Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Basara is scary af. That will probably be the first matchup I lab. I have no idea what to do against him

That's actually a favorable matchup for Haoh, especially if the Basara player doesn't know how to cover his projectile attacks. Giving Basara space is what lets him run his bullshit and if he can't do that, it makes it hard for him, so don't give him room. Look for openings to punish puff ball and his projectile blades with your 5C and don't be hesitant to just throw out a 5C but be ready to recoil cancel it just in case. A couple of those will really melt Bas' life gauge because he takes worse than most characters. 

3 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Y’all are playing tonight too, right?

That's the plan!

Edited by DoctaMario
4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Y’all are playing tonight too, right?

Damn fucking right.

Honestly, i love this game. I may even like it more than 3S (though maybe it’s different cause it’s still new to me). I love the pace of it, and I’m also having a hard time finding any type of mechanic I disagree with, which is very rare for me. Plus, I love ancient japanese themes (samurais and ninjas), so yeah, this game feels like it was made for me.

i’m going to be playing this a lot, and am looking forward to tonight.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

That's actually a favorable matchup for Haoh, especially if the Basara player doesn't know how to cover his projectile attacks. Giving Basara space is what lets him run his bullshit and if he can't do that, it makes it hard for him, so don't give him room. Look for openings to punish puff ball and his projectile blades with your 5C and don't be hesitant to just throw out a 5C but be ready to recoil cancel it just in case. A couple of those will really melt Bas' life gauge because he takes worse than most characters. 

Thanks!

yeah, i kinda figured the way to deal with him was to get in, but you were doing a very good job at preventing that lol.

I don’t think i even thought of using 5C either because there was always so much shit on the screen lol.

I also need to work on remembering about recoil cancelling. I’m never prepared for it off 5C because I think of 5C as a poke only so I’m not thinking of doing any sort of cancel off it... I’ll get there though.

Edited by Mattatsu
29 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Thanks!

yeah, i kinda figured the way to deal with him was to get in, but you were doing a very good job at preventing that lol.

I don’t think i even thought of using 5C either because there was always so much shit on the screen lol.

I also need to work on remembering about recoil cancelling. I’m never prepared for it off 5C because I think of 5C as a poke only so I’m not thinking of doing any sort of cancel off it... I’ll get there though.

That's Basara's game. If he knocks you down or gets you to keep your distance, you're going to be playing his game until you can knock him off balance and 5C has the reach to be able to do that, you just have to make reads to be able to interrupt his projectiles. If you hit him while he's throwing his blades, the blades will disappear. 

And yeah, the recoil cancelling off 5C is a major part of Haoh's game, especially because a lot of how well the matchup goes for him depends on how often he can hit 5C in many cases, and if you can make it safer for yourself by RCing into tornado or dp, it'll at least make them trepidatious about trying to punish your attempts. Btw you also RC into deflect as well. 

Edited by DoctaMario
5 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Welp, 2 things

I saved some of the matches, but all of them have me and my friends talking over them, so now i cant upload them -_-

Today i was assigned an extra day off, so i can play earlier today 🙂

Upload them anyway lol

I uploaded a video of me playing Vs Tetris that I screen recorded with my phone but unbeknownst to me, it recorded audio with the phone's mic too even though I had the volume muted, and there was my family talking in the background. I wouldn't have known it if not for someone making an asshole comment about it on YT 😂

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I haven't followed this game for a while so how's the meta looking? Last time I was in the thick of it Shizumaru was dominating. Is he still that good? 

It hasn't changed much.

Maybe that now more people agree that other chars are very strong as Shizu.

The newest free char is very strong.

While there arent offline events, there are some lads that keep the game alive with online weeklies.

https://www.youtube.com/c/EastLondonFighters/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/angelapickles

https://www.youtube.com/user/MWolfy76700/videos

The quality of the matches can vary, but there are tournaments going on with certain regularity

2 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Upload them anyway lol

I uploaded a video of me playing Vs Tetris that I screen recorded with my phone but unbeknownst to me, it recorded audio with the phone's mic too even though I had the volume muted, and there was my family talking in the background. I wouldn't have known it if not for someone making an asshole comment about it on YT 😂

Ok, just be aware, i was drinking and talking dumb shit in spanish with my friends XD

I am starting to upload the matches, but i will need to edit the videos so they are only the fights

I uploaded one already, the one that didnt much edit.

The changes will take some time to get visible, so for now it will have the extra time on the lobby at the start 😕

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Ok, just be aware, i was drinking and talking dumb shit in spanish with my friends XD

I am starting to upload the matches, but i will need to edit the videos so they are only the fights

I uploaded one already, the one that didnt much edit.

The changes will take some time to get visible, so for now it will have the extra time on the lobby at the start 😕

That diving slash Iroha does takes a fucking ridiculous amount of life, at least for Bas. 😔

48 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Well, the dissadvantage is that unlike other HS this one doesnt have recoil, so if i throw it at the wrong time i left myself open to get fucked, lol.

Ahh that's her Hard slash? I guess the upside to that is that it also probably can't be deflected though, right?  So that's one less thing you have to worry about 

Edited by DoctaMario
36 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Ahh that's her Hard slash? I guess the upside to that is that it also probably can't be deflected though, right?  So that's one less thing you have to worry about 

I think that yeah, it cant be deflected, if timed right can go over lows and grounded projectiles, but as a drawback, it doesnt have recoil, and well, she doesnt have any running normals.

I get it lol. When you first get into it, the three different supers, and how they interact with the rage meter (or don’t) and various commands get confusing. And actually, yeah, WFT was the last one i learned, but now its the one i use the most. Going into training and learning which buttons could cancel into it, and labbing those confirms really helped me

Edited by Mattatsu