Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

On 4/27/2023 at 8:36 PM, CESTUS III said:

https://i.ibb.co/gwNybpf/2.jpg

I think the lady could be Kalima (who wears a big scarf at the end of the comic).

Her name is Arabic meaning word, could also be interpreted as the speaker. Alternatively and maybe more likely, the name takes after the Hindu mother goddess "Kali Ma". I hope it's the latter because she looks like she could be a badass fighter with mystical powers repping the good people of Nayshall. Or maybe she is an evil lackee of JP? She arranged the route for the accident afterall.

I've been trying to find another image from twitter that's like a passport photo of Kalima that says she's missing.

The man could be Tsujimoto, who helped Kalima get Ken out of the accident/protest.

Edited by Daemos

Some thoughts

-The Evil Dragon prophecy seems indeed a foreshadow of Ken defeating JP but "dying" in the process, only to be saved/"resurrected" at the very last moment... like he will be "dead" for a minute then somebody (Soul Power user?) will save him, using somehow the cerulean cloth

Could fit JP powers that seem to destroy people from inside, could definitely see somebody defeat him and still risk to die afterward

-I wonder if Ken living undercover in SF6 may mean he's still pretending to be dead to have an advantage over JP/his enemies and prevent them to potentially target Mel/Eliza

-It's cool that they made Luke Mel's bodyguard, considering the conflictual relationship Mel seem to have with Ken... Luke lost his own father when was just bit older and that event has been the key moment of his life.

It's nice to see Luke seem able to relate better than Ken with Mel, listening to what HIM (Mel) want/say... when he gift him the small knife saying he'll be the camp star, show despite the gf joke he understood that camp (normal childhood with friends) was important for Mel

I think Luke will be a key character to help Mel relationship with Ken, pretty sure Mel at some point may say something childish mean and Luke will scold his tantrum telling he have no idea what's like lose a father

-Actually if Ken "die" for Mel will be a bit like has been for Luke, except happy ending... wake up moment i guess

-Luke bein like

https://s3.amazonaws.com/scribblelive-com-prod/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/world-according-to-the-united-states-of-america.png

is awesome

-The Nayshall people riots are almost surely pushed by the hooded/masked figures that likely work for JP, spreading lies and misinformation to fuel people anger making leverage on already existing problems (ones Kalima mention)

-Strange for me to see that "the princess" is actually a king, guess i was totally wrong on the nepalese goddess-girl thing lol
Now the king figure remind me more the young maharaja in Indiana Jones Temple of Doom, may JP end up be like our Mola Ram?

-I guess in the comic JP accent is supposed to sound like german? Lol

-Lmao at JP being shorter than Ken in the comic, when ingame he definitely tower over him and official stats wise he's 16cm taller than Ken (191cm vs 175cm)

Edited by CESTUS III

They really dropped the ball with Luke's introduction in SFV. From what we've seen of him in SFVI he's a very cool character, but he'll always have the Logan Paul/douchebag stigma based on his first appearance. 

Edited by Dracu
51 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

I wonder if Ken living undercover in SF6 may mean he's still pretending to be dead to have an advantage over JP/his enemies and prevent them to potentially target Mel/Eliza

Ken's not pretending to be dead or hiding. By the time his story starts in SF6 he states that his name has been cleared but his life can't go back to the way it was because of what happened. He had to step down from being CEO and now being a construction worker is his life now.

51 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

-I guess in the comic JP accent is supposed to sound like german? Lol

JP was initially supposed to be Russian according to the leak. Petrovich is a Slavic name therefore his accent is supposed to represent that. 

Edited by bakfromon
5 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

I see... Crap, why they can't translate things properly without changing the information?  They did the same with Dan and Rose's stories in SFV.

We thought Capcom were past "Bison's lover" Cammy translations, but nooo...

Another thing they mistranslated was "Nigeria". In the original Japanese text, it was Niger. Yep, they're close, but still not the same state (and bikinis and samba would be even MORE unlikely in the mostly-desertified Niger than in Nigeria...)

Also, funny how Luke in Japanese says that Niger is a 南国の国 Nangoku no kuni, "A southern country". That's how the Japanese refer to Southeast ASIA, lol. Everything is relative... 🤣

04.jpg

21 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

That's where the Kalima is missing thing came from! Thanks!

So the Nayshall tournament was meant to start a day or two after the terrorist attack. Could it have been delayed because of it? Would JP postpone the tournament after making it clear that they were short on time?

Judging by the look of Ken's story intro this line from JP is basically what seals the deal for him being a classic villain. He's literally telling his plan to Ken right to his face. 

spacer.png

JP is more than likely using Ken's own money and love for fighting tournaments against him. Now that Ken's in his country JP has a scapegoat for whatever the insurgencies are uprising against, which is more than likely JP himself. 

Edited by bakfromon

Think about these key points as well. Kalima alludes to the fact that the people of Nayshall aren't really looking forward to this fighting tournament. The rapid development of their country seems foreign to them. They feel as if they're being left behind which seems to hold some weight. In WTM Nayshall seems to be very poor in most parts while the funds from the Masters Foundation are being used to create luxury skyscrapers and vast urban areas which exclude the native population.

Also the young King gives Ken the cerulean cloth which symbolizes Ken being an heir to the throne. Although JP says that this was only during ancient times, I bet some of the people of Nayshall still hold onto ancient customs and traditions. Seeing a foreigner as being heir to their throne is probably something they would frown upon. 

Kalima seems surprised that Ken isn't doing all of this for himself and I'm assuming that is what most of the inhabitants of Nayshall think. The foreigners are appropriating their land for their own benefit. JP is the obvious foreigner who's doing this and not Ken, but since Ken's money and name are what's on the forefront Ken's the fallguy. 

Edited by bakfromon
51 minutes ago, Dracu said:

They really dropped the ball with Luke's introduction in SFV. From what we've seen of him in SFVI he's a very cool character, but he'll always have the Logan Paul/douchebag stigma based on his first appearance. 

I don't think so. The VAST majority of players coming into SF6 will  have no preconceptions of Luke because they weren't around playing at the end of SFV. This is Luke's debut to them.

16 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

JP was initially supposed to be Russian according to the leak. Petrovich is a Slavic name therefore his accent is supposed to represent that. 

Yeah i know, but the "z" used here end there just remind me stereotype german accent lol

Unearthed: Sub-Mariner #2 – Comics Breakdown

I hope nationalities stays like in that concept piece, because i liked they chosen to return pick actual nations (like Rashid having Saudi Arabia or AKI getting China) rather than SFV retarded approach of hide behind a generic "unknown" *

Btw the slavic "ich" (in Croatia basically all surname ends like that lol)  at the end can still be compatible with be a russian character, not common as "ov" ending but still a thing

Interessing there was a Petrovich in imperial russian Romanov family

Prince Roman Petrovich of Russia (17 October 1896 – 23 October 1978) was a member of the House of Romanov.

Prince Roman Petrovich was born in the Peterhof Palace in St. Petersburg the only son of Grand Duke Peter Nikolaevich of Russia and his wife Princess Milica of Montenegro. Prince Roman belonged to the Nikolaevichi branch of the Russian Imperial Family which was founded by his grandfather Grand Duke Nicholas Nikolaevich.

*i LOVE they picked Germany for Ed, even just for the symbolic effect

If they play smart on characterization SFV ASF would be like the fall of Berlin Wall, with Neo Shadaloo guys being like former East Germany youth becoming suddently free

19 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Think about these key points as well. Kalima alludes to the fact that the people of Nayshall aren't really looking forward to this fighting tournament. The rapid development of their country seems foreign to them. They feel as if they're being left behind which seems to hold some weight. In WTM Nayshall seems to be very poor in most parts while the funds from the Masters Foundation are being used to create luxury skyscrapers and vast urban areas which exclude the native population.

Also the young King gives Ken the cerulean clothe which symbolizes Ken being an heir to the throne. Although JP says that this was only during ancient times, I bet some of the people of Nayshall still hold onto ancient customs and traditions. Seeing a foreigner as being heir to their throne is probably something they would frown upon. 

Somebody already made the parallel with FIFA Qatar world cup, i think it works well for the contrast between modern sport event with poor/rural part of the population

The bold part in particular also remind me the fact the winner was going to get this

Lionel Messi endured an awkward moment after Argentina's World Cup win on  Sunday as he was draped in a robe ahead of the trophy - Imgflip

Lionel Messi was given a bisht, a traditional men’s cloak typically worn at celebration in parts of the Arab world.
Dr Mustafa Baig, a lecturer in Islamic Studies at the University of Exeter, explained the significance to the Press Association.
“They basically honoured him by putting it over his shoulders. It’s like a mark of honour, and just kind of a cultural welcoming and a cultural acceptance,” he said, adding it is typically worn by royalty, dignitaries, grooms and graduates.

Seems a similar gesture of royal honor/welcome to the one Ken is getting in Nayshall

2 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Btw the slavic "ich" (in Croatia basically all surname ends like that lol)  at the end can still be compatible with be a russian character, not common as "ov" ending but still a thing

Interessing there was a Petrovich in imperial russian Romanov family

That's because the Russian naming convention requires a given name, a patronymic and then a surname. Anything that ends in -ič is a patronymic, NOT a surname. So we don't actually know Johann's surname, because "Petrovič" simply means "Son of Pëtr" (Pyotr). Real surnames end in -ov or -ev (or -ova and -eva for females, because Russian is a gendered and inflected language). So, basically, Johann Petrovič is... John Peterson, lol (thanks @bakfromonfor the joke).

Croatia works differently, the origin of their surnames was in their patronymics, so their -ić endings just trace back to "son of".

13 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

So, basically, Johann Petrovič is... John Peterson, lol (thanks @bakfromonfor the joke).

Croatia works differently, the origin of their surnames was in their patronymics, so their -ić endings just trace back to "son of".

John Peterson =  Generic and definitely not evil 👼

Johann Petrovič = Savvy and possibly up to no good 🤔

JP = Initials are mysterious and definitely evil 😈

Edited by bakfromon
16 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

I like that the world is represented as... complicated.
There are cardboard boxfaces as part of Mad Gear in Metro City, and now we know that some of the demonstrators in Nayshall use bird masks (and that explains that UDON cover).

as07.jpg?h=80f0819f809eaff2435f08d9cc30a

Skull masks for Shadaloo...

Bird masks for Neo-Shadaloo? I recall drawing other parallels like how JP's facial features look birdlike compared to Bison's which can look skull-like.

Both JP and Ed have a new emblem (they are different but similar). Ed's blatantly an owl or other bird. JP is more debatable.

Could JP being using Neo-Shadaloo to do their dirty work under false pretenses? 

The bird masks also gave me Joker vibes...

joaquin-phoenix-transforms-into-the-joke

Edited by Daemos

Luke is so bad at other cultures, I think he might just be Sodom without his mask on...

4 hours ago, Daemos said:

JP is stupid. Out of all the billionaires in the world he goes after Ken. He should've done a background check on Ken and learned who his friends are.

Right?  He should have gone after the Kanzuki Zaibatsu.  Much safer.

37 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

There are cardboard boxfaces as part of Mad Gear in Metro City, and now we know that some of the demonstrators in Nayshall use bird masks (and that explains that UDON cover).

I really don't like the carboard boxes on mad gear.  If they wanted Mad Gear to have masks, they should have designed something.

They also need some kind of logo.  Something they can spray tag on stuff.  Like a gear with a lauging face or something.

Edited by DarthEnderX
3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Right?  He should have gone after the Kanzuki Zaibatsu.  Much safer.

You mean the girl who's just as much a multibillionaire as Ken if not more with an army of ninjas and an orbital laser?... Nah Ken's a much safer bet in getting to manipulate. 

Also since Nayshall is this whole city being built with internet connectivity in mind to run the drones and cameras I'm guessing that's where Chun and her protege Li Fen come in. Since Li Fen was the computer hacker she's probably going to use her skills to hack into Nayshall's network helping Ken along the way and possibly clear his name. 

Edited by bakfromon
15 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Luke is cool. I've had this opinion since SFV because his win quotes give you a good sense of who he is. Now we'll get to see more of that.

Same here, the instant you guys started posting his win quotes and stuff like how he's afraid of horror games, it won me over. I thought he was gonna be a cocky Logan Paul clone, but he's so dang likeable and sincere. Then seeing all the constant fun his VA gets up to on Twitter solidified it for me; Luke's good in my books.

15 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Capcom for the first time in a long time gives us quality Street Fighter comic writing and artwork and of course this is what people wanna focus in on. 

This also mucks up the timeline for casuals thinking that SF takes place in present day, instead of it being in a timeline that introduces our present day technology into the world of the past. 

4 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

Capcom for the first time in a long time gives us quality Street Fighter comic writing and artwork and of course this is what people wanna focus in on. 

Media literacy is getting poorer by the day. This is what I saw earlier.

It’s clear that right before the car ride that Ken is just now realizing how selfish doing this tournament is. He is not without flaw and the story calls him out for it as well.

Other examples I have seen recently is people thinking that T. Hawk is dead because of JP’s quote to Kimberly and thinking that JP is another body for Bison because of his quote to Cammy. Even though he is bluntly telling her that him and Shadoloo is gone.

Edited by BornWinner
1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

Same here, the instant you guys started posting his win quotes and stuff like how he's afraid of horror games, it won me over. I thought he was gonna be a cocky Logan Paul clone, but he's so dang likeable and sincere. Then seeing all the constant fun his VA gets up to on Twitter solidified it for me; Luke's good in my books.

Aleks Le is honestly the reason why Luke is as awesome as he is. He's embodies the character in and outside of the game.

24 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

It’s clear that right before the car ride is that Ken is just now realizing how selfish doing this tournament is. He is not without flaw and the story calls him out for it as well.

Other examples I have seen recently is people thinking that T. Hawk is dead because of his quote to Kimberly and thinking that he is another body for Bison because of his quote to Cammy. Even though he is bluntly telling her that him and Shadoloo is gone.

It's almost as if JP himself used his Psycho Power and scheming to brainwash the general population of fans. This is beyond what Bison could ever dream of. 

Ken's a bad father now, he's a cryptobro akin to Elon Musk. You really do die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain. 

57 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's Shitaku. They just bitched about Nintendo black listing them, after they advocated pirating Metroid Dread at launch, and followed up by posting an article with all the Tears of the Kingdom leaks. Fuck Shitaku and I hope they go belly up soon.

I like how the comments ignore the story and demand the publication take accountability for the offensive tweet one of their editors made. No amount of sensationalism is going to make people forget

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

It’s clear that right before the car ride is that Ken is just now realizing how selfish doing this tournament is. He is not without flaw and the story calls him out for it as well.

Other examples I have seen recently is people thinking that T. Hawk is dead because of JP’s quote to Kimberly and thinking that JP is another body for Bison because of his quote to Cammy. Even though he is bluntly telling her that him and Shadoloo is gone.

Modern controls. That’s who we’re dealing with. Enough said.

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I’m sorry that I pegged Marisa for a secret villain. She’s a sweetheart.

She's too great, an absolute delight. Ever since they revealed her profile details, I've loved that she's this intense warrior, but she's got such a friendly, endearing way about her. The fan art focusing on her gleefully making art, and socializing with the cast are among my favs.

Jesus, you guys sure are salty about folks clowning on the comic.

Like, those are things that DID happen in the comic.  Masters DOES have a cryptocurrency.  Ken DOES steamroll his kid's feelings.  And JP DOES have an accent he doesn't have in the game.  It's weird to get mad just because pointed that out.

Like, calling a guy an idiot because they don't know the behind-the-scenes production reason for a change is weirdly defensive.

26 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Jesus, you guys sure are salty about folks clowning on the comic.

Like, those are things that DID happen in the comic.  Masters DOES have a cryptocurrency.  Ken DOES steamroll his kid's feelings.  And JP DOES have an accent he doesn't have in the game.  It's weird to get mad just because pointed that out.

Like, calling a guy an idiot because they don't know the behind-the-scenes production reason for a change is weirdly defensive.

He took those things and makes wild assumptions out of them. How is being a crypto bro make him comparable to Elon Musk? How is a typical father/son conflict make Ken an awful father? It comes cross that shrimped through the story and didn't actually read it.  

Edited by Hawkingbird

Ken is really stressed out and at the start of his hero arc. Maybe people should wait and see what becomes of him as a father and business man before passing judgement. 

Like do these zoomers know how much heart this man has beneath that fiery exterior? He’s gonna come through. 

I’m rooting for Ken!

17 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Also something that was omitted from the English version of the comic was Kimberly's uncle's full name. The Japanese translation introduced him fully as Albert Jackson. Not sure why the English translations love to change stuff or completely leave it out.

The english version omitted the introduction narration box. It wasn't presented when I read it.