Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

Hot takes on the patch, give em to me. I need the entertainment.

Maybe it's cause I'm tired today, but I'm kinda lukewarm on it, and not in a White Claw kinda way either.

FD and input buffer changes are welcome ofc. 

The rework to projectiles... didn't really happen?  Maybe I need the actual numbers, but reducing cooldown while removing hitstop can exactly cancel each other out, except on whiff where it's a buff.  But startup was increased, and it still fizzles on hit, which is still counterhit, so, so what?  Why's a 53f projectile so threateningly "oppressive" in a game with airblock, airdash, and airjump?

And Milia seems better.  See you in November, maybe.

I'm unsure who's helped by the new gatling into jD. Many jD attacks aim really high or low where jS and jH don't do business.

3 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Hot takes on the patch, give em to me. I need the entertainment.

Maybe it's cause I'm tired today, but I'm kinda lukewarm on it, and not in a White Claw kinda way either.

FD and input buffer changes are welcome ofc. 

The rework to projectiles... didn't really happen?  Maybe I need the actual numbers, but reducing cooldown while removing hitstop can exactly cancel each other out, except on whiff where it's a buff.  But startup was increased, and it still fizzles on hit, which is still counterhit, so, so what?  Why's a 53f projectile so threateningly "oppressive" in a game with airblock, airdash, and airjump?

And Milia seems better.  See you in November, maybe.

I'm unsure who's helped by the new gatling into jD. Many jD attacks aim really high or low where jS and jH don't do business.

If you mean Ky specifically they say they reduced recovery time AND overall duration while making it startup slower.

So you spend less time vulnerable on whiff and will also be less negative on block.

Anji' and Nago's projectiles just seem better all the way around.

Edited by Gasarocky
5 minutes ago, Sonero said:

@Gasarocky my guy, you can't be arguing with reddit scrubs about this game.

You're trying to fight the good fight against Championship Edition Game fans level people.

😂

Bro the subreddit for Strive is terrible. Like NRS tier. Biggest patch notes of the game so far and as usual it’s nothing but shitty memes

2 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

and will also be less negative on block

Iirc it'll now travel faster so even that is mitigated. 

I'm glad for Anji fans (haha) getting the butterfly buff they've been asking for.  And for one of Faust's items changing from hurtful to helpful but only if Faust gets it?  Am I reading that right? 

Throw prc os is gone. Throw prc is still there but you need to confirm the RC not just os it. 

Dust aerial RC combos gone? What? Why? They were the best way to style on someone.

Idk they say they buff zoning, and then buff aerial combos, then buff AAs... If everything's buffed, nothing is. 

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

@Gasarocky my guy, you can't be arguing with reddit scrubs about this game.

You're trying to fight the good fight against Championship Edition Game fans level people.

😂

Honestly I tell myself the same thing. I don't know how to stop myself, it's a real problem 😂

17 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I'm glad for Anji fans (haha) getting the butterfly buff they've been asking for.  And for one of Faust's items changing from hurtful to helpful but only if Faust gets it?  Am I reading that right? 

Throw prc os is gone. Throw prc is still there but you need to confirm the RC not just os it. 

Dust aerial RC combos gone? What? Why? They were the best way to style on someone.

Idk they say they buff zoning, and then buff aerial combos, then buff AAs... If everything's buffed, nothing is. 

Nah if everything's buffed it just means the situations get more layered. They're even trying to do something about the damage by adjusting certain characters combo routes and increasing scaling from some of the more important special moves. Zoning can be stronger, so if someone gets around it in the air, they get rewarded well for doing it, but if it's read, the defender gets better reward from their AA. Of course only time will tell if it actually shakes out like that for sure, but I don't think more buffs in terms of options is bad.

Faust afro buffs his paper bag, makes it large and bounce a few times and doesn't hurt him. One time use per afro he gets.

Dust RC thing is talking about before/during homing jump I think? Not sure on that one but it would be weird to take away RC combos during Dust, so I'm guessing it's not that. We'll see.

57 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Along with what Gasarocky said, they have a video showing this change.

After seeing so many Faust players just run up and pick up the Afro to pressure someone, nice to see they get something out of it. 

@Pair of Rooks

Check this out:

That's a neat way to vary up corner pressure with Ky. Don't know how I feel about new Gio yet. She gets new fancy air combos but her tried and true is way less reliable. Need ot see if her new counterhit 5H conversion is universal. If so then there might be some good to it. Only problem is that it feels as if all the new routes for her will break a wall easier.

10 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I’ve always hated when devs speed up projectiles and call it a buff. I would much rather my projectile be slower a control space for a longer time. Fast projectiles don’t really become appealing unless they’re approaching Deadshot/NRS speed or are straight up beams ala vs games.

Edit: Not saying Ky isn’t overall buffed, just discussing a peeve of mine.

Edited by Vhozite

Yo these Nago buffs are insane. DP can now frametrap on it's own cause the follow-up is delayable, and it's fucking ground bounce on counter hit. Also allows new routes with just the first part cause the recovery isn't too long.

Clone is now full screen and super fast. It also can delete projectiles like Charge Stun Edge 😂 

It seems that with Ky, they keep thinking that his Dragon Install makes up for some of his stuff. They definitely want people to use it. Problem is that they don't realize how much better meter for Ky is on doing anything else. Stun Dipper RC is a better RC than anything GIo has. Might be a better RC than what I-No and a few other characters have too.

So you could spend 50 meter to get your characters better tools to try and "win" neutral, or spend 50% meter to Stun Dipper and vroom vroom somebody's ankle for good damage and a knockdown. Ky has some places where he is wack, but him being really bad is overstated in a lot of parts.

4 minutes ago, Sonero said:

That said, @Vhozite you should check out Ky. buffed stun edge is good. That and he can do defensive j.S and air dash cancel it for combos.

Kizzie making a really good case for Ky changing for the way better.

Literally the only reason I don’t use him is I hate how he looks. I find his design even more boring than I did in Xrd. Legit don’t know how that character has fans. 

Edit: I hate Twitter

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Nago’s projectile was already insanely strong. I’m not against buffing it but it was really necessary lol

In the context of the rest of the buffs and how strong air to ground combos will be now, it's possible that it's still reasonable. Axl and Faust both got 5f normals now as well so Nago can't bully them with spin anymore, so buffing projectile to help him get in since it'll be harder to stay in does make some sense.

Honestly this patch is pretty fucking exciting.

Edited by Gasarocky

FUCKING FINALLY MILIA can fS xx top from far away and it combos 

Everyone is posting all these fancy combos and corner pressure I don’t care about. Shit like this is what I actually want.

Quick edit: after more closely testing it’s not quite max range... not sure how I feel about that tbh. Is a consistent option off a good button too much to ask?

Edit 2: fS still has an unhealthy amount of space a cancel to S.Top won’t combo, but 2S seems pretty consistent. I’m slightly less mad

Edited by Vhozite
2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Stop asking for Millia to do ish she isn't supposed to without super.

Sorry for wanting to actually have fun without half my super meter?

Also I can’t think of a more boring game than where everything only goes as the devs intend.

Edited by Vhozite
11 hours ago, Sonero said:

@Pair of Rooks

Check this out:

That's a neat way to vary up corner pressure with Ky. Don't know how I feel about new Gio yet. She gets new fancy air combos but her tried and true is way less reliable. Need ot see if her new counterhit 5H conversion is universal. If so then there might be some good to it. Only problem is that it feels as if all the new routes for her will break a wall easier.

If you're referring to the jD to punish attempts to jump out of the corner, yeah I've used that. Didn't end with SD ofc cause I don't wanna die if the wallstick doesn't save me.  But yeah if they don't jump you get a falling button into low/throw mix.  Good way to finish off a round. 

9 hours ago, Gasarocky said:

Yeah to be honest I feel like they definitely could have gone in a little more on buffing Ky, looking at the other characters and the FD changes

It seems that any given patch will throw a chunk of Ky's buffs down the black hole that is dragon install.  I think the increased chip is the only thing he got that didn't come with asterisks attached. 

9 hours ago, Sonero said:

It seems that with Ky, they keep thinking that his Dragon Install makes up for some of his stuff. They definitely want people to use it. Problem is that they don't realize how much better meter for Ky is on doing anything else. Stun Dipper RC is a better RC than anything GIo has. Might be a better RC than what I-No and a few other characters have too.

So you could spend 50 meter to get your characters better tools to try and "win" neutral, or spend 50% meter to Stun Dipper and vroom vroom somebody's ankle for good damage and a knockdown. Ky has some places where he is wack, but him being really bad is overstated in a lot of parts.

This. DI feels amazing when you're in it, but it doesn't help you win neutral.  Winning neutral is way more important than combo damage when you're sub 30% on health. Barring that, one more PRC to save your ass is important.

Chances are his opponent might also be a combo away from death, so the DI damage buff is still useless. If you win the touch they would have died anyway.  

8 hours ago, Sonero said:

Kizzie making a really good case for Ky changing for the way better

What's he say? I only saw his initial reading of the notes, and his reaction was similar to mine. "Oppressed?! Who tf out here is gettin oppressed by Stun Edge?!"

I’m liking Milia a lot more than any other character now that button xx top is decently reliable. She is a little too mixup focused for my taste but at least she has decent neutral options without being boring as shit like Ky.

That said I’ll immediately switch to Ram the instant she can easily knockdown in neutral or Nago if he can combo into blood rage drain the way his gran works.

Edited by Vhozite

Ok I lied running fisher price mixups with sweep xx H.Disc is fucking hilarious, as is hitting people with TK Bad Moon. Her buttons aren’t as good as I’d like but she is super fucking mobile so I don’t feel totally helpless against character with big buttons. 

Her reversal super is trash, but that’s my only major complaint. I’m having fun with her. 

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

The what now?

You wanna combo into the blood rage activation?

Sorry

A way to combo into blood rage *reduction* similar to the way his grab works. A bunch of his moves lower the bar but only after it stops rising his grab is the only move the immediately lowers the meter regardless of prior buildup.

When I played him I found it really annoying when I would combo into super be the meter was getting high and then still rage out even tho super is supposed to drain like 66% of the meter because I already went over, and now I’m down 50 tension for no reason. It just would be nice if he had more freedom to go ham without having to resort to his gimmicky ass grab to save himself. 

Alternatively it would be could if he could use Faultless Defense to stave off rage long enough for the passive reduction from sword attacks to kick in and get him back under. Just anything to make bloodrage less binary. 

That said, even with all that I’d probably not use him. Absolutely cannot go back to not having a forward dash.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I wanna try Ky's new jS jD routes. His jH soft-spikes, ending air combos, so he can now do some nice higher damage aerial combos, especially in the corner. 

Also wanna see if less fireball recovery makes a difference in the Axl matchup.

Kizzie said it's a gaslight patch for zoners 😂

I’m obviously not a Ky player, but I was messing around in the lab and even post patch his fireballs feel extremely underwhelming. Having messed around with damn near the entire cast at one point I  feel pretty confident saying Stun Edges are bottom tier projectiles...I’d rather have almost any other Strive projectile. 

That said Stun Edges (and Ky in general) would be a lot more interesting if Shock State wasn’t so lame. It makes Foudre Arc guaranteed plus on block but other than that it’s pretty whack.

Yeah Rooks was the first person I thought of with this patch. Hopefully Ky feels better overall but I think Strive may just not be a game where they are going to put in strong zoning projectiles (or at least not until there is a paradigm shift) which makes his design kinda funky. Hope you like Dragon Install!

Unrelated, (well kinda sorta since she has a projectile) I just remembered that I never fired the game up last patch to check out the I-No changes either.