Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

So I felt that the PC gaming thread should be here in Tech Talk instead of GD as its more than just "vidya gamz" despite there being Gaming in the title.

What we got look forwards to:

Nvidia RTX 3000 series is out
New AMD 5000 series Zen 3 Architecture This Month October 15   Next moth November 5, 2020.

AMD/Radeon RX 6000 series/ Big Navi, AMD will be holding a launch event for RDNA 2/Big Navi on October 28

Cyberpunk 2077 coming, get yours from GOG.com and directly support the studio (and its DRM free). 

Edited by DarkSakul

Hell if Big Navi has a card that can place in-between the 3070 and 3080 at a competitive price I think I know what I am getting (AMD/Radeon). 
So far the speculation is that The standard flagship Big Navi card will get to about 5% margin of difference to the 3080.
All AMD has to do is avoid the failures Nvidia has for for on the 3000 series as Nvidia tried to rush to compete their graphics card with the PS5 and the Series S/X. 

Hell speculators think AMD got a card that can compete with the 3090, but I wait for the 3rd party test results to draw that conclusion. 

@Hawkingbird the  Logitech G915 looks like a sexy beast, I hope you get it at a good price. 

Edited by DarkSakul
4 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Hell if Big Navi has a card that can place in-between the 3070 and 3080 at a competitive price I think I know what I am getting (AMD/Radeon). 
So far the speculation is that The standard flagship Big Navi card will get to about 5% margin of difference to the 3080.
All AMD has to do is avoid the failures Nvidia has for for on the 3000 series as Nvidia tried to rush to compete their graphics card with the PS5 and the Series S/X. 

Hell speculators think AMD got a card that can compete with the 3090, but I wait for the 3rd party test results to draw that conclusion. 

@Hawkingbird the  Logitech G915 looks like a sexy beast, I hope you get it at a good price. 

From the rumors I saw, the 6900 XT is going to be priced $100 less than the 3080. If it can hit the 5% margin compared to the 3080 then it will definitely be my card of choice. It's crazy to think that an full AMD machine will be viable on the top tier level. 

My RTX 2070 super should be here tomorrow.  After the mess with the 3080 I figured i might as well get what's tried and true rather than attempt to get a first run 3070 that may have some early problems.  That should future proof me entering the PS5 era and hopefully be enough for RPCS3 when the supposedly netplay is done.  If that netplay is worthy then I might move SFxT events to that.  

8 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'm waiting for Big Navi also.

My GTX 1080 is looking for an upgrade but I can wait a bit longer.  The itch to buy a new mobo/CPU/more RAM is a bit more tempting though...

I'm running a 1080.  I recently upgraded to a R5 3600 from an old i5 4960, that has made a difference.  Mind you, so did the M.2 NVME hhd as well.

14 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Logitech has failed me. There are no sales for the G915. There is a sale for the G502 lightspeed but it's only $30 off. I might have to use my Amazon credit to drop the price.

I have had a G502 Hero for the better part of the last year or so, but recently I've been having issues with it inside of client systems during live calls; which is absolutely no bueno. I'm probably placing a order today for a Glorious Model O or O- and yeeting this G502 straight into the garbage. 

48 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I have had a G502 Hero for the better part of the last year or so, but recently I've been having issues with it inside of client systems during live calls; which is absolutely no bueno. I'm probably placing a order today for a Glorious Model O or O- and yeeting this G502 straight into the garbage. 

G502 Hero is my current mouse. I want to go wireless with my setup. It's terrible that Logitech is charging an extra $100 for the privilege. The mouse should $100 max.

56 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Placed the order about 30 minutes ago for a Glorious Model D in Matte Black. Expecting it next week sometime, since I opted for the cheapest shipping available.

2 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I had a G502 for a while and it worked pretty well for me.  Ended up giving it to a friend who is using it without issues.  Sucks you had such a shitty experience.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

G502 Hero is my current mouse. I want to go wireless with my setup. It's terrible that Logitech is charging an extra $100 for the privilege. The mouse should $100 max.

I'm wireless also -- but I need those AA batteries.  Lithium-ion batteries that degrade over a time are a big no-no for me.

Currently using Logitech G604.  Had a G603 before that and I LOVED IT but the scroll wheel started to act weird.  Common issue with G403/G603/G703 models. =/

Upgraded to a Ryzen 5 3600 today from a 1600. Now I'm finally starting to get the performance I wanted. This combined with a RX 580 has been slamming everything at max settings. Even stuff like Avengers and Hunt: Showdown. I really wanna see Arkham Knight on this thing. 

I also got an additional fan and 2 more terabytes of HDD, but apparently there's not a single fucking store in my city that's selling SATA power cables so I gotta wait a day or two to even use it while Amazon brings me the goods.

I think this build will keep me very happy for a good and long time until I decide to get a 3080 or whatever AMD is cooking up. 👍

10 hours ago, misterBee said:

I had a G502 for a while and it worked pretty well for me.  Ended up giving it to a friend who is using it without issues.  Sucks you had such a shitty experience.

The company I use for my contract work requires a secure desktop environment for some of their clients. In Windows, by default I use 800dpi for desktop use and other general stuff; along with most games. The aforementioned environment is Linux based and does not give a FUCK about dpi settings. Was actually doing client work this past weekend, and I got a QA score back of very close to zero because of these issues. Also in said environment, I do not have access to change DPI settings; or do anything in terminal. If I was able to open a terminal window and use a sudo prompt, I would have changed out about half the software installed as a security precaution.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah
25 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

The company I use for my contract work requires a secure desktop environment for some of their clients. In Windows, by default I use 800dpi for desktop use and other general stuff; along with most games. The aforementioned environment is Linux based and does not give a FUCK about dpi settings. Was actually doing client work this past weekend, and I got a QA score back of very close to zero because of these issues. Also in said environment, I do not have access to change DPI settings; or do anything in terminal. If I was able to open a terminal window and use a sudo prompt, I would have changed out about half the software installed as a security precaution.

Did you save your DPI profile on the mouse and use it in hardware mode?

I can't see how Linux could ignore your DPI setting if your mouse was reporting it through hardware.  Linux shouldn't be able to tell the mouse to use any other setting if the mouse is telling it that it can only do 800dpi.

Then again I don't remote into Linux very often. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm sure I saved it to the mouse. I'll look at it again tomorrow after coming back from the doc, but more than likely the Model D order is going through; with me relegating the G502 to laptop duty.

Make sure the mouse is set to run off the hardware profile too.  By default it uses G Hub software unless you tell it to specifically run off of mouse onboard memory only.

15 hours ago, misterBee said:

Make sure the mouse is set to run off the hardware profile too.  By default it uses G Hub software unless you tell it to specifically run off of mouse onboard memory only.

You were right! It was defaulting to G Hub, so I enabled the hardware profile and copied my desktop profile over. I have some client work in a couple of hours, I'll let you know what happens in that regard. 

2 hours ago, M A R T I A N said:

What CPU do you use? 

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157736?Item=N82E16813157736&cm_mmc=snc-facebook-_-sr-_-orc-_-na&fbclid=IwAR2lj_snDczv6gZ7Y7S2bjuY3Od3StH6fP1rs1emK2HGCQKiEx8SKxgOanw  this is the motherboard I have, it only goes up to 7th gen so the 7700K is the best it's ever going to take.  I think it should be more than enough for what I need to do, which is stream my tournaments if I'm not working with Arturo.  

So i just realize this thing with 4th gen m.2 SSDs talking directly to teh graphics card you need the following

1. Compatible Graphics card (Nvidia RTX 3000 or Radeon RX 6000 a.k.a. "big Navi" )
  2. A 4th gen NVMw M.2 SSD
  3. A compatible motherboard (which is rolling out with the bios updates on AMD B550 and X570X chipsets and 470, B450, B450 II chipsets in January 2021).

No word of support on any Intel boards. Then again Intel changes up sockets with every chip gen for no reason. 

10 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

So i just realize this thing with 4th gen m.2 SSDs talking directly to teh graphics card you need the following

1. Compatible Graphics card (Nvidia RTX 3000 or Radeon RX 6000 a.k.a. "big Navi" )
  2. A 4th gen NVMw M.2 SSD
  3. A compatible motherboard (which is rolling out with the bios updates on AMD B550 and X570X chipsets and 470, B450, B450 II chipsets in January 2021).

No word of support on any Intel boards. Then again Intel changes up sockets with every chip gen for no reason. 

Intel doesn't have any PCIE 4.0 support. Only AMD does and only on its B550 and X570 motherboards. There were rumors that board partners would try to enable it on X470 boards but that never came to pass.

Oh yeah I did goof that one up, I checked with Tom's Hardware.  Out of all the X470 Mobos, only the ROG Strix X470-F Gaming, and the Prime X470-Pro are able run a PCIe 4.0 graphics card at x8 speed and PCIe 4 gen SSD at x4 speed.  Then you probably need a bios update which not be available till next year anyways (assuming it would happen).
And even then there no idea if it supports that direct SSD to GPU.

Good thing I got a X570 recently. 

12 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Intel doesn't have any PCIE 4.0 support.

I though so. Intel got lazy and didn't do much in the last decade or so and actually actively held back PC development. Now AMD caught up and got intel on the ropes, and I hope this time Intel don't just jump back up like they did in the past. We need competition in the PC CPU space, not Intel being the leader (as they shown they get lax). 
At least Nvidia decided when Radeon isn't up to stuff, that they would compete with them selves, the downside he we got shitty RTX 2000 series cards at a terrible price points.
They [Intel] insist to Microsoft that they need to support (the terrible) Intel Integrated graphics and hamstring what Win Vista and Win 7 could do as they have to support a inferior and lousy on board graphics no one ever asked for. Win 10 have downgraded the graphical effects of the OS to try to have a wider install base and run on Arm processors (which MS abandoned now).
The Intel on board graphics set was even sub par for office work, even their later HD stuff was a joke. It's so bad that Intel considered to outsource the Integrated graphics to AMD (that apparently didn't happen or it stayed low-key), they since look like they would not give up the ghost on the graphics front, as they are supposedly working on that Intel Xe graphics, no word if we see Xe graphic cards or is that vaporware. 

Well yeah Intel felt superior and didn't have to do shit and dragged their feet. Thinking single core performance is going to carry them.
Yet, AMD has just increase their instructions per clock by 19%, only thing AMD haven't beat Intel in is that 5Ghz barrier, and I am certain now it's not necessary. 

4 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

So, everything worked out fine with the G502. But I am still having issues with it in Windows, specifically the double clicking and dragging are getting to be a nuisance with it. Once the Model D gets here, I'm gonna take the G502 apart and clean it; then it'll be relegated to laptop duty with no G Hub software installed.

I had those exact same problems with the last logitech mouse at had. This is eerie.