Stage Select

The Hip Hop and R&B Thread

58 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Dope as fuck finally seeing Jadakiss get his flowers after all the time he's put in my game, he's always been one of my favorite up north artists, if not my #1. The days of him being underrated are over and I'm here for it

Jada has had mainstream success so it's to think that he was underrated. That Iverson commerical he did 15 years ago was probably his mainstream peak.

When I say he's underrated, I don't mean he's NOT successful, guys. I mean when you speak of the great rappers and lyricists, Jadakiss usually gets left out of the conversation with the other big names, now even people not from the North are finally recognizing his ability. That's pretty much all I meant

Jadakiss himself agreed with LeBron when he said how underrated he is the next day after Verzuz, I think I'll take his word for it🤷🏾‍♂️

And that battle should've been way closer cuz Dipset definitely has hella bangers, but their chemistry was non existent, the DJ was ass and them rapping over vocals was just poor. Hopefully this motivates to get back in rap shape, doubtful tho

Edited by HD-Man
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Holy F. I just watched the Canibus vs Dizaster King of the Dot battle for the first time and that was hard to watch. I love Canibus but he got destroyed. Like made him look pathetic destroyed. Kinda wish I never watched it tbh

Is that the infamous battle I heard about where Canibus lost so bad he pulled out his notebook mid match? 

16 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Is that the infamous battle I heard about where Canibus lost so bad he pulled out his notebook mid match? 

Yeah. They each did two verses acapella, Canibus went first. After the second Dizaster verse (which hit real hard),  Canibus went “okay, you can spit, and you won, but I’ve been practicing this for three weeks and wrote some stuff, so let me spit it so the crowd gets their money’s worth”, he then pulled out his book and rapped from it… a lot of his rhymes were taken from some of his old lines too, like he’d recite something off Second Round KO and change LL’s name with Dizaster’s lol.

after Bis’ last verse, Dizaster went off and buried him. I’m not going to lie, it was sad to see. you could see it in Canibus’ face (and on the faces of his crew) that he got washed, like embarrassingly bad.

at first, I was giving Canibus an edge because Dizaster has so much info from Canibus throughout the years he could pick apart, whereas Bis was likely going in somewhat blind, but it was clear like all of Bis’ stuff was written (and to be honest, not much of it was all that good), whereas Dizaster clearly had some stuff prepared, but definitely not everything, as he did a good job of spinning Bis’ words back at him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nasir Jones dropped a new album. 

I see alot of verzus talk about nobody messin with Jay. I prefer a different conversation... Who aged better as a rapper? I think nas easily smokes that conversation. Jay's music peaked and kinda just stayed the same for a decade... Nas imo even with such a flow that's pretty timeless has aged as a rapper wayy better

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Nasir Jones dropped a new album. 

I see alot of verzus talk about nobody messin with Jay. I prefer a different conversation... Who aged better as a rapper? I think nas easily smokes that conversation. Jay's music peaked and kinda just stayed the same for a decade... Nas imo even with such a flow that's pretty timeless has aged as a rapper wayy better

I disagree. Since 4:44 Jay has taken a turn being a conscious rapper. The topic of generational wealth has become a major thing for him. He's also opened up a bit more. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I disagree. Since 4:44 Jay has taken a turn being a conscious rapper. The topic of generational wealth has become a major thing for him. He's also opened up a bit more. 

I dont think he's opened up as much as we think. If anything he felt forced into a corner since he knew bey was gonna do a whole album on him cheating. 

Him being a generational wealth rapper is meh to me. Especially because it's like Jay put out 1 album to nas's 3? 4? Now

I think nas is aging as a way better artist. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This what I been listening to.

“Go Part 1” is imo Polo G’s hardest song. I was meh on this album until this song. 

Not hip hop but I recently rediscovered this song. I hate glorification of cheating but it’s too catchy. Throwback

Young MA rips this beat. First workout song in the playlist everytime. The beat is “Money, Power, Respect”

I just saw White Chicks for the first time a couple weeks ago lol

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Magic by Nas is real nice, and yet another release that’s better than KD1. According to one of the songs Nas is working on King’s Disease 3. Love the moving album artwork here.

Its Almost Dry (Pusha T) is definitely in the running for AOTY. Beat on this song is absolutely filthy 

I haven’t been big into Griselda but Conway is making me a believer. Alchemist been doing his thing and doesn’t stop here. What’s crazy is that after listening to him rip up every feature I feel like Conway went easy on this beat for how good it is. My favorite song on From King to a GOD with a nasty beat switch.

Edited by Vhozite
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tee Grizzley absolutely killing this Robbery series. Part 4 just dropped the other day.

It’s actually 4 different songs but you can listen to the whole series (as of today) in this one link. Music vids are pretty good too…nice compliment to the story.

Also I know y’all heard about PnB rock. RIP but fr the way he died was stupid

• 3 weeks later...

Robbery part 5 

Ngl purely as music I feel like this is the weakest in the series, especially since it’s so short. But as a part of the story with the music video it’s a solid entry, and definitely the most “bro Wtf are you doing” song so far lol. Apparently it’s off his new album (LP?) “Chapters of the Trenches”. 

So far 2>>>4>1>3>5 if I’m picking an order.

Also since nobody said it yet RIP Coolio. 

Edited by Vhozite
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like it’s drop season lots of good project in the last couple months.

“Chapters of the Trenches” - Tee Grizzley

Straight fire. Latest part of the Robbery series along with 2 more stories series that are pretty good. Between his story telling, wild talking, and truth telling I feel like Tee is really getting slept on rn. Probably my favorite artist this year. This album is also feels the tightest of projects in this post at 45 mins with almost no skips. 

“It’s Only Me” - Lil Baby

Flaming hot ass and probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. Between “My Turn” being legit good and Baby killing every feature this year this should’ve been an easy hit out of the park.  Even the album art and title are heat. Instead the project is over an hour of the most generic throwaway Baby tracks you will ever hear. Sounds like dude brought into his own hype and thought he could record literally anything and it would be considered a classic. 

“King’s Disease 3” - Nas

Nas and Hit-boy continue probably the best run of the 2020’s so far. People meme about J. cole “Platinum with no features” but I really feel like too many albums these days way too feature heavy. Nas goes through the whole 52 mins with no features and I think it’s a breath of fresh air. Personally I think the album started a bit slow but by track 3 or 4 it picks up. If I’m choosing an order KD2>KD3>KD1.

“Her Loss” - Drake + 21 Savage

There was no possible way this project was gonna be bad. Both dudes go hard and the album is full of fun quotables. I’m not a Drake fan and I haven’t even bothered listening to his last 3 or 4 projects before this, but this is good. My only complaint is 21 feels underrepresented for this supposedly being a collab album. However even with the Drake bias these guys compliment each other very well. 

Edited by Vhozite
  • 3 weeks later...