Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beauty of how things work now is if you just keep your eyes open you'll be drowning in tech once Strive releases. Shit I saw a May combo compilation video this morning and the beta isn't technically out yet. Tech fiends will always provide.

What's the platform distribution looking like around here? I'm debating PS4 for raw convenience but I sure wouldn't mind throwing this at my PC either as it'll run better there.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Beauty of how things work now is if you just keep your eyes open you'll be drowning in tech once Strive releases. Shit I saw a May combo compilation video this morning and the beta isn't technically out yet. Tech fiends will always provide.

What's the platform distribution looking like around here? I'm debating PS4 for raw convenience but I sure wouldn't mind throwing this at my PC either as it'll run better there.

I'll probably just make a burner account and steal their tech out of spite anyway. 🤣

As for the platforms... Could go either way tbh. If the netcode really is the same as +R, you can literally play *anyone*, so that's an equalizer.

I'm pretty sure I played even Zio without lag. I definitely remember not having any issues with the NA guys and Cipher.

Yeah I heard/saw a lot of good results with the +R netcode which is something. Though from all I've heard Strive is it's own thing so no guarantees. 

Likewise, no crossplay at launch and although they've mentioned that it may be forthcoming I'm definitely not holding my breath. And of course SF5 showed that crossplay can be a monkey's paw wish, though I think its better to have the option than not even if it is fuckin jank. 

I've only heard good about netcode.

spacer.png

The best would be hearing SonixFox's opinion on it since he's got plenty of SG experience, and afaik SG is still the best netcode of any FG.
Sadly in 5 hours he only played long sets with 3 people: Hook, Doto and Kizzie, which are all in the US and the worst connection was 80+ms which basically means it would be fine even in delay based.

I still can't believe this. 

Regarding Netcode, I did see one really bad match in Koefficient's stream, but it looks like he had a bigger issue since his stream also shit the bed.

If any of you get in the beta tomorrow, could you please check if you can manually set some delay frames before the rollback kicks in like +R and 02UM?

46 minutes ago, Reticently said:

So I don't have a ton of history with GG.  Should I pick a character based on liking their aesthetics, or should I just play Faust because he looks like he won't be popular but will also give my opponents rage induced aneurysms?

It's the beta of a radically different version of the game.  Just pick whoever you want.  🙃

I'd say to just pick a troll character because almost everyone playing has probably never even touched a GG before anyway.  Get those tears while you can.

41 minutes ago, Reticently said:

So I don't have a ton of history with GG.  Should I pick a character based on liking their aesthetics, or should I just play Faust because he looks like he won't be popular but will also give my opponents rage induced aneurysms?

Honestly, GG has a little something for everyone. I'd take everyone out for a spin in the beta and see who clicks better.

This thread is a bit too quiet, so I'mma dump some match vids here for those who ain't keeping up with the SFV FG General Lounge. 🤣

Big match vid dump, seems to be constantly updated. Good for MU research.

https://strive.keeponrock.in/#/

1 hour ago, ZioSerpe said:

Still ain't gonna discuss GGST in a thread about SFV, hell I'ma v-shift out of that!

LET
SFV
DIE

Praise STRIVE, new king regent of Rollbackia

That's fair enough.

Shame you ain't got a PS4 to run rollback tests with the NA crew. Depending on how much fixing my work notebook overheating costs, I might pre-order Strive.  I take you seen how much tech I stole on the Lounge Discord, right? 

I'm still mad at how ArcSys got me by the balls with the Shill Pass. Extra Story content man. I had better luck blocking a Zato blockstring than that. 🤣

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I guess I'm supposed to talk about GG in here, but....

I like breaking the rulez

Break The Rules GIF by Charli XCX

Also, everyone else there breaks the rules, so it's like when everyone is going 10 over on the highway. It's almost more dangerous if you DON'T break the rules 

Fuckin' May players. 🤣

But I digress. What's the lobby like when it comes to just messing around and finding randoms to scrap with? All I hear about the lobby is "It fucking sucks". 🤣

Lobbies look like they run on they’re own netcode compared to the game.

Winning or losing can have your avatar stuck in an animation, taking longer to get a rematch or match in general. Avatars that also look like they are waiting for a match just vanish because they actually got connected with someone else. And of course, there are those that wish for the lobbies in previous Arc games or just a regular lobby for once.

1 minute ago, Volt said:

What's the lobby like when it comes to just messing around and finding randoms to scrap with?

WALL OF TEXT INCOMING:

1st off, it's not very visually clear. Half the screen if filled up with banners and crap that I didn't take the time to read. You might be able to minimize it, but I didn't really look. Then, depending on the lounge and what the person is wearing, avatars can easily get lost in the visual noise. They need to drop a shade or aura around players so you can quickly identify them. 

Next, actually getting someone to play is a nightmare. You navigate by using up or triangle to jump up a level, or holding down and pressing triangle to go down. Why you need an addition input to go down and not up is sort of infuriating to me.  

Next, to play someone, one of the two players has to enter "Fight ME" mode. You CANNOT move during "fight ME" mode. It's essentially like sitting at a cabinet in previous ASW games. You hold down square for a little bit and you enter a fighting stance with a weapon. See first issue as to why this is bad. You have to spend a bunch of time looking for someone, then check to see if they actually wanna fight. 

So what happens a lot of the time is you run around, you see another person running around above you, so you jump up to fight them, but they jump DOWN at the same time. Then you play a stupid game of chicken. When you end up on the same floor you both enter "fight ME" stance, and no actual fighting happens because you can only ACCEPT challenges in "fight ME" stance. So you both cancel out of the stance to go challenge the other person, and a game of chicken happens AGAIN. 

Then finally one of you is ready to accept the challenge, the other person is ready to challenge, and some jabroni glue eating loser comes out of nowhere and steals your challenge, so you have to frantically search to find another fight. 

When you finally get into a match, you have to go through a authorization step where it makes sure that you are at the right level of the overarching "Tower" ranking system. I don't really know what's happening here, but I walked from two fights at this step because the other person either fell asleep or the game wouldn't authorize them. 

Then there's a tekken 7 esque loading time before the match starts (just kidding, it's waaaaaay shorter, still annoying when you have to do it before every match)

No rematch option yet. After the fight, your two avatars just kinda sit there for 15 seconds, then the person who lost falls down. It feels like everything desyncs for a second depending on how fast each player mashes through the results screen and if you want to rematch that person, you have to start the mess of finding them all over again. 

6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Lobbies look like they run on they’re own netcode compared to the game.

Winning or losing can have your avatar stuck in an animation, taking longer to get a rematch or match in general. Avatars that also look like they are waiting for a match just vanish because they actually got connected with someone else

This happens all the time. It looks like you can play someone and they just disappear. 

I don't know how much more online fights I'll do this weekend if I have the time to play. I might limit myself to training mode and labbing to keep my blood pressure down 

The lobby thing is weird. I get ASW likes to try to push lobby tech, which I appreciate. Gave us that neat arcade cab setup. But this new thing is awkward just from looking at it. Haven't even messed around with it yet but I've at least got to interact with it while the beta is up just to say I did. 

Looking forward to playing but not that extra layer in the way.

I'm not exactly excited for Strive, because it looks downgraded and unimaginative in progress in order to cater to the newcomers. However, I'll buy it anyway, but that's unfortunately the direction that fighting game companies have chosen to pursue.

The tournaments were fun to go to from this series back in time. 

On 2/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, Volt said:

That's fair enough.

Shame you ain't got a PS4 to run rollback tests with the NA crew. Depending on how much fixing my work notebook overheating costs, I might pre-order Strive.  I take you seen how much tech I stole on the Lounge Discord, right? 

I'm still mad at how ArcSys got me by the balls with the Shill Pass. Extra Story content man. I had better luck blocking a Zato blockstring than that. 🤣

I borrowed a PS4 just for the beta.

Will play in the weekend.

After setting your name, choose “no” when it asks you to register it with the server, then choose yes to proceed anyway. You may not get in the first time, so just repeat until you do. You won’t be able to play online, but can at least lab.

you may want to use an alt account. You can’t register your name of course (it just leaves it the default once you’re in)l but not sure if it allows you to actually sign in once the server comes back

edit: not sure this works anymore. I got booted out. Will try to get back in after dinner

edit 2: yeah, this is F’d. The beta thinks the beta is over. Rip

Edited by Mattatsu

It's definitely weird. I can kinda get used to it but if I had any GG muscle memory I'd be all out of sorts when it came to button routes.

It also feels a bit weirder to figure out what you can get off of each hit. That may just be Ram and her goofy specials though.

One thing that I oddly appreciate is how quickly this system pushes you into leveraging RCs. I always slacked on really messing with them in other GG games but in this one you kind of need them for any big cool combo stuff so no choice but to engage. 

Ram is interesting. She has some big normals that she can convert off of from decent ish range (I guess, not really sure what anything equates to in this game). And although the game is built in such a way that you may not really be blendering people in the corner she seems really good at getting them there with her sword tosses. 

Will need to mess around with it more and try against other humans. Even playing "offline" I got booted out due to server disconnects. ☹️ Only got to play for an hour or so.