Stage Select

The Hip Hop and R&B Thread

I can’t stand albums with a fuckton of features. After a certain point it doesn’t even feel like the albums artists project anymore. Obviously I don’t think everything should be “Platinum with no features”, but it always looks super weak to have an album full of other people. 

I listen to new albums from artists I’m not familiar so I can broaden my horizons and maybe get put on to something new. Today I’m listening to “La Bella Medusa” by Ill Bill and I swear over half the album he isn’t in even the first person you hear on the song. Half way in I could barely tell you what he sounds like because 10/12 songs have a feature and 5/12 have multiple features. 

I actually enjoyed the album for the most part, so no big deal ig. But I would’ve enjoyed it more if I could hear more of the main artist. 

Edited by Vhozite
4 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I can’t stand albums with a fuckton of features. After a certain point it doesn’t even feel like the albums artists project anymore. Obviously I don’t think everything should be “Platinum with no features”, but it always looks super weak to have an album full of other people. 

I listen to new albums from artists I’m not familiar so I can broaden my horizons and maybe get put on to something new. Today I’m listening to “La Bella Medusa” by Ill Bill and I swear over half the album he isn’t in even the first person you hear on the song. Half way in I could barely tell you what he sounds like because 10/12 songs have a feature and 5/12 have multiple features. 

I actually enjoyed the album for the most part, so no big deal ig. But I would’ve enjoyed it more if I could hear more of the main artist. 

I feel you on albums that are feature rich. It feels to me that the artist can't carry an album on their own and needs a shit ton of assistance to make it through. 

Though there are some instances where I can excuse it. For instance, I don't mind that a Westside Gunn album is full of features as goal seems to be a showcase for the features and Gunn is using himself to get those artists out there. Being the head of a label, that's the best thing he can do with his projects. Guys like Dr. Dre did same thing with their albums. 

Edited by Hawkingbird

New Meek, Jeezy, and Da Baby

Meek

Jeezy

Baby

Edit: I am listening to the album Von dropped right before he died.

Its really good...until you get 8-10 songs in and it really isn’t anymore. It’s  one of those albums where every song starts to sound really similar after a while. It’s a good thing if you really like it, because then the whole album goes in, but if you don’t you definitely won’t like it. I put this on while for something to listen while I applied for jobs and there were a few points where I didn’t notice the song changed or a song ended and I realized it basically never grabbed my attention. 

I give it a 5/10. You could randomly axe half the album and it’d be much better without being 45 mins. Lyrically the subject matter is also hyper repetitive. Typical thug life/gun shit. 

Edited by Vhozite

I’m listening to “God’s Son” by Nas and while I’m not his biggest fan he has a good amount of songs I really like. But this album is falling kind of flat for me. The technical ability is there but the music is not really enjoyable to listen to? The 2nd half of the album picks up a bit but this mans music would be so much better with half decent beats and hooks. Like how can dudes with not even 1/4 of his ability get better beats than him?

55 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

It's a criticism I never understood when it comes to Nas. I think the production of his discography is largely fine. Nas obviously chooses beats that won't overshadow the content of his songs.  

So he picks trash beats on purpose? It’s not gonna overshadow the lyrics but I also get distracted from his lyrics when he is rapping over fart noises. There are a few songs on this album that would be better if he just spit with no beat. I can listen to him rap with no background because the focus is all on his words, but with bad beats it just makes it seem like he sucks at making balanced music. 

Its not just his beats...his hooks are also 90% trash. Just don’t have one for all that. 

Edited by Vhozite
19 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Apple music is doing something similar if you use that. 

Bro I’ve been pirating music for like 10 years. It’s free and I don’t trust streaming services.

Funny enough I actually bought 3 physical albums since I started by holiday job like 2 weeks ago. Think I’ll start collecting physicals.

Edited by Vhozite
  • 3 weeks later...

Been to long since this thread got traffic. 

Just got done listening to The Saga of Wiz Khalifa and Trippie’s Pegasus. 

Wiz’s album is actually better than I expected from someone who’s fallen off a bit. Nothing mind blowing, but the album was enjoyable when I was paying attention and even grabbed my attention when I had it on in the background. Kinda feature-heavy at a glance but it’s not as bad as it looks, and Wiz never get out shined by the other artist. Only keeping like 3 songs, but I also think it’s one of those albums that sound good if you’re going through and listening to the whole thing. 7/10

Trippie’s album was not something I enjoyed, though it’d be more accurate to say I probably just don’t like his music. Trippie sounds like Drake if he was a SoundCloud rapper with tats on his face. I was told beforehand by a friend that likes his music that this album was garbage so i might give him another try in the future. But this album I couldn’t even finish. Too many songs, too many features, generic bars/lyrics, Audacity-tier beats. The only half decent song is carried by Chris Brown...everything else sounds like generic sad boi trap throwaways.  🗑/10

Edited by Vhozite
34 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Trippie’s album was not something I enjoyed, though it’d be more accurate to say I probably just don’t like his music. Trippie sounds like Drake if he was a SoundCloud rapper with tats on his face. I was told beforehand by a friend that likes his music that this album was garbage so i might give him another try in the future. But this album I couldn’t even finish. Too many songs, too many features, generic bars/lyrics, Audacity-tier beats. The only half decent song is carried by Chris Brown...everything else sounds like generic sad boi trap throwaways.  🗑/10

How was Busta's feature? Seeing him on there made me do a double take since he isn't on Trippie's wheelhouse. 

I listened to the B side of Music to be Murdered By. The beginning of the album rough. Em was putting on Encore level material on the first few tracks. It picked up once it got to Book of Rhymes though. I'm disappointed he had DJ Premiere on the track and didn't have him produce it. Much like the base album the best tracks were the ones with features. Book of Rhymes, Zeus, and Favorite Bitch were the highlights for me. Overall it was ok. 

On 12/20/2020 at 10:46 PM, Hawkingbird said:

How was Busta's feature? Seeing him on there made me do a double take since he isn't on Trippie's wheelhouse. 

Don’t remember that song but I don’t like Busta anyway  so idk. 

I finally listened to Meek’s Quarantine Pack and this is the worst music he’s put out in a while. Four songs all with a feature, and when Meek raps there is often this weird filter over his voice that makes it sound like he took a hit of helium before hopping on the mic. It’s so bad that on the first song I wasn’t even sure it was him rapping. The last song is decent but it’s slow and like half the song is Vory. EP seems more like a expo of mediocre rappers than a real Meek drop. Not the worst thing I’ve ever heard but disappointing for someone who’s last major release was in 2018. 

Statement by Herb is fire. Dude is my favorite “new” rapper after 21. 

I love lots of old rap but it was homophobic af back in the day and it bothers me more than all the bars about murder and crime.

My brother’s keeper by DaBaby is one of the best releases of the year. 

Edit: lol mfs love talking shit about Derrick Rose knees 😂

Edited by Vhozite
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Wu Tang's Cappadonna is getting clowned for having this as album art

image0.png

This isn’t real is it? It can’t be lol...that has got to be the worst album cover I’ve ever seen in my life. Shit looks like he got an intern at world wildlife fund to make it. 

Lil Wayne is undefeated on another persons beat. No Ceilings 3 has some misses but the good songs are really fucking good outside of DJ Khalid screaming at the beginning/end. He rips all of Lil Baby’s beats.

Ive said it 100 times...trap beats combined with someone who can really spit is the GOAT combo. No idea why every lyric rapper gets fart sounds for beats. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had the album That’s What They All Say (Jack Harlow) on my phone for a while because of What’s Poppin. Never listened to it until today trying to delete some shit off my hard drive and it’s actually pretty good lol. Went in expecting a bunch of filler surrounding 2 decent songs and it grew on me a lot after starting slow. Not life changing but glad I gave him a chance. 

Kept 8/15 songs

Edited by Vhozite
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Nas winning a Grammy is long overdue 

It is but if we are giving out Grammy’s just as lifetime achievement awards why even nominate an album? I don’t like this for the same reason I don’t like when NBA refs give obvious make-up calls after they made a shit call in the other direction. How about the Grammys stop shitting on hip hop instead of giving out an award that is clearly little more than a participation trophy for one of the greats?

In other news I’ve been listening to lots of new music. 

- Shiesty Season is probably my favorite album of the year so far. Great features, great beats, it slaps. Kept like 80% of the album for my 2021 playlist. 

- I tried listening to Lil Durk’s *The Voice* and it’s one of those albums where I don’t like a lot of the songs but the ones I do like I really fuck with. He sings more than I expected and his voice can be very hit or miss depending on the song. But overall i still like it and will definitely check out his projects in the future. Amazing Von feature on Still Trappin and Durk combos well with Pooh Shiesty on this album and Shiesty Season. 

- “Only the Geneals II” by Kevin Gates starts strong and ends strong but the middle is really nothing to write home about. If you like Kevin Gates it’s decent but if you don’t then don’t bother. 

- “Judas and the Black Messiah: The Inspired Album” has something for everyone since it’s basically a big collab. You got Jay-Z, ASAP Rocky, G Herbo, Nipsey Hussle, and more. First half started off pretty weak but basically everything 10 and higher is heat. 

- “Scary Hours 2” by Drake. Honestly not bad, but not as good as I was expecting listening to the hype and looking at the charts. Adding 2/3 songs to the rotation but Drake can do better (but I guess doesn’t need to). Baby verse was ok but again overhyped. 

- “The Plugs I Met II” by Benny the Butcher. Went in with no one expectations since I’ve seen Benny’s name around but never listened to his music. All in all it was pretty good, tho really not what I was expecting from someone called “the Butcher” lol. Might check him out in the future. 2 Chainz was pretty good...had no idea he was still around. 

- “PLAYBOY” by Tory Lanez: My 2nd favorite release of the year. Not sure if it’s really good or I just enjoyed it because a lot of the lyrics are weirdly relatable to my life rn. But either way between this and DAYSTAR from last year I plan on checking for him way more.

- “Break Yoself” and  “Really Like That” by G Herbo: I usually don’t bother with singles unless it’s from someone I really like and Herb solidified himself as one of my current top 5 rappers with these tracks. Not much more to say other than I love this dudes music and I can’t remember the last time I heard a verse from him I didn’t like. I pray to god he doesn’t get locked up. 

- “Up” by Cardi B: pretty standard track from her I just wanted to say I wish it was more socially acceptable for women to openly be this vulgar and nasty lol

Edit for some more negative takes: 

- “Neighborhood Hov” by Neek Bucks: Terrible rappity rap. Only listened to it because of the Herb feature. One of the most boring and forgettable albums I’ve ever heard...I had to Google the name despite the fact I listened to it literally yesterday. By year end I won’t even remember this guys name. 

- “NEW DREAM” by Al-Doms: Not to be rude but I hate this guys voice. Turned the album off halfway through. Great album art tho. 

Edited by Vhozite