Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

So I went ahead and watched The Rev2 chapters...... what the fuck was that shit? That third cake “whodunit” was exceptionally terrible... I actually wish I didn’t watch that. The first one was good, but each one got worse.

one thing I forgot to mention about the Rev1 story is how awesome of a job the VA for the Sanctus Maximus/Universal Will was. She sounded like an absolute lunatic. 

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

tl;dr for family men? 

Ramlethal declares war on mankind.

then a large structure appears over a city and when it leaves, all life in the city (humans and animals) vanish without a trace.

Sol, Ky, etc go to fight Ram.

Elphelt, Ram’s sister, stops Ram from killing them all.

Ram and Elphelt were tools created by their mother for specific purposes. Elphelt had an awakening though, and instead of being evil like her sister, she experiences emotion and feels empathy for the humans. Ram becomes mostly powerless because of Elphelt’s control over her, and the two of them are brought in by Sol, Ky, Sin, etc for questioning.

the Conclave (a group of three people who have ties with most of the world governments) and run the PWAB are controlling the structure and were working with Ram.

Bedman, who is working for a mysterious woman (who is Ram’s and Elphelt’s mother), keeps intervening to stop the humans. They seem to be on the same side as the conclave.

within this structure that wiped out a city is the corpse of Justice. We learn the conclave’s plan is to bind Justice with a soul, and revive Justice’s body to “standardize” humanity through war, until there is no free will, and we follow the plan/orders.

during this time, the humans, Sin especially, works to awaken emotions in Ram too and make her good.

The humans (and all world governments) join together to foil the revival of Justice, but all they’re really able to do is kill the Conclave members, but Justice’s body is still intact (just without a soul and while it was being revived, the humans stopped it before it could fully awaken). we learn that Ky is part gear as well, during this.

We learn the “mother” is the mastermind behind everything, and the conclave failing but making Justice’s body available was part of her plan. She didn’t want them to fulfill their goal for humanity, she wanted Justice to fulfill her own.

Also, while Ram is pretty much good now, Elphelt suddenly switches to evil, as her mother programmed her to do this and gain the trust of the humans to monitor them until Justice was revived (which she was, albeit temporarily). Through the power of friendship (and Ram), Elphelt is brought back to good, but her and Justice’s body are teleported away.

That Man explains that the mother/“Universal Will” wants to kill all of humanity, because she deems that true humans have souls, but the current version of mankind dreams of futures where there’s always peace and everyone gets along (ie, there is no conflict), and by her definition, we forfeit our freewill/souls by doing this (no conflict = no unique thoughts, etc), so this current version of mankind are not true humans. She intends to replace them with another type. 

she plans to bind Elphelt’s soul with Justice, who she’ll be able to control better in that form who will wipe out the current version of humanity.

during this time she unleashes these massive gears in cities to start the destruction.

we also learn that That Man created Justice not to kill humanity, but to save Aria from dying from her terminal and incurable disease. This is why he made Sol a gear too, so he could give them both immortality until he found a way to reunite them properly. The Universal Will took over Justice though and that’s why she started the crusades 100 years ago.

That Man also introduces Jack-O whose spirit is like half Aria’s and if they’re able to bind Jack-O with Justice, then Justice will instead turn into a human form of Aria (or close version of it, with Aria memories) and her and Sol can live happily ever after... And this basically happens and the Ultimate Will is defeated.

That Man (who was deemed a war criminal many years ago for creating Justice) turns himself in. Raven (who was working for That Man) seems to have a vendetta against Sol unrelated to this story, but this is basically where the story ends...

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

So I went ahead and watched The Rev2 chapters...... what the fuck was that shit? That third cake “whodunit” was exceptionally terrible... I actually wish I didn’t watch that. The first one was good, but each one got worse.

one thing I forgot to mention about the Rev1 story is how awesome of a job the VA for the Sanctus Maximus/Universal Will was. She sounded like an absolute lunatic. 

After Story C is gold.

Was probably an attempt on BB-esque gag reels, which is just supposed to be funny without much else.

And yeah ASW can pick real good VAs, Terumis crazy laugh can be used as a message sound.

8 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

That third cake “whodunit” was exceptionally terrible

Thought you wouldn’t like that one. Historically, both Guilty Gear and Blazblue had these gag story paths that you can fall into. All sense is thrown out the window and anything can happen. It’s a real love or hate it thing. 

4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

Remember when we had the Strive beta?

Good times.

This next month is going to be brutal. I just want to play Ram and Faust with good netcode again.

11 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Thought you wouldn’t like that one. Historically, both Guilty Gear and Blazblue had these gag story paths that you can fall into. All sense is thrown out the window and anything can happen. It’s a real love or hate it thing. 

I probably reacted that way because I didn’t know these were a thing, and I assumed that the Rev2 stories were going to setup a story for Strive, since basically everything (other than Sol vs That Man, and Venom/robo-Ky) was wrapped up in a perfect package at the end of the Revelator chapters. I also powered my way through them all in one day and was expecting it all to end with a big bang or cliff-hanger.

Story A seemed like a good start for my expectations. Story B was cool, but I still expected it to tie into Story A eventually, but it didn’t, and it’s ending was a little anti-clamatic for my expectations/hopes. Then C (the “classified” story, and the longest one, which both had me hyped) starts, and it had nothing to do with anything, lol.

I should have realized with the stories being listed as A, B, or C (instead of numbered chapters like the rest of it), that they were going to be different.

Anyways, I still enjoyed the experience a lot. The story was fucking epic and had some cool themes and ideas (like how human’s dream for tomorrow is imperfect). Honestly, probably the best FG story I’ve seen... I remember ragging on it a while ago that you just sat and watched it, that there were no fights and things, but honestly, I think that’s for the best. Enjoy it as a movie, instead of having a controller in your lap and eventually mashing “skip custscene” because you just want to press some buttons

4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

Remember when we had the Strive beta?

Good times.

It honestly changed my whole FG trajectory. The netcode was so incredible that I loathe the idea of playing half of the FGs I used to play. It’s gameplay was also super fun, so now, all I really want to play is other GG games (mostly Rev2)... It’s actually been nice because I used to approach Rev2 as a faster “street fighter” game, instead of more of its own thing, and I’m having more fun with it now than i ever have.

it’s gotten so bad that I feel like I’m on a similar path that @Mr.Cipher albeit a few years later... several times now, I’ve had to fight the urge to post in the SFV Lounge things like “Why are you all still playing this shit?! What is wrong with you guys?!” 🤣

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Story A seemed like a good start for my expectations. Story B was cool, but I still expected it to tie into Story A eventually, but it didn’t, and it’s ending was a little anti-clamatic for my expectations/hopes. Then C (the “classified” story, and the longest one, which both had me hyped) starts, and it had nothing to do with anything, lol.

I should've warned you about that one. 🤣

Story A was really good. B was mostly there to wrap up the whole assassin's guild storyline. C was literally a joke.

So now that you know a bit more about the lore, are you more invested in GG as a whole? Are you looking forward to more than just "dat netcode" in Strive?

53 minutes ago, Volt said:

So now that you know a bit more about the lore, are you more invested in GG as a whole?

For sure, I just finished typing a draft theorizing the story for Strive (or at least what it could be about), but opted to delete it as I don’t want to create any expectations for myself or you guys as far as the story goes. I did that leading up to MK11 and the story went in a completely different direction and it annoyed me at first.

53 minutes ago, Volt said:

Are you looking forward to more than just "dat netcode" in Strive?

I know you didn’t mean this as cut and dry as I’m about the make it sound, but while the Strive’s netcode is the best I have experienced, I really loved the gameplay. Truly, the most fun i’ve had playing a new FG in a while (maybe since MVC2). I know that it will rub some GG vets the wrong way, and while I’ve only ever really dabbled in Rev2, I liked what I played in Strive more.

also, regarding the keeping/losing legacy players, i feel like it will matter on who their main was to a certain extent. Yeah, the mechanics are different and the game feels/plays a bit different, but it seems like some characters are mostly playing their same playstyle, while others were somewhat neutered, so a dedicated Chipp main may like Strive less than a dedicated Potemkin main would. From what I’ve seen (my low level ass), Millia is mostly playing the same game, but Strive is zoomed in a bit more, so it may actually help her out, though the slower (and more obvious) air dashes is likely a bit of a nerf. I also prefer her tools in Strive over Rev2. 

Edit to add: i meant to touch on this (and why I started my reply to your quote that way), i’m not going to play a game I don’t really like just for its netcode. GBVS could get patched with Strive’s netcode tomorrow, and I still wouldnt play it... Nothing against GBVS, it just wasn’t for me.

Also, Strive made me realize that i have the most fun with fast, rushdown, characters/games - especially ones with aerial bullshit. This is largely what drew me to MVC2. I do love slower and more methodical games (3S, Samsho, etc) but I think that’s partially because I do better in that style of play. I am absolute ass at catching someone by surprise with an air dash jump in, and/or landing long, challenging combos, but i have the absolute time of my life trying.

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

For sure, I just finished typing a draft theorizing the story for Strive (or at least what it could be about), but opted to delete it as I don’t want to create any expectations for myself or you guys as far as the story goes. I did that leading up to MK11 and the story went in a completely different direction and it annoyed me at first.

And now you know why Story Gang makes such a big fuss about single-player content in FGs. 🤣

It helps players be more invested in a franchise than say, GBVS's basic bitch anime with a bunch of boring cliché characters. I couldn't even finish up the anime for that nonsense, why would I care about the story? And the content itself is wack in terms of gameplay from what I heard.

Then I hit training mode for a bit (don't ask) and noticed some clunky stuff, namely the autocombos being very intrusive because when you're trying to do links you can mess up the timing and get ACs instead. I also mash to do links, so that's definitely not going to work for me in that game. 🤣 Their damage was also outrageously bad.

And even if I did give it a fair shot, the netcode is basura and no one here plays it.

Meanwhile, I had a bunch of super casual friends buy Injustass 1 because of the story and established characters and actually ran a ton of offline sets with them. Just off the story and people being invested in the characters.

a decent watch. PS4 ran fine, but I could tell some of the line art in the characters were a bit pixelated (easier to see when they weren’t in motion) and that it would like better on a PS5. Happy to see the performance is fine between all consoles though.... secretary hoping I get I PS5 for my b-day in the next few weeks but they’re apparently still impossible to find so I doubt it. PS4 version is still completely fine though, I’m just being greedy 🤣

21 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ve been absolutely nuts and just watched all of Rev1’s story today as well... Though I did skip the arcade stories,

Wouldn't recommend that... Sure a lot of them overlap, but the ones that aren't just a direct prequel to the Rev Story (Read: Axl, Raven and I-No) are definitely something to keep an eye on for when Strive drops. Especially now that I-No is in and looking like a full-blown boss again.

@Volt that’s good to know. I thoght they were all prequels, and I know me, and I’m fairly certain that had I sat there and watched the Rev2 arcade endings, I wouldn’t have been hyped to watch the Rev story that day, and may honestly not have gotten back into it. I’m glad i took the stupid amount of time yesterday to knock off the main stories. I’ll play through the arcade modes of everyone as i play rev2 over the next month or so

45 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Accent Core on Steam has a new beta up. Features some new training and replay options.

Holy shit.

And there's a good chance all of these are getting ported to Strive just like how the netcode was.

ArcSys keeps on winning, Anime stans rise up!!!

6 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Is ASW handling the steam port of +R? Because if they’re not, I don’t know if these features will be brought to strive

Also, i need to get over my utter distaste for gaming on my POS laptop and try this game out

ArcSys is handling everything about +R.

Sadly, I don't think the Switch version got those updates, or any other console for the matter. 

I actually deleted Smash Ultimate from my Switch to make room for +R so I could have some training mode functions to try and get used to Strive Gatlings.

Unfortunately, Jam doesn't seem to get any specials to cancel out of her K moves, so that didn't work too well. (Yes, I specifically used Jam because she's not in Strive. Don't wanna mess up my muscle memory.) Slayer didn't work as well, the urge to just loop Big Bang Uppers was too strong. 🤣

1 hour ago, ZioSerpe said:

???

Team French Caliburst did the rollback patch. All ArcSys did was provide the source code once they caught wind of this fan project, and pay Mike Z until it got out to the public they were using Mike Z, which is when they fired Mike Z.

Yeah that’s right, I remember reading about this when they fired Mike Z.

I believe ASW was involved in the collaboration though, but maybe just because they’re name was on the line, in a possible, controversial issue.

Do we know if TFC is still handling the port and implemented the recent update changes?

3 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

???

Team French Caliburst did the rollback patch. All ArcSys did was provide the source code once they caught wind of this fan project, and pay Mike Z until it got out to the public they were using Mike Z, which is when they fired Mike Z.

Oh right.

I still think that massive training mode update is also getting ported to Strive tho.

Btw... Did consoles get the +R patches? :coffee:

9 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah that’s right, I remember reading about this when they fired Mike Z.

I believe ASW was involved in the collaboration though, but maybe just because they’re name was on the line, in a possible, controversial issue.

Do we know if TFC is still handling the port and implemented the recent update changes?

In my head, TFC will always stand for The French Connection. 

13 hours ago, BornWinner said:

On one hand, I was really hoping to play this within a month. This wait is going to be super hard.

On the other, they specifically brought up lobby and server issues in this statement. The way the lobbies ran were easily the worst part of the beta. If they can fix that in this delay, I feel it would make a lot of people happy.

The additional wait is definitely going to hurt. I've been handling the withdrawal by watching beta matches but those are gonna dry up. 

However yeah they definitely are wise to take the extra time for stability and refinement. For as garbo as the lobbies are, what would be a lot worse is if the game launched and you saw the server issues in the beta writ large. Imagine finally getting the game only for the servers to be down for like 3 days. Wouldn't be great for PR either.

I feel like that is actually the bigger motivator for the delay, and they are just using that time to also address the lobbies. Not that I'm complaining; any improvement to those will be tremendously appreciated.

13 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

if anyone wants to play PS4 Rev2 this weekend, let me know

I still have Rev2 installed so time permitted we can crack into that. Hell if I remember anything in that game though. 🙂 

13 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

if anyone wants to play PS4 Rev2 this weekend, let me know

My wife leaves saturday morning, so after I drop her off at the airport, I'm gonna pour some booze in my coffee and game the rest of the day. 

12 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Hell if I remember anything in that game though. 🙂 

Spider Man Reaction GIF

I have nothing to remember, cause I never really played it. So we're the same

15 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

My wife leaves saturday morning, so after I drop her off at the airport, I'm gonna pour some booze in my coffee and game the rest of the day. 

Spider Man Reaction GIF

I have nothing to remember, cause I never really played it. So we're the same

I should have some time on Sat so that works out. 

Biggest thing with Rev2 is that I never really had a character I settled on. If I had I probably would have become just another one of those filthy Johnny players. I may yet still when he inevitably comes to Strive (and destroys the game balance).

I’ve really been labbing Millia’s air combo BNB, which requires an IAD jump cancel after a jumping D, which was super hard, but I finally got it - not reliably, but at least i can do it now.

I’ve also spent quite a bit of time trying to do an AA combo equivalent, which required a super jump after the launcher to get the height you needed (since the enemy was already airborne so they were higher than they normally were), and now I just realized you can’t do a jump cancel after a jumping attack if you started with a super jump...

A bit of a waste of time, but hopefully if any of you do try something similar, then you won’t waste time like i did

5 hours ago, Volt said:

No jumps, but I *think* you can air dash after a SJ?

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R2/Movement#High_Jump_.28Super_Jump.29

Yeah, you can. What's the combo you're doing again?

Yeah, you can dash after the attack (in this case j.D) but you won’t get the height you need after the j.D, and it seems like you almost have to wait for the move to recover before you can dash, rather than cancelling out of it with a jump.

its okay, i’ll just work on another combo. I didn’t even look up her good AA combos yet, I just figured I could make her ground-started BNB work with a super jump without realizing how the super jump changed my options.

thanks for that link though, it would be good to go through it.

Edited by Mattatsu