Stage Select

Transformers Thread

On 3/28/2023 at 1:13 AM, RegH81 said:

Was in Walmart a few weeks back and picked up a Leo Prime. I'm starting to lose count of how many Prime figures I have.

Decepticon Judgement Day

Convoy-final1024.jpg

As a side, I finally got MP Skyfire. 

I recommend it. Takara again proves that less is more (in terms of the complexity of the build). The figure feels solid and looks like the character (for better or worse). Solid recommend. 

Also got Yukkikaze (third trainbot). Out of the three, this is my favorite to transform. It also feels good in hand. Definitely worth a purchase. After Getsui, I wasn't sure what to think about the MPG line. I honestly think Takara will be able to land Raiden, despite being a more stylized approach. 

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/04/06/transformers-rise-of-the-beasts-cheetor-voice-actor-confirmed-479861

Cheetor has a voice actor!

Cheetor – Tongayi Chirisa

Tongayi Chirisa is a Zimbabwean actor known for playing Man Friday on NBC’s Crusoe television series, Father Nicholas on The Jim Gaffigan Show, and Hekule on Leon Schuster’s Mr. Bones 2: Back from the Past movie. We welcome him to the Transformers franchise as the voice of fan-favorite Maximal Cheetor.

• 2 weeks later...

News about the upcoming animated TF film:

https://news.tfw2005.com/2023/04/20/lorenzo-di-bonaventura-talks-about-the-upcoming-animated-transformers-movie-480856

The movie will focus on the story of a young Optimus and a young Megatron and how they evolve into the characters we know today.
The entire movie is set on Cybertron.
The origin of the Transformers will also be explored.
Since it’s an animation project, it could work as a new trilogy.
While they have ideas about what the following movies would be about, they also want to focus on making the first one really successful.
It’s not a coming-of-age story.
This untitled animated Transformers film is set to release in theaters on July 19, 2024.

Transformers Legacy Evolution Grimlock arrived last week. I pre-ordered an extra by mistake, so I gave the second one to my nephew. He was pretty stoked about it. I'm pretty happy to finally have a Grimlock myself.

I was thinking Studio Series Gamer Edition Optimus  Prime would arrive before July. The sucker ended up arriving this past Sunday. OMG this Prime is IMMACULATE. He looks sick AF in bot mode. He looks sick AF in vehicle mode. This has to be one of the best looking Primes I have EVER seen. I got one for my nephew as well. He's gonna love his 13th birthday gift.

I was in Walmart today and picked up a Transformers the Movie Starscream re-issue. There's just something so charming about the 1980s Transformers designs. They lack the articulation of today's figures and they look stiff as a board. But dang it, I go nuts whenever I get the chance to pick one up! This makes my second ever Starscream figure. 

Target is right next to my Walmart and they had Buzzworthy Bumblebee Origin Autobot Jazz. They had several of these bad boys in stock, so I got one for me and one to give to my nephew for his birthday. 

2 pack of Miner Megatron and Senator Ratbat

(remold of Siege Megatron and SS86 Scourge)

2 pack of Senator Shockwave and Orion Pax (IDW)

(remolds of Siege Starscream and Siege Hound)

SS86 Brawn ($25)

FOC Cliffjumper

WFC 2010 Megatron - GAMER Edition

I know it doesn't matter much,but many of the RT top critics seem to be more forgiving of the film than the smaller outlets.

I.e Variety, Hollywood reporter, USA Today, Seattle Times

Usually in the Bay era , it was the opposite.

Edited by DangerousJ

Just saw it tonight. As a TF fan I thought it was ok but as a movie guy I thought it was mid at best. The Cybertronians themselves look amazing and they are very fun to watch and look at. However besides that and the scenery the movie is not good imo. First Bay film is still the best live action TF movie. 

Edit: Biggest thing I’ll say is that the movie feels rushed

Edited by Vhozite

Slept on it and ready to give a more in depth analysis.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Spoiler

As mentioned the movie feels rushed, and that’s because several potential story beats are under explored or just straight up glossed over and left out. Scourge gets unmasked at one point and the camera pan makes it seems like it’s a significant reveal, but it’s just his fairly unremarkable face. There are a couple lines that imply potential time travel shenanigans involving the Maximals, but it’s never actually explored. 

Speaking of the Maximals, for a movie called Rise of the beasts, the Maximals really feel like unexplored side characters. Outside of the opening where Unicron shows up to eat their planet, they have basically 0 background. Idk if the budget ran out but the Maximals spend 99% of the film in their alt forms, which feels jarring because the autobots all get multiple cool transformation sequences. Cheetor and Rhinox have like 3 lines of dialogue combined, and the scene with their robot forms is so poorly edited that you don’t get a single good look at them. Airrazor never transforms at all. 

For all the hoopla about these movies being better than the “trash” Bay films, I’m really disappointed with how “design-by committee” this movie feels. Say what you want about the Bay films but at least they had a sense of ambition and spectacle. This movie has a plot just as thin as those movies while lacking in those aspects in world that feels more empty in comparison. They go to a lot of trouble to make the bots look and feel more like living beings just to completely phone in every other aspect of the film.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-creative-teams-for-new-transformers-gi-joe-comics-revealed/

Skybound , an imprint of Image, will publish Transformers  and GIJOE comics.

They have already made an appearance in VOID RIVALS as a surprise.

TF will start in October and Duke and Cobra Commander will have ongoing series in Dec/ Jan.

energon-universe-1.jpg

Edited by DangerousJ
2 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-creative-teams-for-new-transformers-gi-joe-comics-revealed/

Skybound , an imprint of Image, will publish Transformers  and GIJOE comics.

They have already made an appearance in VOID RIVALS as a surprise.

TF will start in October and Duke and Cobra Commander will have ongoing series in Dec/ Jan.

energon-universe-1.jpg

This is going to be awesome. Daniel Warren Johnson is such an amazing artist and writer. His Beta Ray Bill mini-series was great and his Wonder Woman: Dead Earth graphic novel is one of the best I’ve ever read. His personal projects are good too. 

Edited by iStu X
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...