Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

Picked up some new(er) upgrades so I can give my wife her PC parts back. What's really gonna suck is going from this R5 3600 back down to my R7 2700X until I can snag either a Ryzen 3k series or one of the new 5k CPUs. 

Picked up the following:
Coolermaster H500 series ARGB
EK 240mm AIO w/ARGB Vardar Fans (wew, this looked really nice on Amazon)

Also have picked up Dual 32" Monitors w/VA panels. Was able to try out nVidia Surround with a resolution of 3840x1080 ... at 165hz! To quote The Wire .... SHEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIITTTTTT

edit 11/25: Was not able to get my original motherboard like I had planned. Amazon refunded my money this morning on it.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah
3 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Picked up some new(er) upgrades so I can give my wife her PC parts back. What's really gonna suck is going from this R5 3600 back down to my R7 2700X until I can snag either a Ryzen 3k series or one of the new 5k CPUs. 

Don't bother with a 3000 series.  Go straight for 5000 baby!!!

I don't want to hear complaints about using a 2700X.  I'm still rocking a 1700!

6800XT reviews have dropped. GPU is a 1440p monster and solid at 4k. Edit: Based on what I've seen so far. 1440p or below the RX 6800XT wins. 4K and Raytracing the 3080 wins. High refresh gamers should go with an all AMD build....damn that feels weird to say. The RX 6800XT beats the 3090 is some games at 1080p. AMD needs to roll out its DLSS competitor if they want to get anywhere near Ampere in Raytracing performance. At least its better than Turing at Raytracing.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I installed a 4th Gen m.2 1TB SSD into my PC

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZY2F2/

This is what I had ordered, and the cloning app Samsung provides from there site is okay for being a free App but it only used to move the contents of the drive over. But its just to migrate your drive to a new drive. There better free disk drive utilities, but it does what it does and does it well.  

As I have a empty 2nd m.2 slot I keeping the 1TB as a boot drive, and I get another drive later for games. 

Edited by DarkSakul
5 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

I installed a 4th Gen m.2 1TB SSD into my PC

https://amazon.com/gp/product/B07MFZY2F2/

This is what I had ordered, and the cloning app Samsung provides from there site is okay for being a free App but it only used to move the contents of the drive over. But its just to migrate your drive to a new drive. There better free disk drive utilities, but it does what it does and does it well.  

As I have a empty 2nd m.2 slot I keeping the 1TB as a boot drive, and I get another drive later for games. 

I would suggest keeping a m.2 slot free in the future, since the coming PC fast-loading solutions will make use of blank nvme drives for console-like loading speeds.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:06 AM, misterBee said:

Don't bother with a 3000 series.  Go straight for 5000 baby!!!

I have one other option I'm looking at besides a phone upgrade, that being a new motherboard and CPU that she pays for. I probably could get a decent Ryzen 5k setup with a very decent mainboard for as much as I'm looking at spending initially for this damn phone ($650 approx). 

11/25 edit: Since I had my money refunded on my X570 Pro TUF board from ASUS, I'm going to continue researching possible motherboards to go along with a possible new Ryzen 5 series CPU.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah.

I want to be clear. I'm not saying AMD are saints. They are company that has bullshit as well, but this Nvidia WTF man. Not sure if you heard but Nvidia is basically cutting off Hardward Unboxed because Steve thinks that Ray Tracing on the current generation of graphics cards isn't worth the performance hit. They sent him a letter that  literally said "We'll revisit this matter if your editorial policy changes."  I actually agree with Steve. As it stands Ray Tracing isn't worth performance hit. Morever, it still ISN'T a widely supported feature. I think there are around 15 games, including Cyberpunk, that support Ray Tracing. Great job Nvidia, you've just pissed off the entire tech reviewer community with a letter that looks like it was written by a forum troll.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

What grinds Nvidia gears is Steve will often ignore ray tracing in his reviews. Being that's their cards biggest selling point I can understand why they would be upset but to pull this shit ain't cool. They can black list him from getting partner cards too which is all kinds of fucked up.

The letter is completely disingenuous. Yes he focuses on rasterization but he puts up Ray Tracing numbers at the end of his videos. Not only that HUB has been a huge proponent of DLSS. The funny thing is and Linus Tech Tips of all people pointed this out. The first tab of Nvidia's DLSS webpage is a comment from Hardware Unboxed praising DLSS. What a bunch of clowns man. This is the entire list of Ray Tracing games on PC right now. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_ray_tracing_support

Edit: I guess Nvidia saw the massive backlash and have apologized and rescinded their blacklisting of Hardware Unboxed. Those fuckers aren't sorry. They didn't expect the backlash, even from people that aren't tight with Hardware Unboxed. 

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgyTjHKwnPQTk_6J5zZ4AaABCQ

Edited by Darc_Requiem
6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The situation got HUB some new subs. At least some good came out of this shit show.

The funny thing is, that if you follow their channel, they've been far more positive on Nvidia GPUs than AMD ones. Nvidia had the better product for sometime now and it was reflected in their content. Heck the 5700 series and 6800 series cards are the only ones I can recall them being positive about at launch. I have a feeling, like Steve said in his video, that it was a vendetta from an individual in the PR department. I also feel that the head of PR is going to summarily  can their ass. 

36 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The funny thing is, that if you follow their channel, they've been far more positive on Nvidia GPUs than AMD ones. Nvidia had the better product for sometime now and it was reflected in their content. Heck the 5700 series and 6800 series cards are the only ones I can recall them being positive about at launch. I have a feeling, like Steve said in his video, that it was a vendetta from an individual in the PR department. I also feel that the head of PR is going to summarily  can their ass. 

The guy who send the e-mail is the head of Nvidia's PR department. If he gets fired then it will have to come down further up the food chain.

8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The guy who send the e-mail is the head of Nvidia's PR department. If he gets fired then it will have to come down further up the food chain.

The head of PR signed the first email.  No one, Steve from HUB included, thinks he actually wrote it. He should have read it first before signing it. The apology email was clearly written by him though.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:03 PM, misterBee said:

I've been checking my local Microcenter every so often, and still no sign of RTX 3xxx or Radeon 6xxx cards.  😔

They got Ryzen 5800x in stock though...

The 5800X along with the 5950X have the best silicon for Ryzen 3. They both require "golden samples" to just to be made. Each has to have a CCX with all 8 cores full functional. Any defects and they get turned into 5600X and 5900X which only need 6 out of the 8 cores of the CCX to work.