Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah... Same here. But I'll never forget when I entered a tournament, set my buttons wrong, lost the first match cause my buttons were fucked, then I tried to fix them and somehow made them worse. 

Never again. 

Well, at the same time, you should be checking your buttons anyway, in case the player in front of you changed them.

Wouldn’t have bothered but something about the default setup feels really weird for me...

you know what it is, it’s that my ring finger isn’t doing anything. In MK, which is a 4 button fighter, at least my ring was on block. It feels weird only having four buttons crammed on the left side when you have more space the work with

11 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sorry, but i need to ask, didnt you button check?

Or where you nervous for being a tournament match that you didnt notice?

Bruh, it was a litany of failures.

It was a MVCI tournament and button map is tied to L1/LB in that game in the character select. I was running a 6 button stick that didn't have an L1 button, so we had to back out and set them in the options menu. Then the guy I was with realized after button checks that he didn't like his layout, and he ALSO didn't have a L1 button, so we had to back all the way out to the main menu again. I think I fucked up my buttons when we went back into that menu, and I realized it as soon as we started the match, but I thought that I could, like, 'figure it out'. 

SO, as soon as the game ended I told him my buttons were fucked up still, he sorta laughed and then let out a big sigh. 

I felt so fucking bad that I didn't ask for a button check cause I didn't want to go all the way back out to the menu if they were messed up 🤣

Edit: Actually, I think the first game it was something minor like my tag button and stone button were switched, and I felt so dumb going to the menu again that I ended up fucking everything up lol 

Edited by KingTubb
9 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Double post!

I see what you're saying, and I used to put a lot of thought into my layouts.  but I've come to realize, unless a layout is completely opposed to the way my brain processes information, default layouts end up feeling comfortable for me after one or two decent sessions. 

I totally agree with that.

I usually go for default.

But there are some cases like BB, BBTAG, and other 3 button games where i make a little change and left all those games with a little change to have a default layout for all of them, lol.

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Bruh, it was a litany of failures.

It was a MVCI tournament and button map is tied to L1/LB in that game in the character select. I was running a 6 button stick that didn't have an L1 button, so we had to back out and set them in the options menu. Then the guy I was with realized after button checks that he didn't like his layout, and he ALSO didn't have a L1 button, so we had to back all the way out to the main menu again. I think I fucked up my buttons when we went back into that menu, and I realized it as soon as we started the match, but I thought that I could, like, 'figure it out'. 

SO, as soon as the game ended I told him my buttons were fucked up still, he sorta laughed and then let out a big sigh. 

I felt so fucking bad that I didn't ask for a button check cause I didn't want to go all the way back out to the menu if they were messed up 🤣

Edit: Actually, I think the first game it was something minor like my tag button and stone button were switched, and I felt so dumb going to the menu again that I ended up fucking everything up lol 

Yeah, but, doesnt MVCI have a way to config the buttons mid match like other games so you can change them and check them on the button check phase most matches have before they start?

3 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I ain’t gonna check, but I’m like 99% sure it doesn’t. I remember both of us being dumbfounded that it didn’t 

Wow, I know that some people love the game, and that is fine.

But is like every time i learn something new about it, it amazes me some more on why the game was such a failure 🤣

Nothing screams budget game like not having standard functionalities implemented on it.

I think that the only game i know that was like that was MK9, and that game was because NRS loves making everything backwards for some reason.

19 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

For you guys that have six or eight button sticks, what’s your time button layout? 

just the default?

AB

DC

I’m wondering how the following would be:

ABC

D

I go

Top row: A B C D

Bottom row: (AB) (CD) with the last two unmapped 

The buttons are fairly responsive and I don't really use the macros I have programmed but it's nice to have them 

I could probably do either tomorrow or Saturday by I think Hecatom has to work Saturday but of he wants in and wants to let us know what's better we can decide. But if he's not playing then we can go for Saturday if you like 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I go

Top row: A B C D

Bottom row: (AB) (CD) with the last two unmapped 

The buttons are fairly responsive and I don't really use the macros I have programmed but it's nice to have them 

I could probably do either tomorrow or Saturday by I think Hecatom has to work Saturday but of he wants in and wants to let us know what's better we can decide. But if he's not playing then we can go for Saturday if you like 

Sadly, as it is now, i have a shift that forces me to wrok on sundays and saturdays, with my free days being on wednesday and tuesdays 😢

Also, i am out of my shift at 7 PM PDT, which is at 9 pm on my end, but i can spend from that time onwards playing, every day so i am always open to play.

The problem would be if that is too late for some.

27 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Sadly, as it is now, i have a shift that forces me to wrok on sundays and saturdays, with my free days being on wednesday and tuesdays 😢

Also, i am out of my shift at 7 PM PDT, which is at 9 pm on my end, but i can spend from that time onwards playing, every day so i am always open to play.

The problem would be if that is too late for some.

7pm pdt is 10pm for me, which yeah is too late during the week, but it’s fine for me on Fridays or Saturdays. I’m not sure about tomorrow though - had some stuff come up, but I’ll let you guys know

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

7pm pdt is 10pm for me, which yeah is too late during the week, but it’s fine for me on Fridays or Saturdays. I’m not sure about tomorrow though - had some stuff come up, but I’ll let you guys know

Lemme know, I think I could do Saturday if you still want to play. 

And Hecatom, let me know a few days in advance when you want to play and I'll try to make it happen. Stuffs been all wacky since we got back from holidays. I'm on US Central Time which I think is the same as what you're on and that hour would probably work for me. 

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Lemme know, I think I could do Saturday if you still want to play. 

And Hecatom, let me know a few days in advance when you want to play and I'll try to make it happen. Stuffs been all wacky since we got back from holidays. I'm on US Central Time which I think is the same as what you're on and that hour would probably work for me. 

If you mean CST, then yeah we are at the same time window.

Ok, if you want we can try saturday, to give you time to organize XD

I can tomorrow as well, but it would be a bit later than 9PM since i am watching Wandavision with my younger siblings at my sister's house 😅

I have this pit in my stomach that y'all are going to lounge up tonight and only tonight this weekend. The PS4 is the only DVD player in the how that can read my wife's copy of "Ann of Green Gables" and she's told me all week she wants to watch it on Friday. 

It wouldn't hurt so bad if Ann of Green Gables didn't suck so much. Sorry, Frames, I know it's a Canadian national treasure or whatever, but that show sucks eggs. 

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Cause it’s Canadian, I have to like it? Yeah it sucks. Throw Celine Dion and Drake in that pile too.

I may play tonight (I’m not sure, had some bad news and I may just take it easy and lab if anything).

Lol, I didn't think you actually liked it. People shit on the US all the time, so I gotta take pot shots on y'all whenever I can. 

Hope everything well and good, homie. Take care of you and yours 

Edited by KingTubb
4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

So, how the hell you do you get SSMs to connect? is it only likely to hit as a punish after some really, really unsafe moves (like -30)?

Depends on the character, but is susually hard reads and punishers, at least for the chars i play.

Depending on the Supers, they have a different utility than other games like SF.

For example, Iroha WFT can be comboed from stuff like 4K into WFT, but her SSM is a grab with a big startup and a big recovery, so you have to commit to do it.

I guess they have those weird properties since they are not tied to a meter and well, to keep with the whole Bushido theme the game has, lol.

Yeah, Haohmaru can confirm into WFT from a few buttons, which is nice.

He seems like he can hit SSM after a successful deflect (you could at launch but need to lab to see if it still works), or to punish blocked DPs or else something stupidly unsafe. I can’t imagine hitting that in neutral, and you can’t combo into it... you can recoil cancel into it, but it’s not like it’s invulnerable or anything, so you’ll likely get stuffed if they do press a button.

Edited by Mattatsu
24 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, Haohmaru can confirm into WFT from a few buttons, which is nice.

He seems like he can hit SSM after a successful deflect (you could at launch but need to lab to see if it still works), or to punish blocked DPs or else something stupidly unsafe. I can’t imagine hitting that in neutral, and you can’t combo into it... you can recoil cancel into it, but it’s not like it’s invulnerable or anything, so you’ll likely get stuffed if they do press a button.

Most characters can land the SSM after a deflect, but keep in mind that they can always do a Rage Explossion to burst out from the damage in that scenario.

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Most characters can land the SSM after a deflect, but keep in mind that they can always do a Rage Explossion to burst out from the damage in that scenario.

Makes sense... I wouldn’t have thought of that though, so thanks!

Edited by Mattatsu

GGs guys! Sorry i had to dip like that mid-match. I was hoping could get ome more match in, especially when i saw I was about to fight hecatom for the first time but then my wife started screaming at me to bathe our cat lol.

anyways, i really do love this game. The connections were fine other than the odd desyncs. I’m definitely down for playing tomorrow night (and i should have more time tomorrow as well)