Stage Select

The PC Gaming Thread, no console peasants allowed

DarkSakul

Woke up this morning and said to myself, "My motherboard and processor are going to be close to 6 years old soon, let's upgrade those entering the new era of fighting games especially now that I got this streaming deal with Freshcut, Matcherino and NYCfurby."

Saw a bunch of stuff on sale at Best Buy, dropped off my rig with them and they said everything will be ready by Thursday morning.  My specs entering the next gen are as follows...

11th gen i7 processor

RTX 2070 Super GPU

MSI - PRO Z590-A DDR4 Socket LGA 1700 USB 3.2 Intel Motherboard

32 GB RAM

2 monitors, one of them 165hz

multiple SSDs

Edited by Psychoblue
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Nvidia knows that card wasn't an 4080. Call it the 4070 Ti, what it actually is 

It's not even that really. I actually have to give Nvidia credit. They played a magic trick. They got everyone so ginned up about the 4080 12GB (4060Ti), that they still get to sell the 4080 16GB (4070) for $1200. The only people that got jobbed in this situation are the AIBs which yet again proves the wisdom of EVGA ditching Nvidia.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

13900K pulls 300+ watts. WTF. That's almost much as my 6900XT. CPUs pulling high end GPU now. It's pulling 70% more power than the 7950X's 175 watts. I remember when AMD CPUs were space heaters and Intel was the efficient one. How times change.

The same company who though this would be a good stock cooler
AJ7W_1_201904282057844501.jpg

Actually that is the old stock cooler, this is the new one

Intel-Laminar-RM1-Alder-Lake-S-65W-Coole

It looks shinny, but its the same POS.

Oh and for reference, the AMD stock cooler

8xdaewgxr0u71.jpg

Edited by DarkSakul
On 10/20/2022 at 7:33 PM, DarkSakul said:

The same company who though this would be a good stock cooler
AJ7W_1_201904282057844501.jpg

Actually that is the old stock cooler, this is the new one

Intel-Laminar-RM1-Alder-Lake-S-65W-Coole

It looks shinny, but its the same POS.

Eh, stock fan traditionally has been fine for i7 and lower running at stock speeds.  They're not the greatest but they work ok.

I kinda want the new one just because it looks cool.  🙃

Cooler Master tempest gp27u has been released and I haven't seen any reviews for it yet. So far all I've found is users in reddit who brought it to give their thoughts. Everything I've read so far sounds good but apparently the local dimming is disabled in game mode and when VRR is on. I hope cooler master releases a firmware update for that as that would be a borderline deal breaker for me.

On 10/27/2022 at 12:37 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

So this in the article,

NVIDIA has confirmed to The Verge

The Verge ? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Why people acting like the Verge is any sort of authority any more?

Nvidia needs to tell this to the reviewers testing the cards, especially Igor's Lab that they are right and something should be done about it.

Also the stupid sense pin thing was Intel's idea (way hold everyone back again Intel) as they are on the PCI SIG list of member companies.
Although no statement is found yet, AMD is most likely not going though with this awful 12VHPWR connector.

More on the Nvidia thing

Apparently custom made PSU cables work better than Nvidia's own awful mess.
Corsair already started shipping PSUs with a dedicated 12VHPWR cable.
And Cable Mod making more robust versions of the 12VHPWR cable with thicker gauge wire and each pin having a individual wire instead of a stupid soldered on Bus Bar.

I rather just stick to Team AMD

Edited by DarkSakul

The pricing and power draw are good but the RT performance still seems to be lacking. I wasn't expecting it to match the RTX 40 series but I'm not even sure it matches the RTX 30 series. The current "flagship" RX 7900XTX is only 355w and the same price as the unlaunched 4080 12GB at $999. The RT 7900XT is 300W and $899. In rasterization performance they both thorough out class the 4080. In raster, the 7900XTX seems to be trade blows with the 4090. I'm curious about AIB cards. Given how the low the power draw is, I wonder how high they can push the clocks with their rumored 3x8 pin designs. 

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-radeon-rx-7900xtx-and-7900xt-with-navi-31-rdna3-gpu

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Which is hilarious because it should be a 4060ti. Nvidia is pushing the bar so far beyond the pail that AMD looks good even when they pull something similar. While the 7900XTX is okay. The 7900XT, based on the how they did things in the 6000 series, should be a 7800XT. But when your competitor is rolling out 70 and 60 class cards for $1200 (4080 16GB) and $900 (4080/4070ti 12GB) under the guise of being 80 class. Charging $900 for your 80 class card looks good in comparison. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The hardware is already solid. The drivers are the issue. Those are not an overnight fix. Honestly if they had great drivers and so so hardware, they'd be able to turn things around faster IMO.

Knowing that the Intel arc team is largely made up of talent poached from Radeon this doesn't surprise me. Drivers have always been the Achilles heel of AMD GPUs.

Getting more board partners on board and lend their expertise can help them a lot.

6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Knowing that the Intel arc team is largely made up of talent poached from Radeon this doesn't surprise me. Drivers have always been the Achilles heel of AMD GPUs.

Getting more board partners on board and lend their expertise can help them a lot.

I always thought the issue with AMD Drivers were the manpower and funding related. Neither of those should be a problem going forward for Intel. 

I'm liking this monitor. I play around with color settings so it didn't look like ass. There is some weird firmware issues like not being able to use HDR and VRR simultaneously, I can't adjust local dimming in HDR game mode. A firmware update coming this month is suppose to fix that. Without that update that is a deal breaker for anyone interested in this monitor. Using one or the other type shit is extremely annoying as I'm trying to make custom profiles. 

The input lag isn't the best. Without overdrive enabled I get 11 ms responsive time. I get better responses setting overdrive to normal or advance. Setting to max will get me the best response but image quality takes a huge hit. I can play fighters just fine but this ain't the display for competitive Overwatch and CSGO. Not like those anyway. 

Man the "4080" (It's really a 4070) is a damned shit show. A $1200 entry point for that card? Hell the RT advantage isn't even all that impressive on that card. I mean AMD is selling the "7900XT" (It's really as 7800XT) for $900 and it looks like a steal next to Nvidia's shenanigans. WTF has happened to the PC gaming market. This shit needs to change. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, Hawkingbird said:

So the 40 series cards ain't selling and the price of 30 series cards have been rising because of it. I'm so glad I brought my 3080 during the summer when prices were good.

It's a trap.

I keep seeing people online saying stuff like "Fuck Nvidia!  I bought a 3000 series card instead!"

Nvidia keeps winning.  😢

More people need to buy AMD cards.  They're good -- and usually a much better price!

On 11/16/2022 at 11:14 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Man the "4080" (It's really a 4070) is a damned shit show. A $1200 entry point for that card? Hell the RT advantage isn't even all that impressive on that card. I mean AMD is selling the "7900XT" (It's really as 7800XT) for $900 and it looks like a steal next to Nvidia's shenanigans. WTF has happened to the PC gaming market. This shit needs to change. 

What has happened is people buying Nvidia cards for no reason.

Yes, Nvidia cards have more features and do better in production workloads, but I bet the vast amount of gamers aren't using those features or have cards powerful enough to take advantage of them.  People talking about Nvidia's superior RT performance and then buying a 3050/3060 make me laugh.

FSR 2.1 is also very good -- I'm not missing DLSS at all.

Unfortunately, I can't look at the video at work. Depending on the detailsy, it sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. The thing that immediately comes to mind is what BMW is testing in Europe. They want to charge people to unlock features in their car. Like you pay a monthly subscription for access to your heated seats. They try to make it sound like a good deal but in actuality it would save them money on manufacturing and net them more money overall. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I feel defeated. I'm getting the parts together to build my first SFF PC. When I finally settled on which SFX PSU to buy it has become a bitch to get it. If it's not out of stock it's $40-50 above MSRP. 

Which PSU were you trying to get?

SFX power supplies have always been pricey tbh.

2 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Don't let Nvidia get away with this!

Intel please save us!  😭

No one is going to save us if consumers buy Nvidia regardless. If you are gaming below a 70 class card there is not reason to buy an Nvidia card. RT performance isn't good at that level period.  You can get an AMD card at least class above for less money that performs significantly better but people don't care and they buy Nvidia anyway. It's basically always been this way. You can get a 6700XT for $360. The RTX 3060 is at least $370. The former is more than 2 classes above the latter. Which one do you think sells more? Until people stop buying Nvidia no matter what. We are screwed. There is a reason they just dropped what should be a 3050Ti (3060 8GB) for the same MSRP as  12GB RTX 3060 which is tier above it in performance. People are going to buy it anyway.