Stage Select

The Sonic Thread: Before the Shadow takeover begins, we must knuck when we buck. Knuckles series releases April 26.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Sonic Frontiers is getting free updates over the course of next year. Including a new story and playable characters.

Confirmation of it being free.

I was not expecting this!   I thought this was definitely just going to be a 1 and done but we're getting a new playable characters AND A NEW STORY!?....FOR FREEEEEEEE!?  What a nice Christmas present Sega.  I wish they would have made Shadow a playable character since the mods I've been seeing of people putting him in seem cool along with the work that people have been putting into Project 06.

But getting Tails, Knux, and Amy as playable is fine.  I'm most hype to play Knux in an open world setting.   That should be fun gliding around and climbing on everything if it's done right.  Also REALLLY hoping they give the characters a skill tree like they gave Sonic.  I want Knux to have some crazy attacks.

@Sonichumanwhere are you at now in Frontiers? I'm on the third island, trying to find Big and 100% if like I did the first two maps.

The dialog in this game is SO DANG GOOD! Can they keep Ian Flynn writing Sonic games forever? Much as I enjoy zipping around and all, some of my favorite parts are Sonic's ineractions with other characters just to hear the banter. 

2 hours ago, RegH81 said:

@Sonichumanwhere are you at now in Frontiers? I'm on the third island, trying to find Big and 100% if like I did the first two maps.

The dialog in this game is SO DANG GOOD! Can they keep Ian Flynn writing Sonic games forever? Much as I enjoy zipping around and all, some of my favorite parts are Sonic's ineractions with other characters just to hear the banter. 

I'm really close to fighting the boss on the 2nd island and I agree.  I'm really enjoying the interactions and I look forward to getting the medals.  I haven't been really trying to S rank the cyberspace stages because to be honest...they're ok.  I'm a bit disappointed that non of your upgrades translate to anything in cyberspace and the game gives you plenty of options to complete your goal that you really don't have to set foot in them.  The only reason that's pulling me forward to jump into them  is to hear the music lol.  I may come back and try to S rank them but I'm just way more interested in running around in the open areas as Sonic and completing the various platforming areas and getting the medals that way while choosing when to engage with some of the enemies.  I had a star fall event and ended up racking up 500 Big coins in the process so I could literally fish and chill with Big for an hour if I wanted.

Just so you guys know incase you don't, the Sonic fandom is trying to get Sonic Frontiers to win Player's Voice for TGA and they've been doing a pretty good job of it since it's passed the 1st round and looks to be a shoe in for passing the 2nd round.

Currently the game appears to be having it out with Genshin Impact for first

https://thegameawards.com/brackets/players-voice

Edit:

Edited by Sonichuman
On 12/2/2022 at 7:10 PM, Hawkingbird said:

I had no idea that Ray and Mighty are characters that are exclusive to classic Sonic. If classic Sonic is going to be it's own series going forward I can see the need but I don't like that idea at all. 

Yeah I heard there was some mandate by Sega that they want Ray and Mighty be Classic exclusive characters which...I don't get at all.  I'm hoping that changes at some point.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Holy shit at Sonics voice...I was like "Wow Amy doesn't sound like shes 4 anymore..." and then Sonic spoke and it was like "Holy shit bro you're starting to actually sound your age!"

There were some reviewers that were shitting on Roger's delivery and direction on this game and I kinda think its due to them not going through the trouble of hearing all the dialogue.  This also being on top of Sonic for the last few games cracking jokes 24/7 and Roger's delivers sounding lighthearted regardless of the situation which made moments that were supposed to have any sort of seriousness to them weird.

This should start at the moment in question that illustrates my point.

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

There were some reviewers that were shitting on Roger's delivery and direction on this game and I kinda think its due to them not going through the trouble of hearing all the dialogue.  This also being on top of Sonic for the last few games cracking jokes 24/7 and Roger's delivers sounding lighthearted regardless of the situation which made moments that were supposed to have any sort of seriousness to them weird.

This should start at the moment in question that illustrates my point.

So is it the same guy in Frontiers? He has the sarcasm and sass cranked up so high here, and Sonic constantly sounds like his voice is on the verge of cracking. In Frontiers he sounded a lot more down to earth and chill, and deeper, just holy shit way deeper lol.

Currently Sonic Frontiers is sitting at 51% for round 3 with Genshin Impact at 25%.  I saw Sonicsweep trending and it's funny watching the fandom rally to get this game something lol.

^ This has Sonic interruption in it just as heads up if you're not trying to get spoiled on boss finishes.

^I forgot someone made this edit and it got another good laugh out of it.

Really wish people would stop saying it's player's choice lol.

Edited by Sonichuman
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So is it the same guy in Frontiers? He has the sarcasm and sass cranked up so high here, and Sonic constantly sounds like his voice is on the verge of cracking. In Frontiers he sounded a lot more down to earth and chill, and deeper, just holy shit way deeper lol.

Voice actors can be really flexible when the time comes. It all comes down to whatever voice direction is given. It’s why I hate it when people say a voice sucks when it’s clear they could be good, but were told to sound a specific way. So from Colors to Forces, RCS was probably told to sound high pitched and sarcastic all the time to fit with how those games were told. And then was told to deepen it and sound sincere for Frontiers more grounded approach. I do wonder if they’ll continue with this direction, but there seems to be more positive reception to this Sonic voice than any of the other games Smith was casted.

I think a lot of folks tend to not understand just how much direction goes on in voice directing. I've enjoyed Roger Craig Smith as Sonic these past 10 years but I really like the direction he was given in Frontiers. He can be snarky but it isn't played up to 11 thanks to his more calm, deeper delivery of lines. The entire cast sounds like they were told to dial it down for Frontiers.

I'm past the 3rd boss Knight now and all of these bosses have been hype ans it's half the spectacle of the fight and the god damn music spurring you on lol.  I don't think the spectacle in the 3rd fight was as crazy as the 2nd one but Find Your Flame is hype.  I still laugh at the amount of disrespect Sonic put on Wyvern in that fight.

Spoiler

Fuckin tossed his ass up against a mountain!!!

My son has been getting into Sonic music just by proxy and constantly asking me play vocal tracks from the games so far "Endless Possibilities" is probably his favorite at the moment and he's been listening to "Undefeatable", "Break Through It All" and "Find Your Flame" near nonstop.  Hoping to put more time into the 4th island tonight.