Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

• 4 weeks later...

Hand-drawn Metroidvania game Constance announced for PC

Play as a paintbrush-wielding artist trying to escape a decaying world.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

Constance is a 2D hand-drawn action adventure featuring a paintbrush-wielding artist, striving to escape from a colorful but decaying inner-world, created by her declining mental health.

Key Features

• Become Paint – Utilize paint based mechanics to experience a constant state of flow – dive into the ground and walls, slice through the air and enemies!
  • Wield Your Brush – Become stronger by unlocking new techniques with your brush that aid you in defeating threatening foes, overcoming platform challenges, solving complex puzzles and advancing your progress.
  • Discover Yourself – Explore more than six unique biomes, countless of secrets, multiple paths, characters, side quests and collectibles in Constance‘s non-linear interconnected inner-world!
  • Strive For Balance – Using your brush techniques will corrupt your paint. If you become fully corrupted, negative effects await you, so be wary!
  • Get Inspired – Use inspirations that you find on your travels to sketch in your journal. Your sketches enhance and customize Constance’s capabilities. By gathering materials, you can upgrade your sketches into even stronger artworks.
  • Choice In Death – Upon death, choose how to continue your journey. Do you want to persevere through the challenge, for a price? Or do you return to a safe-point and explore other unbeaten paths?
  • Rich Imagined World – The inner-world is strongly connected to Constance’s mental health journey, with each biome and its unique set of enemies and characters representing different aspects of her psyche and personal history.
  • Interactive BackstoryExperience playable flashbacks about personal struggle, creativity, work-life-balance, and inner purpose. Step into Constance’s socks to uncover her past!

Grime II debut trailer

First look at the Metroidvania sequel.

Here is an overview of GRIME II, via Clover Bite:

About

Become the stealer of forms in GRIME II, a surreal action adventure Metroidvania. Launch tendrils made of hands to absorb foes and summon molds in their shape, as you explore a bizarre lived-in-world obsessed with art.

Story

Become a stealer of forms in GRIME II, the sequel to 2021’s acclaimed action adventure Metroidvania. You are a Formless—an art mimic, absorbing creatures and summoning molds in their shape.

Venture into a new and mysterious land in the GRIME universe, where danger and wonder await around every corner. Use your surroundings in tandem with your summoned molds to overcome deadly enemies and epic bosses, all the while exploring a deep world full of diverse cultures and characters.

Create your own playstyle by choosing from a variety of abilities, weapons, and mold summons. Learn the makings of your enemies as you summon their form to both aid you in combat, as well as in exploring the various secrets paths of the world.

Key Features

• Molds – Absorb defeated enemies, shaping them into molds which can then be used for special attacks. Use molds to throw enemies, fire projectiles, stun, and even turn into summons.
  • Environmental Combat – Wherever you go, the environment provides ample opportunities to damage enemies nearby or from a distance. Be wary, for they can do the same to you!
  • Parry and Grasp – Send hand-tendrils to either parry enemy attacks or grasp and absorb them, drawing you closer to learning their shape.
  • A Lived-In World – Discover incredible locations made of painted nails and giant vases, each with its own unique civilization, culture, and deep characters to converse with.

4 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

I haven't played the original, but I thought it looked half-baked. Let us know what you think if you play it.

Yeah a lot of these metroidvanias do imo. I still haven't played the original Blasphemous as the demo didn't grab me but I might give it another chance

54 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah a lot of these metroidvanias do imo.

Blasphemous isn't much of a metroidvania TBH. Its closer to playing a NES castlevania in a big ass castle than it is something that would imply you have any type of movement. The fluff is awesome, a lot of the other decisions are questionable.

Give it a shot. It has a lot of cool stuff, some stuff that's a big swing and a miss but there are a chunk of reasons to play it.

41 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Blasphemous isn't much of a metroidvania TBH. Its closer to playing a NES castlevania in a big ass castle than it is something that would imply you have any type of movement. The fluff is awesome, a lot of the other decisions are questionable.

Give it a shot. It has a lot of cool stuff, some stuff that's a big swing and a miss but there are a chunk of reasons to play it.

I remember you saying there was a lot of pointlessness in it but it looks like a cool game. Tbh I'm more inclined to play it hearing it more resembles the classic CV games

1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

I remember you saying there was a lot of pointlessness in it but it looks like a cool game.

Oh there is. Think a big problem with the game is marketting and how its discussed. This isn't a metroidvania. I get that it looks like a duck, quacks a like a duck (would be better in some places if they'd approach it like a duck which is what Blasphemous 2 did in some places), but that's that. It isn't really a "Soulslike" either because wel lits missing elements from the soul series in a bunch of places.

What it is closer to is like a 2D side scrolling RPG. If you approach it that way, with a combat that lets you do some gross fatalities to random enemies (they're cool AF), then you'll have a better idea of what you're getting into. There is a lot of story stuff. A lot of story stuff. Look like 80% of the secrets you discover are some storry fluf shit that you'll either love or could give two shits about. If you approach it in a more relaxed way then finding about the awful world these people are living in. If you are like me, pressed for time in gaming, and wanna find things that change up the gameplay, this game sucks all the fucking dicks. Becuase you're going to do some hard jumps to find the clavicle of St Lawrence the Distended so you can read about how he died of explosive diarrhea thanks to the miracle and how happy he is being penitent of his sins while dying of holy diarrhea.

But the artwork is top notch all around. Just you know,put yourself in a mentality that it is kind of a slow drink type of game.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Oh there is. Think a big problem with the game is marketting and how its discussed. This isn't a metroidvania. I get that it looks like a duck, quacks a like a duck (would be better in some places if they'd approach it like a duck which is what Blasphemous 2 did in some places), but that's that. It isn't really a "Soulslike" either because wel lits missing elements from the soul series in a bunch of places.

What it is closer to is like a 2D side scrolling RPG. If you approach it that way, with a combat that lets you do some gross fatalities to random enemies (they're cool AF), then you'll have a better idea of what you're getting into. There is a lot of story stuff. A lot of story stuff. Look like 80% of the secrets you discover are some storry fluf shit that you'll either love or could give two shits about. If you approach it in a more relaxed way then finding about the awful world these people are living in. If you are like me, pressed for time in gaming, and wanna find things that change up the gameplay, this game sucks all the fucking dicks. Becuase you're going to do some hard jumps to find the clavicle of St Lawrence the Distended so you can read about how he died of explosive diarrhea thanks to the miracle and how happy he is being penitent of his sins while dying of holy diarrhea.

But the artwork is top notch all around. Just you know,put yourself in a mentality that it is kind of a slow drink type of game.

I hear you. I don't mind that so much if it's a really good game, so if that's the case, maybe it'll stick this time around

2D pixel art action platformer Akatori announced for Switch, PC

Use world-switching mechanic to discover new locations.

Here is an overview of the game, via HypeTrain Digital:

About

DeathStick is a beautiful 2D pixel art Metroidvania / slasher platformer, where you follow a young girl Mako that starts an enthralling journey to save her world from destruction.

The ancient God has been dormant for many ages. All this time, two dimensions of the magical world of Aarkalia co-existed in balance. But one day, everything will change—the endless power of ancient God will be brought upon the Aarkalia to turn it into ashes.

Only the young girl Mako can stop the dark ritual from happening. Embark on this fascinating adventure, uncover its mysteries and help Mako discover her true destiny!

DeathStick has a unique world-switching mechanic: a World Warp ability turns the special in-game areas 180 degrees, transfers the protagonist into another dimension, and unlocks new locations.

Apart from the world-switching mechanic that helps players to navigate through the in-game world, great emphasis in DeathStick is placed on combat. The core element of the combat system are various combos. The hero can fight enemies on the ground, toss them up and continue to battle in mid-air. Equipped with a quarterstaff and a hand fan Mako can perform melee and ranged style attacks, providing players with space for experiments.

Key Features

• Fight Like an Assassin – Slasher fighting mechanics with combos.
  • Don’t Get Lost – Explore the world of Aarkalia in two different dimensions.
  • Defend Against Evil Forces – Challenge dozens of unique enemies and furious bosses through your adventure.
  • Become a Master – Evolve and change your playstyle by obtaining a wide range of unique abilities and special attacks.
  • Look Into It – Charming pixel-art aesthetics combined with smooth animations.
  • Find Your Path – Solve the mystery of the Great Mirror through multiple endings.
Edited by AriesWarlock

ULTROS ‘First Look’ gameplay trailer

Metroidvania side-scrolling action adventure game due out in 2024.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

You wake up stranded, after seemingly crashing your ship on The Sarcophagus—a giant, space-drifting, cosmic uterus holding an ancient demonic being known as ULTROS. Trapped in the eternal loop of a black hole, you will have to explore The Sarcophagus and meet its inhabitants to understand the part you play.

Are you the gruesome breaker of this cycle, or can you become a link from destruction to rebirth?

Key Features

• A Psychedelic Science-Fiction JourneyULTROS is set in a multifaceted realm – a vast alien landscape teeming with life. Grounded in science fiction, ULTROS comes wrapped in an eccentric art style and a mystical soundtrack from the visionary El Huervo, renowned for his work on Hotline Miami. ULTROS explores meta-themes of mental health, life, death, and karmic cycles through deep lore and environmental storytelling.
  • A World of ContrastExperience brutal, intimate, close-quarter combat with cosmic lifeforms, driven by a sense of urgency—where precision is paramount and every cut of your blade counts. Yet this intense combat is juxtaposed with cultivating the greenery and tending to plant life in The Sarcophagus, providing precious moments of contemplation and peace. In turn, this grants deeper access to obscured paths.
  • A Mysterious, Layered Loop – The rich world of ULTROS holds many secrets for those curious enough—and fearless enough—to seek them out. A unique loop-based mechanic will allow you to start over at key moments in the story, providing opportunities to unfold such secrets, unlock different areas of the world and new abilities on a branching skill tree. Experiment with and master your own specific fighting style as you explore the world of ULTROS. Each loop brings you closer to the truth…

ULTROS is due out for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via Steam and Epic Games Store in 2024.

I finally got around to finishing the Netflix series and the 4tg season definitely ended better than it started. I still maintain that they fucked up by not having Dracula in there for a majority of the series as he is probably the most interesting and integral part of  the Castlevania franchise as a whole and I would have liked to have seen them explore him a bit more, but overall it was good and I don't understand the grief people gave over the ending.

I have to say that the writing was kind of uneven. Like every now and again, there'd be some phrase someone would say that just seemed way out of character like when Death says that it's "weirdly fucked up" that he can't pull souls from Hell. Like really? Why is DEATH all the sudden talking like he's on Twitter? I see in a lot of shows and it always takes me out of it a bit so I was disappointed it happened here. Hopefully the writing is better for the upcoming series.

Edited by DoctaMario

The Death in Castlevania games is not the actual personification of the concept of death or the grim reaper, he is just a demon or some spirit who calls himself that. I think Trevor said something to that effect.

And so, this Death, has spent a lot of time living among humans, and has taken up the colloquial vernacular. But, yes, I find the use of some expletives in the show too much. But English is not my first language, and I don't know if the dark ages were so crude, so I don't know.

Edited by AriesWarlock
On 9/1/2023 at 9:49 PM, AriesWarlock said:

The Death in Castlevania games is not the actual personification of the concept of death or the grim reaper, he is just a demon or some spirit who calls himself that. I think Trevor said something to that effect.

And so, this Death, has spent a lot of time living among humans, and has taken up the colloquial vernacular. But, yes, I find the use of some expletives in the show too much. But English is not my first language, and I don't know if the dark ages were so crude, so I don't know.

Yeah I remember Trevor saying that, it was interesting to think about actually.

My problem isn't even with the cursing so much as how strange it is to juxtapose 21st century vernacular on  a spirit in the 16th century who is probably even older than that.

Btw what's your first language? I wasn't aware English wasn't your first lol

26 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Yeah I remember Trevor saying that, it was interesting to think about actually.

My problem isn't even with the cursing so much as how strange it is to juxtapose 21st century vernacular on  a spirit in the 16th century who is probably even older than that.

Btw what's your first language? I wasn't aware English wasn't your first lol

It's Spanish. Back in the early 90's they installed a big ass parabolic antenna in the building where I was living  and it gave us English channels. So I decided to learn English then. Back when there was only one Cinemax, HBO, Disney, Discovery Channel, and ESPN lol.

22 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

It's Spanish. Back in the early 90's they installed a big ass parabolic antenna in the building where I was living  and it gave us English channels. So I decided to learn English then. Back when there was only one Cinemax, HBO, Disney, Discovery Channel, and ESPN lol.

Interesting, I didn't know that! And yeah I remember when there was only one of each of those channels too 😂

Never heard of The Scheme but something about it gives me Getsu Fuma Den vibes (the 8 bit game I mean, which is also really good and one I recommend!)

by Jason Ryan
September 6, 2023

Greetings, Army of the Night!

We are excited to bring you a message from Bloodstained Producer IGA and Director SHUTARO!

First, we apologize for the long delay between updates. The development team has been busy working on the new VS and Chaos modes, both of which include online multiplayer play for the first time. This has resulted in some challenges and delays that we that we did not expect, but we continue forward! We are nearing completion of the new content.

We will share more on how Chaos and VS modes work on September 14th.

Until then, we hope this small preview of the new modes and upcoming premium DLC will give you an idea of what is to come!

TWO MILLION COPIES SOLD!

Finally, we are honored to announce that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has sold two million copies since its launch in June 2019!

2Million-700x389.jpg

This is due to all the to the support we have received from everyone. We would like to sincerely thank you so much. This entire project has been a labor of love for everyone involved.

We appreciate all of the support you have given us since the initial Kickstarter announcement.

We have much more to do and we look forward to sharing it all with you!

Thank you very much!

The Bloodstained Ritual of the night Team

On 9/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, AriesWarlock said:
by Jason Ryan
September 6, 2023

Greetings, Army of the Night!

We are excited to bring you a message from Bloodstained Producer IGA and Director SHUTARO!

First, we apologize for the long delay between updates. The development team has been busy working on the new VS and Chaos modes, both of which include online multiplayer play for the first time. This has resulted in some challenges and delays that we that we did not expect, but we continue forward! We are nearing completion of the new content.

We will share more on how Chaos and VS modes work on September 14th.

Until then, we hope this small preview of the new modes and upcoming premium DLC will give you an idea of what is to come!

TWO MILLION COPIES SOLD!

Finally, we are honored to announce that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night has sold two million copies since its launch in June 2019!

2Million-700x389.jpg

This is due to all the to the support we have received from everyone. We would like to sincerely thank you so much. This entire project has been a labor of love for everyone involved.

We appreciate all of the support you have given us since the initial Kickstarter announcement.

We have much more to do and we look forward to sharing it all with you!

Thank you very much!

The Bloodstained Ritual of the night Team

Man Vs mode looks like a lot of fun, kind of like Tag Climax mode in Bayo2. And Dominique's Curse?? Holy shit am I looking forward to that. I really need to explore that crossover section they added to the game, it's been awhile since I played Bloodstained. Game is really the gift that keeps on giving.

Tera is kinda whatever but Annette is weird. It's a really great character design given to a character who already fills a role and it ain't that lol. I don't care that much it's just fucking weird. 

I think they will have a much rougher time with their DMC show if they go with these levels of changes. The DMC fanbase doesn't really play that shit, as we saw with DmC. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Tera is kinda whatever but Annette is weird. It's a really great character design given to a character who already fills a role and it ain't that lol. I don't care that much it's just fucking weird. 

I think they will have a much rougher time with their DMC show if they go with these levels of changes. The DMC fanbase doesn't really play that shit, as we saw with DmC. 

It's  weird to me that they feel like they have to do this with existing characters, and tbh the design doesn't make sense. Like even if she was Arabic/Moorish/etc that would make more sense than a black chick with dreds. Let's make Richter indigenous while we're at it lol

I was ok with the redesign of Isaac in the other series, I actually prefer that characterization to the one in Curse Of Darkness. But it feels like they're just shoehorning this in because they feel like they have to appeal to redditards.

DMC's peripheral characters are more visible than Rondo's so there's no way they'd be able to get away with it there.

Edited by DoctaMario
49 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Like even if she was Arabic/Moorish/etc that would make more sense than a black chick with dreds.

She's a freed slave, she's not from the region, hence her design. I think it looks fine. 

I was ok with the redesign of Isaac in the other series, I actually prefer that characterization to the one in Curse Of Darkness. But it feels like they're just shoehorning this in because they feel like they have to appeal to redditards.

So Isaac for me is they took a bad character and made him good. Isaac was a nothing character in a position of importance. Annette is Richters wife lol. Her job is to be Richters motivation beyond "It's the family business." That's her role and they are making her into some else entirely. Isaac was still a Devil Forgemaster who worked for Dracula. Like the basic blocks of him where still there. This is a whole new character they've named Annette. It's weird. I'm all for giving her more to do then just be a Damsel but like this isn't Annette anymore. 

DMC's peripheral characters are more visible than Rondo's so there's no way they'd be able to get away with it there.

They might be able to pull off a race swap since Morrison in DMCV is made black when he was white in every other appearance, but other then the skin color and bit of personality shift (for the better) he was still Morrison. If they make Triish into Dantes black half sister from a random Sparda liason or some weird shit people are gonna have a problem. 

Edited by RSG3
9 hours ago, RSG3 said:

She's a freed slave, she's not from the region, hence her design. I think it looks fine. 

So Isaac for me is they took a bad character and made him good. Isaac was a nothing character in a position of importance. Annette is Richters wife lol. Her job is to be Richters motivation beyond "It's the family business." That's her role and they are making her into some else entirely. Isaac was still a Devil Forgemaster who worked for Dracula. Like the basic blocks of him where still there. This is a whole new character they've named Annette. It's weird. I'm all for giving her more to do then just be a Damsel but like this isn't Annette anymore. 

I don't know why they don't just create a new character. Like you said Annette has a purpose in the games, and this Annette will probably be a girlboss too if the previous series is any indication.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I watched Witcher but I've never played the games or read the books. What did they do?

Let's just say they made sure to hit their targeted diversity score while casting explicitly  medieval eastern European fiction (with clear visual descriptions of many characters).   

On 9/15/2023 at 2:32 PM, DoctaMario said:

I watched Witcher but I've never played the games or read the books. What did they do?

Completely ignored the lore and inserted "diversity" in a setting where just about everyone should be Caucasian. There are darker skinned people in The Witcher universe, they reside in Zerrikania and the story doesn't take place there. It's far to the South IIRC. Like Africa is from Poland.  All the sorceresses are supposed be gorgeous. They magically enhance their looks. That's not really the case in the show. The former annoys me because they couldn't even been bothered to have an offhand remark about how a character is from Zerrikania. Or they couldn't be smart enough to do what House of the Dragon did and have an entire foreign family be "black". Them not being from area and being different from everyone else makes sense. The latter is just par for the course these days and unsurprising given the casting directors comments about Yennefer's casting. I can't imagine Anya Chalotra was pleased by them.

Side note: I watched a show on Netflix a while back, Barbarians is the title IIRC. it's clearly a European show dubbed into English. Based on the setting everyone should be Caucasian. There is one black character in that show but it makes sense. She was enslaved when the Romans sacked Carthage. They took like 2 minutes for a flashback and her being in middle of Gaul instantly made sense.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Completely ignored the lore and inserted "diversity" in a setting where just about everyone should be Caucasian. There are darker skinned people in The Witcher universe, they reside in Zerrikania and the story doesn't take place there. It's far to the South IIRC. Like Africa is from Poland.  All the sorceresses are supposed be gorgeous. They magically enhance their looks. That's not really the case in the show. The former annoys me because they couldn't even been bothered to have an offhand remark about how a character is from Zerrikania. Or they couldn't be smart enough to do what House of the Dragon did and have an entire foreign family be "black". Them not being from area and being different from everyone else makes sense. The latter is just par for the course these days and unsurprising given the casting directors comments about Yennefer's casting. I can't imagine Anya Chalotra was pleased by them.

Side note: I watched a show on Netflix a while back, Barbarians is the title IIRC. it's clearly a European show dubbed into English. Based on the setting everyone should be Caucasian. There is one black character in that show but it makes sense. She was enslaved when the Romans sacked Carthage. They took like 2 minutes for a flashback and her being in middle of Gaul instantly made sense.

Interesting. That witcher show seems like a mess, which is unfortunate because the first season was pretty good and actually made me want to play the game. I miss the days when people could just make a fucking show without trying to be bullshit "activists." Its really an insult to real deal activists in a way.

And actually, I'm curious what you thought about the writing of the Castlevania show.

Edited by DoctaMario