Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

37 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I don’t care too much now, because it may change, but I am curious how much throw invulnerability there is on your wakeup and after block stub. There definitely is on former, not 100% on the latter, but it seems like it

I think its like 7 frames on wake up? Or maybe I'm thinking of another GG. Regardless there is almost always throw invulnerability on wake up so if you want to pressure you don't want to do it with raw throw. Learned that the hard way.

Be thankful it isn't the instant throws of +R I guess.  I actually realized during the Strive beta that I was playing around instant wake up throws and when I remembered that isn't an option I was all like 

up to something plotting GIF

8 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

God damn it. I got gatekept out of Heaven. It’s a whole another world up there. 

@GetTheTables , @Mattatsu Either of you want to play a few? I assume it’s late wherever you guys are though, so I understand if you don’t.

I powered it off, but I’ll hop on again. Reached floor 7 and thought that was a good place to call it a night. Gimme a few

22 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

God damn it. I got gatekept out of Heaven. It’s a whole another world up there. 

@GetTheTables , @Mattatsu Either of you want to play a few? I assume it’s late wherever you guys are though, so I understand if you don’t.

Unfortunately I am both slightly drunk (not necessarily a problem) and I have something else I need to do for an hour or two before bed (bigger problem). 

Good luck lining up park games. May the server ever be in your favor.

15 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

One thing I remember seeing in the menus was I think player match? That will be a godsend for moments like this.

The parks are awesome for long-form casual play but having to be like "meet me by the bridge, I'll wear a red carnation and the code phrase is 'Heavy Day'" when you want to play someone specific is still dumb. 

Facts. 

Words cannot described how bewildered I was when I first played DBFZ vs Dayaan and it wasn't like, "Just press a button to open your friend list or insert player name" to invite.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Straight up. Imagine running online tournaments in this kind of setting. 

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

It did. I actually want to see the Rev2 story again, I completely forgot Jack-o turned into Aria

Fucking spoilers man JFC 😡😡😡

J/K GG story is fucking looney tunes nonsense. I say that with all the love in my heart.

I'm planning to continue to fill the time before Strive with consistent GG. I'll mostly still be playing +R (can't say no to that netcode) but if you want to fire up Xrd just let me know and if we can line up times I'm down.

Edited by GetTheTables

Tried +R... I must have been doing it wrong. I was under the impression that there was a ton of people playing but I could only find two rooms when I went to quick player match, and only one person in ranked (but it wouldn’t let me play them for some reason).

In the player match section, one room had 2 people and the other only had 1. It wasn’t that much more populated than Rev2’s rooms (in fact, Rev2 may have more IIRC - granted, distance matters more in Rev2 due to the netcode).

I just wanted to test it out on my laptop though and it runs fine enough. Was fun. +R Millia is like 90% the same character as her Rev2 version (though the +R air combos are way more open) but at least it made it somewhat easy to play... not easy to win though lol. Got my ass handed to me very quickly.

I’ll definitely play it sometime if @Volt, @GetTheTables, or anyone else is down. Again, I’m also open to Rev2 on PS, which I may just play more because Rev2 is prettier, sounds better (IMO), seems a tad more similar to Strive and I’d prefer to play on PS for several reasons, but I just want to play so whatever you guys want to play is fine.

also, the game does seem really cool. Seems like something I would have loved back in the day had I heard about it

Edited by Mattatsu
7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Tried +R... I must have been doing it wrong. I was under the impression that there was a ton of people playing but I could only find two rooms when I went to quick player match, and only one person in ranked (but it wouldn’t let me play them for some reason).

In the player match section, one room had 2 people and the other only had 1. It wasn’t that much more populated than Rev2’s rooms (in fact, Rev2 may have more IIRC - granted, distance matters more in Rev2 due to the netcode).

I just wanted to test it out on my laptop though and it runs fine enough. Was fun. +R Millia is like 90% the same character as her Rev2 version (though the +R air combos are way more open) but at least it made it somewhat easy to play... not easy to win though lol. Got my ass handed to me very quickly.

I’ll definitely play it sometime if @Volt, @GetTheTables, or anyone else is down. Again, I’m also open to Rev2 on PS, which I may just play more because Rev2 is prettier, sounds better (IMO), seems a tad more similar to Strive and I’d prefer to play on PS for several reasons, but I just want to play so whatever you guys want to play is fine.

also, the game does seem really cool. Seems like something I would have loved back in the day had I heard about it

If I'm not at work, odds are I'll be up for some games. 👍

I dunno it may not be that dire. Part of it is having a decent command normal to cancel to from 5P/2P and/or 5K/6K so you can actually get pickups off quick punishes or lows. Otherwise you end up having jack shit for damage in fairly common scenarios in this game (that I think will only become more important as the game goes on and people tighten up their game). Sol is particularly blessed because 6S combos off of Ps and Ks and 6S is a nice long button so he doesn't have to worry about it whiffing.

Sajam put together a quick video that highlights the issue and some of the haves vs have nots:

10 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Tried +R... <snip>

Yeah +R does still have some of the "finding random anime games online" issue. For what its worth I've had decent luck looking for rooms but also creating my own open room and hanging out in there for a bit. There is a weirdly decent amount of churn and people in that game have a decent shot of sticking around for a longer set of games. I really want them to implement the player quick match they had in the last beta they ran; that made it super easy to just jump from game to game.

Like Volt said, if I'm around I'm definitely up for playing (though my weekday hours are funky I'm trying to play consistently on M/W/T/F from 4:30-5:30 EST at least). I'm up  for either game. I vastly prefer Xrd Johnny (who wouldn't?), one of the reasons I picked HoS in +R, and like you said that game is damn pretty. +R has an oldschool charm but Xrd is an undeniable step up. Especially if you're a Millia main. I don't like her +R design too much.

Also this is a fun one. I usually don't like reaction vids but he goes into some of how the song was put together and hits on some influences.

Edited by GetTheTables
13 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Anyone up for Rev2 on PS in a bit, or sometime this weekend?

What happened to the Ken HP Uppercut Fiesta???

(j/k I read the SFV thread. Fuck SFV's hobbled netcode.)

I'm up for Rev2 sometime this weekend. I'll be free this afternoon until probably 4ish, then I'll be back around probably after 10. Will also have time tomorrow but that is a developing situation. I kinda want to do the same thing I did with HoS and learn an Xrd character I think isn't going to show up again but I don't like any of the obvious candidates. Maybe Jack-O.

4 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

What happened to the Ken HP Uppercut Fiesta???

(j/k I read the SFV thread. Fuck SFV's hobbled netcode.)

I'm up for Rev2 sometime this weekend. I'll be free this afternoon until probably 4ish, then I'll be back around probably after 10. Will also have time tomorrow but that is a developing situation. I kinda want to do the same thing I did with HoS and learn an Xrd character I think isn't going to show up again but I don't like any of the obvious candidates. Maybe Jack-O.

Yeah, fuck SFV lmao

sorry, I just saw this message now and about to have a late lunch with the wife, so I probably can’t play before 4, but should be okay late tonight if you are around or tomorrow as well (though I’ll likely be busy during the day).

also, I think Jack-O may show up in Strive as she was in the Strive story trailer.

Bedman may not show up in Strive. Venom as well (just going by the Rev2 story).

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, fuck SFV lmao

sorry, I just saw this message now and about to have a late lunch with the wife, so I probably can’t play before 4, but should be okay late tonight if you are around or tomorrow as well (though I’ll likely be busy during the day).

also, I think Jack-O may show up in Strive as she was in the Strive story trailer.

Bedman may not show up in Strive. Venom as well (just going by the Rev2 story).

No worries the way my day shook out playing before 4 wouldn't have worked out anyways. I'll ping you on here when I'm free later. Will probably be a bit after 10pm.

Re: chars (spoiler tagging for anyone that somehow cares)

Spoiler

For Jack-O she ends up shifting to a different character. So even if she comes back in Strive I'd imagine she'd play quite differently (also because the way she works in Xrd is real goofy). 

Been forever since I watched the Rev2 story but IIRC Venom and Bedman are both dead? Not that it means much in a game with two time wizards. Again I also may be forgetting some shenanigans from the last bits of the story.

Of all the Xrd alums not already in Strive I think Elphelt is a lock. She has a whole dangling story thread from Xrd and I think she was a pretty popular character? If nothing else I think she has the Baiken/I-No "oh if she gets into the game I'm maining her!" appeal that should be good for some DLC sales followed immediately by most of those people never playing the game again. Sin also seems really, really likely just due to his position in the story and again I think general popularity but I could see them sitting on him for a bit.

Raven could technically come back but I dunno how popular he is/was. I think Answer will be be chillin in Xrd for awhile. I legit forget he was even introduced. Anyone else I forgot made even less of an impression than Answer did. 🙂

@GetTheTables good points. Reply in spoilers for Rev2 spoilers.

Spoiler

good point about Jack-O. She’s still Jacko-O Valentine but she’s a lot more Aria now, who wasn’t a fighter, so yeah, if she is a playable character, she’ll likely be different. She may not even be playable because again, Aria.

Bedman dies, yes.

Venom essentially gives up IIRC. I do know in the after story sections of Rev2, he completely gives up fighting and opens a bakery.

I also agree that Elphelt and Sin are likely to come back, along with Dizzy. Baiken will probably as well, not because of importance, but titties, lol. Answer and Hyuehan/Kum probably won’t return. 

47 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

@GetTheTables sorry man, I won’t be able to play tonight after all

No worries bro, I know how life shakes out sometimes. Hope everything is good. If you're free tomorrow evening I can probably swing some game time.

Also Rev2/char stuff: 

Spoiler

Oh shit I completely forgot about Kum (phrasing)! And we even played a bunch. 😆 I'd be up for her coming back but yeah you can't have a waifu inside an old man robot. Put her in a robot with some really nice tits and there ya go. Could still be an old man robot, just throw some R. Mika level torpedoes on the front of it and watch the fan art roll in.

Speaking of nice tits, to your point there is about a -10% chance that Baiken and Dizzy don't come back in one of these rounds of DLC. They are both a) legacy characters that have legit reasons to keep showing up in the games, and b) waifu titty bait so an easy mark for "true fans of the character". Johnny is also a lock because its fucking Johnny. I'd like to see Venom come back in some form just because his gameplay is neat (not my style but c'mon that is a cool fuckin' gimmick). Maybe he can have a protégé or somethin.

Playing HoS has slightly infected my brain. I've been scoping Giovanna as a possible candidate to maul some motherfuckers when Strive comes out. Ram is great but now I have a bit of bloodlust. 😅 And its probably not a bad idea to have a secondary for her in case a balance patch fuckin' destroys her (I'm not sure how likely that is though, I think she is just blessed with a really strong kit a la Kid Buu/Bardock or Akuma/Rashid that even if they take the bat to her she'll still be a mofo).

6 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

No worries bro, I know how life shakes out sometimes. Hope everything is good. If you're free tomorrow evening I can probably swing some game time.

Also Rev2/char stuff: 

Hide contents

Oh shit I completely forgot about Kum (phrasing)! And we even played a bunch. 😆 I'd be up for her coming back but yeah you can't have a waifu inside an old man robot. Put her in a robot with some really nice tits and there ya go. Could still be an old man robot, just throw some R. Mika level torpedoes on the front of it and watch the fan art roll in.

Speaking of nice tits, to your point there is about a -10% chance that Baiken and Dizzy don't come back in one of these rounds of DLC. They are both a) legacy characters that have legit reasons to keep showing up in the games, and b) waifu titty bait so an easy mark for "true fans of the character". Johnny is also a lock because its fucking Johnny. I'd like to see Venom come back in some form just because his gameplay is neat (not my style but c'mon that is a cool fuckin' gimmick). Maybe he can have a protégé or somethin.

Playing HoS has slightly infected my brain. I've been scoping Giovanna as a possible candidate to maul some motherfuckers when Strive comes out. Ram is great but now I have a bit of bloodlust. 😅 And its probably not a bad idea to have a secondary for her in case a balance patch fuckin' destroys her (I'm not sure how likely that is though, I think she is just blessed with a really strong kit a la Kid Buu/Bardock or Akuma/Rashid that even if they take the bat to her she'll still be a mofo).

The whole chick inside an old man robot is stupid as hell. I still hate it lol. I rewatched the Rev story yesterday and today and in the confines of the movie, there is no reference to it. It just seems like Huehan is an old man. That’s it. And he eats some of Jam’s rice and loves it..... I mean like actual rice 😅

and Gio in Strive is cool. She’s a good candidate for my secondary, but I may actually try Pot. I’ve been meaning to try a grappler for a long ass time and he’s the first one I’m actually interested in playing

also, yeah, everything’s fine. Just sorry tonight couldn’t work out. My wife started not feeling well and crashed early and I had recently relocated my setup to a room beside our bedroom and the Hitbox thwacking (which is obscene during GG games lol) would’ve been too much. I will be around tomorrow, but only likely in the evening/night. I have a few things to do during the day.

Edited by Mattatsu
7 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

The whole chick inside an old man robot is stupid as hell. I still hate it lol. I rewatched the Rev story yesterday and today and in the confines of the movie, there is no reference to it. It just seems like Huehan is an old man. That’s it. And he eats some of Jam’s rice and loves it..... I mean like actual rice 😅

and Gio in Strive is cool. She’s a good candidate for my secondary, but I may actually try Pot. I’ve been meaning to try a grappler for a long ass time and he’s the first one I’m actually interested in playing

also, yeah, everything’s fine. Just sorry tonight couldn’t work out. My wife started not feeling well and crashed early and I had recently relocated my setup to a room beside our bedroom and the Hitbox thwacking (which is obscene during GG games lol) would’ve been too much. I will be around tomorrow, but only likely in the evening/night. I have a few things to do during the day.

I think with Kum and Bedman they hit on the quirkiness of GG characters but definitely didn't make a solid connection. They're a little....too quirky. But hey better to try than not.

If you were ever going to play Pot this definitely seems like the game to do it. The way this game plays is going to be a lot more welcoming to his archetype than past GGs have been.

And yeah GG on the hitbox is a lot of noise. Just doing regular stuff makes it sound like you are a Korean Starcraft player. 

I should be around later tonight. Meeting up with a buddy today probably to hang out for a bit but I think that'll be more mid-day. If you end up with time in the evening hit me up and if I can hop on I definitely will.