Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

Though I'm being eaten alive by a mate's Leo and picked to death by the same guy's Axl, I'm gonna keep on with  Ky. I figure as a long-time SF player that if I don't have to worry with (too much) character freakery, it'll help me learn the basic systems of Strive more quickly.

Also, as a GG newbie, fuck Leo and Axl - any tips welcome

Edited by JustBrowsing
8 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I just realized I'm going to have to go through that GD network mode setup process for the 4th time. 😒

Yeah, this was my approximate reaction when I had to do it for the third time last night:

Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

Then played one match, BEAT THE SHIT OUT OF THEM, and the game soft locked. 

At that point I'm determined to finish mission mode before I move on to fighting randoms. 

Also, mission mode low key just a tutorial in a similar vein to Skullgirls or UNI, just a lot better. 

Too much Totsugeki for the server to handle.

The floor shifting is a pain. It would bother me less if it was faster. I hope that at some point they cut out all the animation and just do the damn thing with a loading widget in the corner and a message. Maybe the load is such that they need the animation to hide it. I never thought I'd have left Mass Effect loading elevators for GG loading elevators.

That was the main reason I went to the park after I went up and down a few times. I don't care about the rank itself, its way more irritating to have floor shifts break up sets/your momentum. I just wanna play and figure shit out!

My favorite was when I played a decent Millia who knocked me down a floor. I then ran into a much worse Millia who....allowed me to go right back up a floor. If I had kept playing Ranked I'm sure I would have just kept bouncing between My Two Millias all night.

22 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

That was the main reason I went to the park after I went up and down a few times.

Good point, I should just be a park monster. 

Cause breaking a set because someone moves a floor is the worst. 

I'm a man of principles and always plays a set, no matter what. It's basic etiquette. 

Win quitters and rage quitters are baby losers and I hope the socks they put on this morning are too tight. 

And if they aren't wearing socks, I hope they forget to put on deodorant and realize around lunch and are really embarrassed 

19 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

I'm a man of principles and always plays a set, no matter what. It's basic etiquette. 

Amen.

Like I get why people dip, and maybe the connection was bad on their end or something, but most of it is just about nutting up and taking your loses like a man/woman/whatever. You can usually tell who is going to get squirrely on rematching because they tend to be gimmicky as fuck. Only ran into one person like that (3 guesses who they were playing).

The park is what enabled me to play that 16-17 game set against a Nago player at the end of my time. In the Ranked lobbies one of us definitely would have gotten bounced before that (we both had streaks going here or there).

I'm not sure how much it stabilizes over time. I know once you get legit into Heaven (win your 5) you're in there and can just play. I guess that is a decent end goal? Definitely feels like some dials can be turned on the Ranked system but hey, early days. Before they fuck with any of that they need to sort out the player-to-player connection issues that happen in the lobbies. That shit gotta go.

6 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Technique exclusive to people with air supers.

Been a thing since forever, but it's hella situational.

The timing should be a bit easier now because of the cinematic effect, but it's like, the same as Xrd.

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

"...negates their burst point"?  What's that mean? What's a burst point?  I thought you could burst literally at any moment, no ifs ands or buts.

In most situations, you can use your burst. However in this and past Guilty Gears, there are times when you can’t burst at all. You can see when you can’t burst when there’s an X over the burst bar. These include:

Getting thrown

Being wallsplatted

Right after getting hit by Dust and they fly up

and getting hit by an Overdrive

That combines the last two methods. Making sure if you hit with a fully charged dust, you can get inescapable damage if you follow it immediately with a super.

5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

"...negates their burst point"?  What's that mean? What's a burst point?  I thought you could burst literally at any moment, no ifs ands or buts.

The burst point is more of a reference to bursting in points you're likely to hit the other dude with the burst.

Otherwise, you do stuff like, well, this.

As for the points you can't burst, BornWinner dropped an excellent post on the subject.

26 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Won’t be able to play it till tomorrow but I did just buy Strive on PC. Hoping for crossplay but hopefully a couple heads here have it on Steam too in the meantime 

Unlocks in 5 hours and 20 minutes.

I'm so happy to have (most) Fridays off. 🤣

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Won’t be able to play it till tomorrow but I did just buy Strive on PC. Hoping for crossplay but hopefully a couple heads here have it on Steam too in the meantime 

I doubled down so have it on both. I'll probably be on the Steam version more anyhow barring any port jank (though I don't anticipate anything). 

I'm literally up for playing anyone here, schedule permitting. 👍

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

38 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I doubled down so have it on both. I'll probably be on the Steam version more anyhow barring any port jank (though I don't anticipate anything). 

I'm literally up for playing anyone here, schedule permitting. 👍

I have it on Steam already so friend me and Volt if you haven't already.

When I finally get to play I'm gonna hit it's tutorial.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

I’m down. Fair warning, I haven’t won a set against anybody yet, so watch out

Fair warning- I only played one game against a I-no player I'm 90% sure was playing with one hand, won and the game soft locked. 

Starting disco the week of strive was a giant mistake on my part. My wife is seriously cutting into my gaming time. She just sits behind me and stares at the back of my head while I lab cause she wants us to play disco lololol 

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Right now I'm only using it for dash blocking.

But the fact that I can charge up dolphin while I dash....

I gotta try this shit out. 

Games tonight??

I'm helping a buddy install an A/C unit and hanging out with him for a bit after work but I'll be free after that. If you guys want to meet up later in the evening I'll be down. Get your Disco time in early Tubb then put the wife to bed and let the dolphin run free. 😉

And yeah that is interesting tech. I'm noticing more stuff like that as I poke around with the game. 

Like with fast RCs: since they don't scale the combo they're better in most situations where you're just RC'ing for an extension unless you really need the time slow. And due to the timing element of getting the cancel right it sort makes them like weird reverse FRCs. Its not a huge damage difference but its definitely there. Which is actually kind of nice because it adds a technical element to something that felt pretty canned.