Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

7 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Been lurking here and watching streams here and there game looks fun. Curious to hear what y'all think of it.

Truthfully my first week impression is “this is good but Xrd is better”. Right now I think it’s good but I’m hoping with revisions it becomes great. That said this is still fun, and it’s nice to have a new fighter to pick up. I haven’t played as much as some of the others here but I’ve enjoyed it for sure. Most of my grievances with the game are not directly related to gameplay. 

Edited by Vhozite
39 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

they probably messed up the date/time

Lol, I’m an idiot. They posted this at like 4am ET, but the maintanence would start at 5am ET. It seems like it’s currently happening (or it’s done already) from what I read on Reddit 

Edited by Mattatsu
8 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

Been lurking here and watching streams here and there game looks fun. Curious to hear what y'all think of it.

I love it. The only other GG I’ve put some time into was Xrd and I prefer Strive’s gameplay over it. It may be different from character to character, but in Xrd with Millia, I never saw the need to use RC over supers, but in Strive, the RCs seem to be more useful and I use them a lot more now. I actually like the wall break mechanics as i think it adds a nice touch to your decision-making process, and i like the larger slowdowns off counter hits, which makes hem a but more practical (for me anyway) to convert off them now.

8 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

I like it a lot. I think it is a funkier sell if you're coming from other GG games - this game is roughly a blend of GG and SF in terms of how it plays relative to the other games - but if you don't have a lot of previous GG experience I think it is easy enough to come to fresh (honestly easier, old GG starts you off with weird/bad habits in this game sometimes).

I like the cast more than I thought I would. This is one of those games where I could see myself playing 60% of the cast which is always nice, especially since this game is definitely less complex at a character level than previous GGs so having a secondary character doesn't feel impossible.

As Rooks said its a game where I have fun even if I'm getting thrashed which is not something I can say for most FGs I've played (+R is the only one in recent memory for me). YMMV of course but I do think this game is just generally more approachable that way (with the cost being you probably don't have a "lifelong play and learn" game like +R).

The netcode continues to be rock solid. Some matches are a little rollback-y but it is very slight (not at all like SFVs teleport prone connections) and it always "feels" normal to play if that makes sense. Every once in awhile you'll get some dude who is connecting from New Guinea on a 56K modem and the match is really stuttery but those are exceptional cases. As someone in MD, USA I spent a good chunk of yesterday playing Rooks (West Coast US?) and Laughingman (UK IIRC) with zero issues. 

Bad points:

The lobbies. I don't even mean the design. That also sucks but if it functioned consistently it'd just be an eyesore that slowed things down a bit. The bigger issue is right now connecting with another person is pretty hit or miss. You can sometimes get  a string of "fail to connects" before you can finally pair up, and in some uncommon (but unfortunately not super rare) instances you sort of bug out and can't interact with any of the duel stations so you can't match up with anyone. A quick bounce in and out of online mode fixes that but it all adds up to just being irritating and the biggest thing that gets in the way of actually playing the game. I think you can definitely play through it (once you pair up the rematches seem to work 100% of the time barring full on server kick) but this is going to be the first real big pain point ArcSys has to smooth out.

Arc Sys Balance is in full effect. It was inevitable that some characters would release strong and boy howdy did they. I think on the whole between the damage and universal mechanics everyone has a fighting chance, but characters like Sol, Ram, and May are definitely really strong out of the gate. Not really that different from any FG release though, see SFV:S1 roster balance (RIP midscreen irish whip combos).

I do not think this is necessarily the game for you if you are a lab monster. I think there is a surprising amount to lab out and research, and there is some fine grain stuff that is going to take a lot of practice to get down (none of which you need day 1 mind). But, and this is probably unfair, in something like +R you can spend what feels like an infinite amount of time just practicing and perfecting how you play your character before you even start to crack into anything else. I don't want to make it sound like there isn't anything to lab or that you can't just hit up training mode for awhile and grind away at stuff. But I think if that is something you love, there are better games in this series for that. I think Strive is at it's best when you are playing someone else.

Just my :tldr: on the game after the past week. I think Vhozite is right, in that what will be really interesting to see is how this game evolves. I always have to check myself and be mindful that +R and Rev2 had a lot of revisions and years to get to the versions we are so familiar with. Barring something crazy I plan to be there to see what this game grows into.

@Vhozite If you are still interested in playing Nagoriyuki, I recommend watching Fame if you haven’t already.

He’s pretty good at managing his blood gage and when to use his dash special. I also just realized that Nago’s heavy slash buttons can chip as long as you’re above one level on your blood gage.

Edited by BornWinner

PS4/5 players, there are online bi-weekly tournaments starting this Tuesday at 8pm et. This is ran by the guys who kept the online MVCI circuit going (or growing), so it should be done well.

I’l participate when i can... Even though i’m ass, it’ll be fun and hopefully push me to get better.

the discord link is in the twitter thread if anyone is interested.

4 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Just my :tldr: on the game after the past week. I think Vhozite is right, in that what will be really interesting to see is how this game evolves. I always have to check myself and be mindful that +R and Rev2 had a lot of revisions and years to get to the versions we are so familiar with. Barring something crazy I plan to be there to see what this game grows into.

Yeah that’s what I keep in mind when comparing Strive to Xrd. I mostly played Rev 2 and that’s the final edition of the game with years of refinement vs Strive being in week 1. 

For real tho I absolutely hate the lobby system. The actual connection quality has been great but everything else about the online is fucking terrible. Like barely a cut above launch SFV tier. Trying to connect with people fails like 90% of the time for me and the lobby system is needlessly convoluted for no reason. Easily the worst of any fighter I’ve played. 

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

Idk how character specific this is, but when doing post Dust launcher air combos, air dash feel MUCH more consistent as a combo extender than double jump does.

I’ll have to try this when I get home. I thought it was just me but Dust combos feel way harder than Xrd and I’m not sure why. Everytime I’ve tried I can’t manage more than like 2 buttons before falling back down. 

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’ll have to try this when I get home. I thought it was just me but Dust combos feel way harder than Xrd and I’m not sure why. Everytime I’ve tried I can’t manage more than like 2 buttons before falling back down. 

Dust got changed, there's like, a dedicated finisher if you press a button twice, I think.

It's hella wack. I didn't like that change at all, gotta check it on Mission Mode later.

12 minutes ago, Volt said:

Dust got changed, there's like, a dedicated finisher if you press a button twice, I think.

It's hella wack. I didn't like that change at all, gotta check it on Mission Mode later.

Yeah I’ll have to take another look at that. 

I will say I’m really missing the character specific trials with the combos and special moves. That’s how I started learning every character. Not feeling the current system where you pick the trial and hopefully you get to pick a character to do it.

20 minutes ago, Volt said:

there's like, a dedicated finisher if you press a button twice, I think

Specifically if you push the same button twice in a row.  My super scrubby Anji post launcher air combo is H,D, dash, S,D,D, which seems undroppable even with piss poor execution.

Edited by Reticently
9 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I’ll have to take another look at that. 

I will say I’m really missing the character specific trials with the combos and special moves. That’s how I started learning every character. Not feeling the current system where you pick the trial and hopefully you get to pick a character to do it.

I thought there was a set of combo trials, that sucks.

At least Custom Trials are coming later I guess. There's also Dustloop Wiki if you need some samples.

The funny thing about dust combos is that they sort of do a shitload of damage even if you just mash out the double button. 

I forget regular Dust is even a thing honestly. Every time I get it is because I hit the button without a directional. Have people found it is useful as an overhead? People get real swingy in this game and full charged Dust seems a little slow to not get hit out of, intentionally or not.

I had the same reaction about character specific trials. Honestly I think the main reason they didn't do it is because that is something that gets a little weirder in the modern seasonal model. As patches and such roll in you can have trials that don't work anymore - SFV has a bunch of them after all these years. Custom Trials seems like something that can keep up with that over time in a better way which will be good (though I know shit all about it so maybe not).

10 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Seems like BRCs are (at least) projectile invulnerable

This was known before the first beta. Much like HiFight's day 1 "tech" video about canceling the RC, it was shown in the Basic Actions vid. 

9 hours ago, KingTubb said:

What's supposed to be shocking here? 

Ky's punish. It adds "Shock State" per Ky's special mechanic. 🤓

7 hours ago, Reticently said:

Just guessing here, but because that was a slide BRC I don't think it will help you against a meaty fireball because you'll have at least a frame of dash before your RC starts.

Actually... I think you can buffer a directional dash so when you push RC it'll notice the buffered dash and use it.  This is true for Red RCs per one of my text walls a page or two ago, and I would assume it works for blue & purple as well.   Try it?  Especially because there is no upward or downward dash so that has to work somehow.

Remember: the slide RC is NOT a momentum-carry from doing an ordinary dash. They are different mechanics.

6 hours ago, Reticently said:

Idk how character specific this is, but when doing post Dust launcher air combos, air dash feel MUCH more consistent as a combo extender than double jump does.

For me it depended on positioning and the combo.  Ky's jumping "strider slash" needs a dash at range, but if I land it close I can d.Jump and immediately strider again, which comes out really fast, no time for the opponent to fall.  Also: if the opponent is cornered I find d.jump preferable over airdash.

5 hours ago, Volt said:

Yes, it's in the Mission mode notes. Also you get an extra double jump from the Dust launcher, so many characters can HS S jump HS S jump HS S spike. 

4 hours ago, Reticently said:

Specifically if you push the same button twice in a row.  My super scrubby Anji post launcher air combo is H,D, dash, S,D,D, which seems undroppable even with piss poor execution.

Can confirm this is possible with piss poor execution.  😄 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
7 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Have people found it is useful as an overhead? People get real swingy in this game and full charged Dust seems a little slow to not get hit out of, intentionally or not.

I had the same reaction about character specific trials.

You needn't charge Dust to get the overhead, just tap it.  I've used it to tap a turtling Nago but until I find a combo off of it then it's just basically a Street Fighter overhead useful for ending a round.

There's 2 character specific trials. The last Mission Mode trial for Maps 3 & 4 (&5?) are "Do a Fancy Combo". The combo changes depending on who you pick, albeit not by much. 

i.e.:  Ky's  was HS S sweep Super but Sol's was S S sweep Super. 

10 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

You needn't charge Dust to get the overhead, just tap it.  I've used it to tap a turtling Nago but until I find a combo off of it then it's just basically a Street Fighter overhead useful for ending a round.

Yeah sorry, I sort of mushed all the Dust usage together there. 

The thing about the regular OH that throws me is that it is kinda slow (20f, not sure if universal), very negative (-15ish or worse?) though it does good damage for a single hit. Not sure if you can get stuff off of CH but that wouldn't surprise me. It just seems kinda risky for what it is though I guess the SF analogy is closer to what it should be used for and with RISC you could potentially get a big 'ol CH starter. Worth trying out more I suppose.

11 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Non-charged dust can be comboed from a red RC. The bubble will pop them and you can follow up from that. I’ve seen some Nagos and Nage’s Faust do it.

Yeah I had a duh moment as I was thinking about it more. It's actually pretty similar to HoS 2H in +R so now I've got the gears turning a bit more. No pun intended.

1 hour ago, Mattatsu said:

the animations usually look more like a launcher than an overhead to me

Same, but IIRC it looks that way because the Dust "overhead" forces stand.  I think. So if you land it and RRC, well party time with any normal you wish.

This makes sense visually despite our name "overhead". It always hits upward, whether it's hard enough to knock them skyward or just stand 'em up depends on charge. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
11 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

May is Ultra Instinct E honda.

dolphins are headbutts

dolphins are safe

heavy dolphin is plus on block

counterhit dolphin combos into another dolphin

counterhit heavy dolphin combos into fucking command grab

this is a level of ignorance I haven't seen since tanya in mkx

Damn, it's worse than I thought. Explains why my tweet is blowing up like an atom bomb.

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

the Dust "overhead" forces stand. So if you land it and RRC, well party time with any normal you wish.

I just tested uncharged Dust > IRRC > whatever -- and there's a wrinkle.  If you avoid the shockwave to keep the opponent grounded for a better punish, for several frames after the overhead lands they're considered airborne (as well as "standing" since high strikes will still connect).  So overhead > IRRC (no shockwave) > most buttons will hit them in the air, but  overhead > IRRC > HS will hit them grounded, because the HS is slow enough that they'll land on the ground again.  And still combos.  

Obviously this may be character dependent.  Maybe Pot's or Nago's S is slow enough to combo grounded while May or Millia need a frame kill. 

EDIT: wall stick into charged Dust launcher doesn't work, unsurprisingly.  You can get it to connect on full charge, but it just breaks the wall.  Maybe if you could side-switch beforehand but I can't think of any way to do so. 

Shoutouts to Training Mode's wall break option: you can set to "Instant wall stick" or "rapid regen" or just normal. So yes, the wall has HP which regens at some rate. 

EDIT 2: you can't IRC with Taunt. 😢 Taunt will not cancel the shockwave.  Notable only because one of the Taunts is a "Respect" and Respect can itself be slow-canceled, making it a good framekill.  

EDIT 3: you can't do any RC into Gold Burst to turn one bar of meter into two.  The burst shockwave will simply pass through the helpless opponent. 😞 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
4 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Remember: the slide RC is NOT a momentum-carry from doing an ordinary dash. They are different mechanics.

I think I was wrong, or at least partly. Testing says that, in neutral, dash xx BRC works fine for forward/backward, grounded and airborne both, so that is kind of a momentum-carry. And I can't find any "stack the general momentum carry with slide RC for full-stage sliding RC" physics abuse.  But vertical slides, as well as RCing from attacks where you can't actually dash still must use the buffered method.  Interestingly, in neutral, if you press BRC, Dash, and a direction all at the same exact time, no slide happens. It seems that all times, we must dash before RC even when it seems that it should work with simultaneous presses.

Interestingly, if you hold down Dash on the ground, most characters will do a continuous run.  Run long enough (more than 10-ish frames?) and the RC won't slide.  But, you can run as long as you want to to do a sliding attack. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
5 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

There's 2 character specific trials. The last Mission Mode trial for Maps 3 & 4 (&5?) are "Do a Fancy Combo". The combo changes depending on who you pick, albeit not by much. 

i.e.:  Ky's  was HS S sweep Super but Sol's was S S sweep Super. 

Combo trials are my favorite FG content that isn’t PvP or training mode so personally I find this really disappointing.

I like trials because completing the hard ones is satisfying, but more importantly also because they give you a starting idea of what your character can do. Like in XRD Baiken’s trials show you her j.D loops, IA Youzan combos, tatami RC combos, etc. It’s typically sub-optimal but to me that’s actually a bonus since that gives me more things to find and lab on my own. 

Of course we have YT for all that stuff now but it’s kinda like frame data where I’d prefer it to actually be in the game.

45 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

..and right on cue, the Megashock GG thread has eclipsed the length of the SFV Story thread.  😏

"Strong from the start" sounds like shots fired.  😏

You know GG will have made it when the GG thread becomes the de facto FG General. 

When people talk about Oro or Akira in here for like 3 pages and set up VF5 matches then we can break out the champagne. 

2 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Games?

I'm fuckin beat tonight but I think I'll be around tomorrow evening for games. Not that it is particularly helpful right now.

18 minutes ago, Volt said:

I actually think the opposite. Having this much daily activity *without* going off-topic is much more impressive.

Goddammit Volt yes we all know that is true and great but I'm making an in joke here

Nevermind you ruined it 😭

Everyone enjoy May mirrors. The start of the 2nd game is wonderful.

EDIT: The round at 17:30. I'm fuckin dying. 🤣

Edited by GetTheTables