Stage Select

What do you guys drive? (Car Thread)

According to the dealer shop my car needs ~$12k I’m repairs 😬

Good news: I have to the project car I’ve been wanting lol. I have the Mustang as a daily so I’m ready to get my hands dirty with the Subaru. 

Told the shop to just put some cheap all seasons on there to get it in rolling condition and I’m gonna get it towed to my house. 

Was looking into different sport sedans and came across the TLX Type S. I always thought Honda’s were small and light but the TLX is over 4200 lbs??? That’s within 100lbs of a Widebody challenger, a car on a 15yo (?) chassis and a way bigger engine.

Where is that weight coming from?

Edited by Vhozite
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

jesus GIF

My coworker was just telling me about the 170 this morning shit is bonkers! I thought he was making up the numbers or it was some one-of modded car some YouTuber owns.

I drive a Ford but stuff like this is why Dodge is my favorite manufacturer. Yeah you can meme about the 20 trims their cars have or old bones but at the end of the day they have fun doing cool things nobody else does! 

Also Dodge has gotta have the best marketing team of the big 3 by a country mile. I knew absolutely nothing about this coming and I still heard about it on Monday from 3 different sources. Meanwhile Camaro sales are in free fall  and I couldn’t tell you anything about what GM has done with the model in the last 5 years besides give it a visual refresh. Maybe it’s my imagination but it feels like I hear hellcat mentions in pop culture, social media, and regular conversation 100x more than anything about the GT500 or the ZL1. 

Edit: Now I just need them to drop details on their new I6 in a Charger or Challenger!

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I drive a Ford but stuff like this is why Dodge is my favorite manufacturer. Yeah you can meme about the 20 trims their cars have or old bones but at the end of the day they have fun doing cool things nobody else does! 

Also Dodge has gotta have the best marketing team of the big 3 by a country mile. I knew absolutely nothing about this coming and I still heard about it on Monday from 3 different sources. Meanwhile Camaro sales are in free fall  and I couldn’t tell you anything about what GM has done with the model in the last 5 years besides give it a visual refresh. Maybe it’s my imagination but it feels like I hear hellcat mentions in pop culture, social media, and regular conversation 100x more than anything about the GT500 or the ZL1. 

Dodge made a vehicle that knew what it was and leaned all the way into it. 

IMG_1383.mov

Any suggestions about how to fix this? I’ve taken wheels off cars plenty of times and never ran into this issue.

The lug nut was stripped so I had to buy one of those special sockets to grip and take it off and this was the result. 3 of the lug nuts on the wheel are fine but this one is fucked, and I suspect the one next to it is similarly done…I cracked my 21mm socket trying to get it off.

Before anyone asks I’ve never taken this wheel off or over tightened the lug nuts they were already tight as shit.

Edited by Vhozite
On 3/26/2023 at 6:05 PM, Vhozite said:

IMG_1383.mov

Any suggestions about how to fix this? I’ve taken wheels off cars plenty of times and never ran into this issue.

The lug nut was stripped so I had to buy one of those special sockets to grip and take it off and this was the result. 3 of the lug nuts on the wheel are fine but this one is fucked, and I suspect the one next to it is similarly done…I cracked my 21mm socket trying to get it off.

Before anyone asks I’ve never taken this wheel off or over tightened the lug nuts they were already tight as shit.

Are you using impact tools? For stuff like this, use a cheater bar to provide some god-tier torque slowly. What I have used as a bar is the handle from a floor jack. Slip it over the end and work at it from the furthest end. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1421.jpg

Replaced all 20 lug nuts, including the problem ones from a couple posts ago. Only two of them were completely fucked (both on the same wheel), but there was at least one lug nut on each wheel showing early signs of the same degradation. Bought some good quality aftermarket lug nuts and just replaced them all to save myself the future headache.

For the couple that were really bad, I ended up having to go hammer/chisel to get the cap off, then I had to use a special bastard size socket (19.5mm) that I ordered to get the rest of the lug off. Even with the special sockets (worked great btw, would 100% recommend) I had to He-Man the fuck out of them to get them off. 

Hoping I can do my brakes today 👍🏽 

Heard a hellcat in traffic today and holy shit that supercharger whine is erotic

Ordered new rotors for all 4 corners and one of the ones from the front set was clearly the wrong size. If it was maybe similarly sized I wouldn’t be mad because mistakes happen, but these were obviously mismatched and someone shipping the package noticed and still sent it out. They stacked the smaller box on top of the bigger one and put one of those air bags next to it to take up the extra space like??? If you know you’re shipping me a matched set of rotors and you see you have two different sized boxes why wouldn’t you stop to make sure the order was right lol.

Really not surprised considering the price listed by dealers. It’s unfortunate since I bet at msrp, the car would’ve likely sold much better. Now Nissan may not make another since this one didn’t sell. 

Edit:

Just double checked the local listings. There’s a Z for sale with an msrp of 53k that the dealer is trying to sell at 88k. 

Edited by JGreen

Looking at Ford Maverick as my “responsible adult” next vehicle and apparently I’m surrounded by scum Ford dealers. 

MSRP of the Mav starts at just under 23k, yet there isn’t a single one within 50 miles of me going for less than $30k. Some of them are all the way up to the low 40’s ffs.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:25 PM, Vhozite said:

As your first car? I’m so jealous lol

Yeah! We can’t afford it at the moment. In a matter of months, my father will get his job. We’ll have two major earners in the family. While I await improved immigration papers, I’ll be working my job on campus. With the money I get from that I can lease the car easily. I don’t have any costs besides video games since I’m on a full ride, so I’ll be saving 30% of my paycheck and putting 30% into the car payment every month. Very manageable. 

I’ve booked my driving exam for June, so fingers crossed I’ll have my license by the end of next month!

EDIT:

Since we’re in Minnesota, we get black ice for half the year. Automatic (with paddle shifting) is probably the best option. It has the most electronics so I’ll probably have decent traction control options. It’s more expensive than the full manual mode (which I really want), but it’s not the best idea… 

Edited by Dayaan
34 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Looking at Ford Maverick as my “responsible adult” next vehicle and apparently I’m surrounded by scum Ford dealers. 

MSRP of the Mav starts at just under 23k, yet there isn’t a single one within 50 miles of me going for less than $30k. Some of them are all the way up to the low 40’s ffs.

I had the exact same issue when my wife wanted a Bronco, dealers were asking Lexus prices 😒

Thinking about taking the manual plunge and getting a WRX. I like the convenience of automatic but the WRX is the only car that checks all my other boxes

4 doors

AWD

Sporty

Not terrible on gas

Big aftermarket

Not super heavy or large

The Mustang is great but I don’t like how much I’m spending on a 12 year old car that isn’t particularly fun to drive (in very large part to the auto trans).

Edited by Vhozite

What don’t you like about the mustang auto? Is it specific to the mustang auto or just autos in general? I’m a big fan of manuals and that’s my daily, but you’ll definitely have more car options that check off those boxes if you include auto. 

19 minutes ago, JGreen said:

What don’t you like about the mustang auto? Is it specific to the mustang auto or just autos in general? I’m a big fan of manuals and that’s my daily, but you’ll definitely have more car options that check off those boxes if you include auto. 

It’s bad at almost everything that isn’t low rpm highway cruising.

At low speeds (think parking lot/neighborhoods) it’s super lurchy anything more than literally 10% throttle at ~5mph and the tranny will immediately start hunting for second gear. What ends up happening is that you get a few seconds of revving with no acceleration until the car slams you into 2nd. 

In terms of fun factor the transmission programming sucks. The redline in my car ~7000 RPM, and the car will never rev above 2000 unless you’re giving it like 70% throttle…at which point it’ll shift at 3000 lol. Anything higher and you gotta be a WOT, and letting off the gas even a tiny bit it’ll revert right back to granny mode upshifting prematurely. If you’re already in over drive and you give it some gas you either get no balls until you force a downshift, which takes about 10 years. 

I had a daily driver standard Hyundai Accent I bought after college.  I drove it for 5 years and bought it for 400 bucks because the motor was blown.  It was pretty fun, it struggled to go above 85 though lol.

I almost replaced it with the standard accord V6 they made in 2015, but I didn't want to have a car my wife couldn't drive.

Edited by J-ride
7 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I drove stick for the very first time today. I was constantly stalling in a parking lot but I’ve never had so much fun at 15 mph lmao. I love it.

Part of the learning experience. You’ll get a feel for where the engagement point and probably never stall again. Each car is a little different, but I’ve found the feel to be similar between the various manuals I’ve driven. You’ll also learn to know when you need to give it more gas because the engagement isn’t quite there. Just don’t try learning stick on a hill 😂

8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Why do Jeep owners have a manger's worth of figurines on their dashboard? I've noticed this is mainly a Jeep owner thing, I never see anyone else doing this.

Because how will other people know how quirky you are if you don’t have every square foot of your Heep molested by some kind of personalization or mod. 

Edited by Vhozite
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Just got a hybrid car. It is indeed better on gas then my previous vehicle. Although with my commute that is only a slight difference. Surprised by how much noise makes though.

In my experience, hybrids are just as loud as ICE vehicles. Unless they have some sort of all electric mode like the Corvette E-Ray. Electrics on the other hands are so quit that some companies have options to pump in fake engine noise. What kind of hybrid did you get? Do you a lot of city or highway driving? Hybrids give a big boost to city MPG.

Side note: Sorry for twenty questions, I'm inquisitive by nature.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

In my experience, hybrids are just as loud as ICE vehicles. Unless they have some sort of all electric mode like the Corvette E-Ray. Electrics on the other hands are so quit that some companies have options to pump in fake engine noise. What kind of hybrid did you get? Do you a lot of city or highway driving? Hybrids give a big boost to city MPG.

Side note: Sorry for twenty questions, I'm inquisitive by nature.

Toyota Camry, I knew they were somewhat loud with sound as they are backing up but even in the car I can hear it with additional sounds at times. I know they said there is a mode to mute the extra sounds in neighborhoods in the manual but I didn't pay it much mind. As long as it helps with the mileage, as I do a more then fair bit of highway and city driving during the week, then it can blast out opera music for people around me to hear as I stop for all I care.

Oh and the environment too. I also did this for the environment. Yeah...

39 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Toyota Camry, I knew they were somewhat loud with sound as they are backing up but even in the car I can hear it with additional sounds at times. I know they said there is a mode to mute the extra sounds in neighborhoods in the manual but I didn't pay it much mind. As long as it helps with the mileage, as I do a more then fair bit of highway and city driving during the week, then it can blast out opera music for people around me to hear as I stop for all I care.

Oh and the environment too. I also did this for the environment. Yeah...

We have a hybrid. Honda CRV. Great mileage and the power delivery is far more responsive than the gas one. It's loud as shit, especially in reverse like yours. Sounds like one long Tinkerbell fart. Great fuel economy though, for a family vehicle doing an hour of commute on a daily basis, minimum.

I'm still attached to the idea of getting a GR86, and it'll be a little sad if I get a hybrid, but that's probably where I'll go. Can't afford electric, but I'll need to make smart choices.

Ngl I would go electric for my next vehicle if I had a reliable way to charge it. While I hate the weight and lack of sound I like the idea of there being a lot more freedom to use space because you don’t have an engine or transmission up front. I like fast cars and one thing I absolutely hate is how every front engine car with more than 5 cylinders needs a mile long hood to hold the engine. I hoping with the skateboard style platforms everyone is using we can get more smaller cars with high HP. 

Also as someone who does most of the repairs and maintenance on their own car I’m super looking forward to not having to do oil changes or constantly check on brakes. 

• 3 months later...

@OPTIMUS124Yeah that is pretty funny. However, there is also the other side of it. Where people confuse displacement with actual physical engine size and weight. A BMW N63 (4.4L)  V8 weights more than Chevrolet LT2 (6.2L) V8. The N63 is 503lbs. The LT2 is 472Lbs. It's not just displacement but engine type that matters. A DOHC V8 like the N63 is physically larger than a OHV V8 like the LT2. This the reason why the original CTS-V had an LS6 (5.7L) V8 in it instead of a Northstar (4.6L) V8. They would have had to use forced induction to get a Northstar V8 that had the same power output at the LS6 and that would have made it too large to fit in the engine bay. Not only that the LS6 weighs less (355lbs) than the standard Northstar (403lbs). A Northstar with forced induction would be even heavier.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@OPTIMUS124Yeah that is pretty funny. However, there is also the other size of it. Where people confuse displacement with actual physical engine size and weight.A BMW N63 (4.4L)  V8 weights more than Chevrolet LT2 (6.2L) V8. The N63 is 503lbs. The LT2 is 472Lbs. It's not just displacement but engine type that matters. A DOHC V8 like the N63 is physically larger than a OHV V8 like the LT2. This the reason why the original CTS-V had an LS6 (5.7L) V8 in it instead of a Northstar (4.6L) V8. They would have had to use forced induction to get a Northstar V8 that had the same power output at the LS6 and that would have made it too large to fit in the engine bay. Not only that the LS6 weighs less (355lbs) than the standard Northstar (403lbs). A Northstar with forced induction would be even heavier.

Absolutely. You also have torque. Power to weight ratio is absolutely a thing. I appreciate all of this. 

The car community really is all up in arms about EVs vs. ICE as if it's a war of factions. It's just how the vehicle propels itself. At the same time, a lot of enthusiasts love things about the car that are actually inefficiencies or waste by-products. I've seen tons of posts about how EVs are so quiet. The reality is that sexy exhaust is really just a tuned fart 🤣. I love my V8, but people need to chill with the EV hate. There is some cool tech out there. 

I was coming out of an EZ pass booth and there was a Model 3 behind and we were both moving, but jfc the difference in speed is nuts. Like you said my car has a V8 and is faster than probably 85% of cars on the road and he blew the doors off my car when he decided he didn’t want me keeping up anymore lol. Don’t get me wrong my car sounds great, but it also felt silly making so much noise for my to get instantly gapped even already going over 100 lol. 

That aside, there just aren’t any EVs I like even though I like the concept. The EVs we have now I wouldn’t but even if they were ICE because they’re heavy as fuck, way faster than I want for a public road, they’re expensive, and most of them are shaped like eggs lol. I think a lot of tunes will change when we get something like an affordable Tesla Roadster or the equivalent of an EV Miata.