Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

27 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@HawkingbirdIt was actually @misterBeethat said it. I just cosigned. It really is looking a like a bulldozer situation. Gen 11 is Bulldozer and Gen 10 is Phenom. Is the Gen 11 consistently better at anything in comparison to the Gen 10? Since the flagship is only 8 cores, even with IPC gains, it doesn't seem to offset the loss of 2 cores.

It's better at being a heater then gen 10. The amount of heat and power consumption it produces is insane. It seems at it's best Gen 11 hopes to match a Ryzen 5600 in gaming and that's a shame. It does a little better in production but Gen 10 still outperforms it.  

39 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's better at being a heater then gen 10. The amount of heat and power consumption it produces is insane. It seems at it's best Gen 11 hopes to match a Ryzen 5600 in gaming and that's a shame. It does a little better in production but Gen 10 still outperforms it.  

Just watched the HUB review on my lunch break. His conclusion was to buy the 10600K. It's basically the same performance, when overclocked, for less money than the 11600K.

Ended up getting the 10900.

Using a cobbled-together cooling solution (Cryorig C1 + NZXT 120mm fan), so I can't use the processor to its full potential.  However even with a healthy undervolt and some tweaked power limits it still almost doubles the performance of my old 1700 in Cinebench.

Stock z490 mobo settings were stupid.  Out of the box the board basically removes power limits and forces turbo clocks on all cores.  CPU hit over 100°C after 10 seconds in Cinebench.  Completely ignoring stock CPU settings like that out of the box seems irresponsible and dangerous, especially if the person who bought the board doesn't know what they're doing.

Now that I've turned off  that dumb stuff in the mobo settings things are much cooler and more reasonable.

On 4/4/2021 at 5:18 PM, DarkSakul said:

If you ask me, Intel been fucking it up.for a long while. They are in just the beings 9f paying for it dearly. 

What's worse is that one of my long-time friends is none other than Kyle Bennett (formerly ran HardOCP, now is at Intel). He's part of all this shit for the current Intel processors, and I just wanna reach all the way back and slap the shit outta him.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jarrod's Tech has a good video on the ASUS G15 laptop with a 6800M laptop GPU. Well actually it's an all AMD model. He also discovered that the laptops performance is gimped by substandard memory. Basically, if anyone buys this laptop add about $100 to the price for the RAM you'll need to buy to get 100% performance. Asus claims the substandard memory is a result of supply constraints 🙄

So with emulation finally in a really good space, I'm thinking about buying a high-end laptop. Currently I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a 1050Ti, 256 SSD and i5 8th processor. What are the best RTX laptops on the market especially when it comes to battery power and portability?  Also, what would be the best place to sell/trade in my Acer Nitro 5?  I have to imagine it would pay off at least 3-4 months of my new laptop, currently looking at paying whatever I get off via monthly payments.  

2 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

So with emulation finally in a really good space, I'm thinking about buying a high-end laptop. Currently I have an Acer Nitro 5 with a 1050Ti, 256 SSD and i5 8th processor. What are the best RTX laptops on the market especially when it comes to battery power and portability?  Also, what would be the best place to sell/trade in my Acer Nitro 5?  I have to imagine it would pay off at least 3-4 months of my new laptop, currently looking at paying whatever I get off via monthly payments.  

I'm not super up on the laptop scene, that said. Jarrod's Tech is the best laptop review site on Youtube IMO. He'd be a good place to start your research.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2Rzju32yQPkQ7oIhmeuLwg

I love it as China starts to crack down on Crypto Mining harder than before, GPU prices started to drop. 

The Chinese state now investigating any odd or irregularly high power draw, and if its used for crypto mining farm, they arrest everybody and confiscate all the equipment. 

https://www.reuters.com/technology/cryptocurrencies-tumble-amid-china-crackdown-bitcoin-miners-2021-06-21/

Now only if the rest of the world also cracks down on Crypto mining 

• 3 weeks later...

This is the experience of a filthy casual buying a Dell.

Pretentious tone adds to the hilarity. Dell put this man through a existential crisis for 6 months and only got out because they sent a ninja to make the problem go away. 

Don't be in his situation. Friends don't let friends buy Dell.

34 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

the post by J2C regarding the types of GPUs that are dying to New World has me pretty much hard passing on the game. I don't need my 3070 dying because Amazon can't code a game properly, the fuck

Now it all makes sense. Its an Amazon game. 

Step 1: Release a game that bricks graphics cards

Step 2: Sell gamers new over priced graphics cards as replacements

Step 3: Profit

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2021 at 10:21 AM, YourFavGrandpa said:

the post by J2C regarding the types of GPUs that are dying to New World has me pretty much hard passing on the game. I don't need my 3070 dying because Amazon can't code a game properly, the fuck

A bit late, but it's more an issue of certain AIB manufacturers not setting up their own cards properly.  By now there have been plenty of videos showing that some partner cards do not set appropriate limits on their hardware, which causes the cards to kill themselves under certain circumstances.

Software cannot usually drive a card to death.  If anything New World is simply exposing how manufacturers are putting out flawed products.  If New World did not cause them to die then some other game eventually would.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, misterBee said:

A bit late, but it's more an issue of certain AIB manufacturers not setting up their own cards properly.  By now there have been plenty of videos showing that some partner cards do not set appropriate limits on their hardware, which causes the cards to kill themselves under certain circumstances.

Software cannot usually drive a card to death.  If anything New World is simply exposing how manufacturers are putting out flawed products.  If New World did not cause them to die then some other game eventually would.

Bringing this post back up for clarification, and the excuse to post another J2C video: 

As usual, @misterBee is correct regarding the software side of things. The tl;dr of the current video is that most of the vendors who sell GPUs (think EVGA, MSI, Zotac et al) have been lazily putting these GPUs together and missing solder spots here and there. New World, as it so happens; is exposing shoddy workmanship and by that process, is killing GPUs that cost more than my whole PC.

Ended up having an issue with my EKWB AIO, turns out the pump died; causing idling on the desktop at 95C. Ended up buying a Noctua NH-D15 off of Newegg, with delivery details TBD to replace it. Guessing end of the week on Friday, with me taking most of the morning on Saturday to put it together and remove (and subsequently yeet) the dead AIO. Haven't decided what I will do with the two RGB fans that came with it, probably will swap in my Coolermaster 240 RGB fan setup until I have enough money to move everything over to Noctua.

• 3 weeks later...

AMD is supposedly releasing a low end GPU the 6500XT at a "reasonable" price. I'll believe it when I see it. It only has 16CUs at 120W. For reference the 6600XT has 32CUs at 130W. So they should be able to get twice as many dies per wafer but in this market, I can't imagine the price being what it should be. This sounds like a card that would have been $150 in normal times. The "MSRP" will probably be $229 or something.

Side Note: Given it has half the CUs of the 6600XT but similar power usage. They'd clock speed would have to be well over 2.5Ghz. RDNA2 is more than capable of that  but I'm skeptical to say the least.