Stage Select

The Fitness Thread

I have been trying to lean up and not lose any strength and so far I am doing pretty good.  I have lose 13-14 lbs since mid/late February.  I'm trying to lose like 1-1.5 pound a week and have been pretty on pace for that.  I went from 218 and am now 204 as of Thursday.  I want to see how I am feeling/looking if I get to 200.  I have lost VERY minimal strength but I have also changed up my routine a bit to do reps slower on the eccentric which meant I had to drop weight in most of them to keep my form in check when doing slow eccentric lifts.  I do feel like it's been better doing it that way and I am noticing my joints and stuff feel much better and my nagging injuries have gotten better since then.

Aside from my normal lifting routine which is monday - thursday, I am doing LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio friday - sunday for 25 mins on my treadmill at home.  I put it on 12 incline at 3.0mph and walk for 25 mins.  I've been eating much cleaner as well recently and lowered my carb intake quite a bit from what it was prior.  

On 6/8/2024 at 10:54 PM, purbeast said:

I have been trying to lean up and not lose any strength and so far I am doing pretty good.  I have lose 13-14 lbs since mid/late February.  I'm trying to lose like 1-1.5 pound a week and have been pretty on pace for that.  I went from 218 and am now 204 as of Thursday.  I want to see how I am feeling/looking if I get to 200.  I have lost VERY minimal strength but I have also changed up my routine a bit to do reps slower on the eccentric which meant I had to drop weight in most of them to keep my form in check when doing slow eccentric lifts.  I do feel like it's been better doing it that way and I am noticing my joints and stuff feel much better and my nagging injuries have gotten better since then.

Aside from my normal lifting routine which is monday - thursday, I am doing LISS (low intensity steady state) cardio friday - sunday for 25 mins on my treadmill at home.  I put it on 12 incline at 3.0mph and walk for 25 mins.  I've been eating much cleaner as well recently and lowered my carb intake quite a bit from what it was prior.  

Very impressive!

2 hours ago, Haldol616 said:

I can shoulder press a 50 pound dumbbell with one arm 4 times. I can curl a 40 pound dumbbell with one arm 3 times. I can tricep extend a 30 pound dumbbell with one arm 1 time.

Not sure what your goals are, but keep at it.  I would suggest doing weights that you can get at least 6-8 reps of and are going close to failure.  It's okay to try and do heavier with lighter reps every now and then though, but I'd only do 1 set of those when doing an exercise.

50lb dumbell shoulder presses used to be my working sets of 6-8 years back but now my first warmup set is 55lb dumbells 8 times.   It just takes time to build up so stick with it.

I'm not sure what exercise you mean by "tricep extensions" but are you referring to sitting down and holding them behind your head, and pushing them up over your head?

47 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Not sure what your goals are, but keep at it.  I would suggest doing weights that you can get at least 6-8 reps of and are going close to failure.  It's okay to try and do heavier with lighter reps every now and then though, but I'd only do 1 set of those when doing an exercise.

50lb dumbell shoulder presses used to be my working sets of 6-8 years back but now my first warmup set is 55lb dumbells 8 times.   It just takes time to build up so stick with it.

I'm not sure what exercise you mean by "tricep extensions" but are you referring to sitting down and holding them behind your head, and pushing them up over your head?

While standing up. I just want to get stronger, faster, and more defined.

Edited by Haldol616

I've got a WHOOP band. It's awesome. Still calibrating completely, but I'm learning a lot about my body. It turns out I burn a lot more calories than I thought, by betwen 200-400. Still, I am gaining weight. That means that I am not tracking my calories properly! I need to cut harder.

Anybody else use a fitness tracker/wearable that isn't the Apple Watch? I already asked on the very cool MS Discord I run, but I'd love to hear your takes too.

On 6/8/2024 at 11:26 PM, Dayaan said:

Update? I've taken to paused incline pushups on my parallettes. Tough!

I've slacked off. I got back to 600 in day, got busy at work, and that was that. It was a lot easier to do when I spent my whole day at my cublcle instead of just half. I'm at a crossroads honestly. Do I want two more decades or 3 to 4 more decades? If I don't tighten up, it's going to be the former.

15 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I've slacked off. I got back to 600 in day, got busy at work, and that was that. It was a lot easier to do when I spent my whole day at my cublcle instead of just half. I'm at a crossroads honestly. Do I want two more decades or 3 to 4 more decades? If I don't tighten up, it's going to be the former.

How old are you? I think you might be a victim of social media and celebrity deaths, assuming you're not living with an organ or blood condition.

Life is pretty easy, and it will get easier as time goes on (in comparison to our ancestors). You could live up to your 90s fairly easily if you have a protein-based diet that supplements with vegetables and fruits occasionally with a good amount of grain. You also need proper hydration, and studies show that drinking water when you are thirsty is more than enough to constitute good hydration. Regular resistance training in the form of calisthenics and/or weightlifting, along with 30 mins/week of zone 2 cardio is recommended as well. Regular stretching at mornings keeps you limber enough for all of life's responsibilities, even in your 90s.

As for mental health, modulating your physical life will determine how and what hormones are released in your mind and you can regulate what you think by what you do, in large part. Meditation shows similar results to ketamine as far as ego dissociation and depression management go, and is far less damaging to you. Religion seems to help people. Companionship too.

I'm happy to link sources if you need.

In summary, you can live to your 90s with regular resistance training, semi-regular cardio, hydration, protein-weighted balanced nutrition, regular reflection and some form of fulfillment either in a career, relationship, or both.

We're surrounded a lot by young deaths and are inundated with the idea that we need to be at our best level to live as long as possible. Being in your best shape is almost always a good thing and you should go for it. I just doubt that you need to measure how long you have left against what activities you do now unless you're so extraordinarily unhealthy and/or have a condition that predisposes you to an early death. Even then, I do, and I am confident I'll live a long life because I track the basics. Modern life is pretty cool in that regard.

Things I try to keep in mind for health:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

How old are you? I think you might be a victim of social media and celebrity deaths, assuming you're not living with an organ or blood condition.

Life is pretty easy, and it will get easier as time goes on (in comparison to our ancestors). You could live up to your 90s fairly easily if you have a protein-based diet that supplements with vegetables and fruits occasionally with a good amount of grain. You also need proper hydration, and studies show that drinking water when you are thirsty is more than enough to constitute good hydration. Regular resistance training in the form of calisthenics and/or weightlifting, along with 30 mins/week of zone 2 cardio is recommended as well. Regular stretching at mornings keeps you limber enough for all of life's responsibilities, even in your 90s.

As for mental health, modulating your physical life will determine how and what hormones are released in your mind and you can regulate what you think by what you do, in large part. Meditation shows similar results to ketamine as far as ego dissociation and depression management go, and is far less damaging to you. Religion seems to help people. Companionship too.

I'm happy to link sources if you need.

In summary, you can live to your 90s with regular resistance training, semi-regular cardio, hydration, protein-weighted balanced nutrition, regular reflection and some form of fulfillment either in a career, relationship, or both.

We're surrounded a lot by young deaths and are inundated with the idea that we need to be at our best level to live as long as possible. Being in your best shape is almost always a good thing and you should go for it. I just doubt that you need to measure how long you have left against what activities you do now unless you're so extraordinarily unhealthy and/or have a condition that predisposes you to an early death. Even then, I do, and I am confident I'll live a long life because I track the basics. Modern life is pretty cool in that regard.

1) Hydration

2) Physical fitness (through calisthenics)

3) Cardio

4) Skincare

5) Hair (scalp, facial, body)

6) Diet

7) Supplements (creatine and protein)

😎 Sleep (length and quality)

9) Deliberate cold exposure (cold showers/cold plunge)

10) Screen time management

11) Extremely low social media usage

12) YouTube content quality and length

13) Reading books with alternating levels of difficulty

14) Hobbies

15) Journaling

Ultimately, my goal is to address my biggest issue, which is that I have some hormonal imbalances that affect how I think. If I don't think the right way, I'll never get anything done. As such, I manage my mind by forcing it to release certain chemicals, and I do this by doing things that induce those releases. I try to treat myself so I never have to use medication. It's not an exhaustive list, but it's things that keep me happy while also being productive. I've omitted entertainment things for the most part, but I've also omitted work things. It's just stuff I do extracurricularly that can't be classified as work or play but that bring up my confidence.

The regular gym routine has been such a great thing in life; I'd say it's always a good general recommendation for anyone in life, really....I started at this place in early 2020 (heh, right before the pandemic shut everything down for a while)...at first I only did weekends but I've been on their "ultimate" plan for quite a while now, able to go as much as I want per month.

I was going to just lay around playing games on my day off yesterday but once again I was in there burning crazy calories----had 3 classes since work wasn't "in the way" yesterday; total burn was over 2,300 something.  There's also a leaderboard so that gave me some valuable points in terms of the rankings.

Update:

I had unbelievable amounts of fun. Took my brother and played on the kiddie hoop for a bit, then our parents picked us up for ice cream. I didn't get any since there's delicious food at home. Then I forced our parents to come back to the court with us and our mom sat on the sidelines and I played on the full size hoop with my father.

I actually got to play ball with my father!

What an awesome experience. I forgot how saucy I was. Behind the back layups took a second but I got there. We just played HORSE since everyone in my family gets gassed going up our stairs, but I still had a good, heart-thumping time.

On 6/20/2024 at 8:59 PM, Dayaan said:

Update:

I had unbelievable amounts of fun. Took my brother and played on the kiddie hoop for a bit, then our parents picked us up for ice cream. I didn't get any since there's delicious food at home. Then I forced our parents to come back to the court with us and our mom sat on the sidelines and I played on the full size hoop with my father.

I actually got to play ball with my father!

What an awesome experience. I forgot how saucy I was. Behind the back layups took a second but I got there. We just played HORSE since everyone in my family gets gassed going up our stairs, but I still had a good, heart-thumping time.

Went out with my brother again yesterday and came home aching and sore. He took a break, and while he was on the swings I hit the full size rim and went to work drilling and working on form. Unfortunately, the net on the rim was super tight, and every layup led to the ball getting stuck. I spent all my energy getting my short ass high enough to tap the ball out of the net and back down to the floor. It really takes a lot out of you to take a running start and get your max height jump every 45 seconds.

A nice dad came over and asked me if I need help after I got the ball stuck for the 100th time, and I had to tell him that I've been at it for an hour and just need a moment to recharge before getting it. After that, he watched as I jumped... and missed. He started walking over and, sensing that my manly power levels were depleting, I made the jump and got the sumbitch down, and kept going.

It was only 29C-30C outside today. Warm, but not Middle East hot. Still, the sun was bloody merciless, and in 45 minutes of game time, I burned 500+ calories. Matter of fact, I was all alone. I wasn't even in a game. Just doing drills and shooting. It was irritatingly windy as well, so from the right side of the hoop I was finishing like Westbrook at the Lakers, and on the left I was pulling up like '96 Jordan. Super inconsistent.

Luckily, my left handed handles are getting better, but I can't finish on fast breaks with my left. It's really tough out here!

I had to take my little brother home after about 10 minutes of training him because he was ready to throw up from the heat, and that's when I came back to play on my own. Two guys I played yesterday in a 2v1 were there when I got on the court, and by the time I was done running suicides to warm up, they ran off. I was pretty mad about that. I'd prefer to train with defence, but oh well. 

Came home and logged my data, then did some calisthenics and took a 2C-3C shower. Now I'm going to meditate and journal, and head to sleep early per my recovery recommendations, and take it easy tomorrow. I have 4 hours of sleep debt to catch up on.