Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

I found out that the current Radeon software made it you can only set the Reset Shader Cache to ether off or "Optimized"
I found the only way to set it to ON was go into regedit and edit the seeing in the registry.

You have to go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\UMD]

And you have to find "ShaderCache" Hex and change the value to 32,00

The Valves are
30,00 for off

31,00 for optimized
and 

32,00 for on 

I even made for my self some .reg files to stream line that process. 
I edit the files in Notepad ++, as unlike regular note pad will highlight syntax for you

Edited by DarkSakul
REDEDIT, use Notepad ++ for editing .reg files
  • 3 weeks later...

I've sat down at my computer for two consecutive evenings to try to knock out the Beyond Light campaign. Almost at the very end of that, then I can get rid of Destiny 2 on my PC  (or maybe not, since the missus has been off work due to the holiday; the evenings have been non-eventful as far as getting on the PS5 goes). I've thought about taking on the Cold War campaign after I get back from my trip this weekend.

Eventually, I'll get a updated GPU.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Newegg starting raffling the chance to purchase the new GPUs and CPUs. I know they need to combat bots somehow but fucking really? 

I'm planning on doing a system overhaul in Q3 and retiring my RTX 2070 non-super. I've been focused on other things because it's nigh on impossible right now to pick up either a 3k series card or the new AMD 6k series cards. Once those become more readily available, I'll probably come back to gaming on PC; with some stuff put in where I'm not sitting 14-16 hours straight a day in my office.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've had some adventures with my RTX 3070. First thing is that I may see a power supply upgrade coming in the foreseeable future, looking at maybe jumping up to a either a 750W or a 850W. I currently have a 650W EVGA Supernova, and it's barely enough to drive this card.

I mean just barely is enough.

Touching on Games now, I saw where Metro Exodus is getting a update similar to Control's Ultimate Edition. This new version of the game will require a card that supports Ray Tracing (GTX 10 series supports it, but it's garbo). So, probably 20 series as a minimum and a 30 series will be the recommended, more than likely with a 3080 for best visuals and FPS. Also is free for people who bought the game, whether on EGS or on Steam.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I was watching that during the weekly news video that Gamers Nexus does. That was messed up that they basically went on vacation when this all went down.

We are always busting Steve at HUB's chops for not taking time off. He finally does and this shit happens. I guess someone at Youtube was jealous of Tim's "Old West Outlaw" moustache.

18 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

from what my clanmate told me, I could clear a grand or more if I sold my 1080 and my RTX 2070 on the used market.

17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Video card prices are ludicrous right now.

The great silicon shortage continues...

Only new AMD CPU I can get right now is a 5600x or 5800x.  Graphics cards basically don't exist.  Hope this shit ends soon.  My other rig is running on integrated graphics at the moment, and if things continue maybe I'll just move it into a smaller case that doesn't even allow for a GPU.  I've been playing games on my TV lately by running a fiber optic HDMI cable from my main rig.

In other news I'm thinking of starting up a Valheim server...game looks like a lot of fun!

5 hours ago, misterBee said:

The great silicon shortage continues...

This is in every industry that uses semiconductors, my dude. Cars, phones, processors, GPUs, you name it.

Either one of two things is about to happen, either: 

a.) Anything computer and semiconductor-related goes sky-high af in price.
b.) A major Process/Technology breakthrough hits, and we see prices drop a smidge.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
boob
25 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@misterBee Yeah that's actually a good comparison. The only thing saving Intel is that AMD can't make enough product to meet demand.

5600X and 5800X have been readily available for months in a lot of places.  I think only AMD's super high end CPUs are hard to find atm.

My local Microcenter has tons of 5600X and 5800X in stock.

I think most people looking for a mainstream AMD CPU should be able to get their hands on one pretty easily.

Wife's PC is up and running with the B550 board I bought her and her old Ryzen 5 3600. I am gonna have to wait until I get some more revenue though from the new contract in order to get her a Win10 Key.

My PC is running pretty damn good with this 5600X in here. I do plan on spending next Sunday working on a overclock for it, since I'm working 6 days a week until the end of Q1 to bank money for our trip next year. 

39 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Wife's PC is up and running with the B550 board I bought her and her old Ryzen 5 3600. I am gonna have to wait until I get some more revenue though from the new contract in order to get her a Win10 Key.

My PC is running pretty damn good with this 5600X in here. I do plan on spending next Sunday working on a overclock for it, since I'm working 6 days a week until the end of Q1 to bank money for our trip next year. 

Aren't Win 10 keys pretty cheap? I haven't had to buy one in ages. Last time was probably like 3 years ago but don't remember spending more than $20. Just checked, yeah, unfortunately they don't see Windows Keys any more just PC games. Sorry man.

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Aren't Win 10 keys pretty cheap?

They used to be. The last couple of ones I've bought have been less than $10 each, but it looks like Kinguin and a couple of other spots along with eBay have spiked the prices a bit for Windows 10 keys. Microsoft seems to have banhammered a lot of the go-to people and sites I know for keys.

1 minute ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

They used to be. The last couple of ones I've bought have been less than $10 each, but it looks like Kinguin and a couple of other spots along with eBay have spiked the prices a bit for Windows 10 keys. Microsoft seems to have banhammered a lot of the go-to people and sites I know for keys.

Hey I did some quick digging for you. Not sure about KeysOff, I've never used them but they seem to have cheap Win 10 keys. Win 10 Pro for $15

https://www.keysoff.com/windows-10-professional-32-64-bit-html.html

More than 50% increase nice. I don't know when I'll ever upgrade from my 5700XT. It's crazy that I paid $390 for 5700XT in November 2019 and I see people selling them for over $1000 right now. That said I had to laugh my ass off when started looking at 3060 reviews. Card struggles to beat a 5700 in most games. Card doesn't even have 2070 Super or 5700XT performance. 

10 hours ago, Emptyeyes said:

I've only spent time on GGPO, FightCade, and NullDC Bear in the past, but was always uncomfortable using the applications. Since I miss old school, I might revisit them.  I think if I do and decide to buy an upgraded PC, I will probably neglect buying any more consoles. 

Well, to be honest with you, be wary about any PC upgrades and the like right now. There is a silicon shortage and prices, particularly for GPUs, are highly inflated.

Hardware Unboxed does a deep dive on why Geforce cards perform worse in CPU limited situations. Biggest takeaway is that Nvidia removed their hardware scheduler post Fermi when games weren't taking advantage of multiple cores/threads. Now that they are, it's made them less efficient, where as previously it gave them an advantage over AMD.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

These guys are going to end up on Nvidia's shit list again ain't they?

It's a possibility although I doubt it due the bad attention Nvidia drew last time. It won't be the first or last company they piss off. A few AIBs have gotten salty at them from calling out their nonsense. MSI and Asus IIRC. They call people on their bullshit which is why they are respected but it does come with a down side. 

Thank you for the info, you all. I guess that leaves a new PC then. I like NullDC Bear and planning on going back this application. My current PC barely exceeds the process of running this application.

Anyway, I've came back here, because my mentor convinced me to concentrate on the little things in life before building myself up on the harder things in life. 

Edited by Emptyeyes

i9-10900KF / i9-10850k can be had for $320 at Microcenter.

Seriously considering upgrading my rig with one of those, since they're such a steal at that price.  My R7 1700 is aging fast and 5800X seems very pricey for a mere 8 cores.  I'd have to buy  a new mobo anyway to run a 5-series Ryzen, and Intel seems to have more ITX mobo options too.

Anyone have experience with these chips? I know they run hot but I'll probably undervolt/lower power limit.