Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

22 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Well, there's been a upsurge in interest after the announcement. Even I'm thinking of picking it up soon despite the bad for now netcode. 

But my time is already stretched so thin..

You could learn a character in less than a half hour if that, there isn't tons to learn in this game from an individual character perspective. It's more matchup based.

The netcode isn't bad providing your connection isn't cut rate which is the problem with some of the NA and Europe players.

Edited by DoctaMario

The fact that all my tech is day 1 tech and I can play against people who play more regularly says a lot of how easy this game is to get into and how little commitment you need to have to be able to play it at decent level.

Also, dunno what happened with just playing fgs for fun, but nowdays people think they need to grind to enjoy the games, specially those who can be played just casually among other people that play it casually too.

Edited by Hecatom
14 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The fact that all my tech is day 1 tech and I can play against people who play more regularly says a lot of how easy this game is to get into and how little commitment you need to have to be able to play it at decent level.

Also, dunno what happened with just playing fgs for fun, but nowdays people think they need to grind to enjoy the games, specially those who can be played just casually among other people that play it casually too.

I've been at a point where if I grind, it's hard to have fun with a game. But most games you need to do some labwork to not get rocked unless the people you're playing with aren't labbing either. 

But yeah, this game really take very little work to get into, especially if you're just planning on playing casually.

That’s one thing I love about this game. I won’t play it for a few months and then pick it up for an hour and feel like I’m back to where I need to be… it doesn’t hurt that I took extensive notes when I was labbing it initially.

I also just love the more straight-forward nature of it. Very fun to play and powerful hits/combos are so satisfying.

but yeah, I’m sure at a high level you need to put in more work, but when my heavy slash does 40%, I’m good without it 😆

4 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I've been at a point where if I grind, it's hard to have fun with a game. But most games you need to do some labwork to not get rocked unless the people you're playing with aren't labbing either. 

But yeah, this game really take very little work to get into, especially if you're just planning on playing casually.

My point is mostly about playing certain games for casual fun.
I have a number of games for example that I only play them when a cousin comes to my house to play fgs, that we only touch on those gatherings and still have a blast playing them with our unoptimized tech 🤣

I know that due the nature of fgs, is unavoidable that some will require more time in training mode/more matchup experience than others.

But is not like you can have a number of games that require less time/effort to have as part of your rotation to have variety.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:39 AM, DoctaMario said:

I don't think rollback will attract many new players. The people who want to play will play and the ones who are on SF6 will play that.

Lack of rollback and/or timing really has nothing to do with it.  SamSho is simply a niche FG within an already niche gaming genre, it will never attract the crowds that the big hitters can - just like Soul Calibur.  Personally I'm overjoyed that they added my main Hibiki from TLB2 to SamSho - an unexpected but most welcome surprise.

2 hours ago, FightDirty said:

Lack of rollback and/or timing really has nothing to do with it.  SamSho is simply a niche FG within an already niche gaming genre, it will never attract the crowds that the big hitters can - just like Soul Calibur.  Personally I'm overjoyed that they added my main Hibiki from TLB2 to SamSho - an unexpected but most welcome surprise.

And I'm ok with that. Tbh I actually prefer smaller bases of dedicated players to massive ones.

But you're right. Plus it's an snk game and no one seems to stick with those too long unfortunately.

Baiken is #1? Damn, I was already on the fence about buying her (well the season pass she was included in), but that may have just sealed the deal lol.

I wanted to support the game anyway for the rollback announcement, so I guess that’s my way.

Anyone up for playing later tonight, or does tomorrow night work better? I’m good either way.

EDIT: I just realized something pretty important before agreeing to play with me. I’m currently on WiFi. I should be get back to a wired connection tomorrow, but tonight would be WiFi for me.

Edited by Mattatsu
37 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Baiken is #1? Damn, I was already on the fence about buying her (well the season pass she was included in), but that may have just sealed the deal lol.

I wanted to support the game anyway for the rollback announcement, so I guess that’s my way.

Anyone up for playing later tonight, or does tomorrow night work better? I’m good either way.

EDIT: I just realized something pretty important before agreeing to play with me. I’m currently on WiFi. I should be get back to a wired connection tomorrow, but tonight would be WiFi for me.

I think it works better for me if is tomorrow, today is my lil brother's birthday, so is very likely I wouldn't have time today 😕

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I could probably make tomorrow work unless something pops up. What time would work for everyone?

43 minutes ago, FightDirty said:

Folks just don't understand the sheer joy of playing against an SNK boss back in the arcade days, lol.

Hahaha man even when you set the difficulty on 1 the fucking boss is still hard as balls. There's no mellowing out and playing arcade mode with old school SNK games 😂 Even the regular characters are pretty bad in SamSho 2 & 3.

Edited by DoctaMario
19 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I could do tonight or tomorrow.  If anything, tomorrow is a little better even.

There's a couple of choices there that I'm a little skeptical of, but I 'd be inclined to say that's a good tier list.

Which ones?  A lot of the characters are in similar spots from when I used to play.  Genjuro and Haoh were super strong back then (maybe 1 and 2) and still seem to be.   I guess I'm only surprised by how high Baiken and Hibiki are.  Seems like SNK really wanted to make the guest characters strong to attract new players.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
24 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I could probably make tomorrow work unless something pops up. What time would work for everyone?

Hahaha man even when you set the difficulty on 1 the fucking boss is still hard as balls. There's no mellowing out and playing arcade mode with old school SNK games 😂 Even the regular characters are pretty bad in SamSho 2 & 3.

I think any time works fine for me, unless something unexpected happens, lol

29 minutes ago, Reticently said:

I could do tonight or tomorrow.  If anything, tomorrow is a little better even.

There's a couple of choices there that I'm a little skeptical of, but I 'd be inclined to say that's a good tier list.

He's been playing a long time, I used to play with him a bit. He's a good player, knows his stuff. I'm a bit skeptical of where he put Basara but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for what time we start, I'm not 100% sure what time I'll be able to join up but 830pm EST might be a good time to start. Imma have to set up my kitchen SamSho rig 😂

Edited by DoctaMario

I am not sure abut Wu, but I feel that Basara's problem is that he requires more execution effort to be played effectively, kind of, so you see him being used less and the people who use him has more margin of error that their opponents can capitalize, Imo.

Dunno if perhaps that is the train of thought of why he is that low, because for me he seems to be stronger than that.

Edited by Hecatom
16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

I am not sure abut Wu, but I feel that Basara's problem is that he requires more execution effort to be played effectively, kind of, so you see him being used less and the people who use him has more margin of error that their opponents can capitalize, Imo.

Dunno if perhaps that is the train of thought of why he is that low, because for me he seems to be stronger than that.

His reasoning was that Bas doesn't really have any kind of game to play, which I don't necessarily agree with. Bas is a bit of a scrub killer and once people learn the matchup, it makes it that much harder for him because he has to rely on subterfuge to win to some degree.

Anyway I'm good for 8:30 tonight EST! Looking forward to some games!

43 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I wouldn't call relying on deception having no game play 😅

His tool kit is geared towards fooling his opponent to capitalize on it.

Gonna check if Samsho doesn't have an update pending so it doesn't take me by surprise when I try to play with you.

The problem with relying on deception is that the more familiar someone is with that brand if it, the less effective it is. I think that was ScrubSaibot's point. I agree somewhat, but I guess it means you really have to push the limits of the character to be effective.

@Reticentlym not sure if you're on my psn, what's your name on there? Also anyone else who wants to play that isn't Matt or Hecatom, post up your PSN tags so I can add you. 

Edited by DoctaMario

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong about waiting in the lobby, you guys are all on the left and seems to coming in in order, while I have to do it manually… when choosing the wait option, is black or yellow your choice?

esit: seems ok now

Edited by Mattatsu
1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t know why I did that lol

Probably an execution error. Happens all the time. Least you won that round tho!

Uhh… what button picks up your sword again? Lol

It's the A button

I don’t know why I did that lol

I accidentally quoted this and for some reason you can't delete quotes on mobile