Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Every Millia combo vIdeo I’ve seen is above my level so I figured out some easy stuff so I can at least focus on a clearer gameplan and stop mashing

I know Discord ain't your thing, but I'm stealing pretty much anything that isn't bolted down and posting it on the Lounge Discord, (Including this tweet 🤣 ) If you need some ideas, check there.

When the full game releases, I plan to have some resources in threads here to get the ball rolling for Strive players looking for a forum. 👍

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Every Millia combo vIdeo I’ve seen is above my level so I figured out some easy stuff so I can at least focus on a clearer gameplan and stop mashing

Good on you, stuff like this is in general a really good idea. Like yeah it may not be optimal but you also gotta learn to walk before you can run, and it can make it a lot easier when you feel like you have a baseline to work with that you actually have a grip on. I've been trying to do the same with the little I've played of Ram.

Also cross posting this from SFV thread as its way more relevant here:

"I did manage to get one match in. Purposefully went to the Japan lobby. Got my ass absolutely stomped - I have a long way to go in this game - but it was for science! 

From Maryland to Japan I was able to play the full match (or whatever you call the mashing I did) with visible rollbacks here and there but way less than you'd think. Felt very playable. And that is probably the most extreme situation I can manufacture (maybe SE Asia?)

Want to play more but gonna be on limited time today. Should have time tomorrow evening for sure."

Addendum: movement is the main thing that is throwing me for a loop. I have zero experience actually playing GG (i.e. vs humans) that I feel like its going to take me awhile just to get used to how people move in this game and how I should be moving. I'm still super grounded and plodding I think by GG standards.

9 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Addendum: movement is the main thing that is throwing me for a loop. I have zero experience actually playing GG (i.e. vs humans) that I feel like its going to take me awhile just to get used to how people move in this game and how I should be moving. I'm still super grounded and plodding I think by GG standards.

Make sure to use the dash macro, it really makes a world of difference. Instant Air Dashes are super important for Anime FGs and it makes them almost effortless.

The gatling routes are these.

image0.png

Btw, for anyone that ain't finding the rest of thread regulars, the Lounge Discord crew seem to have gathered at Russia's lobby. 10th floor.

Reposted from the SFV Lounge.

Edit: Sajam made a vid about it. 

Edited by Volt

Playing a couple of matches Strive feels weird as a Guilty Gear game. Like someone at arc sys actually listened to the complaints Capcom players had about Guilty Gear and decided to go in that direction without bucking the core mechanics. 

The changes to Roman cancel is gonna take a while for me. I went for a yellow and got a blue. Purple has a completely different use case.

19 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

That Bad Moon special (the one at the end) is pretty vicious... hits overhead and can cross up if it hits deep enough

Looks like you can bust Millia up if you manage to block it tho.

Stolen from Discord:

Bad moon punishes, tested on tk moon

Spoiler

Sol: fS
Ky: cS

May: fS/2H

Axl: fS/2H

Chipp: cS/5H

Potemkin: cS/pot buster (lol)

Faust: cS

Millia: cS/fS

Zato: cS/5H

Ram: cS/Mortobato

Leo: 2S

Nagoriyuki: cS

Giovanna: fS/2S

A lot of these are extremely high damage starters and Potemkin Buster needs no comment. 🤣

1 hour ago, Volt said:

Looks like you can bust Millia up if you manage to block it tho.

Stolen from Discord:

Bad moon punishes, tested on tk moon

Hide contents

Sol: fS
Ky: cS

May: fS/2H

Axl: fS/2H

Chipp: cS/5H

Potemkin: cS/pot buster (lol)

Faust: cS

Millia: cS/fS

Zato: cS/5H

Ram: cS/Mortobato

Leo: 2S

Nagoriyuki: cS

Giovanna: fS/2S

A lot of these are extremely high damage starters and Potemkin Buster needs no comment. 🤣

Appreciate the info! I’ll be more careful with it, and try to hit it cross-up when I do.

Giving Gio a break and going back to my boy Pot. I miss his suicide dive. I know the move is trash outside of using it with YRC to launch yourself across the screen but I love doing it. That new stun move he got is pretty sweet when you land it. Outside of that he seems relatively the same from Xrd. Though I am find it a little more difficult to convert counterhits into the anti air grab as easily as I could in that game.

I find it a little crazy how so few people in this beta knows how to fight him. I'm stealing wins with this guy

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Giving Gio a break and going back to my boy Pot. I miss his suicide dive. I know the move is trash outside of using it with YRC to launch yourself across the screen but I love doing it. That new stun move he got is pretty sweet when you land it. Outside of that he seems relatively the same from Xrd. Though I am find it a little more difficult to convert counterhits into the anti air grab as easily as I could in that game.

I find it a little crazy how so few people in this beta knows how to fight him. I'm stealing wins with this guy

Bro, people are malding out there. Literally every channel in the Hub Discord got 4 or 5 people looking like deer in headlights talking about how Pot is destroying them.

It got so bad that the Pot players are actually bracing for nerfs and theoryfighting with potential nerf notes. 🤣

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Bro, people are malding out there. Literally every channel in the Hub Discord got 4 or 5 people looking like deer in headlights talking about how Pot is destroying them.

It got so bad that the Pot players are actually bracing for nerfs and theoryfighting with potential nerf notes. 🤣

I have not found too much of a problem with it after playing a few, but he's definitively good because of how Strive system is, and greed.

Hammerfall needs to be instant blocked to be punished properly, which is something the average joe struggles with and Megafist is pretty fast so you need to react properly, and I've been hit plenty because I am greedy and always try to 2H Pot when he leaves the ground.

That said, if I do instant block hammerfall... 

@Volt in the SFV lounge thread, you recommended that woolie versus video series to teach me about GG lore, but do you know of anything else?

The way this guy addresses it is confusing as hell (mixes up terms, uses acronyms not yet introduced, introduced the POST-war administration board, during a time while war seems ongoing, but he doesn’t clarify, etc)

Edited by Mattatsu
1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

but if he’s the best source, then i’ll never get it.

Strive is going to have the "GG World" section that'll outline everything. But Woolie is working directly with ASW to make sure everything he says is canon and accurate. So the World section is going to be almost exactly the same as his videos, but reading it might be easier to digest. 

25 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Strive is going to have the "GG World" section that'll outline everything. But Woolie is working directly with ASW to make sure everything he says is canon and accurate. So the World section is going to be almost exactly the same as his videos, but reading it might be easier to digest. 

My issue is that he reads things so factual, without providing clarification, or understanding how a newb to the series would interpret it...

- mentions Sacred Order and then later Holy Order, which appear to be the same thing, but a clarification (or not using two different terms) would be nice

- same thing with the Assassin’s Syndicate and the Assassin’s Guild

- introduces the Post-War Administration Bureau, which you’d assume would have been formed after the war, but the war is still going on, so that’s confusing, and no clarification

- mentions how the PWAB turned Testament into a gear and forced him to kill “former Sacred Order allies”, which i’m not sure if this means knights who left the sacred order, or current sacred order knights that are no longer his allies because he’s a gear. I believed the latter, which made the PWAB sound bad, and that Testament was created to support the gears, only to later find out that the PWAB created him to fight other gears, without realizing Justice would control him

and i’m only half way through the first video... I’m sure a lot of people familiar with GG lore understand this stuff (as does he) but most of the times i had to pause the video to understand what was going on, and think it through/rewind, was because of something he didn’t clarify well

Edited by Mattatsu

Two big takeaways I've always had with GG lore:

1) It is very 90s/00s anime in the sense that it loves throwing proper nouns at you like you know what the fuck they are talking about.

2) Its still a FG storyline so the delivery is kind of fragmented early on. Once you get to Xrd you're just watching a movie which is way more boring but at least you're getting the story straight up (though still plenty of proper nouns). So what you're seeing is a lot of patchwork between game lore, notes, manga, etc. In some ways I think its a miracle it makes any kind of sense at all.

For me GG has always been about:

- Its take on magic and things like it

- The Gears themselves (and by knock on effect Sol/Ky/Dizzy)

I find it is better to let your eyes glaze over and take in the broad picture then pick at the finer points on another go-round (particularly for individual characters, some of which have "hey I'm here too!" plot significance).

I take it a step back further and just view it all as an excuse for cool shit to happen. If people asked me about GG lore I'd say "yes there is".

Edited by GetTheTables
2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

and i’m only half way through the first video...

I'm rewatching it during my lunch break. Got to the where he lists the gear types and had to take a break after he said "large"

Had me in stitches🤣

17 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

mentions Sacred Order and then later Holy Order,

Yeah, he screwed the pooch on that one. It's the "sacred order of Holy Knights" or the "Holy order" or you can also call them "the crusaders" because they fought during the "crusades" or the "100 year war", which are both the names of real world events to make it even more confusing. 

Plus there's a 2nd holy order that happens later. 

20 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

introduces the Post-War Administration Bureau, which you’d assume would have been formed after the war, but the war is still going on, so that’s confusing, and no clarification

He clears this up (sorta) but saying "which will later be know as-" 

They formed during the war, but since all history was lost during the war, they forgot their original name I guess? 

I dunno if it's just an anime/Japanese trope thing, but they're pretty much the same thing as the philosophers/patriots in MGS. 

They're a ethically gray group that pulls all the strings and does nasty shit for the "greater good"

26 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’m sure a lot of people familiar with GG lore understand this stuff (as does he)

Maybe, but I'd save your brain cells and try not to think about it too hard. I mean, Kliff fights a megadeath super mega zoid gear for a fucking week and they make a city out of its corpse. The story is silly and over the top.

All you really need to know is Sol's real name is Fred, he's had to kill his wife like 6 times or whatever cause she's trying to kill everyone cause That Man made her bad, so Sol wants to kill the guy for making him have to kill his wife so much. 

And Faust used to be bad and likes to stick his fingers in people's butthole, that's the most important detail. Probably applies to slayer, too

Yeah, i just finished the first video and came up to a similar conclusion that a lot of the information was filled out between games, and that games probably bounce around a bit chronologically (like AC+R seems to take place before GG1).

I think I’ll have to look up the order of the games, as far of timelime goes, and watch this video a few more rimes for it to sink in

Thanks Tubb, i didn’t put the Sacred Order of Holy Knights bit (Sacred/Holy) together, or correlate the PWAB with history being lost during the war, so all that makes sense.

and yeah, i don’t want to become a scholar on it or anything, but figured I’d at least try to comprehend it a bit... I also don’t really care much about lore in fighting games, but am curious as to what’s going on, though, i played and liked Rev2 and the beta without knowing squat and still had a blast (similar to not knowing, or caring, why the Marvel and Capcom universes were intertwined in MVC games)

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

@Volt in the SFV lounge thread, you recommended that woolie versus video series to teach me about GG lore, but do you know of anything else?

The way this guy addresses it is confusing as hell (mixes up terms, uses acronyms not yet introduced, introduced the POST-war administration board, during a time while war seems ongoing, but he doesn’t clarify, etc)

don't listen to these people

this is the best lore video

36 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Does Justice kill Kliff?

Unsure if this is a joke or not considering the following line, but yes. My understanding of the final battle of the first game is this:

Sol, Ky, and Kliff are unable to stop Testament from bringing back Justice so they team up.

Kliff gets his shit pushed in and dies because he’s old.

Ky gets so distraught about all the gears he killed having morals as their own instead of mindless monsters, so he gets defeated too.

Sol ends up killing Justice, but not before she reminds him of the good times they had along with THAT MAN. Sol continues being the Guilty Gear and the world is saved for now.

27 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Unsure if this is a joke or not considering the following line, but yes. My understanding of the final battle of the first game is this:

Sol, Ky, and Kliff are unable to stop Testament from bringing back Justice so they team up.

Kliff gets his shit pushed in and dies because he’s old.

Ky gets so distraught about all the gears he killed having morals as their own instead of mindless monsters, so he gets defeated too.

Sol ends up killing Justice, but not before she reminds him of the good times they had along with THAT MAN. Sol continues being the Guilty Gear and the world is saved for now.

It's a bit hard to make heads or tails of what exactly happens, but the whole deal is this.

Barring the whole "X Defeats Justice" all endings are pretty much Canon.

Sol is the one to win it all, so he gets to fight Testament and Justice. Test gets bonked and Justice is killed.
Kliff gets his last talk with Test and dies because he was so old and shrunk his legs were dangling off the toilet. Ky gets a last talk with Justice at some point before her death.

Johnny breaks out of prison and reunites with May, Baldhead becomes sane again and turns into Faust, Chipp realizes he just traded drugs for revenge and chills out... 

Millia and Zato... I honestly don't know. They both just run away/get smoked in the tournament and Zato finds out Eddie is actually a sentient being.

This is where things get hella murky, because GGX's story was Japan-only. Zio sent me that vid too, so I'm gonna watch it to find out what exactly happens during that time period.

XX onwards is again, very easy to check and follow because it's properly localized and has a dedicated story mode, so it's all a matter of checking what endings are the canon ones (Some chars get multiple canon endings, some get none) and going through AC+.

The GG Wiki seems to have fairly accurate story descriptions, so it's a bit easier to check there if you want a quick read instead of a long vid.

So I managed to sneak in a little more beta time thanks to the extension. This time I went to the EU tower lobby to try to force some longer distance connections. Hard to tell where everyone is of course but assuming everyone is actually in Europe (the one guy had a German tag line so that one is 70% likely) things ran really well. A few of the matches had some noticeable minor rollbacks but nothing disruptive. Seems like you can cast a pretty wide net with this game.

Additional lobby impressions:

• The "parks" are a good idea since they let anyone play anyone and theoretically its sort of like an endless lobby, so long as you can keep matching up with people. However due to the game velcro-ing you to a few given spots for matchmaking everyone just kinda clumps up in the middle which can make squaring up with who you want to way harder than it needs to be. 
  • In general it would be nice if there were either more anchor points, or if you somehow got an indication where you were going to stick to when you readied up. Out of all the times I've done it, maybe twice have I landed in the spot I thought I would. Every other time I ended up bampf'ing across the lobby and running back.
  • Speaking of runbacks, I'm not sure if this is due to the tower lobbies auto-moving you to another level after a game but I never got to play someone more than once. I seriously doubt that after every game they either got demoted or promoted so I'm assuming they just bolted. A mandatory Bo3 in this game seems like a no brainer. 
  • Also a no brainer because of how long it takes you to get back into a match after you've finished up. Back to the lobby. Both avatars animate. Then someone can finally ready up again, then you can play. I get that some of that is likely to hide server exchanges/load times/whatever but its just kind of a drag especially in a game that can have as much momentum in matches as this. Bo3 in ranked and some ability to quick rematch in general, even if they put a hard limit on it or whatever, would be tremendously appreciated.

Overall the game is really fuckin' fun. Helps that I enjoy Ram quite a bit. I'm sure the launch version is going to change things up from what we saw here so we'll see how it is then, but the game has good bones to build off of. At least for me.

Also managed to dig myself out of the 5th floor and get up to 7. Things are definitely starting to click though I have a shitload to work on when the full game drops.

4 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Unsure if this is a joke or not

No, it was a serious question... Daisuke clearly uses Rock and Metal names all over the place. Cliff Burton (Kliff) was Metallica’s original bassist, but their tour bus crashed when touring Master of Puppets and Cliff died.

They hired a new bassist, Jason Newsted, and recorded “And Justice For All” (which is commonly referred to as “Justice”) like two years later.. surprisingly quick, after an event that would have sidelined most bands.

in the videos I watched, when I heard “Justice killed Kilff” I was like “damn!”.. though I guess master of puppets was more “to blame”, I always thought it was fucked how quick Metallica moved on, especially when Cliff really taught them so much about writing and really helped forge their style

Edited by Mattatsu