Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

I have to leave guys. It’s been fun.

Some tips since everyone is relearning stuff.

A blocked or whiffed WFT can be punished with an SSM. Be careful when using them. 

You can rage burst after a guard break/throw. I felt this needed pointing out since @KingTubb almost died after getting thrown.

Shiki’s SSM has the distinction of tracking someone. Be careful to not throw a projectile full screen against her. 

If you have the blood setting on, you can tell when Basara throws a clone since that would have no blood on it.

Don’t be afraid to go in on Basara. He can’t set up his game if you’re too close.

@Mattatsu You can get an easy WFT confirm with Haoh with 66B into it. 

Edited by BornWinner
58 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

If you have the blood setting on, you can tell when Basara throws a clone since that would have no blood on it.

Don’t be afraid to go in on Basara. He can’t set up his game if you’re too close.

This man giving away all my secrets... 🥴  Everyone turn your blood off, think of the children! 

Sorry it tagged you Mattatsu, it won't let me delete the tag. Maybe @misterBee can fix it?

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Definitely couldn’t hahaha

sorry, didn’t know you wanted to VC

No, it’s all good. My wife bought me a headset for christmas and i havent tried it on ps4 yet and was curious about it because of the voice chat icon on the screen. not sure why it wasn’t working hough because the icon would change when i talked.

Edited by Mattatsu

Hecatom when do you think you'll be around? I can wait for a bit but not if its too long

edit: sorry, i’m going to call it a night after all. My wife has to wake up early, so i might as well take this time to crawl into bed while she's still awake

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

The connections last night were surprisingly fine.

i really hate myself for getting into this game so late. I’m really loving it so far.

I think it's typical delay netcode stuff, location, quality of connection, etc. I have historically had a really good experience with the netcode in this game even connecting to Japan and Europe although but I can see how it's pretty idiosyncratic. 

I went through some of our matches last night and put my eight favourite ones into a video, if anyone is interested.

These are more for me, but the clips i picked were mostly because there were a couple cool interactions in there, or I made some mistakes and want to review. I don’t win all of these. Also, sorry KingTubb, i forgot to save the footage from our last matches so I don't have anything with Tam Tam or Darli.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I went through some of our matches last night and put my eight favourite ones into a video, if anyone is interested.

These are more for me, but the clips i picked were mostly because there were a couple cool interactions in there, or I made some mistakes and want to review. I don’t win all of these. Also, sorry KingTubb, i forgot to save the footage from our last matches so I don't have anything with Tam Tam or Darli.

That bit in our match where you did a backhit A slash into WFT was nice. Backhit combos are a big part of advanced SamShoIV and  5 Special but I haven't investigated them at all in this game and you reminded me about them with that bit. 

6 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

The connections last night were surprisingly fine.

i really hate myself for getting into this game so late. I’m really loving it so far.

I think many people got scared by the talks about the netcode. 

Like i said before, many people assume by default that not having rollback immediately means the netcode is garbage, and while the netcode of the game does indeed have its deficiencies, when it works is more than serviceable. 

It has room to improve, of course, but i think people should be more willing to give the game a try, since networking issues are not as black and white as they like to think. 

Btw, not saying it was your case, but is something that it has been for a lot of people. 

43 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

not saying it was your case, but is something that it has been for a lot of people. 

I’ll admit I was in that camp tbh. I was worried the netcode was going to be awful so I didn’t want to buy it at launch.

At the time, having a solid rollback and a large playerbase were the most important things I looked for, even above gameplay.

that’s stupid I know, and I don’t think the same way now, but I did a year and a half ago.

Edited by Mattatsu
5 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ll admit I was in that camp tbh. I was worried the netcode was going to be awful so I didn’t want to buy it at launch.

Judging by your points last night and that the ranked is completely dead, you haven’t played many if any randoms online. 

this game’s netcode is trash. 1 outta 3 ranked matches were serviceable, most were unplayable 

Edit:just saw that you played your first rank set. I tried earlier this week and couldn’t get a bite. But I stand by what I said above, the netcode sucked butt when I was playing this when it dropped. 

I’m not trying to say “delay bad!” But this game’s netcode didn’t work for me the majority of the time. BBTAG and DBFZ had better net play experiences 

Edited by KingTubb

So, i set my options wide open, just to see what ranked matchmaking was like while i was in training: i set opponent’s rank to “any” and region “all”. My only filter was the connection had to be 3 and up, as I figured the only level 3 connections would be somewhat close anyway.

anyways, i got matched up, like instantly, against a “Samurai God” rank from the US, and the connection seemed great.

i may have gotten lucky, but next time i will change my opponent’s rank to “similar” (or whatever the option is), just to see how long it takes to find anyone.

Edited by Mattatsu
22 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I finally managed to play the goddamn game (last time was week 1) thanks to parsec.

If anyone doesn't own the game but wants to play on PC I'll be happy to host it.

Gonna have my new gaming laptop on the weekend, hopefully. 

We can try playing when i finally have have a decent pc to play games, lol

You don't even need to have the game if we use Parsec, let alone a good PC xD

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

It’s a fun game, ain’t it?

what’s the playerbase/matchmaking like on PC? Not that i have a PC that can run this, but just curious

Yeah I have always had a soft spot for SamSho, but V special has none of the characters I really like.

As per the PC matchmaking

spacer.png

It doesn't help that the connection indicator is absolutely fucked and that for some reason the game thinks I'm in the USA instead of Asia

8 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

You don't even need to have the game if we use Parsec, let alone a good PC xD

Yeah I have always had a soft spot for SamSho, but V special has none of the characters I really like.

As per the PC matchmaking

spacer.png

It doesn't help that the connection indicator is absolutely fucked and that for some reason the game thinks I'm in the USA instead of Asia

I think that a huge reason of why Samsho is a desert on PC is because is on the Epic store exclussively at the moment, and a lot of PC beggers are either waiting for the Steam release, or already gave up on the game and consider not buying it even if it comes to steam because they feel insulted that they had to buy anywhere else besides steam XD

Edit

Could it be that your account on the Epic store has USA as its country and that is why your game thinks you are on USA?

Edited by Hecatom

Just played my second ranked set and this time I chose to fight an opponent at a similar rank, allowed for any region, but the connection had to be level 3 and up, and again, found someone like right away, and the connection seemed fine to me.

i would like there to be a delay indicator so i know how off it is, but it always feels like it’s under 6 frames to me, as that’s when i start to notice it in other games.

also, i kinda wish you lost points for a loss in ranked. The guy i fought was 5th Dan, but had like a 17% win rate and I beat him 7-1... i don't mind because i likely got more points from those wins, but it always makes “rank” kinda pointless. I’ve just been picking it these last two nights because you can search for matches while in training, but it’s never really taken long enough to where it mattered.

10 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I think that a huge reason of why Samsho is a desert on PC is because is on the Epic store exclussively at the moment, and a lot of PC beggers are either waiting for the Steam release, or already gave up on the game and consider not buying it even if it comes to steam because they feel insulted that they had to buy anywhere else besides steam XD

Edit

Could it be that your account on the Epic store has USA as its country and that is why your game thinks you are on USA?

Yeah being on the Epic store and coming to PC over a friggin' year after the console release were quite the one two combo.

As per why the game thinks I am in the USA, it is a well known bug that fucked over day one buyers on EGS, a lot of people all over the world got it.

Fixing it clearly wasn't as important as releasing Warden and Gongsun Li. To this day I Tweet at KrispyKaiser to annoy him about it daily.

11 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Well that really isn't accurate at all. SNK straight up lied about the PC release of the game. They said the PC release wasn't going to be exclusive. Then they went radio silent put on Stadia version and then they put the game out a year late on the Epic store exclusively. So honestly they got what they deserve. Showing up late after lying to your customer base isn't exactly a way to garner sales. 

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Well that really isn't accurate at all. SNK straight up lied about the PC release of the game. They said the PC release wasn't going to be exclusive. Then they went radio silent put on Stadia version and then they put the game out a year late on the Epic store exclusively. So honestly they got what they deserve. Showing up late after lying to your customer base isn't exactly a way to garner sales. 

They didn't get what they deserve, the game had made the money back before it even launched on console. So the only people that truly got shafted are the PC players