Stage Select

The Hip Hop and R&B Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Not really a hip-hop or rap guy, but I was coming back from a road trip yesterday and just blasted through The Infamous by Mobb Deep. What an awesome album full of beautiful storytelling about black men in America that so intimately parallels brown men in Pakistan. I couldn't relate at all, but I could understand. What are the general thoughts about it here?

12 hours ago, Dayaan said:

Not really a hip-hop or rap guy, but I was coming back from a road trip yesterday and just blasted through The Infamous by Mobb Deep. What an awesome album full of beautiful storytelling about black men in America that so intimately parallels brown men in Pakistan. I couldn't relate at all, but I could understand. What are the general thoughts about it here?

Can't speak towards the parallels but Mobb Deep were always one of the better rap groups in a time there were a ton of great ones. 

16 hours ago, Dayaan said:

One of the classic 90’s hip hop albums. Like you said love the story telling. Has one of my favorite songs (Start of Your Ending) and the iconic Shook Ones. Even the Interlude is good…might be the only interlude I actually intentionally listen to.

8 hours ago, Vhozite said:

One of the classic 90’s hip hop albums. Like you said love the story telling. Has one of my favorite songs (Start of Your Ending) and the iconic Shook Ones. Even the Interlude is good…might be the only interlude I actually intentionally listen to.

Haha, I really liked the prelude before Survival of the Fittest. They talk in English how some guys I grew up with in Pakistan talked in Urdu.

Just a great album overall.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2024 at 8:26 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

So did anyone else watch Kendrick's  concert? Damn man.

For real.

Kinda related - I wonder if anyone's lost a rap battle as hard as Drake did here. He'll be fine long-term, but he lost. Crips, Bloods, and NBA players united on stage to dance to the hit song calling him a pedophile on a globally-streamed concert that did insane numbers and had the crowd singing every word. If you told me 2 months ago that this was even possible, I would walk away from you mid-conversation.

2 hours ago, axeman61 said:

For real.

Kinda related - I wonder if anyone's lost a rap battle as hard as Drake did here. He'll be fine long-term, but he lost. Crips, Bloods, and NBA players united on stage to dance to the hit song calling him a pedophile on a globally-streamed concert that did insane numbers and had the crowd singing every word. If you told me 2 months ago that this was even possible, I would walk away from you mid-conversation.

Amazon gave Kendrick a bag to have him and the entire West Coast dance on Drake's grave. I've never seen anything like it man. When he let the crowd hit the first "A MINORRRRRR!" bar I swore he was doing Drake's Hotline Bling Dance. Diabolical! Russell Westbrook was having the time of his life. Kendrick on stage with two gangs (Bloods, &Crips)  that are usually on sight and them all dancing together just was unreal. And they posed for a group photo.

Side note: Kendrick's breath control is unreal. Anyone else would have been out of breath.