Ray Tracing is a moot point to me at the low end. There isn't enough performance head room to justify the hit and upscaling technology, even DLSS, is poor below 1440p. So you can't use that to compensate. DLSS3 isn't worth turning on, objectively, unless you get at least 60fps without it. Otherwise you have game that looks smooth but has terrible input delay. 

I don't have to worry about ray tracing performance as the kid is 12. He won't have any idea about any of that. Minecraft is the only game he has that has support for it. 

As much as Intel improved its driver I still don't have any faith in it. I'm not trying to go through all the bullshit Steve from gamer nexus had to go through. For a kid's system I will go with what I know works. I've been technical support for him before and I'm not putting myself in that position again. 

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

These guys must have been playing the Ether beat when they made these reviews. 4060 ti is an awful card with awful value. The card chokes on resolutions above 1080.

Dammit man, now I'm hearing Ether in an Aussie accent in my head 😂

Edit: I watched the HUB review and part of the GN review on my lunch break. This is maybe the worst card I've ever seen launched. Depending on it's pricing the 7600 may supplant it. The 4060Ti has the worst "generation uplift" I've ever seen. The card is really a 4050.

Side note: The RX 7600 looks to have really been 7600XT but AMD clearly changed the name because they embarrassed at the uplift over the 6600XT. Nvidia was like Crazy K in Tales from the Hood, they didn't give a fuck.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

AMD announced the 7600 price. $269.99, given the current 6700 and 6700XT pricing. That's not low enough. I said the card needed to be $250 max. Once again Nvidia makes them look better by comparison though. The 6600 launched at $330. So at least it's cheaper than the launch MSRP of it's predecessor. But with the 6700 currently going for $280 with 10GB of RAM the 6700XT going or $330 with 12GB. $270 for 8GB is going to be a hard sell. 

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-radeon-rx-7600-to-launch-with-269-e299-msrp