Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

sheeeeit, shamelessly stolen from a gfaqs board which stole it from cnet..
https://www.cnet.com/news/the-30-best-video-games-of-the-decade-ranked/

* 30. Outer Wilds (2019)
* 29. Stardew Valley (2016)
* 28. Destiny (2014)
* 27. Overwatch (2016)
* 26. Dota 2 (2013)
* 25. Hotline Miami (2012)
* 24. Alien: Isolation (2014)
* 23. Dead Cells (2018)
* 22. Hollow Knight (2017)
* 21. The Witness (2016)
* 20. League of Legends
* 19. Pokemon Go (2016)
* 18. Gone Home (2013)
* 17. Nier: Automata (2017)
* 16. God of War (2018)
* 15. Rayman Legends (2013)
* 14. The Last Of Us (2013)
* 13. Metal Gear Solid 5 (2015)
* 12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010)
* 11. Horizon Zero Dawn (2017)
* 10. Fortnite (2017)
* 9. The Witcher 3 (2015)
* 8. Mass Effect 2 (2010)
* 7. Bloodborne (2015)
* 6. The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (2011)
* 5. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
* 4. Portal 2 (2011)
* 3. Minecraft (2011)
* 2. Dark Souls (2011)
* 1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

----------

y'know, 1 sad thing about Fortnite... I haven't read all of this yet but I am 99.9999% sure they are NOT talking about the part of the game I actually liked, which was originally the main game.  Most people forgot that even existed.  There's probably people that work at that company that forgot the "save the world" part is a thing.

Edited by MillionX

Not to give too much credit to that list as it has quite a few WTF's on it, but seeing MGSV on it just makes me wonder if I would feel any differently about the game if I gave it another shot now. It's been a few years since the disappointment of it turning out to not be a Metal Gear game. Then again, every time I see more Death Stranding footage it makes me feel even more secure in my initial thought that Kojima has lost his touch. I couldn't force myself to finish it and it felt like the only good aspect of it was the gameplay.

Edited by Zero

Personal bias aside, I find it strange that DCUO and Warframe aren't on the list considering it's a top 30.  In all fairness, I've only played like one or two others on the list, but both of these were born near the start of the decade and are still going.  They're both grindy as hell, and DCUO is becoming pay-to-win, but the fact that they've been here damn near the entire decade speaks quite loudly IMO.  Then again, it might just be me.

One odd omission is Borderlands 2... these lists are always subjective but come on; that's considered one of the greatest in the history of the "looter shooter" genre... in fact it was the Borderlands franchise that truly popularized and made that a thing in the first place....and B2 was superior to the first game in just about every way, imo.

On another note---Ninja Warriors Once Again is out now on Switch!

Soon... 10/29 is the day Vampyr finally hits Switch

My favorite scenes are of course quite the spoiler...ha, I can't even drop a vague hint about it because of how major that scene I'm thinking about it....but mannnnnnn I had to sit back and just revel in the awesomeness in that moment.....ok it involves a certain character showing up out of nowhere, and it was huge deal....it was a jaw-dropper when this character showed up, man.  

...another favorite was a scenario where one of your options on how to proceed involved turning a certain person you were confronting.  This game, man... basically it was everything I've ever wanted in a vampire game, and someone finally produced it.  This game was a dream come true for me.

This showed up in my recommendations....interesting (my baby Deb Ann Woll is into D&D stuff??!?! *nutted ):

Edited by MillionX

nah I haven't heard anything yet; I'm hoping for the best... that it is at least decent/ok in terms of how it runs.  Vampyr doesn't really seem to push the graphical limitations of XB1 or PS4 though, so I'm optimistic that the Switch version won't look/run drastically different in a negative way.

Earlier yesterday the new characters have finally hit GEARS 5:

https://www.gears5.com/operation-1-characters?fbclid=IwAR3iiZvG9CVbC6qdPEWkItGscXTwexPnXSRh5JHgQRZu2WkQKqILIjES-n4

Basically you can get COG Gear ( 🙄) and a "DeeBee" as new hero characters...and General Raam and a noticeably shrunken "Warden" as villain characters...they can either be earned in the game by straight up buying them OR completing certain objectives (this is surprising, considering the modern era of everything being monetized)  COG Gear is a lame generic choice for a character, imo....BUT in December there will be an "Onyx Guard" skin variant for him so that kinda redeems it for me.

Oh, and 2 more Terminator characters are in now...but those cost money... at first this sounds potentially cool....UNTIL you realize these are "Dark Fate" characters we're talking about....yes, they put that "tall MacCauly Culkin" looking girl in there and the "REV-9", which is apparently the name of the new dark-grey Terminator, who always looks like a piece of his head is missing for some reason.  I realize this is a text-book case of "cross-promotion" going on here, but I would definitely prefer other characters from that world... like perhaps the T800 with Arnold's likeness; the 1984 version preferably... or the T-1000, or Kyle Reese, or Terminatrix (Kristanna Loken) , or younger T2-version Sarah Connor.

EDIT---- There is also a Terminator special Horde mode going on from now to 10/29… as you might guess the whole mode is about your squad vs. the machines…so you fight a legion of T800s, REV9s + the other robotic enemies in the game…and it is only 20 waves. (*which might be a bonus for those who complain about 50 waves being too long)

Edited by MillionX

sheeeitttt, I'm still hooked on Gears Horde modes...went to 50 twice last night thru to this morning; leveling up various things.  Jack is such an easy character it's crazy... the only problematic situation is when there's an Ice Scion....that's easily the most dangerous enemy for Jack, imo.  Once you start getting hit by that cryo cannon it's basically over, since the freezing effect naturally slows you down...you don't really have much chance in flying away from it...effectively this becomes the Gears/shooter equivalent of a "touch of death combo".  With your speed drastically impaired by the first hit of the freezing effect, you cannot get away from the rest of it; you're in for a ride on every last bit of that damage and getting downed then.  *Sometimes* I've been able to get away if I was already on the very edge of the Scion's range though.
....and of course a good, productive ultimate is always satisfying; on wave 50 of this last run I used it at such a perfect time, getting sooo much juicy damage on the boss (and possibly the kill; there was so much going on I already forgot) then killed some regular enemies that were left.  So far Jack also has the most fun and interesting ultimate move, at least imo.

ohhhh shit... leaks??? 

cheh,

I enjoy Gears 5, but I would agree with the lack of multiplayer content being quite disappointing...this along with the server issues that popped up today pushed me back to Gears 4 so I could start having more fun again...was in one hell of a Horde session with a random team where 2 quit but the 3 of us that remained continued on for quite a while, despite a having a terribly inadequate base (a combination of things but I'd take most of the blame since on this alt profile my engineer was still a fresh level 2, with only 1 skill card)...oddly enough these factors that made it a struggle also made it more of a thrill...enemies swarming in from all sides because we were set up in a bad spot of the map...and only 3 of us with barely any fortifications....the shit was awesome, man...

...it also appears they left bonus xp in effect, since my engineer went straight from 2 to level 9 just in that one session.

anyway, yeah they need to pick up the pace with the multiplayer content in part 5 for sure... I imagine it's probably a bit embarrassing in the industry if you release a sequel....and yet while it's still new... the fanbase is gradually going BACK to the previous game since they're having more fun with that.

meanwhile----Borderlands 3 stuff!

it's that time to laugh at Bethesda once again

Oddly enough, even though a certain friend I've mentioned  before has unbelievably bad taste....and yep he did buy Fallout 76----I doubt he will be on board for this....at least one of the things we're on the same page about is the very concept of paying repeatedly for 1 game; he agrees that's some pretty stupid shit.  (*oh another quick example---he's very much into that game ARK too...I also bought it on a whim but ended up regretting that purchase... that game is just so awkward, clunky and stupid, man...I at least got some entertainment value out of the fact that your character occasionally has to shit...and you can decide to shit or it will just happen at some point whether you like it or not...ha, until then I've never played a game where your character can shit on him/herself....and they show it too; you can see the shit on the ground!🤣

Edited by MillionX

This fabulous saga continues!  I was also thinking to myself the other day --"watch...the so-called private-worlds will NOT be so private...and that infinite stash WILL be fucked up somehow... just watch.." and boom here we are, folks

🤣 this is GOLD, Jerry...

and there’s so many layers to the comedy here… one thing is that I’m sure this fiasco is actually helping Outer Worlds sell even more

edit—ooooh, now to check out the forums; for some reason it never occurred to me to actually check in on that game’s forums to see the juicy commentary from the fans…oooooh dis gone be good 🤣
ok yeah I’m bookmarking the F76 gamefaqs board; it’s sure to be some fannnnntastic reading entertainment going on there 🤩

Edited by MillionX

hell yeah man... 

but here we are with the worst-kept secret; oh yes it was revealed today at BlizzCon... DIABLO IV, folks...

*nutted 😮

more... with flashes of gameplay

woo lawd yes....of course this is mine day ONE.

Edited by MillionX

oh hell yeah... Necromancer is one of my top picks in D3... I'm hoping they'll bring him back again for part 4.  It works as my "kinda vampire...close enough" character, basically.  The last few times I played, I was using a full Trag'Oul's set build for him, using a lot of that corpse skill that makes them crawl over and explode on enemies + constant blood/skeletal mage summons....huge damage there, and the survivability is great.

One complaint I keep seeing from Gears fans that just hits me as odd... the flashbang grenades... I keep thinking---It's *SUPPOSED* to be some annoying shit.  A stun grenade's purpose is to disorient the hell out of the targets while the squad moves in....what, they think it should just be a minor nuisance that is shrugged off in exactly 1 second?  C'mon now, bruh... in real life I doubt that's a "pleasant" experience being hit with a stun grenade sort of thing.

Edited by MillionX

ohhhh...AND it will be missing some features! 

Okv6kzo.gif

they intend to have achievements but those aren't ready for launch...achievement notifications aren't ready, folks....think about that shit for a minute.... 

this is on top of the absurdity of the very concept--- you're paying a monthly fee I guess for a service....yet you're still paying money on top of that to get games on said service.....games where you own absolutely nothing, and require the internet since duh it's streaming.......  annnnnd they're some slightly older games (all but 1 of them being available on other platforms) being sold at full $60 price tag too... BRUH... 🤣

hooked on Dead Cells once again... on the higher difficulties, it's one of the toughest games I've ever played... to the point where if someone claims they beat 5-cell difficulty, I'd immediately be skeptical until they showed me a video of their playthru....it's that rough....and yet it's actually fair, surprisingly.  There's been very few "oh c'mon that's bullshit" moments in this game....I really can't get enough of it.

I finally finished Bloodstained. What an amazing ride that was. They sure didn't leave anything to be desired in the way of secrets - which is great. I'm at 99.80% map completion and near level 50. I might try to fully complete this game being that I'm not tired of it yet in the slightest.

After several days of email conversations with Kickstarter and Fangamer, I got to the bottom of why my copy hasn't been shipped. Turns out that even after you complete the survey, you later had to confirm your shipping address again before they can mail it. Even after speaking to several people across both places, none of them had an answer for me. Luckily, I decided to clear out my email and came across a confirmation from them in my spam folder from November 8th, so hopefully it will ship soon. I hear the "Special Backer Cover" is simply a cardboard sleeve, with the actual game cover being the same as regular retail, which is ass.

3 hours ago, Zero said:

I finally finished Bloodstained. What an amazing ride that was. They sure didn't leave anything to be desired in the way of secrets - which is great. I'm at 99.80% map completion and near level 50. I might try to fully complete this game being that I'm not tired of it yet in the slightest.

Bloodstained was great.  Afterwards I went on a Castlevania kick and beat all the GBA Castlevania games.

Any of you guys play The Outer Worlds?  Loving it so far.

there's such great customization in Code Vein... but for some reason, once again Bandai Namco doesn't seem to believe in letting the player character be bald.  I don't think there's even a "buzzcut" option....and *most* of the styles look like women's hairstyles, actually.  I've made my character but that's about it so far.

Gears 5 has double exp for Horde mode character xp this weekend so I had to jump on that for a bit.  After all this time I still just have 1 character on 1 of my profiles that's level 15.

oh yeah---another fun moment as Jack earlier today.. Carrier monster showed up, and there happened to be a Scion with a mulcher nearby so I body-hijacked that one...the Scions with mulchers are another good choice... the damage I unloaded then on the Carrier was ridiculous.

Edited by MillionX

y'know, random dream game just popped into mind... if there was a game where you were a pizza delivery person, and it had over-the-top style like Crazy Taxi, where you're doing crazy ramp jumps and blasting thru neighborhoods at 100+ mph, getting bonus points/,money for "stunts" AND getting people their food delivered on time... I'd buy that shit day 1, man.  The more I think about this, the more I want it.

Finally finished The Outer Worlds -- felt like I was playing Fallout: New Vegas again.  Good times.

On 11/24/2019 at 3:32 PM, MillionX said:

y'know, random dream game just popped into mind... if there was a game where you were a pizza delivery person, and it had over-the-top style like Crazy Taxi, where you're doing crazy ramp jumps and blasting thru neighborhoods at 100+ mph, getting bonus points/,money for "stunts" AND getting people their food delivered on time... I'd buy that shit day 1, man.  The more I think about this, the more I want it.

That wouldn't be like Crazy Taxi.  The game you described IS Crazy Taxi.  Better just whip out your Dreamcast. 🙃

Well, as I expected... it's a very slow drip-feed of character content in Gears 5.  "Operation 2" details were released recently, and the 2 new characters are Baird and Lizzie Carmine.  

It's such an odd approach to go that damn slow, when you consider how  much content is going on in other games at the moment... it's pretty obvious they took some slight influence from Overwatch....but if I recall, each character in that game had several "skins" to unlock and choose from right away....

Horde mode in particular---I doubt any of the fans have ever wanted it to make sense in terms of the storyline... so why not at least include the several alternate versions like "Classic" Baird, or "DB Industries Baird" where he has the labcoat, or those old "zombie" skins for everyone, the weird color variants, etc.?  Sheeeitttt, I'd go even further out in left field with robotic versions like "Cybernetic Baird" or "Cyborg Variant Marcus", "Robot Dom", etc., or "Lambent/Infected JD", "Lambent/Infected Kait"... "Swarm Mutant Hybrid Dom" etc. etc. etc.

There's sooo many obvious ways to improve this game, imo... but the sad thing is that I realize they **won't** happen.

yet another reminder of why online-only gaming is a dumb concept...

...and by extension... this is especially timely since that piece of garbage known as the Stadia is out.  One other reason you could lose your games just came to mind--- legal rights/ownership of the IP---let's say Capcom put a game on Stadia and you bought and enjoy that.  What if the ownership of that IP switches over to another company that does NOT want to continue business with Google?  Woops, you can't play that game anymore then, because the new owner of the IP pulled it off Stadia's service.  Or...what if the original owners of the IP simply decide they no longer want to deal with Stadia anymore...or Google decides they don't want this game on their service for whatever reason (perhaps it has a certain political point of view they don't like; or it has scantily clad female characters which we all know is "oh so terrible" these days, and pansy-ass Google doesn't want to promote this game's objectivication of women so they remove it)?  Same result---you bought the game but now you cannot play it, at least not on that silly ass Stadia.  Sadly, I doubt most gamers are considering any of this. 

Edited by MillionX

Gears 5...

haha, and I thought Kait was op before...I just got another skill card that says something like "enemies afflicted with bleed damage take increased shotgun damage".  So, game...what you're saying here is... I have extra shotgun damage on top of the bleed damage which is on top of the *initial* shotgun damage!  hahah you hit them with shotgun, which is already godlike by itself...then there's bleed DOT, then hit them again with another shotgun blast and now the damage amps up even *more*.   Oh and she also has "Predator" cloaking tech as an ultimate....and she gets boosted defense (which lasts for quite a while) off executions.  Bruh... 😄

Another Debbie Downer topic for the day... Upper Echelon is on point with another short rant about the death of game ownership

On another note; I got Ori & the Blind Forest the other day before the sale ended; the visuals in this game are stunningly beautiful...especially the backgrounds...and the atmosphere....the whole thing is just magical... it deserved whatever prestigious awards it got if it ever got any.