Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

Just bought War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron for PC. Shit got pulled off steam so I was forced to buy overpriced digital codes from Amazon. Still can't find a code for Devastation. I really don't want to have to buy a physical copy for PS4. 😭

Also, where is my Yakuza Kiwami 2 announcement!?

On 3/5/2018 at 2:00 PM, misterBee said:

Just bought War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron for PC. Shit got pulled off steam so I was forced to buy overpriced digital codes from Amazon. Still can't find a code for Devastation. I really don't want to have to buy a physical copy for PS4. 😭

Also, where is my Yakuza Kiwami 2 announcement!?

So that's why I couldn't find them on Steam 😧

On 3/5/2018 at 3:06 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

So that's why I couldn't find them on Steam 😧

Activision licensed titles were removed from all digital storefronts. The Transformers titles, Legend of Korra, etc. were all removed.

Just like MvC2 for PS3/360...if you didn't get them while you could, they're gone now forever. 😥

On 3/5/2018 at 4:09 PM, po_pimpus said:

All digital is king, y'all... lol

IKR

I'll never understand digital-only people. Fine, have it however you want, but it's a hard sell to others. Literally the only thing I ever hear is "put I don't need to get up to switch the disc!"

Questioning a 'true' gamer about physical laziness, though....

On 3/6/2018 at 11:14 AM, FMABBisGod said:

IKR

I'll never understand digital-only people. Fine, have it however you want, but it's a hard sell to others. Literally the only thing I ever hear is "put I don't need to get up to switch the disc!"

Questioning a 'true' gamer about physical laziness, though....

I don't care about swapping discs. I DO care about owning less stuff in general. I've lived in multiple countries/cities these past few years, and nothing is worse than trying to figure out how to take all your belongings with you on moving day. It's also easier to keep things tidy and uncluttered when you don't have an entire bookshelf/storage bin that you have to devote to games.

I dunno, I kinda like physical copies of games, mostly because of the instruction manuals and posters. You can't get all this with the digital copy of FFVI on the SNES:

photo32_zps36478486.jpg

Eh? Eh?

Or how about this work of art?

snes-chrono-trigger-manual-02.jpg?w=917

Or *plot twist* how about when Samus was was thought to be a man because of this:

mim05.jpg

Yeah, don't get any of that awesome setup for the big reveal in Metroid with the digital version.

Physical copies are always better.

I don't care for swapping discs or re-selling my games. My physical space is limited and don't have room to have a few bookshelves and storage bins for them all. I'm not a collector so posters, artbooks and booklets hold no value for me. I like OSTs but I prefer that to be digital too. I like the convenience it affords me.

Most of my games are on PC. Even in countries where new PC games still get physical releases, they're actually useless.

It's often a box, the installer put on a bunch of DVDs, and a Steam activation code. You're basically just in it for something to place on a shelf + installer discs. Really quite a waste of time.

"Convenience" is all that shit affords, because you ain't saving money on that nonsense.

I saved a bunch of money going digital. When games go on sale they tend to be super cheap. I spend more money getting a meal at Wendy's compared to when I buy games on Steam, Green Man, Humble Bundle and Fanatical. Game of the Year edition of Shadow of Mordor is $3 right now on Fanatical. Definitely not saving.

On 3/7/2018 at 10:39 AM, Chadouken said:

I dunno, I kinda like physical copies of games, mostly because of the instruction manuals and posters. You can't get all this with the digital copy of FFVI on the SNES:

Reveal hidden contents

photo32_zps36478486.jpg

Eh? Eh?

Or how about this work of art?

Reveal hidden contents

snes-chrono-trigger-manual-02.jpg?w=917

Or *plot twist* how about when Samus was was thought to be a man because of this:

Reveal hidden contents

mim05.jpg

Yeah, don't get any of that awesome setup for the big reveal in Metroid with the digital version.

Physical copies are always better.

Main issue is that these days physical releases don't even come with a manual. You usually get one disc, 1 case, and a 1 page paper insert that doesn't even tell you how to play the game.

In that case, what's the difference between digital and physical? Not a whole lot.

Old games were fun because they came with all that cool stuff. New games don't come with shit anyway.

Digital makes more sense on PC, but if I PC gamed anymore, I'd just pirate shit anyway LOL. Got tired of feeling like a bitch if I didn't have close to the top GPU card, which needed upgrades every 6 months.

However since I console only game, minus CPS2 emus, which anything can run I must have physical. I don't collect, I have only XB1, PS4, 360, and a DC. And I have had nearly every major console for every gen since NES, so it's obvious I don't take too much stock in collecting, as that means I have let a LOT of stuff go. I also like to get money back if possible on shit purchases, I am kind of a release day snob, I don't want any games when they are old news. So each purchase is gonna be a $60. Even this gen alone, I only stand at 20 games (physical) between both, because I have sold and traded shit in,.

If you have to upgrade your PC every 6 months.....you are doing something wrong. I replaced my last gaming laptop after 4 years. I can still run pretty much everything on my old laptop. PC gaming on a laptops is the most expensive way to PC game. With the ridiculous mining craze, I don't see gaming requirements moving much. You can't upgrade a desktop if you want to right now....

On 3/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, po_pimpus said:

I'm talking console. I know PC has deals all the time. Digital is actually worth it on PC.

Recent PSN sales have been matching prices with PC digital marketplaces. I brought the digital version of Mirror's Edge: Catalyst for $5 during their black friday sale. If it starts having 20-25% discounts for pre-purchases it will be in the same ballpark.

If you have to upgrade your PC every 6 months.....you are doing something wrong. I replaced my last gaming laptop after 4 years. I can still run pretty much everything on my old laptop. PC gaming on a laptops is the most expensive way to PC game. With the ridiculous mining craze, I don't see gaming requirements moving much. You can't upgrade a desktop if you want to right now....

Mind you it's been almost 10 years since I PC gamed. Newest and baddest were coming out every 6 months at that point. I haven't paid attention to PC gaming since then. I think the GTX was in the 600 series at the time I stopped.

Things may be different now. IDK.

On 3/8/2018 at 6:35 PM, po_pimpus said:

I'm talking console. I know PC has deals all the time. Digital is actually worth it on PC.

Nigga no they don't PSN gets way more discounts than us. And there's the option for used games. PC developers don't put stuff on disc at all anymore.

Is Soul Caliber not big in asia? Geralt being in made me think about their previous guest characters and Assassins Creed/Star Wars/Witcher don't seem like games that would shift JP copies. (Though it would make sense to have a guest character that would sell as many copies as possible globally, so I get the decision)

y'know, looking back it's pretty funny what kind of guest characters have been in....and how much we've had to suspend disbelief as a result... like Yoda and Vader being in a Soul Calibur.... so we have to pretend that these people with regular ass real-world based weapons can somehow fight evenly with 2 guys that have light saber weapons (that they have mastered)....y'know...weapons that should slice clean through a regular sword and shield like it's nothing.

Bayonetta 2-- the Lumen Goddamn Sage, man... just one of many awesome things in this legendary franchise. Words can't ever do these games justice... you have to play them for yourself.

Hopefully the dude is playable by default in part 3.... I'd make it so him and Jeanne are playable from the start, perhaps with their own storyline. It might be quite a while before I play anything else...

I'm still looking forward to Wizard of Legend (shameless plug: https://twitter.com/contingent99?lang=en ) and Vampyr (shameless plug: https://twitter.com/VampyrGame )this most this year...

Well that has absolutely happened for me in Tekken 7 since its my favorite fighting game franchise and the one i pride myself at being halfway decent at. There are definitely staple characters that need to come back, but if guest characters get more bodies on the game then im all for it.

Give me Ganryu and I will be happy.

So I snagged Yakuza Kiwami for $20 at Best Buy the other day. Fun game, kicking myself for not playing any of these games before. Sorta reminds me of Shenmue in some regards. Thoroughly Japanese game though, which is fine. I don't mind the quirkiness. Didn't expect a softcore FMV strip tease though. Oh Japan, never change.