Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

Posted (edited)

I had someone on Reddit reply to a 3 year old (!) post I made about emulating Curse of Darkness vs actually buying it because it's not all that good and he couldn't believe I was saying that. He didn't believe that it was a common complaint of the game to have bloated garbage-y levels.

That game really is a shame. It had a lot of good things going for it but they took the one complaint everyone has about Lament and made it 10 times worse.

Edited by DoctaMario
27 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I had someone on Reddit reply to a 3 year old (!) post I made about emulating Curse of Darkness vs actually buying it because it's not all that good and he couldn't believe I was saying that. He didn't believe that it was a common complaint of the game to have bloated garbage-y levels.

That game really is a shame. It had a lot of good things going for it but they took the one complaint everyone has about Lament and made it 10 times worse.

I actually tried playing through it late last year via emulation and I gave up, and it was right after finishing an LOI run on the same Emulator. It was boring. The similar looking areas do suck a lot of the joy out of exploration, and I actually think the combat was worse. Hector felt to me a lot more stiff and clunky compared to Leon and most of the enemies i fought either weren't very aggressive or they were flying and annoying to fight. The few bosses I fought weren't much fun either. 

Maybe it gets better later on, I don't actually remember, but LOIs areas where small enough that by the time you where tired of them they where over. The rooms may have been boxes and hallways but they where small and short and kept the combat contained most of the time where as Curse had hallways that just never ended. 

Oh and I think all of LOIs bosses are good to really good (none are quite great tho) while what i fought in Curse was very nothing special.  I may need to give it more time I don't remember, but I'd rather play something else anyway.  

2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I actually tried playing through it late last year via emulation and I gave up, and it was right after finishing an LOI run on the same Emulator. It was boring. The similar looking areas do suck a lot of the joy out of exploration, and I actually think the combat was worse. Hector felt to me a lot more stiff and clunky compared to Leon and most of the enemies i fought either weren't very aggressive or they were flying and annoying to fight. The few bosses I fought weren't much fun either. 

Maybe it gets better later on, I don't actually remember, but LOIs areas where small enough that by the time you where tired of them they where over. The rooms may have been boxes and hallways but they where small and short and kept the combat contained most of the time where as Curse had hallways that just never ended. 

Oh and I think all of LOIs bosses are good to really good (none are quite great tho) while what i fought in Curse was very nothing special.  I may need to give it more time I don't remember, but I'd rather play something else anyway.  

I do remember enjoying Dracula's castle more than the rest of the game due to there being way more enemies and less wide open space. 

On 4/16/2024 at 1:33 AM, RSG3 said:

Yeah I only actually beat the game once. I started a few other times but never finished them because I just got so bored. It's such a shame because the ID thing was cool and the steal system was actually a really great idea, and the combat isn't too bad, it's just not as flashy as LoI's is. Some of the weapons you get have cool movesets although they aren't DMC levels of deep.

The thing that chapped my ass about the game was that there were hallways and rooms with NOTHING In them. No items, no enemies, no set pieces, nothing. It was like they weren't really supposed to be there in the first place and we're added last minute after it was too late to really do anything with them.

Trevor mode was kinda cool too, but again, I just never had the gumption to make it all the way through.

Lament would have been a top 10 CV game if the level design were fixed though. That game did pretty much everything right except for that.