Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

I appreciate everyone’s help on the lore. When the beta is over, I’m going to play Rev2 a bit (as well as dig into the Sign, Rev1 and 2 stories).

one thing I don’t get.... how the hell is Dizzy Sol’s daughter? The crusades would have been going on for like 98 years when she born.

it seems like That Man was surprised about it, so how would that happen? Did Sol just bust in Aria a hundred years earlier and it finally slid into place?

Edited by Mattatsu
16 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

one thing I don’t get.... how the hell is Dizzy Sol’s daughter? The crusades would have been going on for like 98 years when she born.

We... don't know for sure.

Speculations are:
"Aria was already pregnant when she was turned into Justice."
"She popped an egg like Dizzy but it took longer to hatch than Sin did."

"She's not a direct offspring, but more of a 'she got Justice's genes' situation."

"The Climax of Guilty Gear was a different kind of climax than what we thought it was."

Basically, she has Commander Gear traits, so she's considered a direct descendant of Justice.

All we had was literal speculation until, well, this:

4 minutes ago, Volt said:

We... don't know for sure.

Speculations are:
"Aria was already pregnant when she was turned into Justice."
"She popped an egg like Dizzy but it took longer to hatch than Sin did."

"She's not a direct offspring, but more of a 'she got Justice's genes' situation."

"The Climax of Guilty Gear was a different kind of climax than what we thought it was."

Basically, she has Commander Gear traits, so she's considered a direct descendant of Justice.

All we had was literal speculation until, well, this:

Wait.... Sin hatched out of an egg?

16 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

I have not found too much of a problem with it after playing a few, but he's definitively good because of how Strive system is, and greed.

Hammerfall needs to be instant blocked to be punished properly, which is something the average joe struggles with and Megafist is pretty fast so you need to react properly, and I've been hit plenty because I am greedy and always try to 2H Pot when he leaves the ground.

That said, if I do instant block hammerfall... 

I've had Rams grab me out of hammer fall. The better ones were able to do it constantly.

9 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

So I managed to sneak in a little more beta time thanks to the extension. This time I went to the EU tower lobby to try to force some longer distance connections. Hard to tell where everyone is of course but assuming everyone is actually in Europe (the one guy had a German tag line so that one is 70% likely) things ran really well. A few of the matches had some noticeable minor rollbacks but nothing disruptive. Seems like you can cast a pretty wide net with this game.

Additional lobby impressions:

• The "parks" are a good idea since they let anyone play anyone and theoretically its sort of like an endless lobby, so long as you can keep matching up with people. However due to the game velcro-ing you to a few given spots for matchmaking everyone just kinda clumps up in the middle which can make squaring up with who you want to way harder than it needs to be. 
  • In general it would be nice if there were either more anchor points, or if you somehow got an indication where you were going to stick to when you readied up. Out of all the times I've done it, maybe twice have I landed in the spot I thought I would. Every other time I ended up bampf'ing across the lobby and running back.
  • Speaking of runbacks, I'm not sure if this is due to the tower lobbies auto-moving you to another level after a game but I never got to play someone more than once. I seriously doubt that after every game they either got demoted or promoted so I'm assuming they just bolted. A mandatory Bo3 in this game seems like a no brainer. 
  • Also a no brainer because of how long it takes you to get back into a match after you've finished up. Back to the lobby. Both avatars animate. Then someone can finally ready up again, then you can play. I get that some of that is likely to hide server exchanges/load times/whatever but its just kind of a drag especially in a game that can have as much momentum in matches as this. Bo3 in ranked and some ability to quick rematch in general, even if they put a hard limit on it or whatever, would be tremendously appreciated.

Overall the game is really fuckin' fun. Helps that I enjoy Ram quite a bit. I'm sure the launch version is going to change things up from what we saw here so we'll see how it is then, but the game has good bones to build off of. At least for me.

Also managed to dig myself out of the 5th floor and get up to 7. Things are definitely starting to click though I have a shitload to work on when the full game drops.

I'd say pretty much anything under 250 ping is smooth sailing.

I did play a couple of 300+ ping people and you could see the rollbacks, but really the only time it got "unplayable" was when I played a guy in South Africa and we had a ping of 430+

To qualify that "unplayable": The game was playable but it was in slow motion, also I don't think there were any rollbacks, so like, if you wanna just fuck about with a friend that is very far I suppose there's worst.

Like the distance between us was 12.000km, and according to google, "The longest distance between any two places on earth is 7,926 miles (12,756 km)" turns out this is absolute bullshit and the longest distance between 2 cities on earth is Rosario, Argentina to Xinghua, China: 19,996 km (12,425 mi)
The first number was considering going through earth, not around it.
So I would say the netcode holds up?

Edited by ZioSerpe

Beta's closed, time to reflect:

I love this game. 

May was my instant main, and it's going to stay that way unless they totally kneecap her. Really, only if they make dolphin unsafe, and even then, I'm not sure if I'd play someone else. 

Every chip player I ran into seems like they had the mental capacity of a newt on cocaine

Didn't play very many Pots, but I want him to stay Stronk. I like when grapplers are top tier.

That being said, half the cast are grapplers

Sol is the only character model that I don't like

Ky, May, and Axl are a three way tie for most improved character model.

Nago is cool, but I feel like most people will struggle to get anything out of him. Gio is meh. I thought she was going to be more of a stand character like Zato or use the dog like Galford. 

Edited by KingTubb

I had the same experience with Chipp. My years of Bronze Kens prepared me well for their mania. I think its just the archetype. Though the one Ky player I ran into was also squirrelly as hell. Its probably just in the low ranks everyone is still overly active and antsy.

You know the one player I ran into that legit blocked a lot, maybe too much? 

A May player.

I know, I was surprised too.

Then I threw that b to deff 

I'm interested in seeing how chars are in 1.0. Also whenever Johnny shows up he is going to own this game unless they purposefully make him godawful.

Can't wait for April.

10 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

You know the one player I ran into that legit blocked a lot, maybe too much? 

A May player.

Was it me? 

And they were just keeping charge, homie .You can ask @Mattatsumy defense was actually kinda nice. 

Admittedly it was mostly on accident while my brain was thinking "dolphindolphindolphindolphin...." 

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

Was it me? 

And they were just keeping charge, homie .You can ask @Mattatsumy defense was actually kinda nice. 

Admittedly it was mostly on accident while my brain was thinking "dolphindolphindolphindolphin...." 

Not unless you were in the EU lobby yesterday. 🙂 Does suck that we didn't play during the beta but hey we can fix that when the full game drops.

When I mean blocking, maybe too much, I mean that they were blocking all the time. Not a lot of activity, blocking on jumping forward, stuff like that. Maybe 5-10 dolphins the whole game?

Its hard to describe but there is such a thing as blocking too much. Especially with beta May who can (and should) be going a little fuckin crazy to make you have to scramble with her. Her buttons and specials are just so goddamn good and pesky. Once I realized he wasn't really going to dictate the pace of the fight I think I kinda ran him over. 

That said, that player is coming from a much better base of thought than the Chipp player who's plan was "DP....then DP again!"

My favorite beta moment was winning the Ram mirror by winning the last round with wake up super after losing the first round to it.

"I learned it by watching you!"

1 minute ago, GetTheTables said:

Maybe 5-10 dolphins the whole game?

will ferrell laughing GIF

1 minute ago, GetTheTables said:

That said, that player is coming from a much better base of thought than the Chipp player who's plan was "DP....then DP again!"

Yeah... I fought a lot of flowchart chips. 

Jump back>Shuriken>repeatx3>try side switching a bunch> if they get close, put the stick in your mouth, listen to iron maiden's Trooper and headbang as hard as you can

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

but... But she's real good now? Why be mad at that? 

People hate change.

Sort of meme answer but its true, and about a lot of things. Especially if you've spent a ton of time with something. Have it change into something different - even if its better/"better" - is disruptive and unpleasant. I've seen this kind of table flip for years in tabletop gaming. FGs are no different. 

Or maybe they just really hate her new haircut. Those people are monsters though.

@Mattatsu

Best thing about Xrd's story content is that it's extremely streamlined, so it's super easy to follow even if you can't understand anything.

- Xrd Sign -

All Arcade Cutscenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=3417&v=wo7Y_CchG44

Story Mode Playlist:

https://youtu.be/gQ9Cd4MKqHs?list=PLjguMKXuip3WivNvcUFrj0BPUoGE2RuDT&t=60

(Timestamped with Ramlethal's arcade cutscene
that's without subs in the Arcade vid.)

- Xrd Rev2 -

All Arcade Cutscenes:

https://youtu.be/ze13l3tEa4A?list=PLt9ms7pAUv04vQYfF0ww_Fx4kzxUi_qn4

Story Mode Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjQSSrhUqEI&list=PLjguMKXuip3Vs7x3u_esFXiTYEfsrycx-&index=2

Edit: 🤣 at this link ^. Why did it get broken up like that?

There's also a Lore Discord.

https://discord.gg/8yAcx57btC

Edited by Volt
3 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Thanks @Volt ! I appreciate that because in Rev2 you can go back to Rev1, but not Sign.

did Revelator (Rev1) have a different story than Sign and Rev2?

Sign was one thing.

Revelator was a whole sequel. Rev2 is just their "Super/Ultra/Arcade/Champion Edition" thing for Revelator. It got a couple expansions but they're included in the stuff I posted.

Edited by Volt

Repost from other thread.

The info card at the end didn't break out all the roman cancels which is the part I really wanted, so here it is:

* all RC cost 50% tension (i.e. half your meter) 

* generate a shockwave which if connects slows opponent (a big clock graphic appears).

* You can cancel the shockwave with an attack to just go straight into the next attack without the wave. 

* Input a dash before the RC and it'll slide in that direction, even through projectiles, etc.

Roman Cancel colors:

As your attack hits -- clockslow + causes high float during blowback

blockstun - clockslow + blowback

during your attack but not as it hits - no blowback just clockslow

neutral - no blowback just clockslow but try dash xx RC 

while getting hit - can't RC that's what Burst is for. 

Burst:

normal: while getting hit - blowback

gold: in neutral - if the shockwave hits get full tension meter 

33 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, BRC = Blue.

also, you said BRC equals clockslow, but i figures i’d add in the other bit. I don’t think other RCs have a slowdown effect where it effects the enemies hit-stun recovery, but i could be wrong... I just remembered it because EC only mentions it with BRC in his video

purple rc also effects hitstun like blue does

although maybe not to the same effect? You can get new combos but they seemed harder to me but i duno that coulda been just in the moment confirmation bias

in the end prc also allows for new links

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

In Strive, if you RC and get the clock slowdown on someone, and immediately RC again for another clock, do the clocktimes stack?  @EvilCanadian?

If you've one bar, clock someone, can you basically get a free gold burst and effectively end with all bars?  

If you input RC during RC you cancel the RC, so no.

Edited by ZioSerpe
5 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

purple rc also effects hitstun like blue does

although maybe not to the same effect? You can get new combos but they seemed harder to me but i duno that coulda been just in the moment confirmation bias

in the end prc also allows for new links

They seem to be pretty much the same, I had a corner switch combo that used PRC and a corner carry route that used BRC, but essentially they were the same. The difference was purple came after a special recover, while blue was off an air dash cancel in the air.

So, I just watched the Sign story and it was actually awesome... until the very last 10 minutes and I have no idea wtf happened...

did Justice revive or not? If so, why was she taken back to the backyard? What did that lady Conclave do to Chronus?

Elphelt (once “awaken”) said she had to make sure Sol didn’t wake up, and her mother said that she kinda hoped she would have seen that... Is that like his Dragon Install or something?

Is/was Chronus working for or against the Universal Will? When he was bonding his soul to Justice, I don’t remember what he said but he seemed like he was against her, but I thought they were working for her? Also, shortly after this, he also mentions something about the Gear Maker (who I thought was against him) having to continue their work(as he being electrocuted)... Didn’t The Gear Maker nearly foil their plans earlier?

I suppose I’ll find out these answers in the next story, but I’m really confused all of a sudden

edit: didn’t realize there was a post-credit scene. I get it now... the rest of the answers should be in the Rev story 

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

So, I just watched the Sign story and it was actually awesome... until the very last 10 minutes and I have no idea wtf happened...

did Justice revive or not? If so, why was she taken back to the backyard? What did that lady Conclave do to Chronus?

Elphelt (once “awaken”) said she had to make sure Sol didn’t wake up, and her mother said that she kinda hoped she would have seen that... Is that like his Dragon Install or something?

Is/was Chronus working for or against the Universal Will? When he was bonding his soul to Justice, I don’t remember what he said but he seemed like he was against her, but I thought they were working for her? Also, shortly after this, he also mentions something about the Gear Maker (who I thought was against him) having to continue their work(as he being electrocuted)... Didn’t The Gear Maker nearly foil their plans earlier?

I suppose I’ll find out these answers in the next story, but I’m really confused all of a sudden

edit: didn’t realize there was a post-credit scene. I get it now... the rest of the answers should be in the Rev story 

Apparently, ArcSys kinda bungled things and cut a couple scenes from the ending. I watched it last night and noticed some weird stuff, the comments confirmed it.

But yeah, welcome to anime. Twists galore. 🤣

Rev2 will make that make a lot more sense, a lot of stuff was supposed to be cliffhangers, but yeah, the Universal Will was in fact, playing everyone.

Sol wears restraints to not go full unga. I assume it had something to do with it.

Chronus was like "We lost our chance, now only That Man can save humanity" even though they weren't on the same side, apparently they somewhat had the same grander scope goal.

So, yeah, Sol jumped on a missile and punched a black hole into things. 🤣

12 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Story stuff

I’ll try and help you, but I haven’t watched Sign’s story in a while so I might be wrong on a few things.

1) Apparently Arc’s upload of the story is missing some stuff. Some stuff including Sol defeating Chronus using Justice’s body. He was going to die so the girl of the Conclave teleports him out so she can die in his place.

2) Sol holds back considerably throughout the games with Dragon Install being a taste of his true power. However DI has the risk of completely consuming Sol, so no one wants that to happen.

3) The conclave and Mother/The Universal Will/Ariels were working together to revive Justice. However the Will was pretty much lying to the Conclave the entire time. It had no interest in their goals at all and was only using them for it’s benefit. 

ArcSys titles have the wild stories, even by anime standards.  They're like a meme/parody of what people think a nonsensical anime plot is like.

I watch tons of anime and most of them don't have a plot nearly as convoluted or silly as the ones found in Guilty Gear or Blazblue.

Guilty Gear was pretty straightforward until Guilty Gear 2.  Then it goes off the rails and never comes back.

50 minutes ago, misterBee said:

ArcSys titles have the wild stories, even by anime standards.  They're like a meme/parody of what people think a nonsensical anime plot is like.

I watch tons of anime and most of them don't have a plot nearly as convoluted or silly as the ones found in Guilty Gear or Blazblue.

Guilty Gear was pretty straightforward until Guilty Gear 2.  Then it goes off the rails and never comes back.

GG is tame, there's nothing overly hard to understand unless you're diving deep into the magibabble.

BlazBlue? Whoooooo boy, now *that's* that good stuff that'll have your head spinning.

I’ve been absolutely nuts and just watched all of Rev1’s story today as well... Though I did skip the arcade stories, that’s still like 10 hours of watching this shit today lol... I still have those three chapters of Rev2 to watch but they’re like 1h45m and I don’t have the energy and my eyes are burning

I actually liked it a lot... In hindsight it did seem like scenes were cut-out the ending of Sign which is unfortunate, but I pretty much pieced it altogether anyway (other than the what happened inside Justice with the Conclave).

anyways, thanks guys. That was fun... looking forward to the few Rev2 chapters... I’m having a hard time seeing where the story will go from here and what the Strive story could even be, but I’m sure they don’t have nearly two hours of story with them sitting around drinking tea and whiskey

also, it was much more enjoyable since I had an idea as to what the story was about (I tried watching the Rev story like a few years ago but had no idea what was happening and fell asleep after 20 minutes lol). Anyways, thank you guys for sending me those lore videos and clarifying things for me. Really appreciate it

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

I’ve been absolutely nuts and just watched all of Rev1’s story today as well... Though I did skip the arcade stories, that’s still like 10 hours of watching this shit today lol... I still have those three chapters of Rev2 to watch but they’re like 1h45m and I don’t have the energy and my eyes are burning

I actually liked it a lot... In hindsight it did seem like scenes were cut-out the ending of Sign which is unfortunate, but I pretty much pieced it altogether anyway (other than the what happened inside Justice with the Conclave).

anyways, thanks guys. That was fun... looking forward to the few Rev2 chapters... I’m having a hard time seeing where the story will go from here and what the Strive story could even be, but I’m sure they don’t have nearly two hours of story with them sitting around drinking tea and whiskey

also, it was much more enjoyable since I had an idea as to what the story was about (I tried watching the Rev story like a few years ago but had no idea what was happening and fell asleep after 20 minutes lol). Anyways, thank you guys for sending me those lore videos and clarifying things for me. Really appreciate it

tl;dr for family men?